Selling something you got for free/as a gift from someone

gmar1210

Mouseketeer
So would anyone sell something that was given to you as a gift/intended to help in order to make extra $$

This is what happened to us. We just gave someone a really nice stroller and matching car seat since son does not fit in seat and we upgraded to a different stroller. I listed it as free and I indicated that I would like it to go to someone who is in need of a stroller and car seat. A few dozen people reached out to us but one lady wrote a sobbing story how her husband left her and she was all alone with a newborn with nothing at all. I told her to come over and get the stroller. I threw in a bouncy chair and several other items no longer needed. Yesterday I was browsing around on this local page where people sell items and I found my stroller on there listed for $300 along with all the other items I gave them. I messaged her and asked why she lied where she responded “oh well”.

So would anyone sell something that was given to you as a gift/intended to help in order to make extra $$

This is what happened to us. We just gave someone a really nice stroller and matching car seat since son does not fit in seat and we upgraded to a different stroller. I listed it as free and I indicated that I would like it to go to someone who is in need of a stroller and car seat. A few dozen people reached out to us but one lady wrote a sobbing story how her husband left her and she was all alone with a newborn with nothing at all. I told her to come over and get the stroller. I threw in a bouncy chair and several other items no longer needed. Yesterday I was browsing around on this local page where people sell items and I found my stroller on there listed for $300 along with all the other items I gave them. I messaged her and asked why she lied where she responded “oh well”.
this is why I never fall for sob stories people just use nice folks to get free stuff. I would never take something for free than resell it. Block the person and forget about it imo. This person will have to live with this choice and thats on them to feel bad later in life for abusing a nice person.

Many swap sites have rules around this sort of deception. you could copy / screenshot & report her. She will possibly be banned, but maybe not...as frustrating as it is, keep in mind she probably does need $ if she is doing this... chalk it up to a good deed & walk away, head held high.

I think someone who would do this probably does need the money. Personally I only give free baby things to people I know. Otherwise I sell the stuff at a garage sale, or donate it to a local organization that helps the homeless. Like stated above, you could try reporting her.

I have reported her to the site and emailed a few other local sites to warn them of her.

I really don’t think she needs the money since the address the listed for the items being sold is in a better area than where I live. I just think it’s someone who is greedy and would take advantage of anyone who would give her a hand

Your title is misleading... “would you lie to obtain something for free and then sell it?” Is more accurate. I have no qualms selling a Xmas or Bday gift but this situation is very different and of course I don’t lie to get stuff for free in order to sell it. Although it sounds like it’s a very lucrative business in your area :(

Imho next time just donate it. There are too many sharks mixed in with actually needy people for you to know who is who. Sure, someone might buy it and resell it online but at least they’re running a “legit” business.

Your title is misleading... “would you lie to obtain something for free and then sell it?” Is more accurate. I have no qualms selling a Xmas or Bday gift but this situation is very different and of course I don’t lie to get stuff for free in order to sell it. Although it sounds like it’s a very lucrative business in your area :(

Imho next time just donate it. There are too many sharks mixed in with actually needy people for you to know who is who. Sure, someone might buy it and resell it online but at least they’re running a “legit” business.
I guess I should have worded it better. Basically there is a local Facebook page where you list items for free. I was doing this to help out someone in need.

I wouldn't lie to obtain items for free then immediately sell them. But not everyone in this world is an fine, upstanding citizen.

I've learned not to trust random people because of things just like this. I prefer to call around and find a charity that would be able to identify a client in need. In this case, I would probably have started with some women's shelters.

Just mark it down as a lesson learned in life. You meant well. Karma is on your side.

I wouldn't lie to obtain items for free then immediately sell them. But not everyone in this world is an fine, upstanding citizen.

I've learned not to trust random people because of things just like this. I prefer to call around and find a charity that would be able to identify a client in need. In this case, I would probably have started with some women's shelters.

Just mark it down as a lesson learned in life. You meant well. Karma is on your side.
Agreed.
When I give a something away that's it. I no longer worry about it and am just happy it's no longer cluttering up my immediate environment.

I think someone who would do this probably does need the money. Personally I only give free baby things to people I know. Otherwise I sell the stuff at a garage sale, or donate it to a local organization that helps the homeless. Like stated above, you could try reporting her.

Not necessarily. I know someone who does this who is well to do. Your morals are your morals whether you are rich or poor. People around here often do this and sell the stuff for drug money.

Once you give something away, it belongs to the person you gave it to, and they can do as they wish with it.

Seems to me the person was doing you a favor for taking the items off your hands. Taking them to the dump would have cost you money to get rid of them. We tried to give away old strollers and cribs and the donation places wouldn't take them. I had to pay to dispose of them at the city transfer station.

Seems to me the person was doing you a favor for taking the items off your hands. Taking them to the dump would have cost you money to get rid of them. We tried to give away old strollers and cribs and the donation places wouldn't take them. I had to pay to dispose of them at the city transfer station.
They did us no favor. It was only 6 months old and cost us close to $500 for everything. I could have just put it out to the trash for the garbage pickup to take. There were about 15 people wanting it but her sob story stood out due to her telling me her husband abandoned them and she was a single mom. Goodwill would have been glad to take this and they had no problem taking our old crib.

They did us no favor. It was only 6 months old and cost us close to $500 for everything. I could have just put it out to the trash for the garbage pickup to take. There were about 15 people wanting it but her sob story stood out due to her telling me her husband abandoned them and she was a single mom. Goodwill would have been glad to take this and they had no problem taking our old crib.
I agree, I gave away all of my baby stuff, I remember seeing another twin mom in the park with a huge travel system, mine had just outgrown the double snap and go, so I asked if she wanted it. My town picks up large items once a week, I can put a couch or refrigerator out there. It’s not what that woman did to you, since you are still whole, but she took something someone else needed.

I agree, I gave away all of my baby stuff, I remember seeing another twin mom in the park with a huge travel system, mine had just outgrown the double snap and go, so I asked if she wanted it. My town picks up large items once a week, I can put a couch or refrigerator out there. It’s not what that woman did to you, since you are still whole, but she took something someone else needed.
Exactly. My town does the same thing every Friday. There was someone else I was going to give it to but I felt bad for this lady. She still has it listed but there are still no takers. I am really tempted to make a comment on her listing that she should give it to someone in need instead of selling it.

... Goodwill would have been glad to take this ...
Goodwill also sells items, or discards items they think/find they cannot sell.

Right now I have a variety of things I want to give away so that they don't get thrown in the trash. If I saw one for sale by the person I gave it to, I know the item will probably not go in the trash. Have a lot of clothing to dispose of but don't want to give that to Goodwill because there is a high probability that clothing given to Goodwill ends up in the trash.

... It was only 6 months old and cost us close to $500 for everything. I could have just put it out to the trash for the garbage pickup to take ...
You mean you were seriously considering putting it in the trash yourself?

... There was someone else I was going to give it to ...
You should have.

You had no way of knowing whether any of the other 15 folks milling around where you actually did give it away had the same idea in mind, putting a price tag on it and trying to sell it.

Last edited:
Goodwill also sells items, or discards items they think/find they cannot sell.

Right now I have a variety of things I want to give away so that they don't get thrown in the trash. If I saw one for sale by the person I gave it to, I know the item will probably not go in the trash.

You mean you were seriously considering putting it in the trash yourself?

You should have.

You had no way of knowing whether any of the other 15 folks milling around where you actually did give it away had the same idea in mind, putting a price tag on it and trying to sell it.
Yes we were going to toss it. We are clearing out the garage to make space for the golf cart we purchased and need to get rid of anything no longer being used.
You are right, I would have never known. Just knowing that it could have gone to a family needing it really bothers me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter