Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland March 17 – Day 7 Complete in Hong Kong Proper; 12/04

The DIY Guide on what NOT to do for Suzhou – What we Got Right – The Lion Forest Garden Tour

On the tour that we kinda fell into, our first stop was the Lion Grove Garden. Google Maps provided me with the rough orientation of where the Lion Forest Garden was in relation to the Suzhou Railway Station. It’s located at 23 Yuanlin Grove in the Pingjiang area of Suzhou.

When we got outside the garden, the person who had ‘led’ us there started to gabble in Mandarin and then there was a flurry of activity. It seemed that there was an exchange of cell-phone numbers going on between the other people from the bus and him. When I went up to him with my Hong Kong number, he just shook his head and refused to take my number down. He also didn’t give me his number. My mother did try and ask him a question….but he just disappeared!

So we were left to ask some of the other people from the bus. Turns out that the ‘tour’ we had stumbled on was a go-at-your-own pace concept. When we were ready to leave, we just needed to text the ‘guide’ and he would then meet us somewhere. Before we knew it, those people we asked disappeared as well…..in the opposite direction to the garden and into the street…..for some shopping!!!

Ok. Where did that leave us?!?!?!?!

Well….it left us staring at the entry to the Garden. My mother reads enough Chinese to tell me that this says Lion Forest Garden.

As one of the four best known Classical Gardens in Suzhou, the Lion Grove is a typical southern garden of Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368). The Lion Grove garden was first built in 1342 by the Monk Tianru and other disciples in memory of their teacher, the monk Zhongfeng. The garden is approximately 10,000 square meters and contains 22 pavilions, 71 steles, and numerous other works of art.

It is said that Emperor Qianlong (18th century) visited the site six times and inscribed the word "Zhenqu" (true delight) to describe the garden's beauty.The inscription is still on display in a pavilion of the same name.

In its early years, the garden was famous as a place of retreat for painters and calligraphers. After Tianru's death, the garden passed through a number of hands and declined in later centuries. In 1917, the garden was bought by a wealthy pigment trader Bei Runsheng, who did a great expansion and renovation to the garden for 9 years. After Bei Runsheng’s death in 1945, the garden was taken over by his grandson and offsprings, who denoted the garden to the country later after the founding of People’s Republic of China in 1949. After another renovation by the government, Lion Grove was opened to the public in 1954.

We figured there might have been some other people from the ‘small group’ that had headed on into the garden, so we thought we might as well go in and see how it all unfolded.

The Entrance Hall. Ceremony halls, located near the entrance of the garden, have their own courtyard and are used for family celebrations.

I guess this was the entrance hall courtyard.

Even at this early stage, this garden was ticking off some of the things I had hoped to see on this trip to China.

There were a lot of people walking through the garden but I found a quite spot to get a picture memory.

It was here that my mother found someone that she recognised from the minivan. She struck up a conversation with him and despite his obvious initial reluctance, he eventually relented and let us tag along with him and his son.

Our new ‘friends’ were initially wary of us. We did politely keep our distance for a bit. However, this garden was such a labyrinth of buildings, open spaces and corridors that eventually we all came to the tacit understanding that it was probably best if we stuck together. You really don’t need words!

We got to another open courtyard. This garden is famous for its rockery, which is mostly made of limestone taken from Taihu lake. The rocks have been piled up into forms resembling lions. The name of the garden "Lion Grove," came from a reference to lions in a Buddhist story which included descriptions of a rocky place in a bamboo forest (resembling the garden).

I think I can see a lion in that central rock! In fact, I think it’s called the Nine Lions Peak.

As we walked, my mother overheard the older gentleman talk to his son. My mother understood enough to know that this older gentleman was telling his son all about the history of the garden and the rocks and the design elements of the garden.

The father was also telling his son to take pictures of this and of that. His son shot with a Canon 80D; and after a while, it was obvious to me that he was a relatively novice photographer. After politely watching from the sideline for a while, I started to show them the pictures I had taken and that kinda cemented the coexistence friendship. I may not be able to speak Mandarin, but I could talk f-stop, ISO and shutter speed with the son through the back of a camera screen. The father would then tell my mother what “we” should take a picture of….my mother would tell me…..I would take the picture…..and then show the picture and settings to the son. You really don’t need words!

The father rattled off all sorts of things about the building. I guess it’s one of those halls that this garden is noted for. The father liked my interpretation of the hall and the son has a similar version in his collection.

Onwards we went.

We entered the Room for Bowing to the Peak and Pointing to the Cypress.

It was an amazing space filled with classical rosewood furniture, traditional wall hangings and oriental lamp shades. I gather this could be one of the Principal Pavilions of a Classical Garden that are used for receiving guests and celebrating big holidays with a large crowd.

Windows form essential part of a Chinese garden. They provide a view to the outside garden and are meant to complement the setting rather than dominate it.

We kept going to the Ancient Five Pines Courtyard…..

……and eventually came out to the Lion Grove Garden Pond area.

It was here that you truly appreciate what a magnificent space and what a large garden this is!

I took a picture of the father with my mother.

We learnt a bit about our new friends here. Aside from the father knowing a bit about the garden (turns out he had done significant research on this garden), we were to find out that he is a Classical Chinese painter. His son had some pictures of his father’s work on his cell phone and he showed them to us. They were stunning! You know the type of Chinese painting you find of the Chinese landscape/countryside with all the bamboo, mountains, flowers etc? That’s the type he does.

They were so stunning and amazing that my mother asked the father if he was famous. He smiled and modestly replied “not really”; and the son said “yes”. I do have his Chinese name and I need to bump into a friend of mine that can read Chinese and google in Chinese text. I will not be surprised to find out that the father is truly famous. The telling fact was that his household consists of 15 people. I figure you wouldn’t have a household of 15 people if you weren’t notable enough to have the means to support that number; nor need that many helpers around the house if you a weren’t prominent person in China.

His son turned out to be equally as eminent. He is a Professor of Chinese Literature at a University.

This is the inside of a stone boat. It’s more recently built (I think it was added during Bei Runshing’s time); but I liked the windows.

The garden is most famous for its elaborate grotto of taihu rocks. The grotto contains a maze of 9 paths winding through 21 caves across 3 levels. At the top of the grotto is the Lion Peak, surrounded by four other stones - Han Hui, Xuan Yu, Tu Yue, and Ang Xiao - which collectively form the Famous Five Peaks.

Water is a very traditional element in a Chinese Garden. In China, water symbolizes communication and dreams. The lake/pond here was extensive! Lots of dream time.

I spent time exploring the grotto.

Naturally I found my way to the top of Lion Peak.

My mother and the father sat it out.

The pond divides the grotto into the east and west sections. I didn’t quite make it to the west side, and I wish I had. There’s a waterfall on that side of the garden.

There was just so much to see on the east side!

And the views were stunning.

It wasn’t just the view, I was charmed by the details on the path as well.

Naturally, I got lost and it took me a while to make it back to my mother and our new friends.

By this stage, we had spent over 2 hours in this garden and it was definitely time to move on. We made our way out, via another set of pavilions.

The son and I were snapping away to our heart’s content at all the details.

The final building, which I believe was the original family residence and where the exit is.

We had been quite happy with how the Lion Forest Garden turned out. It had exceeded my expectations and my mother even commented that it was a better garden than the Humble Administrator’s Garden, which she visited on a previous visit.

We made new friends in the father and son and I hope to catch up with my Chinese friend soon so that I can send them a message to keep in contact.

(Continued in Next Post)

The DIY Guide on what NOT to do for Suzhou – What we Got Right – The Grand Canal Cruise

After we got out of the Lion Forest Garden, the son contacted the tour operator and one of them came to the garden exit to get us. Just as well we hooked up with the father and son. I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to get a-hold of the tour operator again!

We walked down this street, which I think is Yuanlin Road. The white wall on the left is the Garden and you can see how everyone totally respects road traffic here.

I could see why some of the group disappeared outside for some shopping. There were a few grocery and food stores plus shops selling silk, water pearls and general knick-knack souvenirs. They looked pretty interesting to me. Maybe next time.

Sadly for us, we had to say goodbye to our new friends at this point. I wish we had stayed with them and continued with their tour. But they didn’t want to go on the Grand Canal and we did.

At this point, our ‘small tour’ started to take a slight turn for the worse. We ended up on a tour bus; with about 50 other people. This was definitely not what I signed up for but we were still willing to go with the flow.

The bus took us to a docking area. Don’t ask me where….all I know is that we drove past some of the older part of Suzhou and I’m kicking myself for not taking any decent pictures of the town.

The barges we got on resembled the stone boat structures in the garden.

We found seats by the window and settled in.

And we watched the land slip by.

The Beijing-Hanzhou Grand Canal is the world's earliest and longest man-made waterway. It’s approximately 1,800km long, which is 9 times longer than the Suez Canal. The canal connects the present cities Beijing in the north and Hangzhou in the south, which served as dynastic capitals in the past, and contains 24 locks and 60 bridges. Since most of China's major rivers flow from west to east, the fact that the Grand Canal runs north and south provides it as an important connector, both in economics and culture, between the Yangtze River valley and the Yellow River valley, and other minor river systems. The Grand Canal allowed barges to transport rice from the Yangzi to the Yellow River and on to Luoyang and Kaifeng, the ancient capitals of China. It allowed the rulers of the day to ensure that they maintained the status quo. Afterall, as any ruler knew, hungry locals were more likely to rebel, and unfed soldiers couldn’t be counted on to keep both the peasants and potential invaders in check. In June 2014, Unesco finally inscribed the Grand Canal on its World Heritage List. Something for my next trip….when I make it to Beijing, I think I’m going to need to seek out the Grand Canal in Beijing’s suburb of Tongzhou.

The building of the canal began in 506 BC during the Wu State in Spring and Autumn Period. It was extended during the Qin Dynasty, and later by Emperor Yangdi of the Sui Dynasty during six years of furious construction from 605-610 AD. Since construction began, there has always been the Grand Canal in Suzhou, making it the center of the universe for thousands of businessmen. Of course, the route of the Grand Canal has been re-done quite a few times since it was first built and the current route between Beijing and Hanzhou is much more direct.

The barge took us past quite a few bridges. A few were of the modern, concrete style….

….and a few were the old stone bridges.

We also drifted past local homes.

I wonder what the price of real estate is here?

There was a guide that followed us on to the Canal cruise. My mother was listening to his commentary and translating for me. This was apparently the most famous bridge in all of Suzhou.

I’m guessing it’s Wumen Bridge, a single span stone bridge built in the 1870’s that’s over 9 meters tall.

By this point, my mother and I agreed that this part of the tour was also a winner.

The world kept drifting by.

And we drifted by the world.

I found the bridges to be rather interesting.

Even the more modern ones had interesting things to look at when you cruised on by.

It’s a completely different world under a bridge.

Heck…it’s a completely different world over a bridge.

Next time I plan a more leisurely trip to China, I’m definitely going to want to spend at least 3 nights in Suzhou.

I think walking around the canal/river would be a nice way to pass an afternoon.

Especially if there are coffee stops along the way!

We did pass the Panmen area twice. It’s about where the Wumen bridge is. I captured the Land and Water Gate on the way back. It looks lovely there and it will be on my list of places to visit in more detail next time I’m in Suzhou.

All in all, we were on the cruise for about an hour.

Best I can figure out, we covered a small area of the ‘Grand Canal’. That Panmen Gate is what I’ve used to work out where we were.

We had been quite happy with how the Canal Cruise turned out. It had met my expectations. Next time, I’d like to see more of the Grand Canal…and certainly see sections where it passes through the old part of town. I think I’d also like to see it at night. I did notice the lights along the canal/river and I think it would be amazing at night!

(Continued in Next Post)

The DIY Guide on what NOT to do for Suzhou – What we Got Right – Ditching the Tour

At this point, our ‘small tour’ headed south very rapidly. We ended back on the bus, thinking we would head to another Garden or to the old town area. Sadly, we were heading for a Silk Factory. The guide on the bus was definitely talking in a highly-animated manner and my mother translated that he was talking up the quality of silk and that we should all be buying some silk bedsheets.

I definitely don’t remember ticking a silk factory!

We weren’t the only ones on the bus unhappy with the next destination. There was at least another man on the bus yelling at the guide that he didn’t have time to go to a silk factory and that he didn’t sign up to go there either.

“No problem”, the guide responded. “You can always leave the tour at any time you choose”.

To compound matters, the guide said that we would be at the Silk Factory for about 2 hours. Plenty of time to look at everything the factory had to sell and for us to buy everything in the factory.

After a quick conference with my mother, we figured it might be time to ditch the tour. For AU$60, we figured we’d gotten enough value from the Lion Forest Garden and the Canal Cruise.

So, when we arrived at the factory, out of courtesy, my mother went to tell the guide that we weren’t staying with the tour. The guide did try and convince us to stay but he didn’t try very hard. He figured that we were deadly serious about ditching the tour.

“When I go to Australia, I buy all sorts of Australian things…koalas, kangaroos. You are very rude. When you come to China, you must buy our Chinese things in return. If I can spend money in Australia, you can spend money in China. Goodbye.”

Say what?

Yes. According to my mother, that’s what he said to her before turning his back on her and walking away.

We had no problem turning our backs and walking away after that response.

(Continued in Next Post)

The DIY Guide on what NOT to do for Suzhou – What we Did Right – Stumbling across the Xiyuan Temple

Okay. I can see you all sitting there in the comfort of your homes shaking your head in disbelief.

We did what? We ditched the tour!

We were in a strange town, and not knowing where we were, nor how to get back to the train station. What were we thinking?

Yes. We. Ditched. the. Tour.

Well….you see, we were watching where the bus was heading to and the bus turned off a fairly main road and headed down a couple of hundred meters to the silk factory. We also noticed that there was a gas station and an army barracks down that road. In fact, the army barracks was located about 2 doors down from the silk factory and there were at least 5 or 6 army personnel stationed at the gate along the road.

We kinda figured we would head back to the main road and see if we could find a taxi to take us back to the train station.

Besides, there was a very pretty canal right next to that road.

There are over 300 canals in Suzhou. We were bound to stumble on one!

Just past the army barracks and the gas station, we came across another 2 bridges.

They were charming enough to tempt us to walk across one of them.

I think you can see the gas station. Where the green bus is, you’ll find the army barracks. The silk factory is just a little further along. Do you also see the orange wall on the right?

My luck was holding.

We had stumbled on the Xiyuan Temple. It cost us 25 Yuan to enter.

At nearly 2.5 acres, Xiyuan Temple is the largest Buddhist monastery in Suzhou. The Temple was founded in the Yuan Dynasty. That’s from the days of Kublai Khan in 1270. I was to find out later that it is located on Liyuan Road and is also knows as the West Garden Temple.

The garden belonged to a Senior Government Official, the Core Minister, during the Ming Dynasty. When the official passed, his son donated the garden to the monastery. Unfortunately, most of the buildings were demolished during the civil war between the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom and Ta Tsing Empire periods in 1860. The monks rebuilt the Temple immediately after the war.

There were two towers along the entry walkway. One is the Bell Tower, and the other is the Drum Tower. As they were locked up, your guess is as good as mine as to which is which.

It really is a monastery temple. I was to come across acolytes everywhere!

It didn’t take long for my mother and I to realise that we had completely fluked it right by ditching the tour.

This place was beautiful and serenely quiet!

We were really fighting for our personal space here.

This is the temple that the monks rebuilt.

There were signs indicating that photography was not allowed inside the temple and I can totally respect that.

We followed the yellow brick wall and curled eaves……..

….to a building structure called Arhat Hall. I seemed to have missed taking a picture of the building; but there were signs indicating that photography was not allowed in the hall either.

Arhat Hall was amazing.

There was a collection of 500 life-sized statues of gilded Buddhist saints that just had to be seen to be believed.

If the temple and hall weren’t enough, this place also has a garden area to explore.

Okay. Compared to the Lion Forest Garden, it’s positively sparse. But there were still some features worth looking at.

The temple is home to the Life-Releasing Pond. It was quite pretty around here with. In the pond, we found the Huxin Pavilion.

Tortoises have been living in this pond since the Ming Dynasty. There is a legend of a turtle that is over 300 years old. We looked, but all we found was this old guy.

We did rub his head for luck.

We did find some fish in the pond.

I also came across some bonsai.

In this part of the garden, there were people reading palms and telling fortunes.

There was also a teahouse. I didn’t enquire about the price.

By this stage, we’ve pretty much covered most of the Temple and the Garden. And time was quickly running out on us.

So, we made our way out of the temple.

We had been quite happy with how ditching the tour turned out. It could have all gone horribly wrong but if we hadn’t ditched the tour, we wouldn’t have seen the Xiyuan Temple. Next time….well, there won’t be a next time. I’d have my tour guide and touring plans all sorted out before I leave home.

(Continued in Next Post)

The DIY Guide on what NOT to do for Suzhou – The 12 Yuan Man aka How NOT to take a Picture of a Local

On the way out, I decided to take the other bridge across the canal. I had wanted to capture the first bridge we went over.

Unlike the other bridge, there were some locals on this bridge. One of them was begging for money. I thought he had a very interesting face; so I asked if I could take his picture. He demanded money in return. I put 2 Yuan in his jar and pulled the camera out. He kept shaking his head and putting his hand in front of his face. So, because I was feeling compassionate, I pulled 10 Yuan out (it was the smallest note I had in my purse) and he snaffled that note away before it was even out of my purse!

This time, when I pulled my camera out, he let me take his picture.

I ended up with 3 similar pictures. And because I took 3 pictures, the old man started to demand more money. He made such a noise about it, that the other person on the bridge (someone who was trying to get us to pay money in return for reading our palms and tell us our fortune) came over to see what all the noise was about.

And when she found out what I had done, she started to scold me. Apparently, 2 Yuan was MORE than enough. Handing over the 10 Yuan note was not the done thing!

So, there I was….on the bridge….with the 12 Yuan man and the fortune teller yelling at me. We drew quite an audience.

Yeah. Just what I needed. More attention! And all because I felt like being kind to the beggar. We just made our exit as quick as we could.

Aussie Wendy was to ask me later in the day if I felt unsafe about taking his picture in a strange place when we didn’t know where we were. In particular, she asked about whether I felt uncomfortable about having my expensive camera out with the beggars. You know….I didn’t even give it much of a thought at that time and during the whole exchange, I never once felt unsafe.

Afterall, the army barracks was just down the road; and there were 2 security men outside the temple gates as well.

(Continued in Next Post)

The DIY Guide on what NOT to do for Suzhou – What we Got Right – A Rickshaw Ride

It ended up being surprisingly easy to get back to the train station. When we got to the cross-road, we found a shopping mall there. And there were a row of bus stops just outside the mall. When we got to the bus stop, we flagged a taxi almost immediately and got back to the train station. The taxi ride cost us about 40 Yuan.

We got back in such good time to the train station, that we thought we would find out if we could get back on an earlier train to Shanghai. To cut a long story short, finding the right hall and right window at Suzhou Train Station was only just marginally easier than at Shanghai Train Station this morning. And it turned out to be an exercise in futility. It was Friday evening. Every train to Shanghai was fully booked.

That left us with time to kill and I had one thing left on my list to tick off.

We went in search of a rickshaw. We had seen them in the same area where we found the tuk-tuk this morning.

This time, I made sure that we double checked the fee for the both of us. We got a ride on the rickshaw for about 30 Yuan. At 30 Yuan, that equates to about $6 in my money. Aside from making sure that the amount was for both of us, I didn’t even bother to get my mother to haggle.

We were heading along one of the sections of the Grand Canal. At one point of the road, there was a slight hill. The rickshaw rider sure earnt his money!

He was also incredibly kind. He had heard me clicking away in the back seat and when we got to this vantage point, he stopped and got me to get out to take a picture. That’s looking at the Canal/River and one of the ancient Gates. I never did get the name of the gate; but it’s the one opposite the Railway Station.

That’s him and the rickshaw, with my mother in it. I haven’t been in one since my childhood, so it was nice to revisit memories from a more innocent age!

He cycled us further along and again, stopped at another local park.

I was more than happy to snap away.

I know it’s not old; but it was still rather pretty here.

I guess I was seeing another section of the Grand Canal.

I asked if I could take his picture. I didn’t have to hand over 12 Yuan for this one.

We had successfully ticked the clock down closer towards our scheduled train ride back to Shanghai.

The rider took us back to the train station and told us that next time, we should probably allocate more time for a rickshaw ride. Apparently, they do cover a little more ground and take you into the old town section of Suzhou.

We thanked him and in the hand, we gave him 40 Yuan. He did spend more time than we agreed and he had been very kind to stop off at some of the local scenic spots for me to take pictures.

I did spend a little bit of time making sure that I grabbed a proper picture of that Gate.

It must look beautiful at night!

I have to say that Suzhou exceeded my expectations. Despite the ups and downs of the local ‘tour’, we managed to get around with very little planning. There had been a lot of luck involved with the day and also a lot of going with the flow, but sometimes those end up being the best days! In the end, we ended up seeing one of the 4 major gardens (although The Lion Forest Garden may not have been my first pick), took a ride down the Grand Canal, stumbled across a Temple and also got to ride in a rickshaw. I think I ticked off 4 out of the 5 things I wanted to do. The one thing left was to see the Old Town/Hutong area. Maybe next time. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Although....I'd definitely make sure I had everything locked in before leaving home. I would also stay at Suzhou for 3 nights. There sure is a lot to see here.

With that, we headed to our waiting area and platform to catch the train back to Shanghai.

princess::upsidedow

OK, I got through the update of getting there. So I'll comment on that for now.

Those noodles sound delicious! Now I want a big bowl of Pho for breakfast!

You have convinced me that if we go to China we will definitely hire guides the whole way. How was China "accessibility wise"? Did you see any handicapped people functioning in the cities?

I really loved to read all about your trip to Suzhou. It looks like a fascinating city and you got a lot of ground covered even though not everything went according to plan.

So we were left to ask some of the other people from the bus. Turns out that the ‘tour’ we had stumbled on was a go-at-your-own pace concept. When we were ready to leave, we just needed to text the ‘guide’ and he would then meet us somewhere.

That sounds like a potential recipe for disaster.

It was here that my mother found someone that she recognised from the minivan. She struck up a conversation with him and despite his obvious initial reluctance, he eventually relented and let us tag along with him and his son.

That was a bit of luck.

After politely watching from the sideline for a while, I started to show them the pictures I had taken and that kinda cemented the coexistence friendship. I may not be able to speak Mandarin, but I could talk f-stop, ISO and shutter speed with the son through the back of a camera screen.

It is amazing how those kinds of things sometimes work out.

Aside from the father knowing a bit about the garden (turns out he had done significant research on this garden), we were to find out that he is a Classical Chinese painter.

Looks like you found some really interesting companions.

The Beijing-Hanzhou Grand Canal is the world's earliest and longest man-made waterway. It’s approximately 1,800km long, which is 9 times longer than the Suez Canal.

Wow, that is really impressive.

At this point, our ‘small tour’ headed south very rapidly. We ended back on the bus, thinking we would head to another Garden or to the old town area. Sadly, we were heading for a Silk Factory.

What a pain.

We had stumbled on the Xiyuan Temple.

It just goes to show that quite often things happen for a reason.

Corinna

Firstly I really appreciate the big effort to write this up just for me! I was reading this first thing in the morning before my prep for our trip tomorrow to make sure that I have time to action things if need be before I left!

What an adventure you've had! I'm starting to think that my mandarin is nowhere near good enough..arghh! How I wanted to slap some of those people on your behalf...

I love how you've captured the beauty of Chinese architecture. I think I took it for granted growing up and never appreciated until recently. Always thinking that it looked boring and ugly compared to the grand European buildings and gardens. Gasp. I know...how ignorant huh? Your travelling companions were fortunate indeed to have stumbled upon you and your mother. I'm sure they got amazing shots! And I wonder if they were reluctant at first because the father is indeed famous as you suspect and hence the wariness?!!?

There had been a lot of luck involved with the day and also a lot of going with the flow, but sometimes those end up being the best days!
Isn't it just so! When you stumble upon gems unexpectedly whether it be in the form of people, places or experiences is what makes the trip so memorable. It was how travelling used to be before the internet!

OK, I got through the update of getting there. So I'll comment on that for now.

Those noodles sound delicious! Now I want a big bowl of Pho for breakfast!

I hope you got some Pho in the last couple of days! I decided that I needed some Hot Pot; so we had the home version for dinner last night. I suspect home made Hot Pot might make it to my dinners a bit more over my winter months.

You have convinced me that if we go to China we will definitely hire guides the whole way.

You can either hire guides or book yourself in with one of those vacay tour companies. But knowing how you two travel, I think the individual guide might be the better way to go for you.

How was China "accessibility wise"? Did you see any handicapped people functioning in the cities?

I didn't see any handicapped people in Shanghai or in Suzhou.

However.....
Most of the Metro stations did have elevators going up and down. They might not have been located in the exit that you may want; but that just means a longer walk. The trains did have area for HA.

The areas that I headed to in Shanghai were mostly flat and well paved, so it would be easy to navigate. But then...my idea of flat and well-paved may not match yours. :(

The restrooms.....you know that China does a lot of squat toilets, right? But a lot of them might have Western style facilities at the back of most. There were one or two, in Suzhou, that only had the squat styles but not the Western ones.
But I did find HA facilities in most of the more Western/touristy areas, so unless you're going to wander off the beaten track, you should be okay. Disney definitely had them in all of the ones I went to around the park.

Disney also had elevators in the most unexpected locations to get you from a lower level up to the higher level. I didn't go seeking them; but I did stumble across at least one elevator that was very well incorporated into the design of the area.

I didn't see any one in scooters at Disney or outside in the cities. Outside....pedestrian traffic and motorised traffic is chaotic. People walk where they want and the two wheeled scooters and bicycles will go on sidewalks without too much regard for the pedestrians. If you're thinking about taking the scooters, you might want to take your scooters with very good brakes on them.

Last edited:
I really loved to read all about your trip to Suzhou. It looks like a fascinating city and you got a lot of ground covered even though not everything went according to plan.

I loved Suzhou. I think when I head back, I will plan 3 nights there and cover even more ground. It offered the history and cityscape that I was looking for. I suspect that I will love Beijing for the same reason as well.

That sounds like a potential recipe for disaster.

::yes:: I was rather concerned until we found the father and son.

It just goes to show that quite often things happen for a reason.

Corinna

Absolutely. I'm a firm believer in that as well. You never really know how things may turn out.

You really are a champion. Thank you! :worship:

Safe travels! Have a blast in Shanghai.
Although.....I expect that when you're reading this, you may well have completed your travels and are back home.

Well I did have a couple in mind but uh'd and um'd about booking. Thought perhaps I might book one at local rates when we get there....

Ah. That was the same as me.
You may have better luck with your hotel concierge than I did nearer Nanjing Road. I will be interested to hear how it all went with your guide.

Firstly I really appreciate the big effort to write this up just for me! I was reading this first thing in the morning before my prep for our trip tomorrow to make sure that I have time to action things if need be before I left!

I wish I could have finished up Shanghai for you. I still have the rest of the night, plus the next day to go before we headed to Disney.
Still....by the time you're reading this, you'll have your own experiences to add to the conversation. Hope you have fun!

What an adventure you've had! I'm starting to think that my mandarin is nowhere near good enough..arghh!

Any Mandarin will be better than none! I expect you'll find that your Mandarin will be more than sufficient.

How I wanted to slap some of those people on your behalf...

Next time, I'll take you with me! ;)

I love how you've captured the beauty of Chinese architecture. I think I took it for granted growing up and never appreciated until recently. Always thinking that it looked boring and ugly compared to the grand European buildings and gardens. Gasp. I know...how ignorant huh?

That's exactly like me, shushh. I think growing up in Asia.....you tend to be more Western centric.....and then to ignore the beauty of what you have in your backyard.
Oh well.....there's still time in our lives to head to Asia and appreciate the beauty of that continent.

Your travelling companions were fortunate indeed to have stumbled upon you and your mother. I'm sure they got amazing shots! And I wonder if they were reluctant at first because the father is indeed famous as you suspect and hence the wariness?!!?

I don't know if they got the better end of the association. I just know that we had a great time with them!

Isn't it just so! When you stumble upon gems unexpectedly whether it be in the form of people, places or experiences is what makes the trip so memorable. It was how travelling used to be before the internet!

At times, this trip to Shanghai brought back those days of travelling without the internet to me.

:rotfl2:

Wow what an interesting day you had! Glad it all turned out for the best in the end. And at least through the 'small group tour' you met your new Chinese friends :thumbsup2

Those noodles looked delish!

You did a great job of turning what could have been a disaster into a wonderful day! Especially loved your pics with the reflections.

Great update on your event filled day. Your Mother looks as sweet as candy. Mental note go to China get a private tour guide. The Lion Gardens look amazing.

Lol re trying to emotionally blackmail to the silk factory where the high pressure sales will start. Like the souks in Dubai. Yes no thanks too long in the tooth mate. You were very wise to make those decisions.

I loved all your photos. It's such a different culture and architecture fascinating to us in the West.

More great posts.
What a fabulous day you had - you squeezed so much in.
I'm going to have to go back and look at my photos of Suzhou as strangely none of your pics triggered any memories.
All I remember is being on a small boat travelling down small canals and there being a lot of lanterns and old buildings. Perhaps all we saw on our visit was an older part of town.
It seems there is plenty more to explore if I'm ever back in the area.

I loved Suzhou. I think when I head back, I will plan 3 nights there and cover even more ground. It offered the history and cityscape that I was looking for. I suspect that I will love Beijing for the same reason as well.

You should definitely add Beijing to the bucket list. You have such a wonderful way of absorbing and retelling history and there is just so much there.

Plus if you ever get the opportunity, visit the Li River. It's a photographers paradise, and my favourite of all the places we visited in China.

Wow what an interesting day you had! Glad it all turned out for the best in the end. And at least through the 'small group tour' you met your new Chinese friends :thumbsup2

Yes. I was very pleased to have met them. And it all worked out in the end. :)

Those noodles looked delish!

You did a great job of turning what could have been a disaster into a wonderful day! Especially loved your pics with the reflections.

Thank you!

I'm also relieved and pleased that it worked out the way it did.

Great update on your event filled day. Your Mother looks as sweet as candy.

Aww. You're sweet to say it. :flower3: I'll tell her you said so.

Mental note go to China get a private tour guide.

I should have booked one before I left. I just figured I would be able to get one at local rates when I got to China. I'm sure you can....I just didn't work out how!

The Lion Gardens look amazing.

::yes::

Lol re trying to emotionally blackmail to the silk factory where the high pressure sales will start. Like the souks in Dubai. Yes no thanks too long in the tooth mate. You were very wise to make those decisions.

On a different day and with a different agenda, I may have been willing to go to the silk factory. But not on this trip.

I loved all your photos. It's such a different culture and architecture fascinating to us in the West.

I found the architecture and culture fascinating as well. I'm definitely mellowing and being more accepting of my Asian heritage as I grow older!!! ;)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter