S/O carry on etiquette

What is your opinion on the overhead bin space

• Backpacks/personal items should ALWAYS go under the seat

Votes: 65 40.9%
  • Backpacks/personal items should go under the seat if bin space becomes scarce.

Votes: 42 26.4%
  • I packed light so that I would have the leg space, my packpack is going in the overhead

Votes: 40 25.2%
  • Other - just because we need an other

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters
Which brings up another question... do bulkhead passengers get TWO spots in the overhead since they don't have a seat in front of them?

MANY planes (especially the smaller ones) don't have enough bin space for one per seat.
Actually I think if you sit in bulkhead you do so knowing that you give up the underseat space. I've never seen anyone convincingly claim ignorance of who gets what space.

Which brings up another question... do bulkhead passengers get TWO spots in the overhead since they don't have a seat in front of them?
Yes. And generally those seats are in the section which is one of the first on board so you don't have the problem of people in the back putting their luggage in the overhead bins of seats further to the front. I've noticed most flight attendants being more vigilant about people not doing that - to the point that one time there were bags in a bin where there was NO ONE in any of the seats close to it and the flight attendant asked whose it was and when no one claimed it, I saw the FA look at the ID tag on there and then a moment later the FA at the front asked "Will the following passengers please ring their flight attendant button?" and they did, so their luggage was delivered to them at their seats.

I don't know (other than they don't want to spend the extra money) why people who need the extra leg room don't book the bulkhead seats. As of now, there are still bulkhead seats available for my upcoming flights between EWR and SNA.

Most of the newer larger planes do have the overhead bins where luggage goes in on its side and much more can fit there.

The biggest hissy fit I've ever seen was a guy leaving WDW who was one of those pushing their WDW time as much as possible and was the last one to come sprinting onto the plane - and of course had a light saber which there was no room for. He went into meltdown because it HAD to go overhead. I think someone finally volunteered to check their bag just so he would shut up. But for sure if you know you have something you can't check, get your butt to the airport in plenty of time so you board with your group.

Actually I think if you sit in bulkhead you do so knowing that you give up the underseat space.

You give up the underseat space, but I've never had an issue putting both my bags up above me.

You give up the underseat space, but I've never had an issue putting both my bags up above me.
On SW the flight attendants typically "hold" the bins right above the bulkhead seats just for those sitting in that row. It still can get cramped depending on how much stuff people have, but at least there's a dedicated space for them since they have to put everything up in the bin.

On SW the flight attendants typically "hold" the bins right above the bulkhead seats just for those sitting in that row. It still can get cramped depending on how much stuff people have, but at least there's a dedicated space for them since they have to put everything up in the bin.

Yeah, I've been flying United more as of late, but they do seem to be extra vigilant about the bins over the bulkhead seats and making sure no one sitting elsewhere pops something in there. At least until we're almost done boarding - then if someone in the bulkhead seats hasn't shown up yet and others need space, then and only then will they put other bags up there.

We fly quite frequently within the US as our son is competing in his chosen sport. We never check his helmet or race gear just in case it doesn’t arrive so he has his backpack, helmet bag and a carryon suitcase. To counteract this the remaining 3 of us only ever carry a backpack so as a family we aren’t using more space then we should.

The passengers behaving badly thread took a drift into the topic of overhead bin space and I was wondering what everyone else thought about this.

Passenger A has a 21 inch rollerboard and a backpack and plans to put the backpack under the seat - as they should.

Passenger B values their leg space and only brought a backpack and plans to use their allotted overhead bin space for the backpack.

The bins fill up and it looks like some bags may end up being gate checked. Should passenger B have to give up their legroom even though the backpack is taking up less bin space than the rollerboard? Is giving up the space the right thing to do so that other passengers don't get gate checked?
I think each. person has the right to put 1 thing in the overhead no matter what it is. If you have more than 1, then the other should go under your seat. I know this is how they say to do it, but there's no one policing it so I'm sure it gets abused.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I always CHECK my bag, then bring on a backpack with things I will want on the plane or can't live without should the bag get lost, and that goes under the seat so I have easy access to it. I DO NOT USE the overhead bin because I just don't want to be part of the problem. IMHO, if everyone else did this, flights would depart on time - but no, we get far too many people carrying overstuffed rollers onto the plane, that then take FOR-EV-ER to get crammed into the overhead, then take a second FOR-EV-ER to get dislodged when we land, not to mention people getting clocked in the head, or dude clogging up the aisle because their bag ended up rows away from their actual seat, and, gosh darnit, they are just far too important to wait until everyone else is off the plane before retrieving their bag.

God bless the flight attendants - I am pretty sure I would lose it on a daily basis watching all that go down every flight.
I don't know waiting an hour or an hour and a half for my checked luggage doesn't sound appealing to me either nor getting damaged luggage (and luggage is not made the way it used to be). As much as it's annoying when people take too long to get off the plane it's never anywhere close to how long we wait for checked luggage.

I don't see issues when boarding planes for time as most often it's just people getting situated in their seats.

But also it would have been nice if I didn't feel like I needed to spend $$$ to get trackers because airlines are getting so bad in keeping track of people's luggage. I went through countless flights before ever feeling like I needed to get one...until last year.

My daughter went to Europe for 10 days in May with just a carry on, and the only concern she ran into was when a Flight Attendant moved it around in an overhead bin and comments how heavy it was. My daughter says it was not only within the size requirements, but was one of the smallest in the bin. Wonder if airlines will ever put weight restrictions on carry ons?
Usually the international carriers are the ones more likely to or it's a location dependent rules (usually international destinations).

We just flew Air France and theirs is 26lbs total between carry on and personal item for Economy and I believe Premium Economy. British Airlines was 51lbs.

Most if they say something though will say you need to be able to lift it without aid.

I feel like it's a catch 22, old luggage was heavier on the empty weight but made better overall, newer luggage lighter but not necessarily made as well. My normal carry on I've had since 2006 and it's been through a lot. It's nearly 9 lbs empty. Contrast that with my newer slightly smaller carry on which is less than half that weight but I guarantee you is much more flimsy. Our large checked luggage is already falling apart (one of the wheels is) from 2018 and it hasn't been used all that much and weighs about 10.5 lbs and was a replacement from a damaged by the airline luggage only 2 years prior. It's why you've seen come out light weight luggage as a desired feature, even hard sided is trying to get that lighter component but it's a fine line between lower empty weight and durability.

Or the passenger who thinks they get the space under their actual seat (behind their feet). Bulkhead passengers are known to try this as they often board early. Though I or a family member has had this happen further back as well. I have literally taken someone's stuff out of my (foot) area and handed it back to them, while they looked at me like I was crazy. That's just tacky.
Never seen that for a bulkhead and we just flew where we could see the bulkheads with two different airlines and two different destinations. Have never witnessed that on SWA either for that first row. If something occurs it's that the passenger thinks they can still have something at their feet when they can't. Not sure I'd blame bulkhead passengers for putting something under the seat behind them rather than just assume it's a certain type of person who would do that even if they weren't in a bulkhead.

Usually the international carriers are the ones more likely to or it's a location dependent rules (usually international destinations).

We just flew Air France and theirs is 26lbs total between carry on and personal item for Economy and I believe Premium Economy. British Airlines was 51lbs.

Most if they say something though will say you need to be able to lift it without aid.

I feel like it's a catch 22, old luggage was heavier on the empty weight but made better overall, newer luggage lighter but not necessarily made as well. My normal carry on I've had since 2006 and it's been through a lot. It's nearly 9 lbs empty. Contrast that with my newer slightly smaller carry on which is less than half that weight but I guarantee you is much more flimsy. Our large checked luggage is already falling apart (one of the wheels is) from 2018 and it hasn't been used all that much and weighs about 10.5 lbs and was a replacement from a damaged by the airline luggage only 2 years prior. It's why you've seen come out light weight luggage as a desired feature, even hard sided is trying to get that lighter component but it's a fine line between lower empty weight and durability.
It was Delta. I looked, except for flights to Singapore and China, there are no weight limits on carryon luggage, other than the passenger has to be strong enough to lift the carryon into the overhead bin themselves.

Some airlines charge for checked bags. That contributes to overstuffed overhead bins. If I have to pay for a checked bag, you better believe my crap is going to be carried on.

For Southwest in particular (2 free checked bags) there is no reason to be cramming those huge carryons up in the overhead bins.

I think most/all airlines that charge for checked bags, will waive that charge if they are requiring you to gate check simply because it's a full flight / full bins.

Quick weekend trips where all my crap fits in an easy to carry small duffel do make flying so very easy...

Some airlines charge for checked bags. That contributes to overstuffed overhead bins. If I have to pay for a checked bag, you better believe my crap is going to be carried on.

For Southwest in particular (2 free checked bags) there is no reason to be cramming those huge carryons up in the overhead bins.

I think most/all airlines that charge for checked bags, will waive that charge if they are requiring you to gate check simply because it's a full flight / full bins.

Quick weekend trips where all my crap fits in an easy to carry small duffel do make flying so very easy...
My daughter had connecting flights from the U.K. to Germany on an small airline I have never heard of and she had to pay a fee for her CARRY ON bags. Both the bag and her purse.

It was Delta. I looked, except for flights to Singapore and China, there are no weight limits on carryon luggage, other than the passenger has to be strong enough to lift the carryon into the overhead bin themselves.
I understand..just answering your question about "Wonder if airlines will ever put weight restrictions on carry ons?" The answer is some already do but they are usually international ones.

The FA was probably thinking about if the carry on was able to be fully handled without aid for your daughter. That doesn't necessarily go just by weight but also size and not necessarily meaning big it could also just be odd shaped. And I was discussing empty weight because it doesn't necessarily mean a passenger is overloading their bag. In reality a weight restriction would be more for the airlines fuel efficiency rather than passengers being able to handle their own luggage. A 30lb bag can be just as hard as a 20lb bag depending on the person.

In the past people may have not checked more for the fees (I know we were like that too not wanting to spend the money) but that doesn't seem to be the main issue. Not when you have the increase in unbundled airfare where carry ons are either not allowed or cost something. Distrust in the handling of one's bag and distrust that the bag will make it to the final destination are one of the biggest reasons people give for not checking a bag and you only have to look at the numerous stories on that one.

SWA however is an anomaly IMO as it steadily has just been a carrier that even with 2 free checked bags people tend to not check in as great of numbers and I don't think that's due to the reasons I listed above. Just seems to be how it's been with SWA. But it's a good marketing and PR opportunity for SWA to be able to say they include those in the fare, makes for a good comparison tool to be able to say "now make sure you're including in checked bags if you're looking at other airlines".

I understand..just answering your question about "Wonder if airlines will ever put weight restrictions on carry ons?" The answer is some already do but they are usually international ones.

The FA was probably thinking about if the carry on was able to be fully handled without aid for your daughter. That doesn't necessarily go just by weight but also size and not necessarily meaning big it could also just be odd shaped. And I was discussing empty weight because it doesn't necessarily mean a passenger is overloading their bag. In reality a weight restriction would be more for the airlines fuel efficiency rather than passengers being able to handle their own luggage. A 30lb bag can be just as hard as a 20lb bag depending on the person.
Since my daughter put it in the bin.....the FA was moving it......and she traveled all over Germany on trains....it was manageable for her. And it was basically a tote bag, soft sided, and physically smaller than what was allowed.

Since my daughter put it in the bin.....the FA was moving it......and she traveled all over Germany on trains....it was manageable for her. And it was basically a tote bag, soft sided, and physically smaller than what was allowed.
I wasn't calling into question anything 🤦‍♀️ Like I said "the FA..." it was in response to you saying the FA mentioning how heavy it was. Okay moving on :)

Yes. The only time I've had the gate agents say there would be a charge was if the bag wouldn't fit in the overhead bin (this was just a regular plane where standard sized would fit - not the little puddle jumpers where pretty much everyone has to gate check) because of its size OR if it was oversized based on the sizer (and yes, we all had to size our luggage). Granted it was pretty obvious that there were a couple of bags that somehow got through TSA but were clearly bigger than carry-on size.

I had one flight to MCO from JFK once where because of the airline, bags that had their extender zippers open wouldn't fit into the overhead bins and they announced that any bag with its extender opened would be tagged and gate checked. LOTS of sitting on suitcases and rolling around on them trying to be able to zip that extender closed and/or shifting things to other bags so that the extender zipper could be closed. And yeah, a few weren't successful and they were super strict about it. They even held them at the door to the jetway and the baggage handlers came up the jetway to get them once we'd boarded (we were boarding early) so that people wouldn't try to sneak them on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter