Scooter Tips?

puente0629

DIS Veteran
Hello,

For the first time ever I'm going to be renting a scooter for our week long stay at Disney. I've never used one and wanted to know if you guys had any tips or tricks? I'm very nervous about running someone over or getting sassed at for being in a scooter in the first place. I'm relatively young and my condition is not visible, I will also will be requesting a DAS pass which has nothing to do with my mobility, I think the combo might send someone over the edge lol. I've heard horror stories recently on some Disney FB pages. Any advice, experiences or reassurance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

If you keep your speed slow [think Turtle] and pay attention to your surroundings you are unlike to run someone over. Guests who are not paying attention may run into you, but IME they usually bump into your side as opposed to straight in front of you [probably because there is more "side" to run into just space-wise]. If they complain, just point out they ran into you.

If you are traveling with others, one thing I found helpful was for the person I am traveling with to help create a bit of a buffer. My sister walks in front of me - a bit to the side as we learned if she walks directly in front I WILL occasionally run into the back of her ankles -- after twice of that we decided that is she is just off to the side her having to make a rapid stop lets me make a rapid stop with no fear of ankle biting. But her there is a bit of a buffer because people not really paying attention will still see a walking human in their path when they won't see a scooter in their path. If they stop great, if they deflect and continue one way they cross in front of us both with enough time for me to stop [because I am going slow like a turtle] and if they deflect the other way they run into the side of the scooter which is clearly their fault if they try to complain. Usually they stop though, so there is no colliding.

As for worrying what others think, ignore them. One, most people aren't worrying about you, they are too busy trying to figure out how to get from point A and point B and which ride to go on next, and for the rare few who might care, don't worry about it. None of their business and it is best to ignore them and let them stew in their ignorance.

Assuming you are renting the scooter, once you've picked it up at your resort, I highly suggest riding it around your resort a bit - if possible at first where there are not a lot of people/barriers, though that isn't always possible - to get used to driving it. Move it around, back it up, go around things, etc. Stop suddenly. Go slow, go faster, see how long it takes to stop at different speeds [make sure you do this safely - remember that people can dart out so doing the highest speed is pretty much never safe at WDW].

SW

I used a scooter for the first time during our February trip. I was nervous as well, but it ended up being very easy to manage. I'd also recommend trying to use it some before you go to the park just to get comfortable with it, but honestly, they are very easy to drive and maneuver. I also second Starwind's suggestion to have someone in your party walk in front of you to help make a buffer for you to avoid hitting anyone or anyone running into you. My most frequent problem was someone just cutting across in front of me because they didn't see me. Although I had some quick stops and got startled a few times, I managed not to hit anyone.

I did have one person make a comment about my use of the scooter (I didn't hear it but my husband did). My issue is also not readily visible and I appear healthy. I let it really get to me for awhile (less about the person and more about the idea that I was using it to my advantage somehow, when I would trade anything to be rid of the condition that is forcing me to use one), but eventually I did realize that the problem is theirs and not mine and that I just needed to ignore it. People can be jerks and sadly that's just life. But for the most part it went really well and the scooter allowed me to enjoy a trip I couldn't have managed without it. So enjoy and try not to worry too much. Disney makes it so easy to use mobiity devices.

There's no advantage to using a scooter when it comes to "being first in line" except maybe the bus. I've never had someone be rude to me directly - not much you can do but ignore them and move on! I hope @mamabunny will stop in with her list of tips and good advice. I also agree with those that suggest driving your scooter around the resort awhile before you go anywhere else. Practice backing up, going in and out of elevators, parallel parking.....because you need to be able to parallel park to get into the space on the bus. The driver will help you so don't get stressed about it if that seems too hard! I've not hit anyone and I don't usually walk with anyone being a buffer necessarily. Just don't try to be on your phone and drive the scooter at the same time. I can easily drink something with a straw and drive (I tend to drive with one hand because I switch off since the other one will "fall asleep" due to carpal tunnel at times). When I drive the scooter though I'm very focused on what I'm doing - if I want to enjoy my surroundings I park somewhere off to the side and hang out a bit.

Think of it as driving a car. Always be hyper-viligent for people/kids cutting in front of you, stopping in front of you without warning, maintain as much a distance as possible from others, the speed limit is turtle-which is often slower than walkers but you’re driving through a neighborhood, and don’t multitask. And don’t give two hoots what anyone else might be thinking about you using an ecv.

I used a scooter for the first time during our February trip. I was nervous as well, but it ended up being very easy to manage. I'd also recommend trying to use it some before you go to the park just to get comfortable with it, but honestly, they are very easy to drive and maneuver. I also second Starwind's suggestion to have someone in your party walk in front of you to help make a buffer for you to avoid hitting anyone or anyone running into you. My most frequent problem was someone just cutting across in front of me because they didn't see me. Although I had some quick stops and got startled a few times, I managed not to hit anyone.

I did have one person make a comment about my use of the scooter (I didn't hear it but my husband did). My issue is also not readily visible and I appear healthy. I let it really get to me for awhile (less about the person and more about the idea that I was using it to my advantage somehow, when I would trade anything to be rid of the condition that is forcing me to use one), but eventually I did realize that the problem is theirs and not mine and that I just needed to ignore it. People can be jerks and sadly that's just life. But for the most part it went really well and the scooter allowed me to enjoy a trip I couldn't have managed without it. So enjoy and try not to worry too much. Disney makes it so easy to use mobiity devices.
Ill definitely practice at our resort and try to get as comfortable with it as possible. I really had some rough nights crying over this but i know it for the best. I was really hoping to walk with my toddler and enjoy the magic but it won’t be if I’m fainting and getting dizzy.
Thank you for your response, makes me feel better about it.

Ill definitely practice at our resort and try to get as comfortable with it as possible. I really had some rough nights crying over this but i know it for the best. I was really hoping to walk with my toddler and enjoy the magic but it won’t be if I’m fainting and getting dizzy.

One thing I will do if I am having a good day is park the scooter and do a bit of walking. eg near the peoplemover there is a nice sheltered ECV/wheelchair parking area right at the base of the peoplemover. I will park it there and do the peoplemover, but I may then also walk a bit around in the area, maybe walk to and do one of the other attractions. Then back to the ECV and on to the next area or attraction. Or I will park near Jungle Cruise and do it and Tiki room. The nice thing is I can adjust as I need to, so if I need to use the ECV the whole time, I do, but if I can park and walk some, I do that too. If that is an option for you, something to think about -- you may be able to build in some of the walk and enjoy the magic you had been looking forward to with some creativity.

Something else I will do is the same when visiting some resorts. For example, Animal Kingdom Lodge has some pretty amazing animal viewing areas and it is easy to park the ECV nearby and then get up and walk and view, within a smallish area [so the scooter is nearby if needed]. You could have some pretty magic moments with your kiddo especially if they are into animals. Or watching the geyser go off at Wilderness Lodge and exploring the WL lobby and grounds. We really like doing a "monorail resorts hop" visiting each of the resorts on the resort monorail line, plus WL (by bus or boat) and exploring their grounds and lobbies and sometimes grabbing a bite to eat. I've done it both with and without the ECV depending on how I am feeling.

SW

The previous posters have supplied great tips. No one mentioned all scooters look alike and it easy to head to the wrong scooter. I’ve heard some scooter companies use the same key, so just because it starts doesn’t mean it’s yours. To combat this, tie a big bow on the handle bars. I used a strip of orange fabric. It will help you find your scooter and others will see the bow and not take it. It’s like putting something on your luggage so it is easy to identify at the baggage claim.

Rent from a company, such as Gold Mobility that will provide a refund if you find you are not comfortable with a scooter.

Also, whatever company you rent from, make sure that they include theft and damage waiver with $0 deductible in the price and find out what their policy is if you break down in the middle of the park. This is less likely with Gold Mobility since they replace their equipment every 6 months. Also check if there are hours of the day they won't help you if you break down in a park or such.

Again, I highly recommend Gold Mobility, they also include a lot of little extras that really help, such as fan, undercarriage lighting, cup holder, cell phone holder, captains chair (on victory model), etc. at no extra cost.

They meet you on your schedule, not at prearranged times and you don't have to wait in line up to 60 minutes (yes it took us that long once to drop off our luggage since our room wasn't ready yet, we were glad we didn't need to pickup a scooter from bell services) at bell services like you would with ScooterBug.

Hello,

For the first time ever I'm going to be renting a scooter for our week long stay at Disney. I've never used one and wanted to know if you guys had any tips or tricks? I'm very nervous about running someone over or getting sassed at for being in a scooter in the first place. I'm relatively young and my condition is not visible, I will also will be requesting a DAS pass which has nothing to do with my mobility, I think the combo might send someone over the edge lol. I've heard horror stories recently on some Disney FB pages. Any advice, experiences or reassurance would be much appreciated! Thank you!

LOL blame my friend @Selket up there - they forgot that, like Beetlejuice, if you say my name, I'm gonna show up...

and so now it is time for... (because all of the regulars here *know* what is coming next...) my patent pending version of:

How To ECV at Disney World ™

Yep, It's time to talk about using ECVs at WDW; this is a (hopefully) helpful guide for newbies. 🙂

Mostly it's all about the buses (and boats, and Monorail and Skyliners too, for that matter.)

But first things first - Repeat after me - Every night, I will plug in my ECV, and charge it completely overnight in my hotel room.

Do that, and you should not have to worry about your battery at all the next day. Fail to do that, and you will have a miserable day, constantly searching for outlets (many are covered, or are inaccessible without tools) to try and charge your scooter. Every night, charge it all night, until it is fully charged.

There's plenty of room in every Disney Resort hotel room to charge *2* scooters - If you need furniture moved or removed to accommodate the ECV, pick up your room phone, and use the button labeled "Housekeeping". The person answering the phone will help set up either the removal or placement of furniture for you.

When it comes to Resort hotel room doors, ask someone in your travel party if they can hold the Resort Hotel room door open while the you move the ECV through. A great door stop (I personally recommend this one from Amazon) is also a very helpful tool! While out and about at WDW, look for the handicapped door buttons on many doors (at lobby entrances, shops, dining, etc.) for the automatic openers. Some are round, others are square, most all of them are a silver metal, but they all have the HA ♿ symbol on the button itself, and will be located very near the door.

One more note: When we talk about using the "brakes" on an ECV, what we really mean is letting go of the throttle. The vast majority of ECVs in the US don't have an actual braking system (like a car or truck has) and rely strictly on the driver of the ECV to be aware, and to let go of the throttle when they need to stop. Additionally, most ECVs that you will encounter have a speed control that goes from slowest to fastest, with a small icon of a turtle for slowest, and a rabbit for fastest. We often talk about "turtle speed" here, and that means turning your speed control all the way down to the slowest setting for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Let's get on the bus!

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be staring at us, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver. 🙂

And some of them are just flat out exhausted, and staring off into space, unaware that they are looking at anything at all!

So, ignore them - and at the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle HA symbol ♿ at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus, or shake my head "no" so that they know I am waiting for a different bus. Some Disney Resorts have queues or rope lines set up for the buses; others just kind of form loose lines. Often in the mornings, there will be a CM at the main Resort bus stops; just as at the Parks, take your guidance from them. (Special note for Resorts with more than 1 bus stop: Try to make your way to the *first* stop at the Resort; as the bus travels through the Resort to pick up other Guests, the chances increase exponentially that there will not be a space for your ECV when the bus arrives, leading to longer wait times.)

Once the bus stops, and everyone is off, the driver will typically close the doors, kneel the bus, and then open the back doors and flip out the ramp. Wait for the driver to motion you on, and then up the ramp you will go.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help and guidance that they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine! Disney bus drivers help *thousands* of people load and unload ECVs, so you are not a surprise to them in any way!

When you are at the base of the ramp, try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. (This is a moment where "turtle speed" is your new best friend!) Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to bump into the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will hear stories about drivers that "park the ECV for you", but that is considered "pixie dust" and is not expected behavior.

Once you are parked, you can take a seat on the bus, if you want to. The bus driver will "tie down" the ECV, by clipping on the tensioned belts down at the wheel level, front and back. If you decide to sit on the ECV during transit, the driver will also offer you a seat belt to help hold you securely in place as the bus moves through traffic.

With buses, you will typically board first, and disembark last. Ignore anyone who says anything about how "it must be nice to get on the bus first"; if you really feel the need to reply, just give them your biggest smile, and a big 'ol southern "Oh, bless your heart!". That's all they deserve. 😉

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

While you are boarding the bus, the rest of your group will wait outside the bus, next to the ramp. Once the ECV is parked on the bus, the driver will indicate to your party when they can walk up the ramp to join you, and they should be able to sit near/next to you.

When it's time to disembark from the bus, the rest of your party can get off the bus with all of the other passengers, and they will wait for you outside the bus (or wherever you have agreed upon). Again, the driver will assist you in getting the ECV positioned to drive down the ramp, and out of the bus; listen to their instructions, and you should be fine. 🙂 When driving off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are completely on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want the rear wheels to catch the edge of the ramp if you turn too early, and tip you over!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

As far as boats go, *most* boats at WDW are quite accessible; the notable exceptions are some of the small launches that serve Poly/GF to MK and back, and a small launch that runs every other trip on the WL/MK route. At WL, the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board/disembark to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on. All other boats will have a portable ramp that a CM (Cast Member) will place for you, including the Sassagoula fleet (Currently not in service) that serves parts of Saratoga & The Treehouses/OKW/POR & POFQ, and the Disney Springs Water Taxis (which are the same type of boat.) The Friendships that ply the waters between Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at EPCOT use the exact same ramp as well. The ramps are *noisy* when driving on and off, but quite safe, I promise! The main thing to watch for here is using "turtle speed" coming *off* the boat - if there is no fencing around the dock, you don't want to make a BIG "splash" in more ways than one!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Monorails use the same portable ramp for loading/unloading as the boats use, and the worst part is some of the pedestrian ramps going *up* to the Monorail stations may really tax the battery on the ECV. A CM will place the portable ramp into the Monorail for you - just follow their instructions. Most of the time, you will have to back off down the ramp at the next station. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, (CMs are used to doing this, and will be glad to help you) and take your time for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Skyliners are VERY accessible, and the gondola cabins are a direct drive on, no ramp needed. CMs will "chock" the ECV wheels to prevent it from rolling across the cabin while in flight. The user simply rolls straight in and sits between the benches. Follow the signs and CM directions at each Skyliner station to go to the HA loading area - they fully stop the gondolas to load there, and you can take all the time you need for both loading and unloading. The exception is Riviera - they cannot stop the Skyliner there, and so loading/unloading is only done while moving (and so mobility devices are not loaded there). Only 1 ECV (or personal mobility device of any kind) per Skyliner Cabin, so be prepared to split up here if you have a larger party, or more than one mobility device in your group; just make plans for where everyone will meet!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed on the throttle control, and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety. They are all experienced in helping Guests with their mobility devices.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Once you are in the Parks, don't worry if y'all park the ECV, and you come out of a ride, attraction or meal to find it "missing". This is probably the the most startling thing that will happen during your trip!

Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for it to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. You can even pop a favorite Disney T-shirt over the back of the seat! That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green and pink striped ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

In all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had *one* scooter that was literally taken by accident because it was identical to the scooter that person had rented. (for rentals, the keys are all the same so the rental company doesn't have to keep track of one particular set of keys - they can hand over any key for any scooter). It all got sorted in the end, and everything was OK. But seriously, at WDW, in the Parks, you don't have to worry.

Nowadays, most vendors will put a "license plate" with your last name in a plastic cover that is usually on the back of the ECV seat, or the front of the basket, but those all start to look the same after a long day, so... ribbons, bandanas and/or t-shirts!

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake that keeps the ECV from rolling when parked, to move it if need be.

It should go without saying that you never leave anything in the basket, or on the scooter that you want to keep, otherwise, it could "grow legs" and disappear...

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few more tips:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic. You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it. Domestic airlines fly mobility devices for free, and the airline will be happy to help you with it at the gate; just allow a bit more time; just like at Disney you will usually be first one, but last off as you wait for your device to come up from the gate-check hold.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift). Remember that you now have to stop and collect your own luggage before proceeding to the Magical Express.

- You can always practice your ECV driving and parking skills at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. and it can help. It's a great way to practice for the inevitable moment when someone *will* walk right out in front of you while you are driving at WDW! (Pandemic disclaimer: Please follow all local & store requirements regarding masks). These kind of shopping cart/ECV hybrids tend to move very slowly, like the Disney Parks rental units. Most "outside" rental vendors in Orlando rent standard scooters that anyone can buy, and that have a vastly better (and faster) speed control system.

- Grab a towel from the hotel to cover the seat bottom - black vinyl or fabric can get very hot in the Florida sun! Some models have seat backs that fold down to help protect the seat bottom, but a simple bath towel works as well. Some folks cover their rental seats with a Disney shirt or beach towel for fun!

- If you are worried about rain, most vendors provide a clear plastic shower cap to cover the controls; you can throw a poncho over the seat (especially when you are not riding) to help keep it dry. I often ride with the front of the poncho OVER the tiller/controls, and the back of the poncho OVER my seat back to help keep everything as dry as possible! Looks weird, but who cares? You're at Disney World! Yay!

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider. One seat, one butt.

- Don't allow the scooter to become your group's personal pack mule. It's a medical mobility device, meant to carry a person, not everyone's bags, coats and "stuff". A lot of people see the basket on the front, and start loading it up! For the comfort and safety of the rider, try to make sure that they are not overburdened. This is especially true at bag check - ECVs still have to go through security lines, and the person on the ECV is responsible for everything on the ECV, or in it's basket/compartment/bag at security.

- Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV - people at WDW tend to be doing everything but paying attention to others when they are walking, and many of us here have had folks run right into us, or walk right in front of us as we are moving!

Bipeds don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a tiny bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is fast on letting go of the throttle. To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics.

Personally, I have my family create a "bubble" around me to help with this issue. Some walk just ahead of me, and someone will typically (when possible) walk on my left side. I try to stay to the right side of walkways, "streets" and sidewalks and that means I still have to watch for people popping out on the right side, but hopefully helps cover the left.

- Ideally take some time to practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL). Everyone is eager to get to the theme parks, but 15 minutes of practice (going through the shops, the Quick Service, dealing with different types of surfaces, doors, ramps and obstacles) will make you feel much more confident, and more "in-tune" with your rental.

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you may want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them at a slight angle at the base.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed (turtle speed is recommended for best control), and make sure you can brake effectively. This is a time for two hands on the wheel!

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps answers any questions y'all may have!

Let us know if you have any more questions about ECV use at WDW!

🙂

*Feel free to share with any interested members of your travel party!

Came back real quick to say this: You are not the first to cry about using a scooter. I *ugly cried* in the middle of EPCOT the first time I had to use one! But a weird thing happened - the world did *not* end (you can tell, because we are... here LOL) *and* in fact, I was able to go on and have the best Disney vacation I could have ever imagined! I wasn't exhausted from trying to walk, and I didn't spend all my time constantly searching ahead for a place to sit and rest "just for a moment". I was able to actually enjoy my time, because I felt better.

I know you wanted to walk with your toddler - believe me, I understand that desire. My toddler is all grown up now (she got engaged at MK on Christmas Eve! 😍 ) but because of her medical issues, she and I never got to have that moment either. It's OK though, because now we take regular mother-daughter "girls only" trips and I promise you, those memories are every bit as sweet and precious. Your little one most likely won't remember this trip to WDW (they will see the pictures later, obvi, but may not retain actual memories) and that's OK; they will likely spend a lot of time in the stroller anyway; WDW is a *big* place for a tiny humans!

The really interesting thing for you is that you will have a fairly close approximation of the view that your child does from the stroller - you will both be at about the same level - and so whenever possible, you can still travel side-by-side and talk about things, you will just do it a little bit differently is all.

"Normal" is a setting on the washing machine, and nothing more. Don't get hung up on a concept of what your trip "should" be - just be happy, and love your family, and laugh and find all the joy you can, and you will have a fantastic trip!

One thing I will do if I am having a good day is park the scooter and do a bit of walking. eg near the peoplemover there is a nice sheltered ECV/wheelchair parking area right at the base of the peoplemover. I will park it there and do the peoplemover, but I may then also walk a bit around in the area, maybe walk to and do one of the other attractions. Then back to the ECV and on to the next area or attraction. Or I will park near Jungle Cruise and do it and Tiki room. The nice thing is I can adjust as I need to, so if I need to use the ECV the whole time, I do, but if I can park and walk some, I do that too. If that is an option for you, something to think about -- you may be able to build in some of the walk and enjoy the magic you had been looking forward to with some creativity.

Something else I will do is the same when visiting some resorts. For example, Animal Kingdom Lodge has some pretty amazing animal viewing areas and it is easy to park the ECV nearby and then get up and walk and view, within a smallish area [so the scooter is nearby if needed]. You could have some pretty magic moments with your kiddo especially if they are into animals. Or watching the geyser go off at Wilderness Lodge and exploring the WL lobby and grounds. We really like doing a "monorail resorts hop" visiting each of the resorts on the resort monorail line, plus WL (by bus or boat) and exploring their grounds and lobbies and sometimes grabbing a bite to eat. I've done it both with and without the ECV depending on how I am feeling.

SW

Thanks for mentioning this about parking it in designated spots and walking around some. I was always worried that I shouldn't leave it parked somewhere (other than maybe outside a ride entrance that required it) even though I felt I could walk for some short distances. I will definitely try that some in the areas you mention. It would be nice to be able to leave it behind for short periods and distances. Sitting in it all day also came with some difficulties and it was nice to be able to get up and walk some when I felt up to it.

Came back real quick to say this: You are not the first to cry about using a scooter. I *ugly cried* in the middle of EPCOT the first time I had to use one! But a weird thing happened - the world did *not* end (you can tell, because we are... here LOL) *and* in fact, I was able to go on and have the best Disney vacation I could have ever imagined! I wasn't exhausted from trying to walk, and I didn't spend all my time constantly searching ahead for a place to sit and rest "just for a moment". I was able to actually enjoy my time, because I felt better.

I know you wanted to walk with your toddler - believe me, I understand that desire. My toddler is all grown up now (she got engaged at MK on Christmas Eve! 😍 ) but because of her medical issues, she and I never got to have that moment either. It's OK though, because now we take regular mother-daughter "girls only" trips and I promise you, those memories are every bit as sweet and precious. Your little one most likely won't remember this trip to WDW (they will see the pictures later, obvi, but may not retain actual memories) and that's OK; they will likely spend a lot of time in the stroller anyway; WDW is a *big* place for a tiny humans!

The really interesting thing for you is that you will have a fairly close approximation of the view that your child does from the stroller - you will both be at about the same level - and so whenever possible, you can still travel side-by-side and talk about things, you will just do it a little bit differently is all.

"Normal" is a setting on the washing machine, and nothing more. Don't get hung up on a concept of what your trip "should" be - just be happy, and love your family, and laugh and find all the joy you can, and you will have a fantastic trip!

Thank you for this!! Thank you for all the info!!

Everyone has been so helpful and i feel so much better about this now. Still hesitant about the meanies lol but at the end ill have a more enjoyable and safe day with my family

I am in the same boat. I can walk short distances and can take disney transportation to resort restaurants without the scooter. I just can't walk or stand for more than 30 minutes or so without needing a break or feeling back and knee pain. I do feel a sense of shame of having to use a scooter when I don't use one in my every day life, but I also know the experience of feeling miserable being at a park all day. My game changer was Dollywood last year for one day. After 3 hours of walking, standing, sitting, the pain was pretty unbearable and i was ready to be done. I don't want to feel like that anymore. I want to enjoy the day as much as I can.

Mama gave all the advice you really need honestly

I'll add my additional: I have for SURE ugly cried many many times over my disability. "It's not fair" "I'm too young" "why me?" and all that cliché stuff. A lot of it is just internalizing what we hear from others around us and it just builds and builds until it bursts out. Don't feel bad about the ugly cry, it's healthy. Drink some water to rehydrate and have a nice bath and pat yourself on the back for letting it all out.

Remember for your trip too that Disney is supposed to be the "happiest place on earth" so have a good time. Don't let anyone else's commentary get to you. You might not even get any but if you do know that the cast members are there to help. I'm a disabled girl with a trans gf, I've definitely had to stand up to some jerks at Disney before, but I'd rather be enjoying my vacation with my girlfriend than making others feel bad on their trip like those jerks do. Also, with the past year and a half we've had more folks are having a hard time dealing with their personal negativities on their own. It helps to remember that and that it's likely nothing to do with you. Just take care of you, and be awesome <3

Thanks for mentioning this about parking it in designated spots and walking around some. I was always worried that I shouldn't leave it parked somewhere (other than maybe outside a ride entrance that required it) even though I felt I could walk for some short distances. I will definitely try that some in the areas you mention. It would be nice to be able to leave it behind for short periods and distances. Sitting in it all day also came with some difficulties and it was nice to be able to get up and walk some when I felt up to it.

Most welcome. I find being able to walk around some to be helpful even if just for a bit of a break, even if just to stretch my legs and it is literally just walking to look at the ducks and keeping the ecv in eyeshot the whole time.

**remember to take they key with you**. It also helps to have something distinguishing on it so you recognize your scooter from among the others. And I always put the seatback down -- it helps keep the seat cooler, helps keep my seat cover on it, and I would like to think that it makes someone else less likely to think it is their ecv since most people don't put the seatback down. And I don't leave any bags or anything on the scooter -- I carry a park bag (small backpack) into the park, which rides in the front basket, and if I walk away from the scooter the park bag comes with me.

SW

Thank you for this!! Thank you for all the info!!

Everyone has been so helpful and i feel so much better about this now. Still hesitant about the meanies lol but at the end ill have a more enjoyable and safe day with my family
Mama gave all the advice you really need honestly

I'll add my additional: I have for SURE ugly cried many many times over my disability. "It's not fair" "I'm too young" "why me?" and all that cliché stuff. A lot of it is just internalizing what we hear from others around us and it just builds and builds until it bursts out. Don't feel bad about the ugly cry, it's healthy. Drink some water to rehydrate and have a nice bath and pat yourself on the back for letting it all out.

Remember for your trip too that Disney is supposed to be the "happiest place on earth" so have a good time. Don't let anyone else's commentary get to you. You might not even get any but if you do know that the cast members are there to help. I'm a disabled girl with a trans gf, I've definitely had to stand up to some jerks at Disney before, but I'd rather be enjoying my vacation with my girlfriend than making others feel bad on their trip like those jerks do. Also, with the past year and a half we've had more folks are having a hard time dealing with their personal negativities on their own. It helps to remember that and that it's likely nothing to do with you. Just take care of you, and be awesome <3

Well, clearly @Missing_Aria is my new best friend around here! 😉 But some excellent points were made there, and honestly, I'm just adding on...

Please. Pleasepleaseplease don't worry about the "meanies". First of all, I have been using mobility devices for more than 7 years at WDW full-time when I visit, and in all that time, I can count on the fingers of 1 hand (with a couple of fingers left over) the number of stinky episodes I have had.

And those people who act out? What you are seeing are *their* fears, *their* prejudice against *anyone* who is "different", and *their* lack of empathy. In other words, it's a VERY public display of THEIR problems... not yours!

So, that's why we treat it the way we do. You just give them your very best princess smile (a BIG one, please! LOL) and you give a lovely princess wave of your hand, and in your very best southern drawl, covered in magnolia blossoms, and just drippin' in honey, you say:

"Bless your heart!"​

And you go on. You can't change them, and why let their problem ruin *your* fun? Had a guy call me a "scooter weasel" one time. Big smile, wave of the hand, "Bless your heart!" and on we went. Family member turned around to look back, said the guy was just standing there with his mouth open, catching flies LOL

And if that's just not your style, that's OK. You don't have to say *anything* to anyone who acts like a jerk at WDW; you have the option - and the right - to just ignore them and move on. The only time you would want to involve a CM would be if someone touched you or your personal mobility device. Highly unlikely that will ever happen.

But I have found that having a strategy ready makes me feel better. If I know how I'm going to handle those bullies (and that is what they are, make no mistake) then I can relax, knowing that in the rare event I encounter one, I have my response ready.

There are a lot of people on Facebook who talk really big about what they do... but in real life, they wouldn't dare. It's easy for them to brag on the internet about their alleged escapades, and run others down, but unless you are seeing actual video footage of these people harassing folks for using a mobility device, don't worry. It's probably all hot air anyway! There are folks who want to scare you away so that you (and your mobility device) don't remind them of what they don't want to think about, because they are just that shallow, self-centered and ill-informed.

There may be someone who appears to be judging you, or just *watching* you - just remember that a lot of folks at WDW (especially those who have found a spot to sit for a moment) kind of "zone out" while waiting in lines, or holding a table at a QS, or waiting for a show/attraction. They don't realize they are staring (and it happens to be aimed in your direction is all). I have caught myself doing that on more than one occasion! There might be a small portion of those folks who wonder why are you using a mobility device, but there are so many mobility device users at WDW nowadays that (and please know, this is *not* meant to hurt your feelings) that you on a scooter is a total non-event. And who cares what that small group of people thinks about you anyway? You don't know those people, and you will *never* see them again. So don't worry about them. I promise you - every one of them, someday, will either have to use a mobility aid, or will love someone who has to use a mobility aid of some kind. In one form or another, old age, gravity and/or arthritis comes for us all...

Have fun. Don't worry about anyone but your beautiful family. I really believe it will all be OK! 🙂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter