Serious Discussion Regarding Trade Honor

i have been on the other end of the trading fall throughs because i have backed out some times. I want to know, what's the big deal if i fall out because i dont want the items anymore? Its just an online game and you shouldnt hold it against me just because i wouldnt trade my stuff.

your a kid ;) Many of us wouldnt hold that against you to much (some will tho and you really can't blame them). The deal is you are holding up my items by not following thru. Once you say deal, many of us will expect a follow thru. If you don't, don't be shocked if your offer seems ignored next time in that persons trade thread.

And dont forget about someone accepting your offer of a shopping spree, they send you the shopping list, you spend your own credits your own time earning those credits, not their credits-time to fill the list, and then it's:
"oh gee im sorry i accepted some one elses offer after i had allready agreed to trade with you"

And now your stuck with some things that cost several thousand credits, dont you think if I had wanted them I would have bought them for myself?

I'd also like to mention, sharp traders do their homework,
they also give out advice to thier freinds. So when they notice what you are doing, word does get around whether you hear about it, or want it to.

If a big trade (over 15 items) or a room code comes along and no one trusts you? Scratches head ...:rolleyes1

i might be ignored a little bit, but not to the point where they say "I am ignoring your offer because you pulled out of one of my trade once a long time ago." Doesnt that sound rude and blunt?

that probably would not happen llama, more than likely, you would just be completely ignored in the trade thread, or that person will completely ignore your trade threads. I, myself, have a not-so-short list of people whose trade threads I will not even open. Even if it is something I need.

that probably would not happen llama, more than likely, you would just be completely ignored in the trade thread, or that person will completely ignore your trade threads. I, myself, have a not-so-short list of people whose trade threads I will not even open. Even if it is something I need.

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

i have been on the other end of the trading fall throughs because i have backed out some times. I want to know, what's the big deal if i fall out because i dont want the items anymore? Its just an online game and you shouldnt hold it against me just because i wouldnt trade my stuff.

I think maybe it is because you have done it more than once to the same person and that person could become suspicious. I have fallen through a trade once because I came 2nd place and 1st place didn't want it so by the time the trader came to me my item was gone already, I couldn't help that. Although I got PM's from that person which hurt.
~Spongeblair.

It can be frustrating and most of my own trade threads are usually few and far between- because I have to get over the hassle- I tend to put too much to offer in one thread- lol- and then I'm going back and forth on tons of different items-

My last trade thread I know there were a few trades I fell out of- some were after others pm'd to try to meet with me and I was unavailable when they were- others were my life got into the way and I didn't even get on the game for a bit or check DIS...

Stuff does happen- I understand that- I also understand kids sometimes getting an offer and getting another- and wanting to back down- it happens...

I tend to take way less for somethings that people are trading tons for- usually because- I just want to get rid of it. Sometimes I looking for something speficic and want a little more for my items. But in every trade thread I've made I've always put a list of things I want and things I definitely don't want.

One thing I always do is put NO PMs in my trade thread. I want everyone to know every offer out there. All trades should be above board and open for all to see. If you don't want to reveal what you offered- don't offer in my thread. But each time I get lots of pm's with offers. I usually reply back to place the offer in the thread and I would more than likely accept- but they don't so those trades never go through but the pm's keep coming.

The other thing is- sometimes I've turned down an offer and get the same one several times- and the people get upset when the item gets turned down. It is my perrogative btw to turn down anyone's offer- even if you feel your's is better than the one I accepted. As long as I don't accept yours then tell you no- it is open for someone else to get. And a friend wanting something for a lot less happens. My friends have given things and granted me or my kids unfair trades- I will do the same in reverse for them and their kids. But if you pm to complain- all that gets you is ignored...

I also try to update my thread with any pending trades - it helps me to keep track and gives me a record (in one post) of what I've accepted and turned down. If you are in my trade thread and I accepted someone's offer I will honor it- so don't bother with the pm's stating you have a better offer- the item is considered "gone" unless for some reason the trade falls through- in which case the original post will reflect where the offer stand. See I also mark my items for trade as available (usually have quantity in white out) and pending. When traded the items are removed from the original post so there is no confusion later. (my suggestion- offer very little for trade in the original post- otherwise it is too difficult to keep up with- and just have more than one trade thread.)

With me being a relatively easy trader (I don't ask for a lot- if I get what I want or what I think is good I'm happy even if others or getting a lot more)- I do get people who try to take advantage of me. You know you make one trade and they see your storeroom and suddenly want everything in it for gray crates or something. I have gotten pestered on vmk and here some- usually it is kids- I just delete from my friends list and ignore- after being kind.

The only bad deal I had here was long ago when I sent pdf's for jungle cruise tents to someone who was going to redeem most for herself but I asked for a few in return. She would NEVER respond back to pm's or emails and even traded off the rooms later here on the DIS... and got quite a lot for them... One was traded to a DisKid for some much loved items- that I ended up gifting to the kid when I heard what all he was taken for at the time-
So I just put her (an adult btw) in my "do not trust" list- and let my friends know about it so they wouldn't be fooled either. I considered it a lesson learned. That for every 20 or so wonderful honest people out there- I did occasionally come accross one or two who weren't so honest and fair. Who only saw what was in it for them.

Honor should be expected, in offering, accepting and completing trades. If you do decide to go back on a deal (even if it is because mom said so) then be open about it- I think most people are saying, "just don't leave anyone hanging." "Don't badger or pester people" "Communicate" "Be honest in your offers"

I do apologize for anyone I left hanging- I still have pms for a few in my inbox lol from my last trade (several months ago) - some I was still waiting on final offers- some just because me and the other trader couldn't meet up- and life got in the way- others were just unanswered pms where the person seemed to fall off the planet.-- if anyone out there still has a pending trade with me- just let me know- I more than likely still have the items lol- poor virtuallynotme holds all my extra clothes and pins- and she gets so tired of lugging all that stuff around.

i'm really glad that i dont get harassing PM's from people as you guys have said have happened.

I'm with Dreams and Aengus on this one. I've slowed down my trading both on Dis and in game quite a bit as of late.

My biggest issues -
1) People backing out of trades without letting the other person know it.
2) People promising items they've already offered someone else. aka "if this one falls through"
3) People not responding to pms.

1) How hard is it to make a quick post or send a quick pm saying your not interested? Don't leave people hanging. Thats just wrong!

2) I wont even bother looking at an "if this falls through offer". Thats just rude to the person you first offered to and the person your offering to now.

3) I can understand not wanting pms. If you don't, how about posting it in your thread like VirtuallyMe? If you happen to get a pm and would rather have it posted how about sending them a pm back nicely saying so? I can't tell you how many times I've been left hanging. Personally I'd rather trade via pm because if I post a really horrible offer I don't want to be made fun of [as corny as that sounds :rolleyes:] or accused of trying to scam. I also don't see why if someone sends you a pm where you don't like the offer or have already traded the item [if the thread says no pms] why it's so hard to send a pm back saying so. :confused3

I think another big issue is the time difference from east to west coast and overseas. I am still sitting with 30,000 of buyables for a trade yet to happen one month later. Big issue is computer issues on both sides, different times on VMK.

So I would suggest also when you are normally on VMK to be in the trade annoucement. This would help to either arranged a player to trade on your behalf or not bid on the item since the odds are you will have a difficult time connecting.

There is no dishonor in withdrawing an offer that has not yet been accepted. If you are "in the lead" and you withdraw, that's just the way it is. Being "in the lead" is not a deal. Once the person says "I accept your offer" you have a deal, and it's too late to revoke your offer. Before they do that, you have the right to revoke. It's like that in business. It's like that in the law. It should be like that here.

I have had two people back out on me with offers, One we set the place to meet, had BOTH agreed to the offer, then when I get to this persons room, they claimed they couldnt find there item, then started offering me items of less value, I said no thanks, took pcitures of the whole mess, and left, I remember who the person was, and just will never look at one of there threads. Alot of greed.i people out there. Where there word means nothing, thats sad, but on a lighter note, I have traded with some very nice people, and they make up for the one or two who are not.
Sadly these trading issues are not just happening here, I had it happen in the last year with people who were supposedly friends,on vmk, but apparently were not. Greed is not a pretty thing.

Whoah, great thread!!!

First, I must agree, that it is very bothersome to have someone agree to a trade and then back out of it. Like mentioned, some trades are time sensitive (items removed from a shop), so expecting they are to be honored is proper. I'm sorry that this happened to you.

As far as what PD stated, all I can say is that I'm in awe that someone feels the need to be so immature and write those PMs. These are VIRTUAL items for gad's sake. Do people actually feel THAT threatened to send a PM to try to scare you off? Like she stated, it's the kids that I would be most concerned about.

Two things that irk me about trading:
1) Agreeing to trade, receiving a different offer, then backing out.
2) Trying to downplay someone's items

Again, great thread, I hope that it helps people see that they should honor their commitments, and hopefully those who are sending the PMs will recognize themselves and stop.

I don't like to exchange credits, because 1) I don't have very many :rolleyes1 and 2) It's a huge risk if you give the person the credits first and they don't give you the items etc. and if the person waits too long and the items disappear from the shelves.

I would like to see a vmk trade reputation thing here on vmk. Most of us here are reliable and would not sabatoge anyone else's reputation. There could also be a confirmation thing like "Have you traded with Player X?" and if you confirm, the person could write their trade anaylsis.

Lastly, on another board I frequent, minors under 18 don't receive the right to P.M others. Yes, this makes a problem for people who want to Pm a time and place or a code, but it also protects them from harrasers.

-Padre

I would like to see a vmk trade reputation thing here on vmk. Most of us here are reliable and would not sabatoge anyone else's reputation. There could also be a confirmation thing like "Have you traded with Player X?" and if you confirm, the person could write their trade anaylsis.

-Padre

check out the "rate my ___" threads in the creative section. You'll see it just doesnt work.

I like some of the ideas people have put forward but again I have to remind you, this is not a VMK site, its a disney/park site. The boards structure and rules flow from it's main purpose, not the other way around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter