Sewer smell on ships?

Oh ok! I have no idea. All I know is that it happened every time and the brown spread seemed to pumped out from 2 areas on the side and would get larger and larger as it spread out to sea. We were aft. Maybe it was the thrusters and ports are just stinky, lol.

So what so they do with the waste on a 2 week cruise?

Heres a great article from Friends of the Earth about cruise ship pollution
libcloud.s3.amazonaws.com/93/3d/a/2562/2012_cruise_ship_report_card.pdf

DCL came #1! :cool1:

Been onboard 11 times on Wonder, Dream, and Magic, and never noticed anything (and we've stayed in various rooms, room types all over the ships). From what I've read it seems like it happens most on the Magic. Maybe I don't notice because I'm a stickler for keeping the toilet lid down (I do it at home), and I keep the door closed. I've never even noticed a slight odor.

The husband and I had that exact room (same room, same ship) for our September 2012 getaway. Yes, we noticed the smell, too. It wasn't so bad at first but by the end of the cruise it was gagging me. I thought maybe it was from the drains in the floor from the roll-in shower. That's a handicap accessible room. There's no bathtub and the shower is a large roll-in. I wouldn't say I'm never sailing the Dream because of it. I'd just hope to not get that experience again. LOL!

Yes, as I mentioned in my post it is an accessible room. There were obviously many factors that made them feel the way they did, but they upgraded at the port into that room and were not told it was HA. Disappointed to not have the tub but were willing to deal with it. Apparently the stateroom host and assistant were going into that bathroom from day 2 with masks on or towels covering their faces because the smell was so bad. I can't imagine being a happy camper either, especially on such a short cruise. It turns a relaxing vacation into once inconvenience after another. We were in 11000, the category V accessible down the hall and did not experience any such difficulty.

What will the cruise line do for you when you fuss? Can they move you?

If there are any available rooms, they might move you. But, they probably would try to fix things first, so it may not be very early into the cruise. I've read where some people were offered the move on the last night of their cruise, not much help there!

We had a horrible sewer smell in our room on the MAGIC for our Med cruise. We had two adjoining rooms, but only one had the smell. I was actually more ticked off by how they handled it than by the smell itself. At first, the room attendant acted like he didn't know what I was talking about, and then like he couldn't smell anything. He allegedly tried to fix it for a couple days. I finally put a call into the head room attendant person, she came in and right away said, "yes, it stinks." The next day, it was gone. I think they put tape over the drain.

DebbieOBX said:
What will the cruise line do for you when you fuss? Can they move you?

Really depends on how a given person handles the issue and what was done prior to the issue( was the issue fixable and are there rooms to move to) and space available on the ship. This is me but your more likely to get what you want if you speak to the big cheese politely rather then demanding. It also helps if you can say this problem existed for x amount of days while we've been onboard and its not fixed after repeated attempts and now is no longer an inconvenience and getting worse.

CaliforniaGirl09 said:
We had a horrible sewer smell in our room on the MAGIC for our Med cruise. We had two adjoining rooms, but only one had the smell. I was actually more ticked off by how they handled it than by the smell itself. At first, the room attendant acted like he didn't know what I was talking about, and then like he couldn't smell anything. He allegedly tried to fix it for a couple days. I finally put a call into the head room attendant person, she came in and right away said, "yes, it stinks." The next day, it was gone. I think they put tape over the drain.

It could of been something as simple as the room attendant was so used to the smell that to their senses its normal. Someone who may not have been in the room or experienced the smell they noticed just like you.
The part about the tape is what I was alluding to before. The ships haven't put 2 & 2 together on how to deal with the dry traps.

Yes - just off the sailed the Magic on Jan 8 NT Bahamas deck 6. My wife really noticed it so we kept the door shut. There were also little black flakes in the toilet. We brought a room deodorizer which helped a lot. It was not unbearable, just noticeable.

Paul

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter