S/O..have you ever had a thread go south on you?

kimblebee

now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents
Reading the latest YAGE thread made me think back to a few of my threads that ended up going places I never expected. One was so bad, it got locked!

Maybe others are more cynical (or realistic) but when I post a thread I am looking for actual discussion and I don't give a thought as to how it could be taken the wrong way.

So, have you had a thread that makes you read the replies and go huh?

IME, more go off the rail than don't. At times, it's really frustrating. That's especially true, when it goes OT, before you've really gotten a good answer. Other times the question has been answered many times over, so it's no big deal.

Not anything I'd describe as seriously "going south", though I think I've had a couple debate threads get locked. Those are the fun ones! :laughing:

I think there was only one where I felt that I was being misinterpreted, and I spent a fair bit of time playing whack-a-mole with various accusations. But, I also remember that was the one where people actually helped out, pointing out to the more irritated posters my various clarifications/explanations and supporting me. So, I have a good feeling about that thread, overall.

I always review my posts with an eye to spotting how they could be taken the wrong way. Sometimes I still miss stuff, but I think I catch it more often than not. It doesn't mean I don't want actual discussion. It just means I want to ensure people understand what I'm asking, and where I'm coming from. So, for example, I don't end up carelessly using a word like "confronted" and having people thinking my husband's a controlling bully. ;)

I'd recommend you do the same. It's never fun to be blindsided by something like that.

Take the time to say what you mean, and always make sure you mean what you say. :hippie:

Never a thread because I don't start them here. But comments taken out of context or assumptions made? Oh yeah. No matter how careful I try to word things or as neutral as I try to be there are times when someone will just keep hammering away. That's the risk you take posting on the CB though.

On another (pretty salty, mostly female) anonymous forum I'm on, I posted a mini rant about how my sister wouldn't buy my niece a laptop for college. (There is some context here, including the fact that my sister typically dotes on my niece, but hates technology.) My sister and I are estranged. I mentioned in my rant I wanted to buy my niece a laptop partially to annoy my sister (and obviously so the niece would have a laptop for college!)

This really rubbed people the wrong way. I don't remember why, and honestly I don't *understand* why or else I never would have posted it (and I would probably remember why I got flamed). I think maybe people took it as me bragging about being able to buy a laptop? Or maybe just one of those things where anytime you interfere with other people's parenting it causes WWIII. I really just thought new college students *need* a laptop at this point?

Maybe I'll get flamed again now to remind me. :)

But generally I never, ever post rants, or post asking for personal advice. Either way you will get flamed by some percentage of responders.

The Internet brings out the absolute worst in everyone now and it makes me incredibly sad. We are a nation of trolls behind screens. I'm occasionally guilty of it myself, but I'm trying to be better.

Never a thread because I don't start them here. But comments taken out of context or assumptions made? Oh yeah. No matter how careful I try to word things or as neutral as I try to be there are times when someone will just keep hammering away. That's the risk you take posting on the CB though.
Or posting in any forum.

I got points years and years ago for a reply that someone else made to a thread I started. Still trying to figure that one out. I've always found discussion to be healthy and educational. Some others do not.

I got points years and years ago for a reply that someone else made to a thread I started. Still trying to figure that one out. I've always found discussion to be healthy and educational. Some others do not.

Points? Heh. Guess I missed that era.

I've gotten warnings on some forums, including here, for calling out other people on being trolls.

They have, without exception, always turned out to be trolls. But one thing trolls like to do is report you for calling them trolls. :)

Or posting in any forum.
Well, sure, to a certain extent but I've been a member of some mom forums that were absolutely brutal and still don't hold a candle to some of the things I've seen go down on the DIS CB.

Most of the time my threads go south.

In particular my irrationally bothered thread. I asked posters what things bothered them that were irrational like me despising clapping and fake wood. Very few posters did this and instead wrote things that bothered them that were perfectly legit. I cried buckets of big salty tears over that.

Another was in regards to my favourite pair of jeans (RIP) and the urgency just wasn't recognised :sad2:

I'm sure there are plenty more examples. I rarely post threads anymore because I feel there is too much of a language barrier between the DIS and myself and I can't get to the US more than once every 18 months or so to practice.

@kimblebee wasn't that epic thread you speak of the one you told us about? The one that was not only locked but deleted. I wish I could have read it ;)

Points? Heh. Guess I missed that era.

I've gotten warnings on some forums, including here, for calling out other people on being trolls.

They have, without exception, always turned out to be trolls. But one thing trolls like to do is report you for calling them trolls. :)

You haven't lived until you've had points awarded.

I'm on some television forums that almost never have flame wars, it's pretty nice. They have good moderation though and you really can't get away with personal attacks. It makes a huge difference. They just finally had to do the no politics rule, though, unless the show in question is overtly political.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter