SDMT making babies wait in line for rider switch

Disturbia

Happily Ever After
This is insulting. Or is everyone ok with this? Our calm baby turned into a screaming monster for an hour after waiting in the line in the hot sun.

I was previously told by Disney Cast members that they could not possibly allow a child who doesn’t meet height requirements to get in line. Why make it more miserable for the waiting parent and infant?

they did this on our late april trip and it was annoying. We had a toddler in a stroller and they made us all wait in line. It didnt work to well. I just took our other child on pooh and the teacups and met up at the switch point. We purposely waited in line for this ride during the nap time so it was easy to have a sleeping child. Once you get to the main line area thats where they issue the rider switch. We found it annoying but had work around for all those areas. Slinky dog was similar as well. Actually thinking about it, splash did this as well.

Wow! Disney is pushing itself and seeing what they can get away with

if they want to be like universal then offer a TV room/entertainment or a fast pass for a low wait ride like Winnie the Pooh or small world for spending time In that miserable hot queue.

This was not how they did things in November. Slinky Dog didn’t make us do this yesterday

Weather in April vs weather in June/July (I don’t see it being ok for either). These are not indoor queues and it’s hard enough for the adults. I guess a lawsuit from fainting infants or worse will straighten out the creative monsters who are coming up with these stupid ideas.

No reason. Just commands to go stand. I’m still pissed at 2 am. We are so exhausted I’m skipping AK morning and will let my husband go with our preteen.

The Cast Member who told us to go stand seemed like such a nice guy otherwise, well trained and never lost his cool (my husband got mad but didn’t say much or know how to respond). We were dumbfounded and shocked. When he did give us a rider switch we were silent, our baby was screaming and It was just so sad we didn’t even speak or say thank you which we always do.

we are realizing more and more that we are not welcome in the parks. Maybe Disney is targeting teenagers (Universal Studios crowd). I’m just thankful we didn’t buy into DVC or some other commitment like annual pass

No reason. Just commands to go stand. I’m still pissed at 2 am. We are so exhausted I’m skipping AK morning and will let my husband go with our preteen.

The Cast Member who told us to go stand seemed like such a nice guy otherwise, well trained and never lost his cool (my husband got mad but didn’t say much or know how to respond). We were dumbfounded and shocked. When he did give us a rider switch we were silent, our baby was screaming and It was just so sad we didn’t even speak or say thank you which we always do.

we are realizing more and more that we are not welcome in the parks. Maybe Disney is targeting teenagers (Universal Studios crowd). I’m just thankful we didn’t buy into DVC or some other commitment like annual pass
I have felt like that lately too with DS 3. Seems they’re targeting the festival-going adult more IMO. Since I only have DS we don’t use rider swap b/c what just ride what he can/will ride. But we are not the usual guest with this. Why in the world would you want more ppl standing in line than is necessary??

That is the way it used to work. The family had a choice. The family waited in line up to the rider swap. or One adult would stay with the non rider and do something else. After the first adult rode they would switch. The other adult would get in line and the first adult would do something else with the non rider.

I understand the logic of either system. Why should one adult get to skip the line? No need for the swap if one adult and non rider is going to be doing something else.

I also understand your point.

Disney needs to be clear as to what the policy is and be consistent.

That is the way it used to work. The family had a choice. The family waited in line up to the rider swap. or One adult would stay with the non rider and do something else. After the first adult rode they would switch. The other adult would get in line and the first adult would do something else with the non rider.

I understand the logic of either system. Why should one adult get to skip the line? No need for the swap if one adult and non rider is going to be doing something else.

I also understand your point.

Disney needs to be clear as to what the policy is and be consistent.
If Disney didn’t want the second adult to skip a line, they could have offered a play area like Universal and allow the younger kids to get in all lines and have interactive elements to entertain. It’s not just about consistency.

Ride wait times are grossly inflated on popular rides so rider switch keeps you stuck in the area for 40+ minutes extra (look at Pandora). I don’t see how there is any skipping benefits when all waits are over 60; in the heat most kids are passed out in the stroller, so you can’t just go on another ride. People with young kids leave mid day and early and are more inclined to spend money (food/clothes) vs ride like ninjas.

They are deliberately making it uncomfortable for parents and infants , which is really disappointing. They knew we were coming with an infant and there is no communication on the Ride Swap change so we could cancel our trip. It amounts to bait and switch. They are already offering us less with no cost reduction and taking this benefit (rider switch) away is really a low blow.

in any case I’m glad my younger kids are not going to be Disney fans. My 4 year old cried and asked why we are not going back to the airport on our first day. Unfortunately it’s a 7 night trip and we pay a lot of money for dining (Topolinos thrice, Be our Guest twice, Tiffins, Oga’s etc), our 12 year old has been paying adult meal prices for 3 years. We also dropped $100 in the first 40 minutes at Epcot.

These kids will grow to be teens but more ‘Universally’ inclined I suppose (we have never been to Universal in FL). We met another person on the bus who was visiting for the first time with her kids and she had the same experience and disappointment.

I guess short sightedness is going to kill Disney. They are loosing Goodwill by the second. Disney is going to mean something very different for the next generation of teens and their Disney memories are becoming nightmares. I guess Disney will create a horror night and can bank on that next.

idea for future: parents have to stand upside down for 2 minutes without falling and do 2 cartwheels to get in any line. It’s only fair as teenagers can do that.

Yes it is hard, but we go every year and sometimes twice a year. I’ve gone when pregnant and breastfeeding and still enjoyed rides with our now 4 year old.

Also, we went in November (AK-kidani villa) as well and when capacity was limited it was actually not a bad trip. The problem is the capacity has increased, lines are longer and Disney has still not opened up meet and greets or fireworks; they can easily do some outdoor meet/greets to spread out crowds.

Last edited:
I think with the summer heat its unbearable. Masks and the heat in April were bad enough for me, I dont think I would survive without passing out with summer heat. That makes it even more unbearable.

I do agree Disney is changing the target. We skipped all table service due to the waits and lack of characters. we had fun but we have family at the parks now and its night and day different crowd wise than when we went. Its almost at double crowd wise and line wise than april. I think I should have gone when my brother did in January, they went to the parks from 10-5 and were done since everything was a walk on and it was dead, that was the time to go. Its funny though as my brother thought the parks were lacking and it showed how little to do at epcot and DHS for them. He said you can do everything in both of those parks in 1 day and still have half a day. I think they have to be careful if they still want people to come back.

Wait so Im clear here, they are changing rider swap and forcing both riders to wait in line with the infant until its their turn?

Yes, but only until where you would scan fast passes (ride entrance). We are on flight of passage (55 min wait) and it was the same deal, but not bad at all and barely took 2-3 minutes. The queue is mostly indoors and there is AC/fans/shade, water fountains and restrooms.

I think the rider swap is active immediately, which I didn’t realize and with inflated waits, that’s a benefit

This is how it was for decades and it was still that way when our kids were little, everyone went through the line and they did the rider swap right there. That way the second adult rode right after the first. Somehow we all survived this system or made the adult decision to skip certain rides. As for "waiting in line for an hour in the sun", how is that any different then waiting in any other line while you are there? We all have a choice on whether or not to get into a specific line knowing the wait times. Unpopular opinion forthcoming... you will not be able to do everything with a small child that you were able to do before. Sometimes you will have to skip things if it is not in the child's best interest. If waiting in line with a baby is too much, then either do not take the baby, or skip that ride. What part of this is your responsibility? Obviously there are some of you out there that think Disney should cater to your every whim and needs, but come on, sometimes you have to use some common sense.

This is how it was for decades and it was still that way when our kids were little, everyone went through the line and they did the rider swap right there. That way the second adult rode right after the first. Somehow we all survived this system or made the adult decision to skip certain rides. As for "waiting in line for an hour in the sun", how is that any different then waiting in any other line while you are there? We all have a choice on whether or not to get into a specific line knowing the wait times. Unpopular opinion forthcoming... you will not be able to do everything with a small child that you were able to do before. Sometimes you will have to skip things if it is not in the child's best interest. If waiting in line with a baby is too much, then either do not take the baby, or skip that ride. What part of this is your responsibility? Obviously there are some of you out there that think Disney should cater to your every whim and needs, but come on, sometimes you have to use some common sense.

Well said. No one MADE OP stand in a long line in sun with a baby. It was a choice. I would have made a different choice, personally, and did many times over the years with my kids.

If Disney didn’t want the second adult to skip a line, they could have offered a play area like Universal and allow the younger kids to get in all lines and have interactive elements to entertain. It’s not just about consistency.

Ride wait times are grossly inflated on popular rides so rider switch keeps you stuck in the area for 40+ minutes extra (look at Pandora). I don’t see how there is any skipping benefits when all waits are over 60; in the heat most kids are passed out in the stroller, so you can’t just go on another ride. People with young kids leave mid day and early and are more inclined to spend money (food/clothes) vs ride like ninjas.

They are deliberately making it uncomfortable for parents and infants , which is really disappointing. They knew we were coming with an infant and there is no communication on the Ride Swap change so we could cancel our trip. It amounts to bait and switch. They are already offering us less with no cost reduction and taking this benefit (rider switch) away is really a low blow.

in any case I’m glad my younger kids are not going to be Disney fans. My 4 year old cried and asked why we are not going back to the airport on our first day. Unfortunately it’s a 7 night trip and we pay a lot of money for dining (Topolinos thrice, Be our Guest twice, Tiffins, Oga’s etc), our 12 year old has been paying adult meal prices for 3 years. We also dropped $100 in the first 40 minutes at Epcot.

These kids will grow to be teens but more ‘Universally’ inclined I suppose (we have never been to Universal in FL). We met another person on the bus who was visiting for the first time with her kids and she had the same experience and disappointment.

I guess short sightedness is going to kill Disney. They are loosing Goodwill by the second. Disney is going to mean something very different for the next generation of teens and their Disney memories are becoming nightmares. I guess Disney will create a horror night and can bank on that next.

idea for future: parents have to stand upside down for 2 minutes without falling and do 2 cartwheels to get in any line. It’s only fair as teenagers can do that.

All I am seeing is the new generation of parents that have unreasonable expectations and demands. Maybe going to WDW was not something your family could handle at this time of your lives. Nothing wrong with that. But for the few people that feel like you, there are hundreds of thousands that do not. We raised our kids going to WDW and always had a fabulous time. It is what you make of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter