Saying Hello in EPCOT! =0)

HEY!!!!! what about a good old english hello?

Ay up Me duck (if you live in the midlands area) = HELLO!! xxx

Yes, its true everyone is called duck, my mum got a few funny looks in Orlando when she called everyone ducky LOL.

Hmmmm; the last time I went to Epcot, we made it a point to learn to say "beer" in the language of every country as we ordered them. Luckily, the last two countries going clockwise are English-speaking, because we were in no shape for a quiz by then.

You can also say "Ahlan" (ah-laan) in Morocco. It means "hello" in arabic. Asalaamu alaikum (Salaam) is more of a religious greeting in the muslim world.

We used these greetings last year in Epcot! The kids- my DD16, and nephews 7 and 11- had a blast, and the CM's were very pleased to have children saying hello in their native languages! I even looked up ways to say Goodbye for them.

Another benefit that us Mom's appreciated- it kept the kids occupied on the 18 hour drive to The World!

Going again in June!

I think this is great, but now... how to say goodbye???

I am taking my Girl Scouts to the World in June and this was one of the things they were going to do towards earning an interets project award. So, if anyone can help me out...

Thanks!

Nanette in VA
49 days until I take my Girl Scouts to the World! :wizard:
... and we sold A LOT of cookies to get there!!!

Great idea. I'll have DS and DS's friend practice them. Do you think 100+ days is enough time to practice? :thumbsup2

Nanette said:
I think this is great, but now... how to say goodbye???

I am taking my Girl Scouts to the World in June and this was one of the things they were going to do towards earning an interets project award. So, if anyone can help me out...

Thanks!

Nanette in VA
49 days until I take my Girl Scouts to the World! :wizard:
... and we sold A LOT of cookies to get there!!!

Arabic goodbye is "masalaama".

I don't get the 'bump' thing...?? I saw it on other threads too...what do you mean by that?? Just wondering!

diannaneglia said:
I don't get the 'bump' thing...?? I saw it on other threads too...what do you mean by that?? Just wondering!

Bump means to move the topic up to possibly get more replies :)

I did one country a week last year before our vacation with my 4 yr old. She loved it. We had a German meal (brats, potatoes, rye bread, German beer), we had Mexican (quesadillas, margaritas although none for her at 4 yrs old! LOL!), at the library they had fairy tales from around the world so we got some great Italian folk tales, etc... I think it made the WS a little more special for her. She even got a certificate in Mexico from a CM for being able to count to 20 in Spanish!

~June 26-July 1 - CBR
7th trip and counting!

you can ask how someone is doing in Swahili "Habari gani?" (ha bar ee gah nee)

Msuri-good
Msuri sana-very good
heevee heevee- so so
I can't remember not good...I think it is mbari, but who would answer that way anyway? :)

or count to ten
1 moja (mo' ja)
2 mbili (mm bee lee)
3 tatu (tah too)
4 nne (n nay)
5 tano (tah no)
6 sita (see tah)
7 saba (sah bah)
8 nane (nah nay)
9 tisa (tee sah)
10 kumi (coo me)

Do not for get the Christmas , and other timely greetings during the holidays or birthday greetings to your child to keep in their passport,( Ive got it easy my dd bday is Dec 26, so she gets both )and here in Hawaii we definitely celebrate " Japanese" New Years, so look for your own local type customs and learn more about them. We dont know much about KWANZA but learning about it was something I thought would be useful in many schools , I know ours are multi cultural here.....so lets start the holiday greetings too ... here goes ...god jule Norway.... now yours too your holiday greeting... ours is MELE KALIKIMAKA ( even if your Japanese in Hawaii). : :rainbow:

Here's something fun we started when Erich was around 6yrs old.He's since taught his step brother Jonathan too.I thought y'all might enjoy it.

They practice saying hello in the WS languages before we go to WDW.The first time Erich was so excited about going to each country and talking to a CMs!The CM's seem to be really happy when you greet them in their native langauage!!

Enjoy! Ciao!
Alicia aka Lisa =0)

Very cool! Thank you!

I subscribed to this thread in November, 2006 and just saw the update today. Time for an update:

We went to WDW this past December and the kids did this. The DS9 and DD7 practised before we got to the parks and were able to say most of the greetings. All but one of the Cast Memebers were very impressed if not by the pronounciation(sp), but by the effort.

DS got a free pin out of it. He had approached a cast member in Japan and said hello and was ready to ask to trade pins. The girl was so impressed with the greeting, that she refused to take a pin in trade for the one he wanted from her.

Enjoy your trips,

Maz:3dglasses

Wow... what a great idea! My kids are gonna have a ball learning them!

Thanks so much Baloo!!!

:)
This is an excellent idea. My kid (9yo) is at that stage where he is really interested in learning about other countries and cultures. He is learning Spanish at school at the moment (will come in handy at the Mexico part of WS :) ) Doing something fun like this will really grab his attention - I knew he would love this part of Epcot, but he will enjoy it even more now! :)

we do the same thing and my kids love it! Thanks for the moroccan and japanese.......didn't know those-have added them to our greetings list!
only 7 more days till the gomez gang is in the world..........
woo hoo!!!!!!!:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!