• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

September 29,2013 - DVC Member Cruise

:cool1::yay:I am so excited for you both!! Good things happen for a reason. You were just celebrating other peoples adventures and TaDa...your own little Mother's Day/Father's Day (since it is in June) adventure!

I can not wait to see pictures. Enjoy every magical moment!!

Happy Mother's Day to all. :love:Hope you all have a wonderful day.

We will be headed up to Hershey Park after the Mother's Day service. :banana:They videoed the children saying why they love their mothers and my son really wants me to see that. So we will head up as soon as service is over. We have found that Sundays in May there are no lines so we should be able to do everything we want multiple times and still get home at a decent time. (DH has to get up at 4am)

Kris,

I can't begin to adequately describe it. We've been on one path for months, which I had resigned myself to. No big travel plans til 2013 on the Dream, booked well in advance.
We even passed on the Med 2013 cruise which incl. Croatia (a JQ bucket list item!) and kept on course.
I still don't have a clear perspective on what happened. Here's my theory - first the email arrived and I didn't delete it which meant JQ was bound to read it. Once he did, the wheels were spinning. That's nothing new and we usually drop it and move on. This time was different.
I think deep down we both really wanted to go but at the same time I really wanted to stick to the game plan - which prompted my post yesterday.
I guess my DH decided the heck with it!!!

PI:
You know, so many times unexpected things happen or crop up that are not welcome, it is a pleasure to hear of something unexpected come up that is truly GOOD. I'm sure you and JQ will enjoy the time together away from the every day hassles, and have a chance to truly relax. Everything happens for a reason.

And besides, you may have a chance to "reshop" your Sept '13 cruise and rebook it with a 10% discount and get a stateroom credit to boot!! See, there is a reason for this trip!!

PI:
You know, so many times unexpected things happen or crop up that are not welcome, it is a pleasure to hear of something unexpected come up that is truly GOOD. I'm sure you and JQ will enjoy the time together away from the every day hassles, and have a chance to truly relax. Everything happens for a reason.

And besides, you may have a chance to "reshop" your Sept '13 cruise and rebook it with a 10% discount and get a stateroom credit to boot!! See, there is a reason for this trip!!

Kris,
You make a good point. I always tell people that "life is too short" whenever they are pondering decisions and ask my opinion. I guess this is proof that I really do feel that way. All I know is that working today was a breeze because every few seconds I thought about the Fantasy!

You'll have to explain how to "reshop" the Sept '13 cruise. I was wondering if they would actually let us rebook it with onboard discounts. That would be sweet!

Regina, Thanks. We have been to parks including Hershey on quite a few Mothers Days. Your right, there are no lines and you can ride all day while everyone else is at "brunch". In fact we were planning Hershey on Sunday until we booked the DVC discount cruise, what a coincidence.

FYI - Giant supermarkets are offering discount tickets for Hershey Park. If there are no locations near you, they have stores in the Hershey area. Check online for the offer and locations.

Happy Mothers Day to all,

Jim

Thanks Jim for the info on Giant. We were actually able to get tickets through a group purchase for $29.50. Hershey sells tickets to groups but everyone can go at different times.

Too bad you won't be there Sunday. As much as we enjoy Hershey, we would choose a cruise over Hershey too.

Weather looks beautiful for Sunday in area so if you are nearby- enjoy!

Happy Mother's day everyone:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:.

Regina - great plans for tomorrow. Yes, we were originally headed there ourselves. Mothers Day is my best kept theme park secret. Nobody goes!!!Glad to know great minds think alike. There's a great looking coaster opening this year Skyrush. Let us know how it is.

Thanks everyone for all the best wishes. Been busy trying to manage to get there and back. Booking late has it's advantages and disadvantages, which means we'll be doing things very different compared to last year's cruise.

I decided to cash in all the Amex reward pts to get $50.00 off Avis one-way rental from the port (balance due $29.91); $100.00 off Hyatt MCO (balance due $43.10); and $50.00 "open table" gift card good on property at Raglan Road. Also got lucky with two nights at AKV studio on pts right after the cruise.

I'll be curious to see how the Hyatt works out and what we're in for renting a car at the port. We plan to stay at the airport using one-way DCL transfers since low boarding times were non-existent online. Hopefully we'll bypass the system and get onboard early enough to book Palo Brunch.

Kris - really could use your help on this "reshop" issue. Last year we were such novices, we never booked a dummy cruise while onboard. Right now, we have no discounts being applied to the 2013 sail. I'll have to research this but my main question is do they cancel us outright and rebook or just rework the existing rsvp?

Happy Mothers day to all Moms:grouphug:

PI: I have never actually reshopped a cruise, but I have read many posts on doing it because I was considering it last May for our November cruise. It seems that depending on the person onboard doing the cruise booking, it could go either way, but both depends on the difference in your booking price and the "current price.
1. Just "re-doing" the booking and giving you the 10% discount and onboard credit. You get the 10% off of the current cost of the stateroom. I guess this method depends on the booking CM.
or
2. They have to actually cancell your booking and redo it, giving you the current rate then a 10% discount and the OBC.
You will need to talk to the onboard booking CM to make sure you don't loose your current stateroom. If the other royal suite is still open, I don't think that would happen. The worst would be you'd get moved to the other Royal suite. And this would depend on if someone online was trying to book a Royal suite at the exact moment you were making the change. But the booking CM can make sure of that for you.
In both cases I believe they transfer your current deposit to the "new" booking.

When we looked at doing it, our Nov cruise was considerably higher than when we booked, so it didn't work out for us.

Hopefully this would work for you, It never hurts to try.

Regina: We have enjoyed Hershey Park many times when our kids were small. It's definately an enjoyable place to visit. We are about 2 hours west of Hershey.

:thumbsup2Great deals with the Amex rewards!

:sad::sad::sad:Just checked online and Skyrush is not due to open until 5/26:confused3
We love coasters. Oh, well, means the crowd will be even smaller tomorrow because everyone will want to wait for Skyrush and the waterpark area to open.:thumbsup2:upsidedow:woohoo:NO lines!

Wow! $200... What did you get me? Can't wait to see! :woohoo:

This resort looks fantastic....I definately want to stay there.

I got you that pic I posted. LOL. After the tour I am pretty sure I don't want to stay there for more than maybe 2 days. It is not around anything, you need a car. I overheard more than one guest complaing about food quality and price paid for said food. It's nice but after going on the slides for two days I ready to leave.

JQ & PI: Just read elsewhere that they do not discount Concierge accommodations by the 10%. That is something you'll have to check into while onboard.

aan1701: Welcome back from your Hawaii Cruise. So how was it?

I got you that pic I posted. LOL. After the tour I am pretty sure I don't want to stay there for more than maybe 2 days. It is not around anything, you need a car. I overheard more than one guest complaing about food quality and price paid for said food. It's nice but after going on the slides for two days I ready to leave.

Alan,
Thank you soooo much! That's the nicest picture of Aulani I've ever gotten.....please, tell me it's not a re-gift!

So I guess the resort is ok as part of a cruise as opposed to a dedicated trip. I think I would definately need to see more than Aulani alone. Do you feel that you had enough time in each port?

To answer a few of the Hawaii questions. First off, no that's not a regift, I took that with my own iPhone. Lol. Did we have enough time in the ports. Yes except Honolulu. I wish we overnighted. I would love to do a bar crawl in Waikiki. It was a Sunday night and that place was happening. I will say this, I would not hezatate to do this again if it fits into the plans.

:thumbsup2Great deals with the Amex rewards!

:sad::sad::sad:Just checked online and Skyrush is not due to open until 5/26:confused3
We love coasters. Oh, well, means the crowd will be even smaller tomorrow because everyone will want to wait for Skyrush and the waterpark area to open.:thumbsup2:upsidedow:woohoo:NO lines!

Been dying to hear about your trip. Did Skyrush have any soft openings? They are really tight on space there, so I'm curious where they built it in the park?

Alan - Welcome Back!!! I've read one or two postings from your fellow cruisers but overall your group has been pretty quiet these past few days. I'm guessing it's hard to resume daily life after a long trip - but I'm willing to give it a try!!! We're debating the Hawaiian cruise embarking from CA vs Hawaii. What's your honest opinion if you had to do it again?

JQ & PI: Just read elsewhere that they do not discount Concierge accommodations by the 10%. That is something you'll have to check into while onboard.

Well this does not sound good! However going from zero discounts to zero discounts is not really a loss. Plus the great deal on this Fantasy gig is more than enough for now.

I wonder if that means we will be allowed a discount for a dummy date down the road? (whoa! were quickly becoming regulars!)

P.S. Love the new signatures!!!

Been dying to hear about your trip. Did Skyrush have any soft openings? They are really tight on space there, so I'm curious where they built it in the park?

We had a wonderful time. Weather was very nice. It was a little more crowded than we expected. There was a big Battle of the States cheer and dance competition on Saturday and they sold discount tickets for Sunday. It took us awhile to figure out the new trend of GIANT hairbows. :rotfl2: Plus local Friendly's were giving out coupons for buy one get one free for Mother's day.

The entrance to Skyrush is where the Tilt a Whirl used to be. It engulfs the Comet (literally surrounds it). It goes all the way up behind the little kiddie type rides at the front. Kindof looked out of place, lol. This giant, shiny new ride swallowing up the old and tiny. :rotfl:Can't wait to ride it though.

Super Duper Looper was closed. Looks like the are give it a face lift and maybe extensions.:cool1:

We had a great day and ended it at Chocolate World:lovestruc

Hope you had a wonderful day too.

Alan - Welcome Back!!! I've read one or two postings from your fellow cruisers but overall your group has been pretty quiet these past few days. I'm guessing it's hard to resume daily life after a long trip - but I'm willing to give it a try!!! We're debating the Hawaiian cruise embarking from CA vs Hawaii. What's your honest opinion if you had to do it again?

Well this was a round trip from LA, and to answer your question if I would would do it again: YES!!!!!!! In a heartbeat. I would not hezatate to do this again. It was truly the second best cruise in DCL I have been on.

Well this was a round trip from LA, and to answer your question if I would would do it again: YES!!!!!!! In a heartbeat. I would not hezatate to do this again. It was truly the second best cruise in DCL I have been on.

That's great to hear!

Need to venture off topic slightly and solicit you re: this upcoming Western Caribbean we booked since you may have been there more than once.
Have you visited either the Tulum or Chacchoben Mayan Ruins? What did you do in Grand Cayman?

We had a wonderful time. Weather was very nice. It was a little more crowded than we expected. There was a big Battle of the States cheer and dance competition on Saturday and they sold discount tickets for Sunday. It took us awhile to figure out the new trend of GIANT hairbows. :rotfl2: Plus local Friendly's were giving out coupons for buy one get one free for Mother's day.

The entrance to Skyrush is where the Tilt a Whirl used to be. It engulfs the Comet (literally surrounds it). It goes all the way up behind the little kiddie type rides at the front. Kindof looked out of place, lol. This giant, shiny new ride swallowing up the old and tiny. :rotfl:Can't wait to ride it though.

Super Duper Looper was closed. Looks like the are give it a face lift and maybe extensions.:cool1:

We had a great day and ended it at Chocolate World:lovestruc

Hope you had a wonderful day too.

Well looks like the secrets out on Mothers Day.
Buy one get one Friendly's coupons? Will note for future reference. thanks

what is a GIANT hairbow? :confused3

Very very interesting to find the Comet surrounded by a big steel coaster. If you're a front car rider, that wooden classic gave a great open air freefall cresting the hills. Really cool at night! Wonder what it'll be like now?

Looks like Skyrush will have to wait for now.
I agree the Super Dooper has lost its Looper! Haven't ridden it in over 25 yrs.

Glad you had a beautiful day. (I can almost smell the chocolate!)

That's great to hear!

Need to venture off topic slightly and solicit you re: this upcoming Western Caribbean we booked since you may have been there more than once.
Have you visited either the Tulum or Chacchoben Mayan Ruins? What did you do in Grand Cayman?

I have not done much in either port. Out of the two trips I have made to Grand cayman I just got off briefly Ro go to the Magraitaville because they had a waterside. In Cozumel I don't get off the ship. I know my wife enjoyed her tour in Grand Cayman to a turtle farm and to Hell.

Well looks like the secrets out on Mothers Day. Thought the same thing
Buy one get one Friendly's coupons? Will note for future reference. thanks If you hear let us know too, that might have come out cheaper than our discount tickets

what is a GIANT hairbow? :confused3LOL We kept seeing girls with really big, hair bows. My DD was asking "What is with this new style?" Then we started noticing the t-shirt, the sequins, the glitter, etc. We decided there must have been something dance, cheer or gymnastic related. During my bench time (one time on the WildCat is enough for me) I googled it. And sure enough Battle of the States at the Giant stadium the day before- cheer and dance teams. So I guess a lot of the girls decided to wear their bows to the park.

Very very interesting to find the Comet surrounded by a big steel coaster. If you're a front car rider, that wooden classic gave a great open air freefall cresting the hills. Really cool at night! Wonder what it'll be like now? The line was crazy for comet when we first got there so we headed for the Great Bear and never made it back but I am curious how it effects it too. The Comet was my first roller coaster ever at the age of 13. Actually Hershey was my first amusement park at 13! DD and DS have been riding coasters, starting at Dutch Wonderland from the time they were tall enough to go on. DD was tall and rode really early.

Looks like Skyrush will have to wait for now.
I agree the Super Dooper has lost its Looper! Haven't ridden it in over 25 yrs.I have spent quite a bit of time on the Super Dooper because when my DS was not tall enough for the Great Bear we would ride it 5 times in a row while waiting for DH and DD. Good exercise because they make you get off and run back around, unlike DW- they will let you stay on if there is no line.

Glad you had a beautiful day. (I can almost smell the chocolate!)Aaaaa! What a beautiful smell!

Hope everyone has a great weekend. We are hoping to go see The Avengers. Anyone seen it yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter