S/O..have you ever had a thread go south on you?

I think you're right, it has become sort of a joke to say, "It must be regional". But I do think it's true pretty often. An example I can think of off the top of my head is about animal regulations. Basically, they vary by state. So what can be true for one poster's dog keeping can be very untrue for another's. Same with many other laws and customs, etc. Some of my favorite threads here of all time have been about some of the regional differences here in the U.S. I have lived in one state all my life, so I find them pretty fascinating. I also like to see, if it's a subject I'm interested in, how it works where I live. Probably a nerd that way, lol.

I've gotten points for starring out a word like this (****), for starting a thread that wasn't "family friendly", and another poster and I both got points for arguing with eachother. :crutches: :laughing: (Hey, sometimes we all lose our stuff.) So I do try to avoid doing those things when I can now, haha. (IRL, no way! I love a good debate! And I'm not above using colorful language or talking about taboo subjects!) As far as what got people points goes, often, I think, from my observations, it's personal insults. You can argue/discuss/debate a point, but you can't throw personal insults in, such as "You're a racist" or "Your views are racist". (Something we see here very often, particularly from one or two people.) I think it's sort of a challenge to present your viewpoint intelligently, and without hurling personal insults. (And there are many posters here who do this really well! I think you do a good job of it, too, Mackenzie! Even if you get a little "wordy" sometimes, like I do, too!)
The only points I've ever received were for starring out a word and "circumventing the filter." It wasn't even a bad word, just one as a new poster to the CB I thought some might be offended by and I couldn't think of different one. I see it ALL the time though and find myself wondering if all those people are actually getting points for it. I kind of felt at the time they were just putting a newbie "in check."

I think you're right, it has become sort of a joke to say, "It must be regional". But I do think it's true pretty often. An example I can think of off the top of my head is about animal regulations. Basically, they vary by state. So what can be true for one poster's dog keeping can be very untrue for another's. Same with many other laws and customs, etc. Some of my favorite threads here of all time have been about some of the regional differences here in the U.S. I have lived in one state all my life, so I find them pretty fascinating. I also like to see, if it's a subject I'm interested in, how it works where I live. Probably a nerd that way, lol.
I'm like that too. It's very intriguing the way things are done elsewhere.

I've gotten points for starring out a word like this (****), for starting a thread that wasn't "family friendly", and another poster and I both got points for arguing with eachother. :crutches: :laughing: (Hey, sometimes we all lose our stuff.) So I do try to avoid doing those things when I can now, haha. (IRL, no way! I love a good debate!) As far as what got people points goes, often, I think, from my observations, it's personal insults. You can argue/discuss/debate a point, but you can't throw personal insults in, such as "You're a racist" or "Your views are racist". (Something we see here very often, particularly from one or two people.) I think it's sort of a challenge to present your viewpoint intelligently, and without hurling personal insults. (And there are many posters here who do this really well! I think you do a good job of it, too, Mackenzie! Even if you get a little "wordy" sometimes, like I do, too!)
Well I really appreciate your kind words Pea-n-Me!

You're right I am wordy lol..that part matches me in real life. I don't go off on a multi-paragraph post (that has length to it) on the "News Round up" thread for example. It's not conducive for that and there are multiple threads that are that way. Then there are threads where it's easier to do that.

And the thing is with the exception of just a few posters, I may not agree with you on one thread even multiple threads and I may not like how you treat another poster or how you've treated me as a poster on some other thread but that doesn't mean I won't interact with you on some other thread (general you not actually you). Some people though are just spiteful. I had one time that I can recall where a poster and me disagreed on one thread and then because of that they went to another thread and 'liked' a person's post simply because that person and I were in a discussion and it was within a few mins of each other. They never commented on the thread at all they only 'liked' that one post..it was pretty clear they were trying to "stick it to me"...I would call that petty to say the least.

Of course I have. Never started a thread to intentionally rile up the masses, but I've had a few turn into doozies. And I've gotten points and warnings for stuff too...sometimes deservedly so and sometimes I was left scratching my head.

And there's little question that some of the "hottest" threads are those that are controversial in some way!

Post a thread about something "nice" and it may not even get any replies.

I used to be in a forum where I knew most people personally. The ones who were the strongest, loudest, most strident and argumentative were quiet folks in real life with no hint of an argumentative nature. I would never have dreamed they would be what they were on the forums.
I agree, and always find it intriguing when many people here say they are very introverted in real life.

The only points I've ever received were for starring out a word and "circumventing the filter." It wasn't even a bad word, just one as a new poster to the CB I thought some might be offended by and I couldn't think of different one. I see it ALL the time though and find myself wondering if all those people are actually getting points for it. I kind of felt at the time they were just putting a newbie "in check."
See and one time I didn't spell out the word but used it's first letter and a moderator advised me they changed it to all stars. They mentioned circumventing the filter and then I responded back that was def. not what I was trying to do (I wasn't assigned pts though). Interesting how they changed mine to stars but gave you points for staring the word :confused3

"What would you do," "Am I overreacting?" and "I am so angry..." threads never end well.
In nearly every situation also ones where people want Disney to give them something (like free hopper tickets, etc) when they've had something go bad or what they perceive is bad. There have been a few times though that asking for something was well received by other posters and it was because the situation was so bad a compensation was the absolute least Disney should have done.

I agree, and always find it intriguing when many people here say they are very introverted in real life.
I think part of it is people are worried about how the conflict would affect them long term. If you have a coworker/friend that says they're going to have their 11yo say they're 10 to get the child age on tickets at Disney (I can't remember the exact age breakpoint), how emphatically would you (general) tell them "that's stealing". Try the same here.

See and one time I didn't spell out the word but used it's first letter and a moderator advised me they changed it to all stars. They mentioned circumventing the filter and then I responded back that was def. not what I was trying to do (I wasn't assigned pts though). Interesting how they changed mine to stars but gave you points for staring the word :confused3
I did that once, used the first letter of a word and *'d the rest. I think I got points for that one for circumventing the filter. For some reason, it makes more sense to TPTB to fully type out a filtered word than to put in one letter and * the rest.

I explained that I was just trying not to offend and hadn't purposely meant to break a rule I was unaware of. They did not care, lol.

This brings up the question, are those people truly argumentative or truly quiet? While I'm sure there are people posting just to cause arguments (some might accuse me of doing so), sometimes people do need to be called out for how they act/what they say. But often we are too "peaceful" (for lack of a better word) IRL to say what we really think.

I'll give you a prime example... I think it's ridiculous that people will claim their pets are "therapy" animals so they can take them anywhere. I have no problem saying that online. However, a family I know just adapted a puppy. The day they picked up the puppy, they said they were going to have him declared a therapy dog so they can take him on road trips and hotels can't charge them more for having a pet. Of course, I kept quiet. I wanted to say something, but I'm going to be dealing with this family in person and don't want to "rock the boat".

Very true.

But in the cases of the people I knew - one of them flat out told me he found it entertaining to have endless debates. Now that I'm mostly a forum reader - I get it. As a forum admin trying to keep the peace and facilitate a friendly atmosphere, these "fun" arguments resulted in multiple sleepless nights, having to think about (and type out) endless lengthy posts and endless mod meetings. And more and more and MORE rules as everyone got sticky about how "so-and-so was allowed to say that - this is NOT fair!". And of course, getting painted as the bad guy no matter what I did. Of course, I was new at it back then so would probably (hopefully) handle it more smoothly now.

Hmm.....I think there have been some things I have said that people got upset about, but not something I actually started. And then there were a few people back in the day who kind of trolled around to be mean, they are long gone.

And points? Well, I have gotten a few. One for a Santa thread gone bad.....shocking I know!

Yes. When I was first here about 7 years ago, I dared to suggest that Disney consider having varying ticket prices for varying times of year. I practically had my head bitten off for that.

On the up side, you're demonstrating just the sort of thinking Disney is looking for in its top execs!:p

I think part of it is people are worried about how the conflict would affect them long term. If you have a coworker/friend that says they're going to have their 11yo say they're 10 to get the child age on tickets at Disney (I can't remember the exact age breakpoint), how emphatically would you (general) tell them "that's stealing". Try the same here.

I did that once, used the first letter of a word and *'d the rest. I think I got points for that one for circumventing the filter. For some reason, it makes more sense to TPTB to fully type out a filtered word than to put in one letter and * the rest.

I explained that I was just trying not to offend and hadn't purposely meant to break a rule I was unaware of. They did not care, lol.

I've also gotten points for trying to circumvent the filter. The thread was "have you ever mispoke?" or something like that, & I was trying to tell about the time I accidentally said one word instead of another while interviewing a job candidate. And I typed the first letter of the word & then starred out the rest.

In real life, I wouldn't say the word, & I certainly wasn't going to type it out either. I tried explaining, but, although the moderator who gave me points was nice, it didn't matter.

And I was mortified! LOL! I'm the girl who never even got one demerit in high school.

Regarding threads going downhill, the only I can recall w/ me personally starting was the one where I was asking advice about specific dog breeds as a first-time dog owner. I think the posters on the thread were a little unnecessarily hard on me & there were some posts that bordered on attacking, but I think I held my own okay & I stayed polite. I was also grateful for some really good advice I was given as well.

In real life, I am an introvert. Online, I will sometimes find myself in an argument, but I still try to politely argue and/or defend my point w/ graciousness.

Not really here on the DISboards, but, in other places, I'm shocked at what some people will post - just the vulgarity & meanness. Surely we can't all be this rude in real life? I commented once on a Facebook post of a political commentator. Another person didn't agree w/ me, & she replied to my comment w/ some cursing & told me she I hoped I ended up raped and killed. Seriously?!

Once for me. On a good day, I have difficulty expressing myself in writing as it is, and at that time, add in pregnant, hormonal, and overwhelmed. I needed to vent about something and was a bit surprised later to find out that most people thought I was mean and horrible. I realized later that I should have thought through and explained more in my original post, and I tried that, only to be accused of backtracking and twisting my words. I gave up and didn't bother to even look at the responses after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter