Service dog experiences

Can anyone share any experiences with your service dog, good or bad at WDW?

No personal experience, but just yesterday my wife and I agreed that we have never seen a service dog at Disney World during our 40 or so visits since 1972. Obviously it occurs, but not while we're around.

Good luck and I hope some experiences are posted.

Can anyone share any experiences with your service dog, good or bad at WDW?

When my family was at WDW over the holidays we encountered quite a few service dogs but never have any other time of the year! I have a feeling the weather and temperature during this time of year probably have something to do with that? We were surprised, but were glad to see so many people able to bring their service animals to the parks! While I have no personal experience with a service dog, I did make a couple of observations this last trip.

The first is that many people would approach the service animal, and most times would not ask permission before petting or attempting to feed the dog french fries or a treat. In most cases, this was children but there would be adults doing it as well. The handler would try to explain that the dog is a service animal and should not be pet or fed by strangers. Most people were respectful and apologized and moved on, but some people just wouldn't listen. :confused3

The second is that several of the dogs we saw were in training and actually ended up becoming spooked by the large crowds and some of the ride queues. One of the dogs in training got so spooked while waiting in a crowd for the holiday parade to start that it started barking and growling as more wheelchairs and families were moved into our viewing area and the family was asked to remove the animal from the premises for the safety of the other guests.

It seems like WDW is a place that could be very hard on a service animal, but also a very rewarding bonding experience for a handler and an animal that go through it together. :love:

I have had great experience at DL and WDW with my service animals over the years. Here are some things to know.

Seek out the rest areas in advance, they now say they are listed, but I always had trouble finding them or cm who knew where they were. But I am blind, I had trouble finding the area or the latches on fences to get into the areas, but if they have done what is stated, then they now list the areas on maps.

Carry a collapsable bowl and frequently fill it at fountains for the dog. Don't attach the bowl to the dog harness, we lost one this way and the had trouble finding something in the park to hold water.

Put booties or wax on the dogs paws, elps with the heat.

Make a rule of no petting, because if one in the crowd ask and you say yes, you will have crowds asking.

If you ask the maids to leave two ice buckets and a mat, you can use them for food and water and not have to pack them for plane trip, the always will do this for me. The maids also leave a dog treat on the sink each day, at least for five trips we have made in the last few years.

Now these are my suggestions and my reasons, but you need to decide for yourself and your dog.

First remember Disney does not allow pets in hotels, so don't leave the dog in hotel room for more than a few minutes, like to run down to coffe in lobby and back. IMHO this is because you and your dog are invited because they are a service animal, if you will be leaving the dog for hours than the dog is a pet and they have the right to ask you to board it. Others have stated they do it all the time and this is just my opinion but I don't leave my dog unattended in the room.

Second, I use the kennels at DL anyway, since they are convenient to get to. After several hours and days the dog gets tired and inattentive to my needs if not rested, so I pay to have a kennel each day, for a place they can go to if needed and it is always needed for a little while anyway. I do two or three hours and then let the dog go to the kennels for a few hours then do a few rides they can't go on and then get them and do a few more hours, and then let them back in the kennel.

At WDW on our last trip, my service dog was months away from retirement, just waiting for new dog to be trained. He did not do that great so he spent time in the kennels, which was not as convenient to get to, much harder, but he did like them. He could not be attentive after several hours in the park so I let him go rest. But as I say more to do with him getting old not because he could not do it. Also a guide dog working that many hours always on alert is difficult, it depends on your disability and what service your dog needs to do, which will depend on how much rest it will need. I like to think of myself, after several hours of walking I am tired, after the distractions, and the people pushing I am on edge, after hot sun I am sweaty and if I have not eaten in a while I am cranky, then it is time to let my dog rest and use a family member to lead me.

For my best expperience, I have been blind since age 4, I lived with my parents, then my husband, then my kids, never going more than a few hours without someone with me, never venturing out on a vacation without my family. A year after I got my first dog, I went to DL three days before my family, I got a bus, and plane and limo, Disneyland hotel and me and my dog went by ourself. It was so Greta, so liberating, so self building. I loved sitting in down town at 5 am, being the first In the park and just sitting and listening. Being able to slowly find the rides with my dog and go on them. It has been absolutely great to have my first dog and now my second. I love being with my family, but that experience opened up a door for me, my kids went off to college and I now live alone, and I love it, I never thought I could but hey if I can go to Disney and make it for three days with just my dog, I can do anything.

We have taken my daughter's service dog with us several times. It is nice on many benefits however it is extremely hot, and we noticed the dog's paws start to get very warm unless they from hotter climates. We are from Ohio so weather here is different.
Doggie Potty areas are not really marked well, but our experiences our dog is not going to potty on mulch and not very many potty areas for them are grass so be warned. We also use collapsed bowls for water, however once again Disney keep bowls sometimes and always willing to get water for your dog, cast members are wonderful!
The thing we have difficulties with is people stopping us to socialize or just walk up and pet him, even with the patches to not pet. We commonly get the response "we miss our dog back home, can we pet him".
We have seen several groups training service animals, and also others. Even the k-9 dogs want to track you through security. We have decided to leave our 4 legged companion home this upcoming trip due to the heat and added walking for him.

If you ask the maids to leave two ice buckets and a mat, you can use them for food and water and not have to pack them for plane trip, the always will do this for me. The maids also leave a dog treat on the sink each day, at least for five trips we have made in the last few years.

Please do NOT do this. That is disgusting for the people who will be using those buckets after you. Hotels don't disinfect them. For the same sanitary reasons dogs can't eat off plates/utensils in restaurants - except those are actually washed in hot, soapy water (but if your dog touched them, they'd have to throw them out) - do not use ice buckets and similar things for your dog. It is also entirely inappropriate from a service dog etiquette point of view.

The care of your dog is entirely up to you, so you are responsible to bring bowls for your dog. Travel bowls take up zero room - you can even fit them in your pocket - so there is no excuse for not bringing bowls with you. There are many types to choose from, like collapsible silicone bowls (just like the collapsible silicone measuring cups), plastic folding bowls (such as Outward Hound and Petco's bowls), fabric bowls, and my favorites for hotel/cruise rooms: http://www.petco.com/product/117360/Genmert-Portable-Pet-Bowls.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch (sturdy plastic oval-type-shaped bowls that fold flat but also have Ziploc-type closures so you can carry a meal with you, if needed - these wash out well).

For in the Disney parks (or other travel or work that has me out all day), I use a reusable metal water bottle for dogs - the top has a ball in it that they lick to get the water onto their tongues (just like those hamster/gerbil bottles) and there is a cap that keeps it sanitary. The whole top unscrews for easy filling (at Disney, I buy a bottled water from a vendor or machine and the dog bottle fits almost all of the water from the plastic bottle in it). I carry it in a bottle holder clipped onto the holder for my own bottled water. My service dog took to the ball top immediately. It allows you to water the dog without needing to pour out undrinken water from a travel bowl and to do it quicker and not have to sit down to do it (I always had to with the travel bowls).

My mobility dog has no problem going all day and night in the parks/resorts, but I do treat her with PowerBones (doggy energy treats from Zuke's - I get the peanut butter variety, but they also have meat varieties) throughout the day, when we're in an appropriate spot to do so (usually when I also offer water). I'm glad the kennel is useful for you, though. Do they give you any kind of discount since your dog is only there for a few hours?

I think it's awesome about how you can enjoy Disney with your dog. However, I was horrified at the ice bucket comment as well. I don't think they wash those at all, when the humans use them. I'm not sure when the maid comes after you've left she's going to know they were a "water bowl" and wash them at that time either. :eek:

Ice buckets are plastic and are disposed of after use, just like plastic cups and plasic spoons. It is up to each hotel and motel to make sure they are following rules of the industry, if the poster has any knowledge that Disney is not following protocol and throwing away the plastic disposible ice buckets she did not report it. Disney maids have always been willing to leave these disposable buckets for me and when I am done, I throw them into the waste basket, so unless Disney is pulling these out of trash buckets and reusing them against industry standards than these is nothing wrong with using them. Just like it is not appropriate for Disney to reuse pastiche forks once taken and not used but left on table, I would be not appropriate for them to take these ice buckets out of the trash and reuse them. They are plastic and Not reusable.

By all means if you wish to but food bowls into your suitcase than do so, but if not use the plastic ice bucket ones and throw them out, unless the poster can tell us beyond a shadow of doubt that disney is reusing them and then I will report Disney myself, because the standard is to never reuse plastic for anyone and that it is plastic to be thrown out so as not to be reused.

[/B]
Please do NOT do this. That is disgusting for the people who will be using those buckets after you. Hotels don't disinfect them. For the same sanitary reasons dogs can't eat off plates/utensils in restaurants - except those are actually washed in hot, soapy water (but if your dog touched them, they'd have to throw them out) - do not use ice buckets and similar things for your dog. It is also entirely inappropriate from a service dog etiquette point of view.

The care of your dog is entirely up to you, so you are responsible to bring bowls for your dog. Travel bowls take up zero room - you can even fit them in your pocket - so there is no excuse for not bringing bowls with you. There are many types to choose from, like collapsible silicone bowls (just like the collapsible silicone measuring cups), plastic folding bowls (such as Outward Hound and Petco's bowls), fabric bowls, and my favorites for hotel/cruise rooms: http://www.petco.com/product/117360/Genmert-Portable-Pet-Bowls.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch (sturdy plastic oval-type-shaped bowls that fold flat but also have Ziploc-type closures so you can carry a meal with you, if needed - these wash out well).

For in the Disney parks (or other travel or work that has me out all day), I use a reusable metal water bottle for dogs - the top has a ball in it that they lick to get the water onto their tongues (just like those hamster/gerbil bottles) and there is a cap that keeps it sanitary. The whole top unscrews for easy filling (at Disney, I buy a bottled water from a vendor or machine and the dog bottle fits almost all of the water from the plastic bottle in it). I carry it in a bottle holder clipped onto the holder for my own bottled water. My service dog took to the ball top immediately. It allows you to water the dog without needing to pour out undrinken water from a travel bowl and to do it quicker and not have to sit down to do it (I always had to with the travel bowls).

My mobility dog has no problem going all day and night in the parks/resorts, but I do treat her with PowerBones (doggy energy treats from Zuke's - I get the peanut butter variety, but they also have meat varieties) throughout the day, when we're in an appropriate spot to do so (usually when I also offer water). I'm glad the kennel is useful for you, though. Do they give you any kind of discount since your dog is only there for a few hours?

Ice buckets are plastic and are disposed of after use, just like plastic cups and plasic spoons. It is up to each hotel and motel to make sure they are following rules of the industry, if the poster has any knowledge that Disney is not following protocol and throwing away the plastic disposible ice buckets she did not report it. Disney maids have always been willing to leave these disposable buckets for me and when I am done, I throw them into the waste basket, so unless Disney is pulling these out of trash buckets and reusing them against industry standards than these is nothing wrong with using them. Just like it is not appropriate for Disney to reuse pastiche forks once taken and not used but left on table, I would be not appropriate for them to take these ice buckets out of the trash and reuse them. They are plastic and Not reusable.

By all means if you wish to but food bowls into your suitcase than do so, but if not use the plastic ice bucket ones and throw them out, unless the poster can tell us beyond a shadow of doubt that disney is reusing them and then I will report Disney myself, because the standard is to never reuse plastic for anyone and that it is plastic to be thrown out so as not to be reused.

[/B]

The ice buckets at WDW are not plastic cup disposable. They are not always changed between guests. WDW provides plastic liners that are intended to be used for ice. It is not WDW intent (nor are they obligated to provide) that the ice buckets be used for feeding/watering of animals.

Maybe it is the liners they are giving me. They may not be obligated but at DL they have always allowed me to use them, actually bringing them to me, several times without even asking. When I went to WDW they brought them to me also, I did have to ask. They brought them so I never thought much about it. At DL, they bring me a mat and these water bowls everyday, and leave treats. In the kennel at DL they have the same feel and size bowl (ice bucket) when you ask for one when you are just potty ing your dog and not using the kennel, being blind I could be mistaking but they feel and seem to be the exact same as the ice buckets they bring in the hotel and that is what they call them.

Disney is not obligated to give you a great vacation but they have always gone out of there way to do so for me and my dog.

Maybe it is the liners they are giving me. They may not be obligated but at DL they have always allowed me to use them, actually bringing them to me, several times without even asking. When I went to WDW they brought them to me also, I did have to ask. They brought them so I never thought much about it. At DL, they bring me a mat and these water bowls everyday, and leave treats. In the kennel at DL they have the same feel and size bowl (ice bucket) when you ask for one when you are just potty ing your dog and not using the kennel, being blind I could be mistaking but they feel and seem to be the exact same as the ice buckets they bring in the hotel and that is what they call them.

Disney is not obligated to give you a great vacation but they have always gone out of there way to do so for me and my dog.

The liners are a plastic bag so I know that is not what you are using to feed your dog.

Disney doesn't give great vacations. Guests pay for their vacations so I really don't understand your last comment.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding-but now that it has been explained- I do hope no one continues to misuse the ice buckets to feed animals.

This thread seems to have gotten off topic!
We are headed to WDW in August for our third trip with my son's service dog, Manny. We have no problems doing long hours at the park (Manny will be 5 this year), but do take advantage of the air conditioning in the buildings frequently. Manny wears "shoes" during the heat of the day. It will depend on how used to the heat your dog is...and how in shape they are. Manny is in excellent shape. We give high protein treats for energy...and lots of water stops. CM's will almost always give you a cup of ice for your dog to lick, or for you to add to their bowl to cool them off.
Be familiar with the potty break spots when you head to the park. And remember that some are good, and some not so good. There is one in HS that is stones...and many are mulch. Our faves are the one behind Pirates of the Caribbean and the one behind the Imagination building at Epcot.
The crowds can be a lot for a dog. Manny is practically "bomb proof" but I know other dogs have trouble with the crowds and fireworks.
We get a GAC so that we can wait in shaded/less crowded areas. Sometimes they will put us in the fastpass lane, which is really nice...that way we can do the ride and then take an air conditioned break to cool the dog off.
We also take full advantage of evening hours. It is less crowded and the pavement isn't hot.
People will want to pet your dog. We use the line "sorry, he's working" and move along. We could get stuck for hours if we engaged in petting sessions.
Manny goes on all the rides he is allowed to ride. He loves them. Especially Pirates and Living with the Land. He is very comfortable with this, but not all dogs are. I suggest starting with Small World and seeing how it goes from there...
Please ask any specific questions...I'd love to help!

Our last dog loved Living with the Land too!! He'd sit all proud in the front of the boat and as soon as we'd get into the green houses that nose would be going a mile a minute!

this will be our dd2's sd third trip to Disney. He will be 4 this year and does really well.

he went on rides for the first time last year and didn't do so well. He messed on Toy Story Mania and Finding Nemo. The CM were awesome even when I was fully prepared to clean it up they said they would take care of it. They say things likes this happen often. It was nice of them to clean it but like I said I was more then willing to.

I would say a few things to bring with you are a collapsible bowl or what we brought to the parks was a bottle bowl in one. This way we could fill it from CM or from tap or fountain. The CM are great they gave us bottles of water when all we wanted was tap.

Coming from Canada we bought our food in the states it was easier and less to pack for the trip as we drive.

Crosby didnt' like the booties so we took some breaks in ac areas.

This year though we bought him a cooling coat so it may help him. We often also packed his pockets in his jacket with ziplock bags with ice to help keep him cool.

We will be putting him in the kennel for one night while we are at the Not So Scary Halloween party.

Pack bags and hand sanitizer for when you have to clean up after your sd. Always ask CM's where the nearest rest area is for your sd. We always asked so not to get in trouble for going some where, where we weren't supposed to be.

Make a rule for no petting. We did however let the characters interact with him but no one else.

we never leave Crosby by himself in the room. My dh and I take turns taking the kids to the pool I take two and then he will take two.

How absurd, I would probably rather eat after the dog than you. What pet owners don't share food with their animals. really get a life.

Is there some context in which this comment is appropriate thing to say to anybody, ever?

If you another reason, picture the next person who gets that bucket has an allergy to dog saliva. It could turn out like feeding an allergic kid peanuts. When I check into a hotel it is completely unreasonable to expect dog saliva in my ice bucket.

I have had great experience at DL and WDW with my service animals over the years. Here are some things to know.

Seek out the rest areas in advance, they now say they are listed, but I always had trouble finding them or cm who knew where they were. But I am blind, I had trouble finding the area or the latches on fences to get into the areas, but if they have done what is stated, then they now list the areas on maps.

Carry a collapsable bowl and frequently fill it at fountains for the dog. Don't attach the bowl to the dog harness, we lost one this way and the had trouble finding something in the park to hold water.

Put booties or wax on the dogs paws, elps with the heat.

Make a rule of no petting, because if one in the crowd ask and you say yes, you will have crowds asking.

Now these are my suggestions and my reasons, but you need to decide for yourself and your dog.

First remember Disney does not allow pets in hotels, so don't leave the dog in hotel room for more than a few minutes, like to run down to coffe in lobby and back. IMHO this is because you and your dog are invited because they are a service animal, if you will be leaving the dog for hours than the dog is a pet and they have the right to ask you to board it. Others have stated they do it all the time and this is just my opinion but I don't leave my dog unattended in the room.

Second, I use the kennels at DL anyway, since they are convenient to get to. After several hours and days the dog gets tired and inattentive to my needs if not rested, so I pay to have a kennel each day, for a place they can go to if needed and it is always needed for a little while anyway. I do two or three hours and then let the dog go to the kennels for a few hours then do a few rides they can't go on and then get them and do a few more hours, and then let them back in the kennel.

At WDW on our last trip, my service dog was months away from retirement, just waiting for new dog to be trained. He did not do that great so he spent time in the kennels, which was not as convenient to get to, much harder, but he did like them. He could not be attentive after several hours in the park so I let him go rest. But as I say more to do with him getting old not because he could not do it. Also a guide dog working that many hours always on alert is difficult, it depends on your disability and what service your dog needs to do, which will depend on how much rest it will need. I like to think of myself, after several hours of walking I am tired, after the distractions, and the people pushing I am on edge, after hot sun I am sweaty and if I have not eaten in a while I am cranky, then it is time to let my dog rest and use a family member to lead me.

For my best expperience, I have been blind since age 4, I lived with my parents, then my husband, then my kids, never going more than a few hours without someone with me, never venturing out on a vacation without my family. A year after I got my first dog, I went to DL three days before my family, I got a bus, and plane and limo, Disneyland hotel and me and my dog went by ourself. It was so Greta, so liberating, so self building. I loved sitting in down town at 5 am, being the first In the park and just sitting and listening. Being able to slowly find the rides with my dog and go on them. It has been absolutely great to have my first dog and now my second. I love being with my family, but that experience opened up a door for me, my kids went off to college and I now live alone, and I love it, I never thought I could but hey if I can go to Disney and make it for three days with just my dog, I can do anything.

bolding is mine...
YUCK!! please do NOT do this! that is just GROSS! :scared1:
Those buckets are reused and are not sanitized between guests...
They aren't dog bowls and aren't intended to be used that way. It really isn't fair of you to use them like that.... :headache:

:thumbsup2

The ice buckets at WDW are not plastic cup disposable. They are not always changed between guests. WDW provides plastic liners that are intended to be used for ice. It is not WDW intent (nor are they obligated to provide) that the ice buckets be used for feeding/watering of animals.
:thumbsup2

How absurd, I would probably rather eat after the dog than you. What pet owners don't share food with their animals. really get a life.

Me, we don't share plates with our dog. She actually gets very little human food just an occasional piece of left over meat, but it always goes in her bowl. Never on a plate and never from the table. She also eats last.

Our dogs never tolerated stuff on their feet so we never tried the boots. I think more dogs are trained with them now or at least more owners/trainers try them nowadays. Also never used paw wax and honestly never had issues, but probably would have tried that if I knew it was available back then. I'd just pour some cold water on the dogs paws or if there was a puddle from the rain have the dog walk through it and they always seemed to appreciate that. I'd also check their paws at night after walking around the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter