September W.I.S.H. - Back to Basics

View attachment 602819
It’s Topic Tuesday!
Today’s topic: SNACKS

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/snacking-good-or-bad#healthy-snacks
This topic came to mind when my husband made the comment “there are no healthy snacks.” Some people try to avoid snacking. Others think it helps speed up your metabolism. How do you feel about snacking? And what are some of your “go to” snacks?
On school days, I have a good breakfast of eggs, toast, & coffee at 6:00 AM, which usually gets me to 11:00 AM, lunchtime. (Sometimes around 10:00 AM, I feel hungry, but my energy hasn't waned by then). At school, I live on snacks, because I don't have time for a meal. I get 30 minutes to walk the class to the cafeteria line; use the toilet; walk to my car; eat; walk back into school; use the toilet again; and pick up my class. I end up with 10-15 minutes for lunch. So, I drink a protein shake and have a piece of fruit. I keep a protein bar and a high fiber bar along with my water at my desk. Those get picked at throughout the day when I feel like my blood sugar is dropping. I get another break when the kids have their special, but once again, between transporting them and taking bathroom breaks, I end up with 10-15 minutes to myself. Much of the time, I am rushing to get something done since I have no paraprofessional to pick up the slack. When I get home from school, depending on the hour, I may have some Wasa crackers or a veggie/fruit smoothie...but lately, it is dinnertime, so no snack. I usually allow myself something sweet after dinner.

When I am home and have actual time to sit down and have a normal lunch, I usually have a snack around 3:00-4:00 PM because I start to feel hungry and can't comfortably wait for dinner at 6:00 PM.

My Grandmother was diabetic, and my Mother was hypoglycemic, and watching them, I learned that it is important to keep your blood sugar steady. It is better to have multiple small meals than three large meals. That is what works for me, but everyone's body is different, so I think it is best to do what works for you.

How do you feel about snacking? And what are some of your “go to” snacks?

I'm definitely a snacker! For me, I do think several small meals keeps my energy levels in a better place than fewer large ones.

If I eat breakfast early, I tend to grab a morning snack, or if I eat breakfast late, just have lunch early. But we always have "threesies" in the afternoon. - Without a snack then, DH is too hungry by dinner and overeats late in the day, which I think is worse than earlier.

The key to a proper snack for me is protein. It must include nuts, cheese, something like that. Some of our "go to" snacks are:

cheese and crackers
celery with peanut butter
fruit and nuts

I also like Luna bars or trail mix.

3:00-4:00 is snack time for us because I try to put dinner off until 6.
We have been eating watermelon, but PollyannaMom is right, it’s more satisfying with some protein. I’m getting apples today to eat with a tablespoon of peanut butter or some string cheese. And I have been drinking seltzer with a slice of fruit in the afternoon. I like a small piece of dark chocolate after dinner. That’s sort of my signal that I’m done eating for the day.

Just catching up from not being on the computer for the past several days.

What is you favorite ride at WDW or DL?
I am going to have to say It's a Small World. I loved it when I was young and it is one I have to do every trip
What is you favorite show or event?
MK fireworks or Fantasmic! (might have spelled that wrong)
What is you favorite restaurant?

Teppen Edo or Trattoria al Forno
What is you favorite thing to eat at the parks? (Snack or meal)

Mickey Waffles (I really miss these)
What do you miss the most when you are back home from your trip?

Just the magic and being away from all the stress at home.

Snacks -- I am not a big snacker unless I am bored and trying to stay awake. I pretty much each a pack of hohos for a snack in the afternoon after dinner. I don't eat breakfast most days and the days I don't I will eat toast or a snack (something quick like a snack bag of chips). I then eat lunch at about 12-1 and dinner used to be at about 5 but the kids schedule has pushed that back some.

I have been off of work since Wednesday. It has been so nice. Wednesday and Thursday were me days and kids were in school and DH was working. I think I watched about a month worth of General Hospital those 2 days. I really needed those 2 days. The weekend was low key as well. I did get a massage on Saturday. It wasn't the best. It hurt a lot but all the tensions spots are gone. But I won't go back unless I have issues. This was not a relaxation massage.

Sunday was good until the night. We had a party with DH's family. It was really nice as everyone got along. There seems to always be someone fighting in his family. We stay out of it but know what is going on. We drove DH's grandmother since it was about an hour away. After we dropped her off at home she got a nose bleed. This was a massive gushing nose bleed. She said she has never had one like this before. It took us forever to get her to listen to us on what to do to help stop it. It took over an hour to get it to slow down and even longer to get it to pretty much stop. She has high blood pressure to start with and this made it even worse. We had her take her blood pressure once we got the nose bleed under control and her BP was 221/88. We made her sit and breath and at that time kids started to ask for food. This distracted her a lot and really helped. We had her take her BP 2 more times before we left. The last one was 165/81. So much better. It was a bit scary for awhile because I have never seen a nose bleed like this before but I knew that it can happen. The BP is what got me. DH said I was calm until then and at that time I was not outwardly panicked. He just knows me well enough to know I was really worried. We didn't bother her yesterday since DH's mom was staying in contact with her. We knew she didn't get much sleep that night and wanted to let her get as much rest as she needed. DH's mom talked to her in the morning and again in the afternoon and kept us posted. DH will talk with her today.

Thankfully Monday was a bit of a quiet day. We just went grocery shopping and DS had soccer practice. DH, DD and I finished watching Outer Banks. It is a really good show on Netflix that DD was watching. DH decided to see what it was about and I decided to watch too. DD watched with us even though she had already watched it. We watched the 2 sessions in about a week to a week and a half. Each episode ended on a cliff hanger. If you are looking for a show to watch this is a good one and one that teenagers can watch. There is some implied sex scenes, lots of drinking and drug use and murder but not gruesome.

I am a snacked, I think it’s the self regulation chewing thing. Unfortunately for most of my life I’ve reached for sugar. Lately snacking has been a challenge, since I can’t have nuts. An apple or celery with peanut butter would be ideal, but since peanut butter is a problem sometimes I do some cheese. I do love those spicy citrusy olives to snack on tho.
Yesterday was perfection. I did a couple things I haven’t done before, walking the path along Willapa Bay and going into the church at Oysterville, which is a little enclave of Victorian homes. Today it is beach walking, the Indian Village Interprative walk, the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, Beards Hallow walk, North Lighthead walk and hitting another antique store. Yah for vacations.

I am a snacked, I think it’s the self regulation chewing thing. Unfortunately for most of my life I’ve reached for sugar. Lately snacking has been a challenge, since I can’t have nuts. An apple or celery with peanut butter would be ideal, but since peanut butter is a problem sometimes I do some cheese. I do love those spicy citrusy olives to snack on tho.
Yesterday was perfection. I did a couple things I haven’t done before, walking the path along Willapa Bay and going into the church at Oysterville, which is a little enclave of Victorian homes. Today it is beach walking, the Indian Village Interprative walk, the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, Beards Hallow walk, North Lighthead walk and hitting another antique store. Yah for vacations.
This sounds like a perfect day!

Hi my name is Shannon and I am a snacker. Whether its stress, boredom or legit hunger I adore a good snack. I had gestational diabetes with DS9 and was informed at the time unless sleeping one should be ingesting calories in a protein/carb combo every 4 hours. I have not stuck to this for the past 9 and a half years straight but did do it was my two subsequent pregnancies and I was able to maintain very healthy weights with all of them. When I feel myself getting a bit jiggly I go back to this eating plan (small meals and frequent, well thought out snacks) and it has served me well.
Been on a yogurt covered almond kick during the day and a mini dove bar with a glass of milk before bed at night. I will also spread a bag of Stacy's cinnamon sugar pita chips across two snack times. Popcorn is also a good one. Skinny Buckeyes (which I need to make again) and apple nachos are super yummy when I have time for them.
We went to the zoo yesterday which was a nice end of summer treat as well as a great walk and a co-worker and I walked 1.3 miles on our lunch break today which was nice.

I am another who snacks throughout the day to feel full between meals. During school days, I am usually better because I snack on what I’ve packed…almonds, apple slices, carrots/cucumbers, Beachbar. At home I tend to go more carbs…so I try to have skinny pop popcorn readily available. Otherwise I reach for the kids snacks.

I never snacked between meals until I married DH! When we had the twins they had their three meals and snack at 10:00 and 3:00 and boy did they watch the clock! They were crushed that a snack was not a full blown meal but merely a little nibble (fruit and a protein) to keep them from starving until mealtime. I don't usually snack when home. At work I get hungry mid morning so eat cucumber slices if I brought them and some string cheese. If I didn't bring anything I always have nature valley peanut granola bars tucked away. I try to be super mindful whether I'm really hungry or just bored or stressed.

Woohoo for vacations. Another beautiful day doing tons of stuff. The highlight was while I was the North Head Light House the Coast Guard were practicing helicopter rescues and it was awesome. I also got 17,000 steps in today. Tomorrow is travel day, it is a four hour drive up to Port Townsend. I haven’t done this drive before but quite a bit of it is along Hood Canal so should be lovely.

Woohoo for vacations. Another beautiful day doing tons of stuff. The highlight was while I was the North Head Light House the Coast Guard were practicing helicopter rescues and it was awesome. I also got 17,000 steps in today. Tomorrow is travel day, it is a four hour drive up to Port Townsend. I haven’t done this drive before but quite a bit of it is along Hood Canal so should be lovely.
Sounds lovely! Enjoy each moment of your vacation. 😊

I m woohooing that DD no longer needs to do the vestibular therapy. Yay!!! for getting better and now 2 less appointments a week. We go back to the doctor at the end of next week to hopefully be cleared. She still has some stuff to get through before the athletic trainer clears her but maybe the of the 20th she may be able to play in a game again.

Woohoo that DD did band practice last night. She has a girl helping to teacher her the dances and where to go. And the best part DH and I had time to do what we wanted without the kids for 2.5 hours last night. It was lovely.

WOO HOO! Even though my wheelchair-bound student will not be getting a one-on-one para, my old preK para will help me transport him throughout the day, so there will be times that I have support from someone who knows me well. Last night, I was up from 2:00-3:00 AM worrying about this, so I feel better about things now.

WOO HOO! After a long day with a meeting until 5:30 PM, I am finally home.

Woohoo - my class was all in attendance today. First time other than the first day of school.
Woohoo - starting today everyone had to wear a mask at school and on the buses.
Woohoo - everyone who chose to protest the mask order did so peacefully.
Woohoo - I slept well last night. Hoping for the same

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter