• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Secrets & Little Known Facts about rides

We were told by a cast member that at AK, when they first built "Pride Rock" for the lions on Kilamanjaro Safari, they had trouble getting the lions to stay on top of the rock (because it's in the sun and can get very hot during the day). Apparently the lions were seeking out the shade and were not viewable to visitors.

To encourage the lions to stay in a viewable area, on top of the rock, they drilled holes in the top of the rock, and continually pump cold, air-conditioned air through the holes! What a great, creative idea. I knew that zookeepers often put out "browse" (edible plant material) by viewing areas at zoos and wildlife parks to attract the animalsm but thought this was a genius idea for the predators!

(This fact was actually told to us by a CM on the behind-the-scenes tour at AK.)

Also, why in gods name would my parents make a story about that, that's just plain cruel.

Maybe what happened was the ride was closed and the CM was in "character" and said it was closed due to deaths and your parents took it seriously :confused3

Great thread - really interesting :)

And if it's wrong, someone edits it back. I guess you're not aware that Wikipedia is as accurate as Encyclopedia Brittanica.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

Erm- ALMOST as accurate. Which is what the article suggests. Wikipedia comes close to but is not as accurate.

To Britannica officials, however, the Nature results showed that Wikipedia still has a way to go.
"The (Nature) article is saying that Wikipedia has a third more errors" than Britannica, said Jorge Cauz, president of Encyclopedia Britannica.

I havent seen this yet but Im only on page 22
+ Indiana Jones is built in the old Eyeyore parking lots in DL. When youre in the projection room facing the screen, if you look to the to the far back OVER the shelving, you can see the old blue Eyeyore parking sign but you need a strong flashlight. We brought a LED light and looked up and caught a glimpse of it but its really annoying to everyone else so we didnt look further. The 3rd turn in the queue was the easiest spot to look.
+ Also on Indy, the car always continues on the same track when you get to the part with the three doors (can remember specifics right now - im at work). There are "tracks" on the ground you can see for show, but the actual room rotates to make it seem like youre going on a different track even though its all the same

i was reading a blog before this thread and i saw that a teenaged boy died from getting out of the doombuggy and slipped on the walkway and fell. dont know if this info is true :confused3.

LOVE this thread!!

I can't believe ToT actually got struck by lightning!! How ironic is that!!:rotfl2:

i was reading a blog before this thread and i saw that a teenaged boy died from getting out of the doombuggy and slipped on the walkway and fell. dont know if this info is true :confused3.

LOVE this thread!!

I can't believe ToT actually got struck by lightning!! How ironic is that!!:rotfl2:

That's the one I alluded to in a previous post as having urban legend status...but another search turns up an article from the Examiner. It doesn't give much details to corroborate though. And a little more investigation shows that the article appears to be taken word for word from a book called "Florida's Ghostly Legends and Haunted Folklore: Volume 1: South and Central", copyrighted 6 years before the Examiner article, but credited to the same person. So I don't know if we can take that as proof.

Any other references appear to be more vague and seem to point back to this source.

C'mon guys i dont want this thread to die!! i love reading all the facts and secrets!!!!

There are no dead threads on the DIS.... only locked threads and sleeping threads.

The threads you THINK are dead will always be resurrected..... even if it's just under a different name.

There are no dead threads on the DIS.... only locked threads and sleeping threads.

The threads you THINK are dead will always be resurrected..... even if it's just under a different name.

By dead i meant no-one would ever post on it again. I didn't mean that the thread would get taken away or be 'killed' by the moderators.

This was pointed out to me by a CM at Great Movie Ride:

There are several Hidden Mickeys in the World that are tough little bugs to find. However, this one takes the cake. You know the big scrim in the background of the loading area where you see the layout of Hollywood and the hills? And there are lots and lots of little buildings with lights on?

Well in one of those tiny little buildings is a Hidden Mickey.

In one of the tiny windows.

A silhouette.

If you're there, the pain of looking for this one is evident when you see it for yourself.

By dead i meant no-one would ever post on it again. I didn't mean that the thread would get taken away or be 'killed' by the moderators.

I recently saw a 3yr old thread about the SSE Epcot sign being removed get resurrected. It's not the first time I've seen ancient threads brought back to life. That's why I say there are no dead threads, they just decide to sleep for awhile.

I recently saw a 3yr old thread about the SSE Epcot sign being removed get resurrected. It's not the first time I've seen ancient threads brought back to life. That's why I say there are no dead threads, they just decide to sleep for awhile.

Oh OK.

Hi gang,
When they ran the first test on the tower of terror the basement walls blew out from all the air pressure that the elevator being pulled down caused. They had to be rebuilt with large vents allowing all that air pressure to escape.

I know this is an old one, but just had to comment on this. This is the reason those "elevator doors" (or what you want to call them) opens on the outside of the building while the ride is running. So sometimes if one of the lifts is broken down, the reason is simply a problem with the doors.

Also, the chair in the lobby in Akershus (Norway restaurant) is from Pirates of Caribbean.

I know this is an old one, but just had to comment on this. This is the reason those "elevator doors" (or what you want to call them) opens on the outside of the building while the ride is running. So sometimes if one of the lifts is broken down, the reason is simply a problem with the doors.

I don't believe this is true...the problem is with air compression when the lift comes down at a high rate of speed...the air is compressed at the bottom of the shaft and needs someplace to go. Having doors at the top of the shaft do not help in this case.

I'm not sure if that's entirely true. The ride, when it originally opened was designed with a single drop. When you entered the drop shaft, The elevator rose to the top of the tower. It 'dinged' to let you know you'd arrived at your floor before the doors opened leaving you staring out at the missing wing, and then yanked you down to your doom.

IOW's.... i'm pretty sure the doors at the top are more of a show element that has simply lost it's importance/focus in the years since the ride opened due to changes made to the ride.

Ive read through the whole thread and this hasn't been mentioned!

As most of us know, there is a ToT in Disney World and California Adventure out in Disneyland. Well, they both have 'The Hollywood Tower Hotel' lit up on the front of them.

What I found out was in WDW the 'E' in the word tower flickers and in DLR, the 'W' in the word tower flickers. This is done purposefully because the one in WDW is on the East coast...and the one in DLR, its on the West coast!

Its a little detail, but its still cool!

Ive read through the whole thread and this hasn't been mentioned!

As most of us know, there is a ToT in Disney World and California Adventure out in Disneyland. Well, they both have 'The Hollywood Tower Hotel' lit up on the front of them.

What I found out was in WDW the 'E' in the word tower flickers and in DLR, the 'W' in the word tower flickers. This is done purposefully because the one in WDW is on the East coast...and the one in DLR, its on the West coast!

Its a little detail, but its still cool!

I realised that but never thought it was because if the East or West coast!:thumbsup2

This post is so exciting! It will be my fiance's first trip on our honeymoon and I'm totally gonna impress him with knowledge!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter