Salt Water Pool?

Sisdy

Earning My Ears
When the FW pool was redone was it changed to a salt water pool or is it still Chlorine?

It is actually kind of silly if they didn't upgrade to salt water. The savings from not having to buy all those chemicals pays for the upgrade within a few years, and the water quality is so much better. Daily maintenance requirements are reduced greatly as well. My neighborhood pool upgraded during this past off-season and the pool is much nicer on the skin, and ongoing maintenance easier on the HOA's budget.

Saltwater...ewww...I wouldn't set foot in the pool if that's the way it was.

Like most "public" pools, it seems to have a higher chlorine content than the average home pool. If you've ever been in a busy pool you'll understand. Nothing out of the ordinary and not a problem for the hour I spent in it with my son.

Scott

Saltwater pools are the best! The initial investment is more but no shock no chemicals to store just bags of salt like you use in a drinking water purification system its better for your skin, hair, and there is no salt taste or feel. Dont knock it till you try one and dont let the word salt fool you its not salty ocean water:rotfl2:

I don't know what they are using know, but a few years ago I know it was bromine, not chlorine. Most can't tell the difference between the 2.

Whatever it takes to kill the germs in that giant toilet they call a pool.

That doesn't kill the germs-it just makes them drunk :lmao:

I know a lot of the resorts pools use bromide, so I was surprised to hear they were using chlorine in this pool. I was just wondering how strong the chlorine smell was at the Fort pool.

If you "smell" chlorine - you are actually smelling Combined Chloramines, by products of the sanitizing process. It means the water is not properly balanced, allowing CC to form. If you smell it, it usually means there isn't/hasn't been ENOUGH chlorine to do the job effectively.

Saltwater pools ARE chlorine pools. Chlorine is generated from salt by a "Saltwater Chlorine Generator" and the salt is converted into chlorine.

Bromine is not usually recommended in an outdoor pool because it there is no way to protect it from UV destruction like you can with chlorine via the use of stabilizer/CYA which cuts chlorine loss to the sun by 50%. CYA and Bromine aren't compatible....it makes a bromine pool very expensive to operate.

SWCG pools are not chemical free- And you still might need to shock a SWCG pool - if the FC levels haven't been maintained, allowing CC or algae to take hold. SWCGs are not cheap, but they are convenient and the salt does feel "softer" to the skin. You still might need PH/TA balancers and Cyanuric Acid, but other than that an SWCG is a relatively simple system to operate.

If you "smell" chlorine - you are actually smelling Combined Chloramines, by products of the sanitizing process. It means the water is not properly balanced, allowing CC to form. If you smell it, it usually means there isn't/hasn't been ENOUGH chlorine to do the job effectively.

Saltwater pools ARE chlorine pools. Chlorine is generated from salt by a "Saltwater Chlorine Generator" and the salt is converted into chlorine.

Bromine is not usually recommended in an outdoor pool because it there is no way to protect it from UV destruction like you can with chlorine via the use of stabilizer/CYA which cuts chlorine loss to the sun by 50%. CYA and Bromine aren't compatible....it makes a bromine pool very expensive to operate.

SWCG pools are not chemical free- And you still might need to shock a SWCG pool - if the FC levels haven't been maintained, allowing CC or algae to take hold. SWCGs are not cheap, but they are convenient and the salt does feel "softer" to the skin. You still might need PH/TA balancers and Cyanuric Acid, but other than that an SWCG is a relatively simple system to operate.
And if I hadn't already gotten into the scotch that would have made sense to me! :rotfl2:

Actually, this is starting to make more sense to me. I was thinking the concentration of salt that would be necessary to get the osmolarity required to kill bacteria would make for a very unpleasant swimming experience. Now, pass the scotch.

I do not think this is the kind of salt water pool they were thinking of but I could be wrong. I believe they are talking about a true "salt Water" pool like the ocean type salt water.

Correct me if I am wrong but the above "salt walter" pool you describe really is not salt water. It starts out with fresh water and the chlorine system uses salt to generate or make the chlorine and the "salt" also softens the water like a water softener. There really is no "salt" in the water like a true "salt water" pool.:thumbsup2

Burp. Excuse me. To much Kungaloosh.

SWCG pools need a min of 3,000 ppm salt to function properly, the ocean has like 10 times that....so there is salt just not as much. You can use water softener salt pellets aamof. :)

Burp. Excuse me. To much Kungaloosh.

SWCG pools need a min of 3,000 ppm salt to function properly, the ocean has like 10 times that....so there is salt just not as much. You can use water softener salt pellets aamof. :)
Yes, this is what our HOA put in this year. You can taste salt if you happen to get any of the toilet...I mean POOL water in your mouth. Not nearly as salty as the ocean though. The water certainly does seem easier on the skin and hair....all five of my hairs in fact!

BUT, I guess the bottom line is, Disney did not go this route with the rehab of the Fort pool, so all the pee is still being killed with good old fashioned pool chemicals.

Salt water pools add about 1500.00 to a family sized pool. Not to bad when you only need to add salt sometimes. As far as chemicals go skip the rip off pool stores and go to the discount store and buy all the supplies you might need there. Some bleach, soda ash and something else I forgot. The only thing I've had to do was put some bleach in. If you stay away from the pool stores it's alot easier and a whole lot cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter