Seasickness and Allegra?

dek269

Mouseketeer
I just saw my doctor and asked about the patch- I wanted ot try it before hand to make sure I could handle the side effects-- she said that it many times has psycological side effects-- like major mood swings or sudden bursts of anger... no thank you! I told her that non-drowsy dramamine makes me tired- she prescribed Allegra- a non sedating antihistamine, anyone else ever try this? Does it work?

Do you normally have adverse effects from medicine? I have used the patch on two separate cruises and havent had anything bad happen. I did have one doctor who wouldnt prescribe them for me but my obgyn did. I would listen to everyone else and see about the allegra and see if anyone else did or didnt have problems. Our cruise was awesome! Good Luck!!!!

I take allegra for allergies, never heard of it being used for motion-sickness..

I would do some research on it, try googling it or even see if Allegra has a faq on its website...

I have never used Allegra, but I will say DH and I used Mechlazine (sp?) our last cruise and we never had any sea sickness whatsoever and let me tell ya the trip back to Port Canaveral we were rockin and a rollin. It is something you can get over the counter you just have to ask the Pharmacist. We didn't get tired when we took it and didn't notice any other side effects.

I have never used Allegra, but I will say DH and I used Mechlazine (sp?) our last cruise and we never had any sea sickness whatsoever and let me tell ya the trip back to Port Canaveral we were rockin and a rollin. It is something you can get over the counter you just have to ask the Pharmacist. We didn't get tired when we took it and didn't notice any other side effects.

I agree with Mechlazine, never a problem. Our first cruise decided not to use the patches we brought. Our dinner partner got double vision from the patch. This is a side effect from it. When we had 16 foot seas, we went to guest services and they gave us mechlazine on our first cruise. We took them for our second cruise everyday of our 10 Wonder cruise and never felt a thing.

I just saw my doctor and asked about the patch- I wanted ot try it before hand to make sure I could handle the side effects-- she said that it many times has psycological side effects-- like major mood swings or sudden bursts of anger... no thank you! I told her that non-drowsy dramamine makes me tired- she prescribed Allegra- a non sedating antihistamine, anyone else ever try this? Does it work?

Apparantly a non-sedating antihistamine such as Allegra or Claritin is quite successful in preventing motion sickness. I've been taking Claritin for several years (for allergies) and have cruised DCL 17 times and have never had a problem. My DH on the other hand had a motion sickness problem several years ago. His Dr. gave him the ok to take Claritin when we cruise. He now does and has never had a problem since. I say give the Allegra a try.

Another vote for meclezine and it's WAY cheaper than Allegra, although depending on the strength, some Allegra is available generically now but still 10 times the cost of Meclezine.

We buy the chewable (so the kids can take it too) OTC Meclezine from our local pharmacy.

Because of the psychological effects and my OCD, my doc told me NOT to use the patch too.

I bought meclizine at Target for $2.89 for 32 tablets. Right next to the dramamine! :thumbsup2

Pediatricians often suggest Benadryl for children having seasickness issues, so Allegra doesn't surprise me.

But as with ANY over the counter or prescription drug, do NOT take them based on how they worked for others ... only use them according to your doctor's direction.

I had a friend tell me about a cruise he was on where a woman collapsed at the sail away party ... she had nearly no pulse and almost died because she used TWO patches and was on blood pressure meds. She'd gotten the patches from a friend and had not discussed it with her doctor. If she had he probably would've told her the patches can lower your blood pressure, basically enhancing what her prescription BP meds were doing.

NEVER medicate without a doctor's advice, regardless of how harmless it may seem.

I am so confused as to which med is better!?!?! My son suffers from motion sickness (thankfully, the rest of us do okay). He gets an upset tummy from riding in the car and even the ferry to MK makes him woozy (we now take the monorail only). Some posts say bonine, some say meclazine, some say ginger root. Dramamine knocks him out, so I am trying to find something for him to take that will both work and not make him sleepy. He is 10 and is really nervous about getting sick like he does in the car. Any suggestions?:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I would talk to your Pediatrician, my 10 year got sick on our earlier cruises he is now 10, she still tells me benadryl, I start a couple days before at night before he goes to bed and continue on the ship right before bed every night.We have been on several cruises and he has not gotten sick. Call or take your son into the pediatrician before your trip.. Good Luck

