Seasonal produce suggestions anyone?

LuckyBelle81

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any suggestions for fresh produce options for the fall/winter? I have no problem finding things I like in the spring and summer but as we approach the cooler months there is not as much available (locally anyway; I realize I can always buy strawberries from South America but I would rather get local produce bc of the cost savings and freshness). I'm doing Weight Watchers and have really relied on fruits and veggies to get me through my cravings and difficult times of day when I'm prone to binging. I love my watermelon, pineapple, etc but I'm noticing that they are losing they're flavor as we are getting closer to the time that they are out of season. I'm good with apples and bananas but it gets boring after a while. I do use frozen berries for smoothies but you can't really sit down with a bowl of frozen strawberries for a snack, or at least I don't.:P

I know you posted apples and bananas, but have you really gone through the different types of apples? Honeycrisp are just hitting stores and they're only available in the fall.

Looking at just US crops: Pears and peaches will be in season through the fall, squashes and sweet potatoes will be through the fall and into the winter. Come mid-winter I usually end up paying the higher prices for produce to make it through.

I know you posted apples and bananas, but have you really gone through the different types of apples? Honeycrisp are just hitting stores and they're only available in the fall.

Just wanted to let you know I picked up some honey crisp apples yesterday and they were great!! Thanks for the suggesion. Not sure how I had never tried those before.

Pomegranates will be in season shortly! I love fresh pomegranate, even if it is a pain prepare. A lot of citrus fruits will also be in season as the weather gets cooler.

typical winter vegetables are beets, turnips, kale, cabbage, leek, cauliflower. I love all the citrus fruits that are in season in the winter. But I also tend to get frozen stuff more in winter. One of my favorite are frozen raspberries. They even make a nice snack to eat as they are in my opinion as they are like little frozen treats. I don't think it works with strawberries, but raspberries because they crumble and then thaw in your mouth work very well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter