San Diego Cruises 2021

It doesn't necessarily mean anything for San Diego, but I have now seen a cast member in Entertainment that has posted that they're officially back onboard the Wonder.

1) Has Mexico opened its ports up to cruises? any restrictions?

Cozumel and Costa Maya have been open for a while. No cruises have done the Riviera yet. The first Carnival cruise will go to Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlán at the end of August. No one is scheduled into Ensenada until late September. At this time the ports have not listed additional restrictions, but both Carnival and HAL are sailing with a higher percentage of vaccinated guests that Disney is likely to.

I find it hard to believe that DCL is going to pay the money to get the Wonder through the PC without passengers, just to do west coast cruises. And then pay to bring the Wonder back through the PC to go to Galveston. All of this without the revenue from Alaska cruises this summer.

I find it hard to believe that DCL is going to pay the money to get the Wonder through the PC without passengers, just to do west coast cruises. And then pay to bring the Wonder back through the PC to go to Galveston. All of this without the revenue from Alaska cruises this summer.

It's not just to do the West Coast cruises. There's also the East Bound Panama Canal, which is expensive, sold out, and a nice sized chunk of change that I'm sure they'd rather not give up (and certainly don't want to turn into more 125% FCCs, especially at the rate those cabins were going for before it sold out). You're assuming that the Baja cruises aren't profitable, but I think they are way more lucrative than people ever give them credit for (especially when I'm booking every Tasting/Mixology I can get my hands on and playing bingo. Much. Much. Bingo).

I can maybe see them bringing the Wonder west without passengers, given the reports of crew being called back to San Diego but I have a very hard time imagining a scenario where the EBPC sailing happens with passengers. With Delta circulating and the length of that cruise, the best case scenario for Disney if they attempted it might be a repeat of WBPC 2020 and that cruise resulted in partial refunds and giving everyone a large discount on a future cruise. At 14 nights an attempt this fall could easily end up with an outbreak and find itself in an ugly and highly public disaster.

Is there a specific number of days Disney is required to cancel the cruise by?

I still think the distant foreign port requirement is a key issue for the EBPC. The Colombia stop is the PVSA stop, and it is at a very high "lolno" from the State Department.

I thought that both Panama canal cruises were already canceled since the CDC already said that no cruises longer than 7 nights were allowed in 2021. In one of these threads on the board, I thought I read that one cruise line skipped the Panama Canal and instead went below South America to save money getting the boat to the Pacific Ocean.( I have not fact-checked that claim)

I thought that both Panama canal cruises were already canceled since the CDC already said that no cruises longer than 7 nights were allowed in 2021. In one of these threads on the board, I thought I read that one cruise line skipped the Panama Canal and instead went below South America to save money getting the boat to the Pacific Ocean.( I have not fact-checked that claim)
The EBPC is still live, it's just sold out so you can't see it on the website. The CSO only goes through Oct 31st. The 7N restriction will not apply to the EBPC.

EBPC may be alive, but as has been pointed out, Colombia is under a Level 4 alert. And Grand Cayman is only in Phase 1 of re-opening thru November. So scratch those ports. And Mexican ports are still Level3 too so that's still a possible issue. Don't know that I would personally be happy with at least 2 more sea days. Or cutting the cruise short a day to sit in Galveston.

EBPC may be alive, but as has been pointed out, Colombia is under a Level 4 alert. And Grand Cayman is only in Phase 1 of re-opening thru November. So scratch those ports. And Mexican ports are still Level3 too so that's still a possible issue. Don't know that I would personally be happy with at least 2 more sea days. Or cutting the cruise short a day to sit in Galveston.
All true. At this point all we can really say is that it hasn't been cancelled. All of the west coast sailings are still at risk. My response was only to point out the the CSO does not apply to the EBPC as it is past the expiration of the current CSO.

I think we will know before the end of the month if the Wonder is coming to San Diego, or not. The current berthing agreement at Port Everglades is through the the 20th. At that time I would expect the Wonder to head to SD, if she were coming. If she just heads back to Port Orlando, or stays at Port Everglades I would expect the SD sailings to be cancelled.

GC and Mexico can be skipped and still have a PVSA-friendly sailing. Colombia cannot be skipped - unless it is replaced by one of the ABC Islands. These are the only options (save more of South America) to be legal between San Diego and any US port on the east side of the Canal.

Aruba now consider US travelers to be coming from a high-risk country (their words, don't @ me). Aruba's mandatory protocols for visitors coming via cruise ship include:
  • All passengers must take a PCR test and show the negative test results before boarding the ship.
  • All passengers and crew members must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • Ship cannot be over 50% capacity.
Yes, that's PCR AND vax.

Bonaire and Curacao's requirements are somewhat similar (same high risk rating), although Bonaire has a means for the unvaccinated to test multiple times incoming.

Last edited:
GC and Mexico can be skipped and still have a PVSA-friendly sailing. Colombia cannot be skipped - unless it is replaced by one of the ABC Islands. These are the only options (save more of South America) to be legal between San Diego and any US port on the east side of the Canal.

Aruba now consider US travelers to be coming from a high-risk country (their words, don't @ me). Aruba's mandatorry protocols for visitors coming via cruise ship include:
  • All passengers must take a PCR test and show the negative test results before boarding the ship.
  • All passengers and crew members must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • Ship cannot be over 50% capacity.
Yes, that's PCR AND vax.

Bonaire and Curacao's requirements are somewhat similar (same high risk rating), although Bonaire has a means for the unvaccinated to test multiple times incoming.

Even with the low number of children on the EBPC (did one a few years back) item 2 would prevent the Wonder from docking. Unless it is "eligible" passengers. But if that were the case I'm sure you would have said so. :)

Even with the low number of children on the EBPC (did one a few years back) item 2 would prevent the Wonder from docking. Unless it is "eligible" passengers. But if that were the case I'm sure you would have said so. :)
I did not see exceptions for youth, but they may exist. The mask rules exist.

Also worth mentioning is that AB are on the "avoid" list for the US (red) and C is orange (not great).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!