I am so confused as to which med is better!?!?! My son suffers from motion sickness (thankfully, the rest of us do okay). He gets an upset tummy from riding in the car and even the ferry to MK makes him woozy (we now take the monorail only). Some posts say bonine, some say meclazine, some say ginger root. Dramamine knocks him out, so I am trying to find something for him to take that will both work and not make him sleepy. He is 10 and is really nervous about getting sick like he does in the car. Any suggestions?:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Oh my. I know.....I am so confused! We leave for our cruise in 43 days and I am more worried than ever! I have been searching for MONTHS about this subject! This will be my DM first cruise. She gets very bad car sick. She takes regular dramamine when riding long distances and she is out like a light....(head back - mouth open -snoring:scared: )

Up until a few days ago I have made up my mind to get her bonine and Ginger caps. Now, on another thread tvguy mentioned that ginger could be very harmful...She will ask her DR and I have a Dr app. today to ask her what she thinks for our family.

I want my DM to have a blast on her first cruise. I do not want her sick but nor do we want her to be a "zombie" or sleeping all the time.

Anyway, have any of you tried Bonine and Meclezine at differnent times, which worked better?

Bonine is the brand name for generic meclizine. It is also known as Antivert.

So does the melcazine have and drowsy side effects? My dr. said that the antihistamine in all of the products is what helps with balance and your inner ear-- preventing sea sickenss. However, she said even no drowsy dramamine has a sedating antihistamine- thats shy she said allegra or claratin. What is melcazine?

We have always used Bonine and had no problem. DD11 gets very motion sick and takes chewable Dramamine. She has never had drowsiness issues with it, but when talking with her doctor he said the Bonine was fine for her too. He said OTC Alavert is also the same medicine. I think it is all basically the same, just whichever one works for you without making you drowsy is what you should take. It sounds to me like all antihistimines do the job:thumbsup2

jakenjacksmom I would talk to your Pediatrician, my 10 year got sick on our earlier cruises he is now 10, she still tells me benadryl, I start a couple days before at night before he goes to bed and continue on the ship right before bed every night.We have been on several cruises and he has not gotten sick. Call or take your son into the pediatrician before your trip.. Good Luck

For those of you who give your children either benadryl or Dramamine, do you give it to them just once a day at bedtime or do you give it to them more frequently?

I am very worried about my children. My daughter got sick on an overseas plane trip and I'd given her benadryl to help her sleep as recommend by my pediatrician. My son was just sick on our 7 hour drive home from WDW a few weeks ago- he gets motion/car sickness on occasion AND he takes Zyrtec (an antihistamine) every night!

Just returned from my DR. She gave me a pres. for Meclizine (which is also known as Antivert). Also, the patch (scopolamine). She said to try the patch first then if any side affects occur, then take it off and take the Meclizine. I have cruised twice before, first time I was fine. Second time, I was VERY sick the first night but I was also taking meds. for my back. THis time I just did not want to chance it.

As far as the kids (even the 14 yr old) the DR said to take non-sedating antihistamine with us on the trip. If they happen to get a little seasick then you will have it. My kids have cruised before with no seasickness but I think we all worry it will happen. We want them to have such a good time and seasick is no fun. From what I have read, adults get the majority of motionsickness.

So does the melcazine have and drowsy side effects? My dr. said that the antihistamine in all of the products is what helps with balance and your inner ear-- preventing sea sickenss. However, she said even no drowsy dramamine has a sedating antihistamine- thats shy she said allegra or claratin. What is melcazine?

The info sheet says possiable side affects are: drowsiness, dry mouth, and tiredness. Children may EXCITABILITY rather than drowsiness.

All I know is the first cruise I was on Allegra and so was my husband for the entire 7 days and we both got sick. (the waves were 16 feet from the outer bands of a hurricane. My DH has major health problems and was told to take
Meclizine. We both took them on the 10 days with no problems and NO side effects, And No motion sickness.

For those of you who give your children either benadryl or Dramamine, do you give it to them just once a day at bedtime or do you give it to them more frequently?

I am very worried about my children. My daughter got sick on an overseas plane trip and I'd given her benadryl to help her sleep as recommend by my pediatrician. My son was just sick on our 7 hour drive home from WDW a few weeks ago- he gets motion/car sickness on occasion AND he takes Zyrtec (an antihistamine) every night!

I give my DD11 a half of a chewable Dramamine every six hours during the day. I do not wake her during the night to give it to her. The doctor told me this time to start the night before with a dose. Half of a tablet does not make DD tired, but a whole one will make her sleep. DD gets sick when we get off the ship (I guess landsick :confused3 ) and I give her a whole one with breakfast so that she sleeps it off. I have debated on giving her the meclizine, but if the system is not broke I don't won't to fix it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter