San Diego Cruises 2021

If it helps any, we have boarding group 2 and our PAT is 11am. We are platinum but not concierge. So you should be before us.
Thanks. I think we'll just target 11:00. It's not like we'll be getting on right away, anyway.

If it helps your assurance any, we also have a cabin in boarding group 3 and their PAT is 11:15, so you should definitely be just fine with 11:00 or even a bit before because someone has to have group 1, the boarding groups filled fast :0) So they are spreading everyone out.

We do have Kaiser, but they only test M-F between 8am and noon, last time we had to have him tested (even with the required appt to join the queue) we were in line for just over 90 minutes, so he would miss at least 2 hours of school. We did get the results back but it did take the full 48 hours so I know they were already having a hard time keeping that commitment, so thought this time I would pay instead. They did make the deadline barely, but that meant 2 hours lost work and lost school to get him the test., Really hoping to hear someone has had good success with one of these SD companies offering the rapid PCR test in time. Its a big choice as it impacts all 4 of us going, the other 3 being vaccinated, he is still 11, and he would be the most crushed if the results didn't come back in time. Not the way I wanted his cruise anticipation to hang in the balance, I wish they gave us one more day or half day for results but I am glad they are keeping everyone safe. Anyone have good success from one of these rapid test sights- airport one isn't taking cruisers.

Which sites are you looking at? Covid Clinic is legit, but expensive. I think the airport (edit - San Diego airport, I think it's through Carbon Health) is cheaper, and last I checked they weren’t asking for proof of travel, but that may have changed? UCSD has drive up sites that do travel testing (so you're guaranteed results in time), but I am not sure of the cost. Make sure you get the right type of test (rapid PCR vs rapid antigen).

The county sites, CVS, Walgreens etc are all free but don’t guarantee a time for results. We've used the county several times and had results next day, but that's risky for a cruise.

Our Kaiser just extended their covid testing appt times to 7:30-3:00, I think because for the last month they have been spilling onto the road into Kaiser, as well as the lines blocking access to the parking lots for people arriving for appts in the clinic, as they couldn't get onto the property. It was a total bottleneck. When we got to the front of the line our particular test giver was laughing her head off in the little side tent until she realized we could see her, she thought it was hilarious as the security guide had just come up to advise them how bad it had gotten. I wish I had gotten her name so I could report it to guest services but she had tucked it out of sight beneath her top so you only saw the badge outline, I'm not a confrontational person but that really was unprofessional. We had been in line 90 minutes, yet she was taking people who walked up- immediately. We thought you had to stay in your car. I will drive by and see if the lines seem better with the new hours, we live within a couple miles. But I would have rather pay than go through that again, she also terrified our kid when she took great delight in informing him it 'was going to go way, way up his nose and would feel like it was poking his brain'. There had to be nicer imagery than that for kids. Still hoping someone has actually used one of these sites anywhere here in San Diego for the rapid PCR (lower nose) that will actually give you the same day or 24 hour results as promised?? It would be worth it to know that much quicker rather than sweating the 48 hour limit.
Wow, Kaiser is nothing like that where I am. My wait has been less than 5 min each time, and they have appointments 9am - 4:45pm. We've always gotten our results the next morning.

Online it does say they are doing testing on the ship for cruises over 7 days but doesn't say what type of test. I feel you need to contact DCL to check on this one I'm afraid. I was doing EBPC but actually went and moved just before the 15th deadline as just can't see the US opening the boarder to UK people in time. Lucky really as yesterday BA cancelled my outbound flight anyway so couldn't have got to the cruise
Thank you for the response. We were also debating on cancelling this cruise because of the always changing requirements but we decided to go through with it.

I will contact DCL in a couple of days as the only detail I can see about debarkation is this:

Debarkation Day COVID-19 Testing: All unvaccinated Guests (adults and children, regardless of age) on 5-night and longer sailings are required to take a COVID-19 PCR test (paid for by Disney Cruise Line and administered by Inspire Diagnostics) on the ship prior to debarking. All Guests on consecutive, back-to-back sailings, regardless of age and vaccination status, will be required to undergo a COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal after debarking the ship following their first cruise, before reboarding the ship for their second cruise.

I hope they’ll provide guidance on protocols for vaccinated guests soon. :)

I had seen your question, so I asked it today when I was getting some other questions answered by Disney. All they could tell me was that no decision has been made yet about testing during debarkation in Galveston. Sorry, no help.
Thank you for asking Disney this question :) I only saw a small portion about debarkation so I’m hoping they’ll be able to provide guidance soon. Thanks again!

Katiebird- the sites I have looked at were the Covid Clinic Grossmont (but it didn't look like they did rapid PCR, just rapid antigen), Carbon Health for the airport says on their site that you must show your boarding pass or flight confirmation, MedCare San Diego was another option but downtown, but had great hours so a possibility, and wetestu in Mission Valley that does a 24 hr turnaround for $199 but I had no idea if any of them had a good reputation. So much is riding on making the right choice, i am very tempted with whatever it costs to get one either while we wait OR the 24 hr turnaround just for the peace of mind. San Diego hasn't had cruising going on to have all the access for travelers that Florida has, and with the cancelation of the first 3 sailings, all of a sudden, we're up. I have heard you can order a kit through Safe Passages but concerned the Inspire site in LA (which is fairly close) only can promise you will have results within 48 hours of their RECEIVING it. That's cutting it a bit close.

Katiebird- the sites I have looked at were the Covid Clinic Grossmont (but it didn't look like they did rapid PCR, just rapid antigen), Carbon Health for the airport says on their site that you must show your boarding pass or flight confirmation, MedCare San Diego was another option but downtown, but had great hours so a possibility, and wetestu in Mission Valley that does a 24 hr turnaround for $199 but I had no idea if any of them had a good reputation. So much is riding on making the right choice, i am very tempted with whatever it costs to get one either while we wait OR the 24 hr turnaround just for the peace of mind. San Diego hasn't had cruising going on to have all the access for travelers that Florida has, and with the cancelation of the first 3 sailings, all of a sudden, we're up. I have heard you can order a kit through Safe Passages but concerned the Inspire site in LA (which is fairly close) only can promise you will have results within 48 hours of their RECEIVING it. That's cutting it a bit close.

Of those, I’m only familiar with Covid clinic. They have several locations and seem to do both a next day PCR and a 1-2 hour PCR. We’ve only used them for rapid antigen (I think at the time they didn’t have rapid PCR, but they do now), and it was last year, but it was a good experience and I haven’t heard anything negative about them in general.

I will reach out to them and ask if they are doing the rapid PCR (not antigen), at least I can update here whatever happens for those who still have to get a kid tested after us, it isn't easy going first so fingers crossed and thank you so much for helping, you are super appreciated.

I will reach out to them and ask if they are doing the rapid PCR (not antigen), at least I can update here whatever happens for those who still have to get a kid tested after us, it isn't easy going first so fingers crossed and thank you so much for helping, you are super appreciated.

their website has next day PCR for $150 and rapid PCR for $299. They have a lot of locations too, so if one is booked full for some reason, you have options.

Thank you for the response. We were also debating on cancelling this cruise because of the always changing requirements but we decided to go through with it.

I will contact DCL in a couple of days as the only detail I can see about debarkation is this:

Debarkation Day COVID-19 Testing: All unvaccinated Guests (adults and children, regardless of age) on 5-night and longer sailings are required to take a COVID-19 PCR test (paid for by Disney Cruise Line and administered by Inspire Diagnostics) on the ship prior to debarking. All Guests on consecutive, back-to-back sailings, regardless of age and vaccination status, will be required to undergo a COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal after debarking the ship following their first cruise, before reboarding the ship for their second cruise.

I hope they’ll provide guidance on protocols for vaccinated guests soon. :)

Fingers crossed.

In the "go figure" department... After our 7N was reduced to a 4N we took the credits and booked the 3N immediately afterwards for a B2B. We checked in for the 4N as soon as we could, submitted all our docs and are waiting for approval. When the 3N check in opened, we did that, and uploaded all the same images as we did for the 4N. Our 3N check in is now complete, with all docs approved, while the 4N is still pending. 🤷‍♂️

Also, our safe passages vaccine record upload was approved in about 36 hours.

What is anyone thinking if they have kids under 12 that need the PCR test 3 days before sailing with negative result uploaded 24 hours before sailing. Anyone have good experience with a place in SD that will reliably get the rapid PCR test results back in time?? I have found one place that promised to do it for $199/test but I have no idea if they are actually reliable. With the steady increase of covid cases nationwide its taking longer and longer to get results, In Florida they can go to the airport and get a rapid test but at our airport you have to show your flight ticket to qualify, its not for cruises. I hate disappointing my child because I chose badly and we don't meet the deadline. I am feeling the pressure.
Not in SD but we are going to use the inspire diagnostics home test. I have a local county testing as a back up.

People who are getting their tests. Can you post the prices? I do not want to pay 200. I used the
CVS/Rite Aid for a trip to Hawaii. Several in our group got it back within 24-48 hours however
a couple of friends did not get it back in time and ended up testing at airport for 125.

So do you have to get your own test first and then get tested again at port?
Not sure if you're quoting the right post, but we do not need to get tested before we arrive at the port. We are not travelling with children.

We do have Kaiser, but they only test M-F between 8am and noon, last time we had to have him tested (even with the required appt to join the queue) we were in line for just over 90 minutes, so he would miss at least 2 hours of school. We did get the results back but it did take the full 48 hours so I know they were already having a hard time keeping that commitment, so thought this time I would pay instead. They did make the deadline barely, but that meant 2 hours lost work and lost school to get him the test., Really hoping to hear someone has had good success with one of these SD companies offering the rapid PCR test in time. Its a big choice as it impacts all 4 of us going, the other 3 being vaccinated, he is still 11, and he would be the most crushed if the results didn't come back in time. Not the way I wanted his cruise anticipation to hang in the balance, I wish they gave us one more day or half day for results but I am glad they are keeping everyone safe. Anyone have good success from one of these rapid test sights- airport one isn't taking cruisers.
How long ago was this?

Not sure if you're quoting the right post, but we do not need to get tested before we arrive at the port. We are not travelling with children.
Oh phew!! Thanks Im getting Orlando requirements mixed up with San Diego. So just to reiterate if
we sail from San Diego and everyone 12 and up are vaccinated we don't have to get a test. But
we are tested at the port?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter