S/O - do you attend Pride events?

As an ally, I'm helping organize what we hope will be our town's first Pride event next June! I haven't been to another event/parade yet, but I hope to.

We probably won't have been able to fund raise enough for a parade (closing the main street runs around $10k), so we plan to start with a sidewalk-type event and work our way up to a parade in the future. Many of the local businesses are extremely supportive, which is wonderful, especially as there are a number of vocal LGBTQ+phobics on our town's unofficial FB page. I deleted my membership a couple of years ago when it got like that.

Luvthatduke, it's awesome that you show your support for our country and the military. Our family has attended and even participated in Memorial Day parades, through Scouting, through the years. As Amberpi mentioned, the two aren't mutually exclusive, and of course, there are many LGBTQ+ members of the military and who are vets.

That said, I support Pride by not voting for people who actively support groups who advocate murder, "re-education," or removal of basic human rights for queer people.

This is how I support as well. I do not tend to attend any kind of event as I find them overwhelming. I do what I can from the sidelines I guess you could say. I woudl never vote for anyone who suggested that taking civil liberties for anyone is acceptable, and I choose to vote and support those who not only say the right words but have followed up by workin on legislation to expand equality and safety for all of us.
I don't care what someone says he or she stands for at election time. What did you do? That's what I look for.

I haven't not because I don't want to, but because I'm overwhelmed by the logistics. I'm not a fan of bid parades, but my town has small parades for July 4th, Veteran's and Christmas and I enjoy those. If/when our town ever has one, I would attend.

I changed churches in 2018 and my new church is very welcoming to all (as opposed to my old church which is definitely not). New church marches in the pride parade here with a banner proclaiming God's love for all. I was out of town this year but plan to attend in the future.

My family doesn't enjoy these events. We like to show our pride in our country and our veterans.

What an odd non-sequator. What does one have to do with the other?

We'll be going this weekend to our small-town's first pride parade. Our church is one of the sponsors, so I'll know a lot of people who will be walking in it, so that should be fun!
My husband is also driving the fire truck in our town's fourth of July parade, so that should be a lot of fun, too. (Just in case someone somehow thought going to a Pride parade one weekend meant you couldn't be in a patriotic parade the next...)

Last edited:
I do not, but I support from afar. I cannot do big crowds like that. Not sure how I handle WDW and such, but I get SO claustrophobic and anxious in large crowd, noisy situations. It gets worse as I age, too. It's fantastic :rolleyes:

I don't have anything against them or what they represent, but generally speaking I don't go to any protests or whatever. If I want to make my voice heard, I contact my representatives. I don't like crowds or traffic.

I completely understand about crowds and traffic. I dislike them more and more the older I get. I'm not sure though how pride parades equate to protests though. 🤔 The one I went to was more like an outdoor party than anything else. It was probably the most fun parade I've ever been to.

Yeah, Pride parades are not protests, they are celebrations. Lots of fun and flashy outfits, dancing, awesome music, color, that kind of thing.

Today I went to Roosevelt Island here in NYC and they have turned the steps at Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Park into a huge Pride flag! It looks awesome!

D92QRjIW4AAo-pp

We do the festival and party, but not the parade. I have never liked parades of any kind and that doesn't change just because I support the cause. Austin's Pride Fest isn't until August, however, so we have a while longer to wait.

Yeah, Pride parades are not protests, they are celebrations. Lots of fun and flashy outfits, dancing, awesome music, color, that kind of thing.

Today I went to Roosevelt Island here in NYC and they have turned the steps at Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Park into a huge Pride flag! It looks awesome!

D92QRjIW4AAo-pp

Pretty!

The local NYC, ABC news announced that the World Pride Parade on Sun will kick off with a LGBTQ MOTORCYCLE & ATV procession! :moped: :moped::moped::moped::moped::moped: They've been doing it that way for a few years now. One guy who's attended or driven it said that as the motorcycles get down to the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, the streets really get narrow and the motorcycles have to ride close together. With their mufflers blaring, horns blasting, and the crowd cheering, :rainbow::rainbow: the sound is deafening with celebration! Live LOUD & PROUD our LGBTQ+ community!

The Stonewall Inn is now part of a national monument honoring LGBTQ civil rights. :thumbsup2

Embedded in the epoxy base of the new Village crosswalk at 7th Ave & Christopher St are U.S. pennies from 1969, along with a Stonewall 50 logo enamel pin.

I hope the parade route goes over the new colorful crosswalk. That would be bad planning if the parade somehow skirts by the crosswalk. :headache:

"And here they come over the parade finish line!
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal

Unfortunately, way over there is the new colorful crosswalk they don't go over."
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal

Painting the new rainbow color, LGBTQ crosswalk:

screen-shot-2019-06-23-at-7.21.24-am.png

prideAP_19174099219894.jpg

Last edited:
The smallish town that I live in doesn't have a parade but we do have a yearly event with booths and music and such. I attend that every year, and help staff a booth for our church, but now I'm thinking that maybe I'm missing out on some fun. Maybe I'll make plans to travel to some of the larger cities parades around me.

We just got back from a vacation that brought us to Seattle for a few days, it was incredible to see all of the pride displays seemingly everywhere I looked.

I'm not sure though how pride parades equate to protests though. 🤔

Oh, you know, that's a great point. Although OP said "Pride event". Locally, I don't think we had a parade. Maybe it is a party? I'm not sure.

I have family and friends in the LGBT+ community. I should go. Maybe next year.

Chicago here, so it's a BIG deal. DD has gone to the parade with her friend's family (BFF's older brother is gay) and they LOVE it.

This year there is a big push on the "free hugs" and "I'll be your mom today and hug you" platform, and I think it would be really awesome to go down and support people like that :lovestruc

Princes William & Harry have always been open supporters of the LGBTQ+ movement and go to charitable events for them, although they & the royal family never really mention the word "gay." Today, Prince William as at an LGBTQ+ event and a person asked him how he'd feel if one of his children turn out to be gay.

Prince William said he's fully support his children if they are LGBTQ+. :yay: :thumbsup2 Although, as a parent, he'd be concerned for them as there is still so much hatred & animosity toward these people. And being in the royal family, steeped in all that tradition, there may be even more criticism against them.

And that continual hatred against this community is one of the reasons WHY the world needs these Pride events. 🌈 :grouphug: 🏳️‍🌈

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter