San Diego Cruises 2021

I think Disney intends to sail to Mexico as planned (although possibly modified). Mexico is open and they've got port time scheduled. They *might* shorten the cruises to a 4 or 5 night max. If they cap at 5, it would only impact the 7 night (if you exclude the EBPC, which is a whole different kettle).

the 2 night only goes to Ensenada (only 1 scheduled sailing)
the 3 nights only go to Cabo (2 scheduled)
the 4 nights only go to Cabo (3 scheduled)
the 5 nights (here's where it gets dodgy) go to Cabo and Ensenada (3 scheduled)
The 7 night goes to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan (just the one scheduled)

The 2, 3 and 4 night sailings are one single port. You embark in San Diego and you're back off the ship before you can say "Welcome Aboard! See ya real soon!" It is certainly less 'safe' than double dips at Castaway, but I don't think Disney will have ANY problem with those short sailings.

On the 5 night sailings, they could decide to either shorten to 4, or roll the dice on the extra night (and the extra port). There's time for symptoms to show up, but really if you don't board with cooties, and you catch cooties while one the ship or in port, you're probably going to be off again before they have to go into any kind of real damage control/protocol implementation.

I could see them still doing the 5 nights, but eliminating a port, and then having that single port later in the voyage so any wayward cooties have less time to come aboard and play. They'd probably rather do that than refund a night and shorten it from 5 nights. And it is completely fine for DCL to add an "if you're eligible for a vaccine, you're going to need one" rule in California. So it's a mix and match game of more risk due to more time on board and actual real live foreign port stops, but then possible less risk if they can implement a 'vaccinated wherever possible' clause.

The 7 night is where you really start to put your Gambling Pants on. 3 different ports, even more time on board with a thousand or so of your closest pals. Now that they've set a precedent with modified Fantasy sailings, I could see them doing the same with the Wonder Baja sailings. The 7 night could become a 5 night.

As for the EBPC, my guess would be that they've absolutely got their Gambling Pants™ on (and have decided to add a swanky Gambling Spirit-Jersey™ into the ensemble). It's still months away and plenty of time to refine protocols, test the waters (literally? Figuratively?) and decide how they might be able to make that one go (including where they can stop to satisfy the distant port requirements. Worst case is they have to scrap that one too and end up sailing through the PC twice with no passengers. Those costs are offset by the Baja cruises that do sail and all the money that they get from selling me the Drink of the Day (cause I love me a Sunken Treasure). I'd say it's way better than break even and way way better than sitting empty and paying crew to upkeep an empty ship.

In the end, I think Disney will do what they can to make money (or at least stop losing money). They've proven that time and again. We've seen the erosion of benefits from DCL, DVC, APs, RunDisney, and all while prices increase. We love the Magic and that's why we hold on and suck it up, because it is still magical for us.

Every bit of speculation I do comes from me putting myself in Disney's shoes and saying "how can I keep the money they've already given me, refund as little back as necessary, give out as few FCCs as possible, stop paying to maintain an empty ship, and then make even more money from onboard activities, services and merch that I'm not currently getting while we're 'at anchorage off Port Canaveral? Oh, and we should make some Magic for Guests too."

Last edited:
Every bit of speculation I do comes from me putting myself in Disney's shoes and saying "how can I keep the money they've already given me, refund as little back as necessary, give out as few FCCs as possible, stop paying to maintain an empty ship, and then make even more money from onboard activities, services and merch that I'm not currently getting while we're 'at anchorage off Port Canaveral? Oh, and we should make some Magic for Guests too."

That is probably about right. Because while there is a substantial part of the population who adores Disney and thinks of the parks/ships as "family", the truth is, Disney is a corporation whose job it is to make money.

In the end, I think Disney will do what they can to make money (or at least stop losing money)
It all comes down to this, but I will add a caveat to your analysis. Even if Disney feels they can do the 2-5 day sailings out of San Diego, they have to sail an empty ship to California, and there is high probability that they have to sail an empty ship back. It's a risk.

There is another likely scenario here that they have their accountants crunching #s now to figure out if they scrap the whole season and move the Wonder to Galveston or New Orleans and do short 3-5 day sailings to Mexico from there, will they make more money?

I think if they had already made this decision, then the Wonder would already be on her way. If she was going to sail on her Sept 24th sailing, they would need to send her out there, do a test cruise, get approval...

I just don't think this is a slam dunk at all.

It all comes down to this, but I will add a caveat to your analysis. Even if Disney feels they can do the 2-5 day sailings out of San Diego, they have to sail an empty ship to California, and there is high probability that they have to sail an empty ship back. It's a risk.

Totally agree, and I could absolutely be wrong, but I think people place way too much importance on sailing through the PC empty. For sure, it's expensive. I've seen quotes of $300k to $500k empty (I'd love to know what it actually is). But it is a business expense and a necessary expense to retrieve those Baja dollars (which based on some dirty math I've done, I also think people underestimate). Just the 2 day Baja sailing (based on very dirty math of 50% occupancy at the very cheapest room rate) generates $1.75m in revenue. That's just in lodging. Doesn't count the Rainforest Room, or Palo, Bingo, or Mixology. But that more than pays for both ways through (although the crew doesn't get paid or get to eat in that scenario).

There is another likely scenario here that they have their accountants crunching #s now to figure out if they scrap the whole season and move the Wonder to Galveston or New Orleans and do short 3-5 day sailings to Mexico from there, will they make more money?

Aboslutely agree with this. This has been my biggest concern. The only thing that offsets this concern is knowing that they've already got port agreements and contracts in place on the West Coast $$. There's likely a penalty for breaking those. More $$. Then they'd have to make new ones for the East Coast More more $$... and they've already got 3 ships over there, so what is the Wonder really going to add if they decide to do that? Probably not much more $$ (could be a wash). Then they also have to give back money or send out 125% FCCs (which I'd argue might be worse) to everyone that gets canceled (which they aren't going to have to do to anyone that gets modified) $$$.

I think if they had already made this decision, then the Wonder would already be on her way. If she was going to sail on her Sept 24th sailing, they would need to send her out there, do a test cruise, get approval...

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Possibly. But we're seeing plenty of posts from Cast Members saying they're joining the ship, both in Florida soon and in San Diego a little later. If they've got a Port Agreement in Port Everglades through he 20th, there's no good reason to bail on that sunk cost any sooner than they have to, just to pay again in San Diego (sooner than they have to).

I just don't think this is a slam dunk at all.

No question. I can't argue with anything you've said. I've just weighed the options and (for me) it seems way more likely they sail Baja.

I’m quite perplexed by what DCL’s plans might be here. Obviously if they are calling crew over to San Diego they intend to bring the Wonder there but then what? They can’t do what they are doing with the Dream or what they appear to plan to do with the Fantasy and stick to shorter sailings with just Castaway Cay. Doing the Wonder Mexico sailings is a whole different ball game.

And they have to have a port call for the San Diego loop cruises. PVSA waiver was only for Alaska, and cruises to nowhere are still illegal. For EBPC they have to either call in Cartagena, or in the ABC Islands. Huge issues with all options there. Just going straight through to CC or calling in Mexico is insufficient for a point to point.

Totally agree, and I could absolutely be wrong, but I think people place way too much importance on sailing through the PC empty. For sure, it's expensive. I've seen quotes of $300k to $500k empty (I'd love to know what it actually is).
The fee schedule for the Panama Canal is here: https://www.pancanal.com/eng/op/Tolls-202009-Rev.pdf

I'm not qualified to interpret that, but as best I can tell the Wonder would pay $111 per berth empty or $138 per berth with passengers. If that only counts passenger and not crew berths (which seems to be the case) then that would be right around $300k empty (plus I think that there are some other random fees on top of that).

And they have to have a port call for the San Diego loop cruises. PVSA waiver was only for Alaska, and cruises to nowhere are still illegal. For EBPC they have to either call in Cartagena, or in the ABC Islands. Huge issues with all options there. Just going straight through to CC or calling in Mexico is insufficient for a point to point.
I'm not sure, if the ship sails with crew only, that the foreign (distant or otherwise) port stop is a requirement.

When I did the 2018 WBPC, someone (I think it was the cruise director, but might have been the entertainment director) told us that sailing the Wonder through the old locks cost "around half a million dollars" and the cost for the new locks (which the Wonder has used since they opened in 2016) was "closer to a million". However, a significant chunk of that is a premium for reserving a slot in line, which they wouldn't need to do without passengers. However however, she also said that passenger vessels are charged per maximum passenger berth regardless of whether they're occupied, so it costs the same for the actual tolls regardless of who's on it.

When I did the 2018 WBPC, someone (I think it was the cruise director, but might have been the entertainment director) told us that sailing the Wonder through the old locks cost "around half a million dollars" and the cost for the new locks (which the Wonder has used since they opened in 2016) was "closer to a million". However, a significant chunk of that is a premium for reserving a slot in line, which they wouldn't need to do without passengers. However however, she also said that passenger vessels are charged per maximum passenger berth regardless of whether they're occupied, so it costs the same for the actual tolls regardless of who's on it.

I was just looking over the fee schedule that Sykes posted (thanks!), and it says that although they do pay 'per berth' regardless of whether or not it is occupied, if they aren't transporting passengers at all they are considered 'unladen' and pay a reduced 'ballast weight'. A little cheaper. The Wonder can hold 2400 passengers. So if one passenger=1 berth.

Ballast weight: $111 pp old locks $119 new locks ($266k old locks, $285.6k new locks)

Laden weight: $138 pp old locks $148 new locks ($331.2K old locks, $355.2K new locks)

plus extra fees for cabling and tow boats and such. Not too bad. If I buy 44,400 Sunken Treasures, I'll cover the cost of one way. Or if I play one session of bingo, I'll cover the cost both ways.

I believe there is also an auction for spare/cancelled transit slots, which may be a cheaper option for DCL. Also worth bearing in mind that if there is no passengers, they don't need a daytime transit slot. We are booked on the EB Panama Transit having lost last years and really hope it goes ahead, we did it before in 2008 on the Disney Magic. Our biggest issue at the moment is being allowed into the USA from UK.

This waiting is driving me batty. That said, I'm feeling more optimistic about the sailings happening then I did say a month ago. Based on all the various social media posts from CMs, I do think that there is enough time to squeeze a test cruise in there too before the 24th.

I'm not sure, if the ship sails with crew only, that the foreign (distant or otherwise) port stop is a requirement.
I think crew only they're fine, but I've seen people assuming a revenue sailing can just do CC and be cool. And no!

Doing the Wonder Mexico sailings is a whole different ball game.

Why?

They can do a 3/4 night cruise to Ensenada or Cabo and back from San Diego and just shorten all the cruises to 3/4 night.

I think a bigger stretch which is true now is the Fantasy only doing a 4 night cruise to Castaway and Disney just having the Fantasy sit there for 3 other nights.

Also whats the cost difference between having the crew on board vs not on board? Like how much more per day does it really cost to recall the crew a month or two earlier then you end up needing them?

Odd question about the cruise to nowhere, I know they have to stop at a non-American port, but do they have to let guests off the boat? Or could they pull up to a port let cruiser look at the port, but not let people off the boat and then pull away 4 hours later.

Odd question about the cruise to nowhere, I know they have to stop at a non-American port, but do they have to let guests off the boat? Or could they pull up to a port let cruiser look at the port, but not let people off the boat and then pull away 4 hours later.
It has to be legal and possible for passengers to disembark.

Well, it's at least moved onto the schedule as scheduled to depart at 16:00 today! Still doesn't show where her next port will be though....

Well, it's at least moved onto the schedule as scheduled to depart at 16:00 today! Still doesn't show where her next port will be though....
Thanks, I was wondering (no pun intended) she she would sail away. I'm keeping an eye on Marine Traffic to see if/when her destination is updated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter