SB: Silly question

gshoemate

<font color=blue>Wants to Talk to the Dolphins!<br
This is a layout from my local scrapbook store's website. I'm trying to find out how to do the blue part at the bottom. It looks like it was just ripped, but I know that if I ripped my paper, it would look terrible. Does anyone know an easy way to get this effect?

fbccf3b6.jpg.orig.jpg

gshoemate,

We can't see the picture. Try posting a link to it instead of posting the actual picture.

That is just ripped paper. it's easy to do, and hard to get it looking just right. practice on plan paper or newspaper until you get comfortable with tearing. Expect it not to be perfect. If you want a ripped straight line use a ruler to rip it.

Remember, practice makes lots of scraps to play with.

The only hints I can give you:

It matters which way you tear the paper, at least on paper that is colored only on one side. Tearing one direction gives you the white edge to the front and the other way gives you the white edge in the back. Practice on scraps in advance.

You can lightly draw the shape on the back and tear along the line. That sometimes gives me extra confidence that I am going to get the shape I want.

Chalking the torn edges gives a neat effect.

one more small tip:

Depending on how you tear it, you can have just a little white paper showing or lots. If you want less (like the dark blue paper) tear it right down the middle as you tear it towards you. If you want more white showing (like the light blue paper) tear it just a little to the right or left as you are pulling it towards you.

Practice a little on scraps before you do this so then you can get the hang of it.

Also, you can wet your paper for a more precise tearing area. Just dab a q-tip in water and draw where you want to rip it, then when you rip it, it stays very close to the line you've drawn in water with the q-tip.

good luck!

Stampin Up! now sells a special tearing ruler -
It is really neat! A different size of ripped edges on each side
of the 'ruler' I believe there is a picture of it on their webpage.
It is one of those things that you look at & think,
'WHY didn't I invent this??' it's just so cool:cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the link, Rebecca!

I think the tearing edges of paper makes a great effect on a page! I have never done this yet, as I can never get the tear right...it always looks messy to me!:p

Maybe this new tool will help? :)

Good timing, the CEO from staminup was on DIY today and she had a really good layout. I can't wait to try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter