Sept/Oct Planners Check in here

Just read the update on rehabs during our stay and I am a little sad that 2 rides one a favourite and the other a new one I wanted to try are closed.

Star Tours and Toy Story Mania are both closed.

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:
Just some info on why star tours is closing...and what is happening
It is being replaced/updated

The Disney Parks Blog has officially announced that Star Tours will close at Disneyland in California on July 27 and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World in Florida on September 8. The attraction will remain closed into 2011 to make way for Star Tours II, “a new 3-D, immersive experience” that promises to reinvigorate the ride with new technology, story lines, locations, and characters. The official announcement for the long-rumored change was made at last year’s inaugural D23 Expo in Anaheim, Calif.

To prepare for the closure of Star Tours, Disney is holding a “Last Tour to Endor” special event at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, allowing guests to have a going away party of sorts for the attraction that has remained largely unchanged since first opening in 1987 at Disneyland and later at then-Disney-MGM Studios in 1989.

No specific dates have been announced for Star Tours’s 2011 reopening as Star Tours II.

Link

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Star-Tours-3D/News/12Sep2009-Star-Tours-3D-concept-art.htm
http://www.wdwnews.com/viewvideo.aspx?videoid=113798&siteid=1

Small World will be closed too until 22nd October. I have never been to Disney and not been on Small World, very sad :sad1:

OMG, I will be devastated if Small World is closed when we are there next year! I know it's only a minor ride now but it's the one that I have the most memory of from my first trip to Disneyland when I was about age 8. Everytime I've been since then, I've been on Small World - it's somewhat of a Disney tradition for me. Whenever we ride, we get so excited when we see the Maori doll and the two kiwis - although it's very quick so you can't blink or you'd miss it! Particularly when I was a Kiwi living in L.A., it was great to see my home country represented even in such a tiny way. My two younger girls and I have recently watched a video of Small World in MK on You Tube and we sat through the whole ride watching to see if they have a Maori doll and kiwis there too. Well, very briefly we saw a glimpse of them so this is what my 5 year-old is most looking forward to seeing at MK!

OMG, I will be devastated if Small World is closed when we are there next year! I know it's only a minor ride now but it's the one that I have the most memory of from my first trip to Disneyland when I was about age 8. Everytime I've been since then, I've been on Small World - it's somewhat of a Disney tradition for me. Whenever we ride, we get so excited when we see the Maori doll and the two kiwis - although it's very quick so you can't blink or you'd miss it! Particularly when I was a Kiwi living in L.A., it was great to see my home country represented even in such a tiny way. My two younger girls and I have recently watched a video of Small World in MK on You Tube and we sat through the whole ride watching to see if they have a Maori doll and kiwis there too. Well, very briefly we saw a glimpse of them so this is what my 5 year-old is most looking forward to seeing at MK!

I completely understand how you would feel. I was so upset when I found out that it will be closed whilst we are there. We don't miss much as being there for three weeks, they usually only close for a week or two. The first time I went on IASW I was 5, so the thought of going to Disney and not going on it is really really sad :sad: I hope it isn't closed for you when you go, I am devastated that it will be closed for our trip!

Queenie that is bad news on Star Tours at WDW I was hoping the dates on the rehab meant it was for the day only. At least on the other closed DL rides we can make them up at WDW.

On the bright side all good reasons to go back again.

Also by that time the new Cars attractions in CA will also be open.

Queenie that is bad news on Star Tours at WDW I was hoping the dates on the rehab meant it was for the day only. At least on the other closed DL rides we can make them up at WDW.

On the bright side all good reasons to go back again.

Also by that time the new Cars attractions in CA will also be open.

I agree it is a bummer. But at least you did get to experience the original :thumbsup2 in all its jerky glory :rotfl2:
It has a retro nostalgia the original but I do look forward to the new one.

You'll still have a great time!:cool1:

Okay so our trip is looking like this:-

Fly out on Wed 22 Sept to New York (wow what a long day or so this will be)

Staying 6 nights at Hilton New York:- http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/NYCNHHH-Hilton-New-York-New-York/index.do

These 6 days will be filled with shopping, hanging in Central Park, American Museum of Natural History, we want to spend some time wandering in Little Italy, Hells Kitchen, New Jersey (desperate to visit Carlos Bakery, love Cake Boss), and DH's favourite part, the last game of the Yankees baseball season at Yankee Stadium (we changed the whole trip around so we could be there for it LOL). And can't wait to go to Ellen's Stardust Diner again, love love love it.

28 Sept fly to Orlando for 11 nights (how DH ever agreed to my crazy plan I will never know but will be eternally grateful :rotfl:)

Staying at POP Century with free QS Dining - will be upgrading to the Regular Dining Plan though as we feel after a few character meals and a few TS meals, it will be better value to go this way.

I really wanted to stay at a Moderate but only wanted POFQ or CSR and neither were available. Pop will be a far cry from WL which is where I want to stay next December but I think it will be fun and a completely different experience.

Will probably only spend one day visiting WWoHP and probably won't do Universal, although I will investigate ticket prices and may buy the 2 days for one ticket to give us the option because we love love love The Simpsons ride LOL. I would still like to visit NASA but DH and the kids are keen to spend the time in the parks or shopping rather than a whole day away learning something interesting. I may damn well go on my own LOL. This may have to wait until next year once they have their fill of WDW.

We are very excited to take part in the Food & Wine Festival as we are total foodies. And there are a few tragically cool bands playing while we are there like Starship, En Vogue and Richard Marx LOL. I love live music, even bad 80's & 90's live music so Epcot may be where we spend most evenings.

This trip is much more about relaxing and having fun than our last mega trip. We actually want to have a "holiday" this time so I'm keen to be much more fluid about our plans. With that said, I've made some ADR's, well one for every day :rotfl2: but it remains to be seen whether we will actually continue on with that plan.

I am dying to Pick a Pearl with my beautiful DD12 and plan to buy matching Cinderella Carriage necklaces on Ebay in the next week or so to have them set while we are there.

And I am determined to see Fantasmic while we are there. There are no more dinner packages available, not lunch either so we will have to be brave and line up early. DH will be thrilled with that........NOT!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

We'll give MNSSHP a miss this year, we went to the DL one last year and whilst it was a lovely new experience, I don't think we need to go again. Although I did love the amazing costumes, some people are so very creative. Actually I didn't even click that the park would be all decorated for Halloween, we have yet to see a Disney park without Halloween decorations. My dream is to see the Christmas ones now, so fingers crossed DH doesn't change his mind about next year now that we are going this year.

I really can't wait. I'm nervous about the bus system, not convinced it works as well as I would hope but as I said, we aren't in a rush this time so I hope I can "stop and smell the roses" the whole time.

Oh and Blizzard Beach, can't wait to go here.

Fly home on 9 Oct, arrive back in Canberra on 11 Oct

Well that's where we are for now. How does it sound so far?

Excellent Shuttergirl! So happy for you! And I can't wait to see your photos.

This trip is much more about relaxing and having fun than our last mega trip. We actually want to have a "holiday" this time so I'm keen to be much more fluid about our plans. With that said, I've made some ADR's, well one for every day :rotfl2: but it remains to be seen whether we will actually continue on with that plan.
Good luck with that :lmao::rotfl2:
That was our plan last time - which was our 4th trip to WDW - and we were rushing around on our last day trying to fit in our last round of shopping :rolleyes1
And we didn't get time to do ANY pool hopping :confused3 even though we were there for 14 nights and didn't do NASA or Universal... :rotfl:

Looks good!
I know you will have a blast! :cool1:

Ms Shuttergirl

Who did you book your WDW through, and when did you book it? We are going to be there from the 27th sept thru to 5th oct! Still havent booked yet, we are hoping to stay at a moderate resort, are you saying we may have missed the boat? Dealing with Mindy from Dreams Unlimited atm!! Wanted the free dining, do you think we can still make ADRs??
:confused:

Ms Shuttergirl

Who did you book your WDW through, and when did you book it? We are going to be there from the 27th sept thru to 5th oct! Still havent booked yet, we are hoping to stay at a moderate resort, are you saying we may have missed the boat? Dealing with Mindy from Dreams Unlimited atm!! Wanted the free dining, do you think we can still make ADRs??

The only moderate that was available was Carribean Beach and only the pirate rooms or something like that. I didn't want that so decided Pop was a much better bet with the upgrade to Regular Dining. And the price was considerably cheaper.

I booked with Bob at Mouse Tales Travel. Amazing service.

I have made some adr's online but there isn't much left that's for sure.

I would recommend getting your booking in place pretty quickly.

Ms Shuttergirl

I would get online and make your ADR's ASAP, you don't have to have a hotel booked to make your ADR's. There are still some available, I was on last night making some changes and was able to get a few places. We couldn't get Mickey's Backyard BBQ but I've been reading since and it seems to be better for younger children so maybe it's meant to be :sad1: (trying to find a positive in missing out :rotfl: ). It will be hard to find some of the popular restaurants like Le Cellier but cancellations do happen so if you don't get what you want, book something else and keep checking back online as new bookings do come up. Chef Mickey's is usually very hard to get into and it has opened up for lunch now with Free Dining, so was able to get lunch there yesterday for September.

Good luck with that :lmao::rotfl2:
That was our plan last time - which was our 4th trip to WDW - and we were rushing around on our last day trying to fit in our last round of shopping :rolleyes1
And we didn't get time to do ANY pool hopping :confused3 even though we were there for 14 nights and didn't do NASA or Universal... :rotfl:

Looks good!
I know you will have a blast! :cool1:

Hahahahaha, yes I can see where saying this time we're having a "holiday" could seem ambition and naive. I can already see myself as a crazed commando person needing to see everything. But I promise myself that since I already know I'm going to get to go back to WDW another time, that if I miss something, it's not the end of the world. I can catch it next time.

By the way, where are you guys reading what the ride closures for Sept/Oct are going to be? I've tried finding it on the website but can't seem to see it?

Hahahahaha, yes I can see where saying this time we're having a "holiday" could seem ambition and naive. I can already see myself as a crazed commando person needing to see everything. But I promise myself that since I already know I'm going to get to go back to WDW another time, that if I miss something, it's not the end of the world. I can catch it next time.

By the way, where are you guys reading what the ride closures for Sept/Oct are going to be? I've tried finding it on the website but can't seem to see it?

I found the rehabs notices here http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm and also on allears.net :thumbsup2

For the updates...this is an example.

Go here for DHS
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/hollywood-studios/calendar/
The click on the individual DAY
And you get the operational things for that day listed on the side

For example the 27th Sept
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/hollywood-studios/calendardayview/?asmbly_day=20100927

eg
Star Tours
Closed for Refurbishment (Wednesday, September 8 - Monday, May 16)
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream
Closed for Refurbishment (Monday, August 16 - Tuesday, November 2)

I would get online and make your ADR's ASAP, you don't have to have a hotel booked to make your ADR's. There are still some available, I was on last night making some changes and was able to get a few places. We couldn't get Mickey's Backyard BBQ but I've been reading since and it seems to be better for younger children so maybe it's meant to be :sad1: (trying to find a positive in missing out :rotfl: ). It will be hard to find some of the popular restaurants like Le Cellier but cancellations do happen so if you don't get what you want, book something else and keep checking back online as new bookings do come up. Chef Mickey's is usually very hard to get into and it has opened up for lunch now with Free Dining, so was able to get lunch there yesterday for September.

But it says that Chef Mickey's doesn't have characters at lunch on the reservation. Is that correct?

But it says that Chef Mickey's doesn't have characters at lunch on the reservation. Is that correct?

I don't think it is correct (you are correct that it doesn't say characters online though :rotfl: ). In the past whenever they have had lunch open they always have had characters. Apparently people are calling to make the ADR's and the Cast members are saying there are characters and I am sure somebody has said they have been told by somebody at the restaurant that there will be characters. There is a thread over on the restaurants board about it. I'll see if I can find it :thumbsup2

Found one of the threads, can't find the other...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2500307

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter