Service dog experiences

Lauriko, great 1st post!

Welcome to disboards. Thanks for your info I will look for those booties. Do they ever really get used to walking in them or do they always look like Pluto walking around? :)

The kennel for AK day is something I plan to do for him too.

Have a great day. I'm gonna start another thread but what flying experience do you have with your SD?

Thanks, YO

GO BRONCOS!!!
Thanks!

Hahaha they can get used to the boots. Some do and some don't. Pip has been returned for Advanced Training and my current puppy Jilly is just getting used to the boots now. She's currently wearing them and hopping around the house. With time they usually get used to wearing them, but will still walk funny for a few minutes after putting them on.

I have never actually flown with my pups. When we travel to Disney, we drive. As a Puppy Raiser, my pups fall into a very gray area when it comes to taking them on the plane. They are not full working dogs, and I am technically not a trainer. Therefore, I don't fall under any of the laws. Some airlines allow Puppy Raisers to bring aboard Puppies-In-Training, and others do not. I'm sure other people will be able to give you advice on that!

Cash, my first service dog, had a digestive system that had a very difficult time adjusting to the change in water... I had to be sure to give him a mix of tap water and bottled water for a day or so before he could tolerate the plain tap water in Orlando. We visited WDW and Disneyland several times and I came to realize that theme parks are full of "make or break" situations for service dogs. Those that are experienced and courageous have a much easier time and provide much better "service" than others whose experience with slow lines, booties, crowds, huge animated characters (especially those that chase service dogs (yes, Cash was chased by one of the goofy bears (one of three whose names I forget at the moment) and also a storm trooper taking a break from the Star Wars parade) is more limited by either training or life experience. Cash did love the boat ride in The Land and watching the inhabitants in The Living Sea... and the fireworks, (but not the sound effects stage attraction), and the rabbits in the rose garden...:thumbsup2

I've just been getting used to these boards, but saw this thread and was intrigued to see what experiences other people have had at WDW.

I am a Puppy Raiser for an organization and have taken the last 3 puppies that I have raised to Disney. It's such a great training experience! Here are some things that I have found to work:
~Before leaving for your trip, get your pup used to wearing booties of some kind. We use Mutt Lukks since they are easy to stuff into a backpack. If your dogs doesn't get used to those, then we have used Musher's Secret to put on their paws. The pavement in the parks can get VERY hot in the warmer months. I usually will press my hand to the ground to check the temperature. If my hand burns, then the boots go on!
~Again, before leaving, get your pup used to large crowds and loud noises. Very important! Many dogs are well trained, but some aren't used to the masses at Disney. I have seen some working dogs in Disney balk about the simplest things that could've been worked on before even leaving for your trip. It saves a headache later!
~Carry a backpack of some sort. The less that your pup has to carry, the better for him/her. There's a lot of walking involved in the parks and the added weight of bowls and such is hard on a dog. I usually have a sling backpack with me that contains clean up supplies, water, bowl, boots, a small towel, hand sanitizer, a meal for the pup, and any extra equipment that can be folded up.
~I definitely agree with everyone about the "no petting" rule. I allow the characters to interact with the puppies, but other people in the parks are not allowed to pet.
~As for rides, we have used rider swaps on some of the more fast-paced rides so that the dogs don't have to get stressed while on them. Please don't take the dogs on Toy Story Mania...it's really stressful for them and the whipping about is rough even on us humans!
~I was just in Disney last September and was pleased to see that they have moved the potty areas to the inside of the parks. They are small, but it's so much nicer having them inside the park than having to go behind the scenes to locate them. The Disability maps have them clearly marked on them and if I remember correctly there are about 4 per park.
~The transportation has been very accommodating and I usually have my pups lay under the seat that I am sitting on. Since most of the time it's standing room only on the buses, this has kept them out of the way and not getting stepped on.
~We've also used the Best Friend kennels. I leave the pup there on the day that we plan on going to the Animal Kingdom. We try to plan that day for the middle of our trip so that the pup gets a day of rest.

Take lots of breaks during the hotter parts of the day and just keep an eye on your pup for the cues that they give you. They're very good about letting us know that they have had enough! My puppy, Pip, was tired of meeting all the princesses, but I was having so much fun!

Hope this helps!

I know you!! Welcome to the boards!!

Lauriko, great 1st post!

Welcome to disboards. Thanks for your info I will look for those booties. Do they ever really get used to walking in them or do they always look like Pluto walking around? :)

The kennel for AK day is something I plan to do for him too.

Have a great day. I'm gonna start another thread but what flying experience do you have with your SD?

Thanks, YO

GO BRONCOS!!!

We have flown many times with our daughters' service dog. When you make your airline reservations, always let the airline know that you have a service dog. Try to request the 'bulkhead' seats. It will give the dog a little more room to lay down in. We always try to get an early flight. We don't feed the dog the morning of the flight. We also try to limit his water intake. We also bring him some kind of chew bone especially for take-offs and landings. That seems to be the only time that the flight bothers him. He has been on two hour flights from NJ to Florida and a six out flight to Vancouver. Also, check with the airline to see what type of paperwork they require. Some will ask to see it at the check-in counter and some will not. Some TSA agents will ask you to take off the dogs collar and leash to go through the x-ray. We NEVER do that! We always ask for an agent to pat him down. If you plan ahead, flying with a service dog is pretty easy.

Thanks for your perspective, lauriko.

This is a picture of one of the 'service dog potty' areas.
image95.jpg

This one happens to be in AK, near First Aid, but they are scattered around each park. All are marked with signs (themed to the area, but with the same picture).

My youngest DD has a Service Dog, but we have never brought him to the parks with us. The things he does for her (picking things up and bringing us to her) are not things she really needs that much on vacation since we are with her all the time.

We live in Minnesota, so get great extremes (from frigid cold right now) to as warm and humid as Florida. Niles has never liked boots and could not get used to them. We use Musher's Secret for both warm and cold. I agree that if the ground/pavement is too hot for you to touch, it is too hot for the dog to be walking on and you need to be very careful.

FYI, papers showing "certification" of a service dog are not actually required when flying within the US, although most airlines will ask for them. Verbal assurance from the service dog user does legally count as "proof" in the ACAA.

It's definitely worth familiarizing yourself with the ACAA (Air Carriers Access Act) before flying. Not only will it be useful when it comes to flying with a service dog, but also knowing your rights as a disabled person and who to ask for should you have problems with the front line staff.

Thank you all for your comments.

I am really getting good info and understand better that Disney is accommodating and won't be an issue.
I realize WDW is just like every place else some people know what they are doing and others don't.
The CM who was acting as though your dog had to have a vest was out of line. You are not required
To have any identifying materials on a SD. I agree that it is usually better to get out of the way to feed or water
As you can get too many unwanted distractions. We have an 18 month old Golden Doodle who if I must say is very cute and
We get lots of questions everywhere we go just because they want to get friendly so they then can ask to pet him.

Do all of you use boots in the summer months?
Anyone have a brand they really recommend for the hot weather in Florida in June?

Thanks again everyone and GO BRONCOS!

I train service dogs & I use one also.
I have a Australian labradoodle. Is my third dog and by far, he gets SO much attention.

The shoes I use on my dog(s) are "Ruff Wear". The military working dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan some wore them.
I recommend you get the socks to. So They don't fall off(or kick them off).

Mark

This is a video play date with Pluto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4NeqKynCs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUATkeggMvI6yhMcBd41A9ug

FYI, papers showing "certification" of a service dog are not actually required when flying within the US, although most airlines will ask for them. Verbal assurance from the service dog user does legally count as "proof" in the ACAA.

It's definitely worth familiarizing yourself with the ACAA (Air Carriers Access Act) before flying. Not only will it be useful when it comes to flying with a service dog, but also knowing your rights as a disabled person and who to ask for should you have problems with the front line staff.

FYI This is CA state law but it is consistent with other state and federal laws:
(6) Inquiries. A public accommodation shall not ask about the nature or extent of a person´s disability, but may make two inquiries to determine whether an animal qualifies as a service animal. A public accommodation may ask if the animal is required because of a disability and what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. A public accommodation shall not require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal. Generally, a public accommodation may not make these inquiries about a service animal when it is readily apparent that an animal is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability (e.g., the dog is observed guiding an individual who is blind or has low vision, pulling a person´s wheelchair, or providing assistance with stability or balance to an individual with an observable mobility disability).

just wanted to correct a few things posted on page three.

1) a service dog needs no harness or vest, ADA law does not require one.
2) a service dog does not need to be on leash IF a leash would impair the working them AND if the dog is in the handlers control at all times, example a friend of mine has a service dog who is never on leash, she has no arms, and the dog is under her verbal control at all time, a leash would impair the team work since she can not hold a leash and the dog is in her control so it is in compliance with ADA.
3) no documentation of a service dog is needed with traveling, ADA law. They can ask only two questions, is it a service dog and what service does it do for you. I have never been asked for documentation on my dog and I have flown at least 40 times with her over the years.

NEW QUESTIONS
Has anyone used the new kennels at the rides. Any experience good or bad. How is it working. Are they at all rides yet, or still just a few. Last time they had them at only two rides only one I went on and I choose not to be first since they went in that week. It has been almost a year and we are going next month, any updates on these kennels, any special DAC card needed.

Warning Disney, I am coming again and I will be asking for the plastic throw away ice bucket liners that you give me when I ask for a bucket for dog dishes and you give me these, with a mat and dog biscuits. There are people who do not think you throw them away or even wash them out after you know my dog used them for a week. So little faith in you, but they still keep coming back for vacations.:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I am assuming that most of you have big dogs for a service dog. Does anyone here have a small service dog and if so what, if anything do you do differently when in the parks and such. I am new to having a service dog, but mine is a small Miniature Poodle ( which is fine for my needs), and have yet taken her on big trips like Disney. I am just curious to what differences there are in handling at a place like Disney?

I am assuming that most of you have big dogs for a service dog. Does anyone here have a small service dog and if so what, if anything do you do differently when in the parks and such. I am new to having a service dog, but mine is a small Miniature Poodle (which is fine for my needs), and have yet taken her on big trips like Disney. I am just curious to what differences there are in handling at a place like Disney?

I only have Labs, but I can try to give some advice. I think it really depends on when you are planning to go to Disney. Is your trip in a busy time of year or a slow time of year at the parks? If it's at a slow time, then you should have little problem with a smaller dog. The crowds aren't huge and you won't have to worry about the pup "getting lost" under the sea of people. If it's a busy time of year, then I suggest you leave your pup at home. The crowds will make it hard on the pup to stay visible.

I have seen people at Disney with balloons and other things attached to their dogs, but that looked more like they wanted attention from people than to warn them that they are there. Plus, a Service Dog should be "invisible" and should not attract a lot of attention. If you want your dog to attract a huge amount of attention, then you got a Service Dog for the wrong reason.

Since your pup hasn't been on any big trips before, I would suggest getting him/her used to large crowds before leaving. This will help him/her prepare for the crowds, distractions, and noises of Disney. Believe me, it helps prevent a headache (or embarrassment) later on!

Hope this helps!

My Lucy is a small dog (10 lbs.) She has been trained to ride on the floor of my ECV. I need her to tell me about blood sugar drops or spikes, so this works well. If she needs my attention, she'll just jump up on my lap and give me her signal.

Most people don't even know she is there because she just stands or lays quietly. I do keep her vest on her (it is mesh, has her id on it, and is not heavy) and her leash is on and the end of it is in my basket. I could keep her unleashed as she is very well trained, but I always keep the leash on in public. This also prevents her feet from getting hot on the pavement. When it is time for her to relieve herself, we go to a designated area. I tell her "go potty" and she does. Her command for getting on the ECV is "come up." When I get off she will stay while I get my crutch and I tell her, "okay."

I cannot ride any roller coaster or jerky rides, so I don't have to worry about going on rides she cannot ride.

My Lucy is a small dog (10 lbs.) She has been trained to ride on the floor of my ECV. I need her to tell me about blood sugar drops or spikes, so this works well. If she needs my attention, she'll just jump up on my lap and give me her signal.

Most people don't even know she is there because she just stands or lays quietly. I do keep her vest on her (it is mesh, has her id on it, and is not heavy) and her leash is on and the end of it is in my basket. I could keep her unleashed as she is very well trained, but I always keep the leash on in public. This also prevents her feet from getting hot on the pavement. When it is time for her to relieve herself, we go to a designated area. I tell her "go potty" and she does. Her command for getting on the ECV is "come up." When I get off she will stay while I get my crutch and I tell her, "okay."

I cannot ride any roller coaster or jerky rides, so I don't have to worry about going on rides she cannot ride.

Congratulations on your new SD! She sounds like a great dog in addition to the help she provides you.

Thanks, but I've had her for 3 1/2 years now. She is great.

Sorry, I don't know where I got the idea that you had just gotten her? Anyway, new or not, she sounds wonderful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter