seattle

Seattle's biggest problem is that Washington State has the most inequitable taxing structure in the entire country. The trillionaires here pay very little in state/local taxes while low income residents are required to fork over a far higher % of their earnings. The deplorables are hammered while the elites get off scott free.

I think littlejimmy is referring to the takeover of an area in Seattle by protesters, supposedly including some heavily-armed persons who claimed to be Antifa. Most of the media is ignoring the people with assault weapons, but there are numerous pictures and videos on social media.

They are calling the area the "Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone" or CHAZ, and the police have withdrawn from the area and abandoned their precinct there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/seattle-autonomous-zone.html

Glad we got to visit this beautiful city before the "protesters" destroyed it.
Hope their leaders step up soon and protect their citizens from this mob.
We are re-doing our itinerary for our canceled Alaska trip, which we will be doing next summer, as a result of this unrest and associated safety concerns.

The original plan was to fly to Seattle, ferry over to Victoria for a few days, ferry back, and then fly to Juneau for the Alaska portion of the trip.

Now we plan to fly to Vancouver, BC instead, ferry back and forth, and then fly to Juneau. If the Vancouver to Juneau portion is too complicated, we'll just skip Victoria.

We are re-doing our itinerary for our canceled Alaska trip, which we will be doing next summer, as a result of this unrest and associated safety concerns.

The original plan was to fly to Seattle, ferry over to Victoria for a few days, ferry back, and then fly to Juneau for the Alaska portion of the trip.

Now we plan to fly to Vancouver, BC instead, ferry back and forth, and then fly to Juneau. If the Vancouver to Juneau portion is too complicated, we'll just skip Victoria.

wow. I don’t have a crystal ball of course, but I guess I’m surprised you think this will still be going on next summer. That said, I’m not a huge fan of downtown Seattle. I usually avoid it if possible.

We flew into Seattle then took Amtrak to Vancouver for our Alaskan trip.
It was a beautiful city, it is heartbreaking to watch their leaders just walk away and let it be destroyed.
Hope things settle before your trip.
We spent several days in Vancouver on the same trip.
It was warm and welcoming city as well.
Enjoy your trip!

You know if you really wanted to fly into Seattle it's still overall fine. They took over six city blocks that are easily avoided. I wouldn't consider it a big deal to just avoid it. And in any case it seems more like a modern day occupation of Alcatraz.

We're looking to do our own road trip when we finally can, and we're not going to avoid Seattle. All ferries to Vancouver Island are unaffected. If you're taking a car, the car ferries are in Port Angeles and Anacortes, which are in small towns. And especially for next summer I wouldn't worry about anything. This will all pass.

We flew into Seattle then took Amtrak to Vancouver for our Alaskan trip.
It was a beautiful city, it is heartbreaking to watch their leaders just walk away and let it be destroyed.
Hope things settle before your trip.
We spent several days in Vancouver on the same trip.
It was warm and welcoming city as well.
Enjoy your trip!
Yep. I've been to both Vancouver and Seattle several times. I actually like Vancouver better, but the transportation from there to Juneau might be an issue. We'll see.

If you're taking a car, the car ferries are in Port Angeles and Anacortes, which are in small towns.
No cars. We're taking the Victoria Clipper, which leaves from right downtown just a few blocks from the CHAZ. We'll be coordinating two family groups, which will be like herding cats anyway, so I'm not looking for any additional drama. By myself, I wouldn't even think twice, but with a group of 7 it's a different story.
And especially for next summer I wouldn't worry about anything. This will all pass.
You're probably right, but we have to make a lot of our arrangements many months in advance for a variety of reasons.

Plus, if we go through Vancouver we get to visit a nicer city. And if our YVR-JNU flight has to stop at SEA, that's way south of Seattle anyway and we wouldn't even leave the airport.

You know if you really wanted to fly into Seattle it's still overall fine. They took over six city blocks that are easily avoided. I wouldn't consider it a big deal to just avoid it. And in any case it seems more like a modern day occupation of Alcatraz.

We're looking to do our own road trip when we finally can, and we're not going to avoid Seattle. All ferries to Vancouver Island are unaffected. If you're taking a car, the car ferries are in Port Angeles and Anacortes, which are in small towns. And especially for next summer I wouldn't worry about anything. This will all pass.

Yes, OP is looking at next year. Currently all international ferry routes from WA to Canada are suspended. If YOU are looking at this year, please keep that in mind. The Coho (Port Angeles to Victoria) ferry announced they will not reopen this year because of COVID. Hopefully they do next year, since they are very important to the Port Angeles economy. British Columbia is saying they are considering keeping the border closed throughout the fall.

No cars. We're taking the Victoria Clipper, which leaves from right downtown just a few blocks from the CHAZ. We'll be coordinating two family groups, which will be like herding cats anyway, so I'm not looking for any additional drama. By myself, I wouldn't even think twice, but with a group of 7 it's a different story. You're probably right, but we have to make a lot of our arrangements many months in advance for a variety of reasons.

Plus, if we go through Vancouver we get to visit a nicer city. And if our YVR-JNU flight has to stop at SEA, that's way south of Seattle anyway and we wouldn't even leave the airport.

just keep in mind that the “Vancouver to Victoria” ferry is misleading, as it’s actually Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, with Tsawwassen being about 30 min south of Vancouver and Swartz Bay being about an hour bus ride from downtown Victoria. The clipper is definitely more convenient.

No cars. We're taking the Victoria Clipper, which leaves from right downtown just a few blocks from the CHAZ. We'll be coordinating two family groups, which will be like herding cats anyway, so I'm not looking for any additional drama. By myself, I wouldn't even think twice, but with a group of 7 it's a different story. You're probably right, but we have to make a lot of our arrangements many months in advance for a variety of reasons.

I'm trying to recall all the times I went to Vancouver Island. Our last trip was in 2015 and we took the Tswassen-Swartz Bay Ferry and left via the Sidney-Anacortes ferry.

Years ago I was on a family trip where we took the Port Angeles-Victoria ferry. I'm kind of surprised that it's 35 years later and the same ship is running. It seemed old even back then.

The Victoria Clipper ferry terminal is over a 2 mile drive from this big drama. And if you're taking shuttle buses I can't imagine it would be an issue even if CHAZ isn't resolved by next summer.

I think littlejimmy is referring to the takeover of an area in Seattle by protesters, supposedly including some heavily-armed persons who claimed to be Antifa. Most of the media is ignoring the people with assault weapons, but there are numerous pictures and videos on social media.

They are calling the area the "Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone" or CHAZ, and the police have withdrawn from the area and abandoned their precinct there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/seattle-autonomous-zone.html
Huh. Certain people were quite fine and dandy when protesters showed up with assault rifles in Michigan. There is an article within the one you posted stating there is little to no evidence that group was involved at all.
Glad we got to visit this beautiful city before the "protesters" destroyed it.
Hope their leaders step up soon and protect their citizens from this mob.
Did you read the article? These “mobs” are pretty much having “peace ins” and doing chalk drawings. The police stepped aside willingly. My DD lives in Seattle and is not alarmed at all.

Huh. Certain people were quite fine and dandy when protesters showed up with assault rifles in Michigan. There is an article within the one you posted stating there is little to no evidence that group was involved at all.

Did you read the article? These “mobs” are pretty much having “peace ins” and doing chalk drawings. The police stepped aside willingly. My DD lives in Seattle and is not alarmed at all.

Yes it’s interesting to see how it’s being portrayed in the media. They’re bringing in pastors and feeding the homeless lol!

Yes, OP is looking at next year. Currently all international ferry routes from WA to Canada are suspended. If YOU are looking at this year, please keep that in mind. The Coho (Port Angeles to Victoria) ferry announced they will not reopen this year because of COVID. Hopefully they do next year, since they are very important to the Port Angeles economy. British Columbia is saying they are considering keeping the border closed throughout the fall.

I understood that the ferries aren't running now. However, my thinking was that the various ship terminals aren't terribly close to this particular "event". At least the Victoria Clipper and main cruise ship terminals are in what used to be an industrial part of town.

I understood that the ferries aren't running now. However, my thinking was that the various ship terminals aren't terribly close to this particular "event". At least the Victoria Clipper and main cruise ship terminals are in what used to be an industrial part of town.
Oh, my advice there was to YOU if you were thinking of coming THIS year. We don’t believe the border will be open/ships will be running until the fall. I work in the maritime industry so we’re in pretty close communication with these guys. Tourism in general in the PNW is rather screwed.

Grew up in WA, went to UW, visited Capitol Hill many times. I get it's usual vibe, this is just dialed up a little more. I think it's hilarious watching the freak out over this. It's way more 1970's, free love, sit in then anything else. A local journalist started calling the businesses located within the zone, and they are all fine. Cops shooting and tear gassing peaceful protests did more to disrupt their businesses than this will. As mentioned above, a dangerous part of Seattle is downtown, and due to the systemic inequities allowed to persist. Things were sketchy when I went to UW in the mid-90's and it's sad seeing and hearing about how much worse it's gotten over the last 20+ years.

Because of this, I did learn something about Seattle's history that I did not know. I knew about the student takeovers of certain buildings at UW in protest during the Vietnam War. Unrelated to the war, I did not know about this Native American organized protest in 1970.

https://depts.washington.edu/civilr/FtLawton_takeover.htm

The articles are nonsense. No need to worry about visiting that protest area next Summer. By then most of the old buildings will be torn down and some new high rise apartments will be going up and a long line of prospective tenants will be waiting to fork over $5,000 a month to live there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter