Saratoga Springs Resort!

We too just returned from our first DVC trip to SSR about a week ago.

We stayed in the Grandstand section on third floor, 2BR unit 9427, very close to the elevators. Our view was stunning - lush green manicured grounds w/ the golf course in the distance. This section has several perks to it...own quiet but fun quiet pool w/ kids play area...first bus stop (pickup and dropoff) so you never have to stand...only a short 5 min. walk to the main Springs section where all of the action is...absolutely brand new because it just opened in the last six months, I believe.

Bus service- excellent overall, because you do not stop at other resorts.
The longest ride was to Animal Kingdom and it did seem to take awhile. Also, sometimes buses were full by the time they arrived at the Springs - one reason I would probably not want to stay there unless we were in an off season.

Restaurants - really enjoyed the flatbreads and grilled sandwiches at AP. Plenty of snack items and other goodies you may need/want.
Did not eat at TC but peeked inside. It reminded me of a quiet spot you would eat after a golf game or a restaurant at a country club. We are trying it for the first time at T-giving...have heard good reviews.

Staff - EXCEPTIONAL - especially the bell services - very informative and unbelievably friendly and helpful.

Pools - Were only at SSR for three days. First day a storm ruined our visit to the Grandstand pool. Next two days hit the main pool for a little while. LOVED the zero entry. I kept wondering why everyone kept commenting on it and now I know why. Our DD4 could play there and we didn't have to hold her the whole time. I could sit in the water and relax if I chose. DD20, DS16
and DH"2" threw the water football and went down the slide. Plenty of chairs on a Thurs. and Fri. afternoon. Not overly crowded. Yes, very HOT cement.

DTD walkway - did not get a chance to do, but hope to at T-giving because we enjoy resort restaurant hopping.

PROS:
Stunning grounds
brand new rooms
lots to do w/out the parks
DTD access
Other resort access
is strictly DVC - doesn't share with a resort so I think you have a special treatment
LOVED the spa (had an wonderful pedicure w/DD20)

CONS:
distances if you are tired
need more time to experience all they offer
full buses at the Springs

Disney seems so well trained to accomodate those in wheelchairs. Have you asked for handicapped facilities? 1st floor? Near elevator?
Have any easy to open and close stroller for the 3yr old because it has to be collapsed on the bus.

You will LOVE SSR - we cannot wait to go back and also add more points!!

When did you stay there?

December '06 and May '07

What type of room did you have and in what building (How did you like your view and your building location)?

1bedroom handicap accessible. Dead center of the both my buildings by the elevators. I was in the Springs in December (unit 3525) and Grandstand in May (unit 8525).

Identical rooms but with different views. Springs had a view of a little courtyard and the lake between two buildings. Grandstand had views of a little courtyard, the hills of the golf course and the resort.

Both rooms were accessible with a not-so impossibly high bed and roll-in shower. Only other difference from the models is there was no breakfast counter for the extra two chairs they give you. Have no idea why. It was a loss for us.

How was the bus service?

It was too cold for me to use it in December so we mostly opted to use our van instead. But in May we left the van and always used the bus. My longest wait was about 5 minutes at the Grandstand. BTW, Grandstand is nice because it is the first stop. That means you get empty seats and plenty of space for wheelchairs. My dad rents a scooter when we're down so we needed both wheelchair spots: for my powerchair and his scooter. If we had stayed at the Springs (last stop on the route), we would have had a harder time getting space on the bus.

How were the restaurants (AP and TC)?

Loved AP. We ate there pretty much every day. Love the chef specials. Tried to go to TC but forgot they closed at 9pm. We ended up eating the chef special at AP and had a better time.

Your experience with the staff?

EXCELLENT! They remembered us from our December trip and have always been super nice to us. Our rooms have never been assigned where we wanted them but the Front Desk staff have gone out of their way to fix it. The staff seems more laid back and friendly than other places. Well except for the gals at Whispering Canyon Cafe. :)

The pools? Quiet or main pool.

I can really only use the main pool because it is zero entry. (I can't do steps.) But we checked out all the pools. Grandstand has one with a pool bar and water play area. The Paddocks and Congress Park pools are very ornate and a wonderful haven mid-day when the parks are full.

Walking path to Downtown Disney? (was it well lit, how long of a walk. where did it leave in Downtown Disney, and is it true that there's 2 walking paths to DD?)

The one by Congress Park is well-lit at night (just not the little nature path detour which is optional anyway). You enter from the DTD Marketplace bus depot. Beautiful views at night.

As for time and distance, well I raced my dad home one night from West Side. 3-4.5 mph through PI, Marketplace, back through CP, Springs and to our Grandstand room non-stop. I did it in exactly 30 minutes. That's a fast walking speed, slow run.

The other route is daytime only and goes from West Side, through the parking lot and golf course to a bridge over the canal and winds up at the back of AP. I never took it. Much easier to just pick up the ferry back of AP instead.

I did take the same pathway bridge to OKW. That was a looooooooong walk. Don't do it in the middle of the day when it's sunny and hot.

Your overal experience, Pro's and Con's?

December I did a lot of Christmas shopping. I liked the resort but felt it was too cold in general for me to enjoy Florida. I desparately wanted to come back in warm weather.

In May I was there 8 days. I absolutely adored the place. Getting up early for strolls around the resort, enjoying all those walkways and natural scenery, the accessible pool, etc. I never wanted to leave. In fact, I pouted all the way home. Thank goodness I'm going back in October. (Originally for 6 days but we added on 3 more because we wanted more time.)

I'll be traveling with a child (3) and my grandfather who is in a wheel chair. any tips?

Try to stay in the Grandstand area. Since it's the first bus stop, you'll have an easier time getting space on the bus. Other than that, I'd go for the Paddocks by its pool. Paddocks is the 3rd stop. My reasoning is that the Springs may be closer to the HRS pool but that bus gets awfully full. And the Paddocks pool has a nearby bridge spanning the lake to connect it to Springs area. Makes it a lot shorter.

One other thing, buy a cheap doorstop at Walmart and stick it in your luggage. Those apartment doors are very heavy. It'll be really hard to balance the door, your grandfather's wheelchair and your 3 yr old. Someone's gonna get their fingers pinched. We just threw our doorstep on the floor and kicked it into place before driving out with our chair and scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter