Votes: 45 70.3%
  • Politely correct and decline

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Get offended and storm out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, because there has to be an other

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
I have not been offered one, but honestly I'd probably take the discount while silently criticizing my looks, lol.
Some days I probably look old enough :rotfl2: <darn 4 teens>

MIchaels senior discount is 55+. It's the same percentage as the military discount. On the screen it only shows a percentage that's why the cashier couldn't tell if it was military or senior (I work there part time).
how does one get that added to their account?

how does one get that added to their account?
For Michaels it is added on your rewards account profile. If you can't get to it you can call their customer service and they can help you. The store can't add it.

Reactions: Deb
The only time I declined a discount was when I was wearing a t-shirt from my cousin's fire station. She's an EMT. The clerk tried to give me the first responder's discount and I just said, no thank you, I'm only wearing the shirt. That didn't feel right. No, I don't know why I'd take the senior discount but not the first responder. I guess I'm selective in my dishonesty.
I know why, there is a difference for taking a discount set for someone that is doing wonderful things like EMT. It would be something that I would feel guilty about if something like that is offered, but you are not taking credit for anything but being older. Even if you aren't the required age believe me that in the speed of light you will be. It will leave you standing there muttering to yourself "What's Happening? I was just a kid yesterday."

I take the AARP discount when booking hotels and car rentals, but I don’t ask for it otherwise. Sometimes it is offered and I accept it.

About 12 years ago when I was about 53 and DW was 51, a young supermarket cashier automatically gave us the age 60+ Tuesday discount and told us. I thought it was funny, DW was aghast. Of course I teased DW that the cashier based the decision on her. :duck:

Then a year or two later we were at a buffet restaurant where you pay before eating. While glancing at the receipt later, I noticed we received a senior discount. I was so insulted that I ALMOST went back and insisted on paying full price. ;)

I’ve only been asked a few times and politely declined, but I just turned 54 and so should probably start asking about their definition of senior.

Until recently I had the good fortune of looking older (more mature) then I was. When I was 16 I was hired for a job because the lady thought I was in my 20's. I never was carded in my entire life. Gradually, my body started to match up to my actual age. I think it was around when I was 67 or 68 that people stopped asking and just gave it to me.

I’m nowhere near being of senior’s age (55+ at some places). If I were offered, I would be offended and decline the discount, thank you very much! My ID was checked well into my late 20s but then after my kids were born, they stopped checking, lol.
I was asked once and I was SO offended! Out to dinner with my dad in a small rural town on vacation. He asked about the senior discount. The server looked at me and said, "You too?" I was barely 30, and had just been carded to buy alcohol a week earlier! Um, no, not even close!

Sure, I’m 61 and take advantage of any deals when I can. As noted, some of them start at 55 or even younger. Though if I’m younger than the required age, say 65, I would be honest.

Last edited:
Publix offers a senior (age 60) discount on Wednesdays. I had no idea until they asked me if I qualified. I said, "Ask me next year!"

Of course, by the time I qualify, I'll hopefully have some of the vultures moving out of the house.

On principle, I won't join AARP. They're too political, and my data is more valuable to them than the discount is tp me. FTR, this isn't a comment about what they specifically support or fight against--I just figure any organization made up of thousands of people is never going to represent the viewpoint of all of them, and so should stay out of politics. Seniors don't vote monolithically--neither does any other age group (or ethnic group, or educated group...).

If someone wants to give me a senior discount they can go right ahead!

They did give me one at Dunkin a few years ago without even asking, I just saw it on my receipt after. I don't know if the cashier actually thought I was old or if she just likes to give random discounts (I was in my early 30s at the time and still tend to look younger than I am, so I can't see someone thinking I was a senior citizen).

If someone wants to give me a senior discount they can go right ahead!

They did give me one at Dunkin a few years ago without even asking, I just saw it on my receipt after. I don't know if the cashier actually thought I was old or if she just likes to give random discounts (I was in my early 30s at the time and still tend to look younger than I am, so I can't see someone thinking I was a senior citizen).
Perhaps you treated them with respect. They usually aren't allowed to just give out discounts but they can deal with the unprovable ones like AARP and voila it's not only Disney that can provide a little magic.

I voted take the money and run, but honestly don't think I've ever been asked. Around here, they don't generally offer discounts. Now that I qualify for most discounts I've certainly never had them question when I request it. DH is younger than me so sometimes doesn't qualify, but if they give it to him too (he's balding so at first glance can look older than me) we don't complain! If we self identify, we are always honest according to whatever guidelines they set though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter