SDMT making babies wait in line for rider switch

Weather in April vs weather in June/July (I don’t see it being ok for either). These are not indoor queues and it’s hard enough for the adults. I guess a lawsuit from fainting infants or worse will straighten out the creative monsters who are coming up with these stupid ideas.
I love to hear the argument from the parent who sues an amusement park because THEY chose to not properly care for their infant so they could get on a ride. That argument would probably wow the judge during a child protective services hearing.

If we weren't at the tail end of a pandemic, I might sympathize more with the "it's not consistent with posted policy" argument. However, if you take a baby to a theme park in one of the hottest months of the year, knowing full well that many policies are out of sorts due to Covid, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you. I have traveled MANY times with young children -- flexibility is key. It is completely on you as a parent to accommodate the needs of your children, and sometimes that means missing out on things you would like to do.

If we weren't at the tail end of a pandemic, I might sympathize more with the "it's not consistent with posted policy" argument. However, if you take a baby to a theme park in one of the hottest months of the year, knowing full well that many policies are out of sorts due to Covid, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you. I have traveled MANY times with young children -- flexibility is key. It is completely on you as a parent to accommodate the needs of your children, and sometimes that means missing out on things you would like to do.

Yes. I have multiple children in my life who come along to things like movies, sports, parades, zoos, and other events that require time and money to attend. Go in knowing they'll want to bail at some point and learn to live with that. It's just part of going places with kids.

Like, look: Should the policy be consistent? Yes.

Is that practical? Not really. These are recently re-employed workers in the middle of a pandemic working in dozens of rides in different parks.

Is it worth the apparent anguish the OP experienced? Certainly not. Not enough to ruin an entire vacation, apparently, and still root around somewhere in there gnawing away. And certainly not enough to purposely keep your screaming baby in the summer sun for.

It's not actually clear how long they waited, which might have been omitted on purpose.

They said the baby was upset after waiting "several minutes" in the sun. And also "Our calm baby turned into a screaming monster for an hour after waiting in the line in the hot sun." -- not necessarily that they waited an hour in the sun, but rather that the kid was upset for an hour afterward.
screaming monster for an hour after waiting in the line in the hot sun

I love to hear the argument from the parent who sues an amusement park because THEY chose to not properly care for their infant so they could get on a ride. That argument would probably wow the judge during a child protective services hearing.
Well if someone can sue McDonald’s because their coffee was too hot, maybe she can sue Disney because the temperature in June in Florida was too hot😉.

Well if someone can sue McDonald’s because their coffee was too hot, maybe she can sue Disney because the temperature in June in Florida was too hot😉.
McDonalds was guilty of making the coffee too hot so Mother Nature is the correct person to sue since she made the weather too hot that day. If you are going to sue someone you gotta make sure it is the right person you are suing to have a chance to win. Lol

Mine Train isn’t worth that long of a wait no matter what the time of year or who is in your party.

We are local so our experience is different than most, but our park visits changed greatly after having a baby. Now that he’s a toddler, we can’t do any sort of lines with him. He’s too impatient and doesn’t want to be held for a long time. When we go with family and they want to go on a ride, I either wait outside with him doing something else or we all take turns carrying him so he doesn’t get bored.

The McDonald's case has been misrepresented making McDonald's and not Liebeck look like the victim. Google it. McDonalds original offer was $800 against projected out of pocket costs of $20,000. People have been misrepresenting this case for years.
edited to offer a link
https://www.findlaw.com/injury/prod...p-case-separating-mcfacts-from-mcfiction.html
The OP was complaining about Disney not following posted policy. The OP wasn't directly complaining about the temperature in FL. 🥵

I see both sides. The OP has a point. I don't see the need to categorize her as entitled.

Last edited:
I think there has been some Rider Swap abuse during the pandemic, as some may have been using it as a way to get in the FP lanes while they are still closed to the general public, hence the change in how it works without actually changing how it’s worded online.

The only way this would work with the extended queue (which is what is causing the issues here) is if the cm at the end of the line was able to also grant parent swap. I doubt they have the extra tools or trained CMs to cover this. Thus why it's done at the tap styles which have people there already for other uses for the fp+ line.

Like many have said, sometimes things are not worth the hassle. Making a child uncomfortable is not worth any ride.

I think the Disney website explanation of the program is poorly written. As someone who never used it I just went and read it now and totally would have assumed that the switch happens when you get to the end of the line and not at the beginning. There’s a sentence there about when the first rider returns the second adult can ride “without having to wait in the regular line again” which I would have assumed meant that they waited in line with their group the first time.

That said, if that’s the way it worked in the past I am sympathetic to anyone expecting it again and finding something different.

However, at the end of the day I think we all have the personable responsibility to adapt when things don’t go our way and I truly hope the op can do so and enjoy the rest of their trip.

I think the Disney website explanation of the program is poorly written. As someone who never used it I just went and read it now and totally would have assumed that the switch happens when you get to the end of the line and not at the beginning. There’s a sentence there about when the first rider returns the second adult can ride “without having to wait in the regular line again” which I would have assumed meant that they waited in line with their group the first time.

That said, if that’s the way it worked in the past I am sympathetic to anyone expecting it again and finding something different.

However, at the end of the day I think we all have the personable responsibility to adapt when things don’t go our way and I truly hope the op can do so and enjoy the rest of their trip.
The words they use say regular line not the extended queue. Which is easy to leave one person in and meet up again when you get close to entering the "regular" line.

The McDonald's case has been misrepresented making McDonald's and not Liebeck look like the victim. Google it. McDonalds original offer was $800 against projected out of pocket costs of $20,000. People have been misrepresenting this case for years.
edited to offer a link
https://www.findlaw.com/injury/prod...p-case-separating-mcfacts-from-mcfiction.html
The OP was complaining about Disney not following posted policy. The OP wasn't directly complaining about the temperature in FL. 🥵

I see both sides. The OP has a point. I don't see the need to categorize her as entitled.
So many do not know the whole story, very sad case.

I never took the OP to be a troll, just someone venting. That said, if your baby is hot and screaming in the summer weather, it's probably best to make a sacrifice and just go do something else and let the rest of your party ride.
It’s almost like letting the baby scream to prove the point ‘look at us and how miserable your rider swap made us’.

A better choice would’ve been to attend the baby’s needs and then go to Guest Services and speak to them about options and experience.

McDonalds was guilty of making the coffee too hot so Mother Nature is the correct person to sue since she made the weather too hot that day. If you are going to sue someone you gotta make sure it is the right person you are suing to have a chance to win. Lol
Better yet just sue the 7 Dwarfs. They discovered a mine where a million diamonds shine, so they must be loaded.

Disney's website describes rider swap exactly how the OP remembers from past trips.

A person isn't entitled for thinking a business should be following posted policy.

I agree some of the posts were dramatic.

Current situation may dictate some modification to policy. Is it asking too much to expect appropriate change in the website. Yes we have fine print.
That’s the biggest thing. Doing your research to attend a Disney park is always what everyone on these boars preaches. So, OP did that & it changes mid trip. I travel with 1 DS & am completely prepared to make sacrifices that means we don’t ride/do things if DS isn’t feeling it. But, OP, and many ppl travel with multiple children & that sucks for the other child(ren) to have to make sacrifices b/c wdw made changes to their policy that really benefits no one. That’s not entitled.

Thank you for posting that. Seriously one of my biggest pet peeves when people buy into the intentional misrepresentation of that case. A woman was so badly maimed she needed skin grafts, it's disgusting that people make light of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter