• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rust Belt Road Trip (2 UPDATES--1/18)

She brought the kids each their own PEZ dispenser (Winnie the Pooh, Batman, and Mater), which was very sweet and thoughtful of her.
PEZ- located in Orange CT!

And we had a blast at dinner. I mentioned to her that the people I've met on the DISBoards have been incredible and wonderful people. Haven't found an exception to that rule yet.
:thumbsup2

IMG_2788.jpg

Looks like a fun evening! DISers are the best! ::yes::

We had yet another terrific DIS-meet this past weekend. My family and I were able to have dinner with Mary Ellen (MEK) at our local Friendly's restaurant. I had noticed from her tag that she lived in the Middletown, DE area. Since I do as well, I figured it would be kind of stupid for us not to get together and say hi.

:thumbsup2

Ohhhhh Mark…

Bet you can’t guess what I was able to get a hold of?

Five different ones for that matter…
Once I get home and can put them up to a sharing site, I’ll send you a PM with the links.

:woohoo::cool1::banana:

Very cool! Please do send the info along! And thanks.

Well… ‘cause Andy threw down a gauntlet over in mine and now I need to add a chunk to a bonus feature over there and write up the actual chapter on our first foray into the Big Apple. After that… well… ya’ never know.

Well, I guess I'll have to stay tuned (and so will everyone else).

I had the best time meeting you guys!!!!! Thanks for dinner.

We loved meeting you too!

Julie is lovely and the kids are great!

And I was...there. :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

I still can't get over the fact that you literally live 10 minutes from me. :cool1:

:thumbsup2 We get pizza from Little Italy just down the road from you all the time.

Is it OK if I "steal" the pic and post it on my TR too?

Absolutely!

PEZ- located in Orange CT!

I did not know that.

Looks like a fun evening! DISers are the best! ::yes::

Absolutely! :thumbsup2

:cool2:

Well, we're finally here. The end of the report. I've noticed that many of you who work on Trip Reports find yourself dragging your feet when you get to the end, and I'm the same way. Writing a trip report is a way of keeping the memories of the vacation alive, and when you post that final chapter, you're closing the door. No more stories to tell.

It feels like especially poor timing when you finish in the dead of winter, the consensus choice as the Absolute Worst Time of Year.

This road trip was a bit of a departure for us. We knew that we wanted to take the kids to see what the country has to offer (and we also have that completely arbitrary goal of trying to get to all 50 states). But we'd never attempted a road trip this long, with so many stops and miles and nights in different hotels. We'd been waiting for the kids to get old enough that they would start to be able to appreciate sightseeing, and thought they were finally ready, but weren't sure how well they'd hold up with all of those hours in the van.

Here's what we ended up learning on this trip:

1. The kids were more than ready. They've always traveled well, but they were terrific surviving long hours in close quarters. Kids take their cues from their parents over so many things, and I think the fact that we were excited to travel set the tone. We've tried to raise them to enjoy exploring the world. It also helped to plan activities that they would enjoy, based on their interests, rather than just looking out for mom and dad and dragging them along. The license-plate game, DVD player, and giant bucket of cheese balls were also instrumental in our success.

2. There's so much to see in this country. Even states you normally wouldn't think of as big tourist attractions have something to offer. Both Chicago and Louisville won special places in our hearts, but I can't think of a single place we visited that made us regret the time we spent there.

3. You people are amazing. We met up with a couple of our old friends on this trip and had a blast. But the vast majority of people we spent time with were folks from the DISBoards whom we'd never actually met in person before. Not even 10 years ago, we'd never have dreamed of meeting people like this. Even more amazing, every person we met with was incredibly kind, fun, hospitable and generous. I was floored at how many of you showed up bearing gifts for my kids, treated us to meals, gave up family time, took off early from work, or even gave an entire weekend just to spend time with us. It's a bit of a risk meeting someone on the internet. I think we can all acknowledge that. But I think it was well worth it. It's an amazing feeling to know people who are scattered across the country. It's even better to think of them as lifelong friends. Thank you to each one of you who took the time to meet us.

4. If we didn't get to meet you for whatever reason (coughAndycough) or still need to find a way to meet you, let's get to work!

I mentioned this in another trip report--we're keenly aware that the time we have together as a family is limited. My little girl is about to turn 10 next month--over halfway to college. When did that happen? All 3 of my kids are now in school full-time. I remember thinking it would take forever to get to that point. Now I'm wondering why it came so soon, and can barely remember what they looked like as babies. All I have are the memories.

3%252520Stooges.JPG

P1010713.JPG

P1040078.JPG

P1020533.JPG

These trips are important because that's where the memories are made. The shared experiences are what they'll remember the most. It took me a while to figure out that trying something new is not to be feared, but embraced. If you love it, you've got a great new experience to share. And if you hate it, you've more than likely got a great story to tell. These are the times your family will look back on and cherish.

I hope that if you've ever thought about trying to see the country but hesitated for whatever reason, you'll decide to go for it. It is absolutely worth the time and effort--both for the scenery and the people. Adventure is out there!

With that being said, it's time to plan the next adventure!

We were invited by good friends to travel with them this summer. One of them is a native of South Carolina and wanted to show off some of his favorite haunts. We had been talking about traveling together for a while, so we decided to take them up on the offer, and rent a place in Pawleys Island, SC.

It's a beach community just south of the Myrtle Beach area. We've vacationed in Myrtle Beach before and know it fairly well. We'll do a little of this:

P1030441.JPG

Some of this (PASTY WHITE GUY ALERT!):

P1030144.JPG

A little of this:

P1030259.JPG

And who knows? Maybe even see this:

P1030076%252520rotated.JPG

I'm hoping to catch dinner at my favorite local place: TBonz Gill & Grill

We get a little restless just sitting in one place for very long, so we're hoping to do a day trip to Charleston, SC. We'd like to visit Fort Sumter, where the first shots were fired in the U.S. Civil War.

And Patriots Point would give us the chance to tour an actual aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown. Hopefully we'll also get a chance to wander the city itself. Any tips on what else we should see?

We may also get to squeeze in a couple of DIS-meets, if all goes well--Marv (marvali) and Rob (GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes)?

There is a secret second portion of the trip as well. I'll let you in on it if you don't tell anyone. As you know, we want to get to all 50 states with the kids. If you remember our map, you'll know that they haven't been in Georgia yet (we flew to WDW). So Julie and I thought about this...

:scratchin

...and figured, well, if we're going to be in SC, it's not much further to cross into Georgia. Then we thought...

...if we're going to drive into Georgia, it's not that much further to Florida. We could even take the kids to the oldest settlement in the U.S., St. Augustine. There they could tour the Castillo de San Marcos.

Then we thought some more. If we're going to be in Florida...

:idea:

Wouldn't it be cool to completely surprise the kids with a few days at Disney World?

::yes::

We can't afford a whole week there after a week in SC. But the idea of a surprise WDW trip was too fun to pass up. We'll be heading down in July, so we know the crowds will be huge. Our plan is to spend maybe 2 days in the parks, concentrating on things we haven't seen yet (like the new Star Tours ride). With judicious use of FastPasses, anything else will be a bonus. We're also hoping to do a day at Typhoon Lagoon, since we haven't tried the water parks yet. Maybe Monday, early in the week.

We had a little pixie dust spread on our plans as well. I was talking to a friend about our plans and mentioned we didn't know where we'd stay yet. I said that our dream was to spend a couple of days at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but that wouldn't happen because Disney refuses to build hotel rooms that can hold more than 4 people and don't require a 2nd mortgage.

This is when our friend decided to become our Mysterious Benefactor.

Our Mysterious Benefactor is a member of DVC...and it just so happens that he has some points he can't use next year. Maybe, just maybe we could help each other out...

First, he checked with his Budget Committee to get approval. Then, after some phone calls on the 7-months-out date, it became official.

akllobby.jpg

We're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in Kidani Village! :woohoo:

(I know, that photo is from Jambo House. Sue me.)

I cannot thank our Mysterious Benefactor and Budget Committee enough for making this happen for us. We never thought we'd be able to stay there, and these friends are making it possible. You have saved our lives! We are eternally grateful!

Our plan is not to say anything to the kids. We'll simply leave Pawleys Island and turn left instead of right. We think they'll figure something out along the way, but how cool would it be for them to first realize it when we pass under the WDW gates?

So, that's the plan. We'll come back, as always, with a full report.

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel. There's a lot of other drivel out there, and the fact that you chose to indulge in mine means a great deal to me. As I said in the previous post, I'm honored to have you as friends.

Coming Up Next: If she has time, Julie will do an add-on mini-TR here about her trip to California with Sarah to see the Rose Bowl Parade. So you'll get to hear from an intelligent writer for a change! :thumbsup2

We had yet another terrific DIS-meet this past weekend. My family and I were able to have dinner with Mary Ellen (MEK) at our local Friendly's restaurant. I had noticed from her tag that she lived in the Middletown, DE area. Since I do as well, I figured it would be kind of stupid for us not to get together and say hi.

Naturally, I am prone to do stupid things, but in this case we got in touch and had a great time together. Mary Ellen was just coming from a rehearsal for local theater doing a show in which she sings and plays both the guitar and flute (I think?). Now that I think about it, she may have said the accordion. I'll have to ask her. In any case, she has many talents.

She brought the kids each their own PEZ dispenser (Winnie the Pooh, Batman, and Mater), which was very sweet and thoughtful of her. And we had a blast at dinner. I mentioned to her that the people I've met on the DISBoards have been incredible and wonderful people. Haven't found an exception to that rule yet.

Thanks for meeting up with us Mary Ellen!

As always, pictures or it didn't happen:

IMG_2788.jpg

I am so jealous that you got to meet Mary Ellen. Great picture of your fab kids and you and MEK!

Well, we're finally here. The end of the report. I've noticed that many of you who work on Trip Reports find yourself dragging your feet when you get to the end, and I'm the same way. Writing a trip report is a way of keeping the memories of the vacation alive, and when you post that final chapter, you're closing the door. No more stories to tell.

It feels like especially poor timing when you finish in the dead of winter, the consensus choice as the Absolute Worst Time of Year.

This road trip was a bit of a departure for us. We knew that we wanted to take the kids to see what the country has to offer (and we also have that completely arbitrary goal of trying to get to all 50 states). But we'd never attempted a road trip this long, with so many stops and miles and nights in different hotels. We'd been waiting for the kids to get old enough that they would start to be able to appreciate sightseeing, and thought they were finally ready, but weren't sure how well they'd hold up with all of those hours in the van.

Here's what we ended up learning on this trip:

1. The kids were more than ready. They've always traveled well, but they were terrific surviving long hours in close quarters. Kids take their cues from their parents over so many things, and I think the fact that we were excited to travel set the tone. We've tried to raise them to enjoy exploring the world. It also helped to plan activities that they would enjoy, based on their interests, rather than just looking out for mom and dad and dragging them along. The license-plate game, DVD player, and giant bucket of cheese balls were also instrumental in our success.

2. There's so much to see in this country. Even states you normally wouldn't think of as big tourist attractions have something to offer. Both Chicago and Louisville won special places in our hearts, but I can't think of a single place we visited that made us regret the time we spent there.

3. You people are amazing. We met up with a couple of our old friends on this trip and had a blast. But the vast majority of people we spent time with were folks from the DISBoards whom we'd never actually met in person before. Not even 10 years ago, we'd never have dreamed of meeting people like this. Even more amazing, every person we met with was incredibly kind, fun, hospitable and generous. I was floored at how many of you showed up bearing gifts for my kids, treated us to meals, gave up family time, took off early from work, or even gave an entire weekend just to spend time with us. It's a bit of a risk meeting someone on the internet. I think we can all acknowledge that. But I think it was well worth it. It's an amazing feeling to know people who are scattered across the country. It's even better to think of them as lifelong friends. Thank you to each one of you who took the time to meet us.

4. If we didn't get to meet you for whatever reason (coughAndycough) or still need to find a way to meet you, let's get to work!

I mentioned this in another trip report--we're keenly aware that the time we have together as a family is limited. My little girl is about to turn 10 next month--over halfway to college. When did that happen? All 3 of my kids are now in school full-time. I remember thinking it would take forever to get to that point. Now I'm wondering why it came so soon, and can barely remember what they looked like as babies. All I have are the memories.

3%252520Stooges.JPG

P1010713.JPG

P1040078.JPG

P1020533.JPG

These trips are important because that's where the memories are made. The shared experiences are what they'll remember the most. It took me a while to figure out that trying something new is not to be feared, but embraced. If you love it, you've got a great new experience to share. And if you hate it, you've more than likely got a great story to tell. These are the times your family will look back on and cherish.

I hope that if you've ever thought about trying to see the country but hesitated for whatever reason, you'll decide to go for it. It is absolutely worth the time and effort--both for the scenery and the people. Adventure is out there!

Well, it is a good thing that everyone around me at the office is at lunch because I started reading this and started crying. What a beautiful and eloquent way you put your trip into words, Mark.

Let me just add that it was my pleasure to meet you and your wonderful sons. I hope some day that I will have the opportunity to meet the head of the family and your beautiful daughter.

And I love the look back over the year pictures of the kids. :)

We were invited by good friends to travel with them this summer. One of them is a native of South Carolina and wanted to show off some of his favorite haunts. We had been talking about traveling together for a while, so we decided to take them up on the offer, and rent a place in Pawleys Island, SC.

It's a beach community just south of the Myrtle Beach area. We've vacationed in Myrtle Beach before and know it fairly well. We'll do a little of this:

P1030441.JPG

P1030144.JPG

A little of this:

P1030259.JPG

And who knows? Maybe even see this:

P1030076%252520rotated.JPG

I'm hoping to catch dinner at my favorite local place: TBonz Gill & Grill

We get a little restless just sitting in one place for very long, so we're hoping to do a day trip to Charleston, SC. We'd like to visit Fort Sumter, where the first shots were fired in the U.S. Civil War.

And Patriots Point would give us the chance to tour an actual aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown. Hopefully we'll also get a chance to wander the city itself. Any tips on what else we should see?

We may also get to squeeze in a couple of DIS-meets, if all goes well--Marv (marvali) and Rob (GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes)?

There is a secret second portion of the trip as well. I'll let you in on it if you don't tell anyone. As you know, we want to get to all 50 states with the kids. If you remember our map, you'll know that they haven't been in Georgia yet (we flew to WDW). So Julie and I thought about this...

...and figured, well, if we're going to be in SC, it's not much further to cross into Georgia. Then we thought...

...if we're going to drive into Georgia, it's not that much further to Florida. We could even take the kids to the oldest settlement in the U.S., St. Augustine. There they could tour the Castillo de San Marcos.

Wouldn't it be cool to completely surprise the kids with a few days at Disney World?

We can't afford a whole week there after a week in SC. But the idea of a surprise WDW trip was too fun to pass up. We'll be heading down in July, so we know the crowds will be huge. Our plan is to spend maybe 2 days in the parks, concentrating on things we haven't seen yet (like the new Star Tours ride). With judicious use of FastPasses, anything else will be a bonus. We're also hoping to do a day at Typhoon Lagoon, since we haven't tried the water parks yet. Maybe Monday, early in the week.

We had a little pixie dust spread on our plans as well. I was talking to a friend about our plans and mentioned we didn't know where we'd stay yet. I said that our dream was to spend a couple of days at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but that wouldn't happen because Disney refuses to build hotel rooms that can hold more than 4 people and don't require a 2nd mortgage.

Our Mysterious Benefactor is a member of DVC...and it just so happens that he has some points he can't use next year. Maybe, just maybe we could help each other out...

First, he checked with his Budget Committee to get approval. Then, after some phone calls on the 7-months-out date, it became official.

akllobby.jpg

I cannot thank our Mysterious Benefactor and Budget Committee enough for making this happen for us. We never thought we'd be able to stay there, and these friends are making it possible. You have saved our lives! We are eternally grateful!

Our plan is not to say anything to the kids. We'll simply leave Pawleys Island and turn left instead of right. We think they'll figure something out along the way, but how cool would it be for them to first realize it when we pass under the WDW gates?

So, that's the plan. We'll come back, as always, with a full report.

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel. There's a lot of other drivel out there, and the fact that you chose to indulge in mine means a great deal to me. As I said in the previous post, I'm honored to have you as friends.

Coming Up Next: If she has time, Julie will do an add-on mini-TR here about her trip to California with Sarah to see the Rose Bowl Parade. So you'll get to hear from an intelligent writer for a change! :thumbsup2

And next year's trip sounds absolutely awesome. And what wonderful "benefactors" those friends of yours are. I knew I liked them. And we've been over 4th of July ourselves. If you plan things right, you'll still get a lot accomplished at the parks.

I can't wait for the next Captain TR. Thank you for sharing with us. :hug:

People thought we were crazy, but it was great! Sarah said her favorite part of the trip was spending time together as a family. :love:

I regret the ski lift. Not West Virginia. Just the ski life.

Thank you!!!! :hug:

All I have are the memories.

3%252520Stooges.JPG

P1010713.JPG

P1040078.JPG

P1020533.JPG

Ok....this just made me cry!!

Adventure is out there!

I think this is our new life motto!

P1030144.JPG

Only without the trip to the urgent care clinic, ok?

So Julie and I thought about this...

We're purdy smrt, huh?

We :love: our Our Mysterious Benefactor and his Budget Committee!!!!!

Place your bets now folks!! Who will notice first and when?

Shouldn't be a problem. I should be grading papers right now.....or folding:laundy: but here I sit.....

Wow - what a great summer trip!!!!! It sounds absolutely perfect especially considering that SC is now one of my new favorite places. You are going to love, love, love Charleston. OMG - I really want to move there. I used to tell Denny I wanted to go to Florida, but now its Charleston.

And what's not to love about a side trip to Saint Augustine. If we drive this summer I am definitely stopping there.

And Kidani....WOW! :cool1: I love Kidani. I seriously think that the AKL is my all time favorite resort because it is the one place I think I could hang, never leave, never go in a park, and still love it there. It is simply wonderfully relaxing and both pools are wonderful. I haven't been there since 09 and I really want to go back.

As far as South of the Border - well, eh em, just be prepared for thick southern accents and thin burgers and old fashioned french fries. You've got to stop in Pedros. I bet you could put the cheese balls right on the table and no one would even notice.

So what are the dates? PTR?

Great surprise for the kids. Awesome!

OH - and adorable baby pics!

Sorry for not checking back in on this thread... I've gotten used to the speed at which SOME DisDads trip reports get updated. Like mine.

it was great meeting your family, and I wish that our Saturday had been less booked up on the day you visited. My younger daughter, particularly, enjoyed running around the museum with your sons.

And, just for the record, I was not stalking you. Coincidence is my superpower. :thumbsup2

We had yet another terrific DIS-meet this past weekend. My family and I were able to have dinner with Mary Ellen (MEK) at our local Friendly's restaurant.

:yay:

Mary Ellen was just coming from a rehearsal for local theater doing a show in which she sings and plays both the guitar and flute (I think?).

I'd like to see her sing and play flute at the same time. Now that's talent!

Now that I think about it, she may have said the accordion.

Don't forget the knee cymbals. ;)

I mentioned to her that the people I've met on the DISBoards have been incredible and wonderful people. Haven't found an exception to that rule yet.

Me either!

Well, we're finally here. The end of the report.

Awww, rats.

I've noticed that many of you who work on Trip Reports find yourself dragging your feet when you get to the end, and I'm the same way.

It's true. We need a term for it.

Just wait...very shortly you'll be getting a rose at some Senior Night football game or something and wonder "what the heck just happened"?!

Well said!

Sounds awesome! One of our favorite restaurants in South Myrtle Beach is this little Italian buffet place --> Angelo's

Really awesome!

Super awesome!

Tremendously awesome!!! :banana:

My lawyer will be contacting you.

Thanks for taking the time to read my drivel. There's a lot of other drivel out there...

Hey! :mad: I resemble that remark.

popcorn::

The Afterschool Special Part

That… sir,
Was a very fine summation. Ya’ done good.
Thanks for letting us all ride along.

Adventure is out there!

Yep… and as soon as I can come up with both the cash and time…
I’m going out to look for it too.

You’re going to enjoy Pawleys Island. The best description I have for that spot on the map is serene.

While you’re there, you might also consider checking out Brookgreen Gardens if you’ve not already seen it.

http://www.brookgreen.org/

Depending on the exact dates and what’s happening at home and work… I’ll certainly try to make it happen.

There’s no good reason for y’all to be heading as far inland as the spot I call home, but if you’re ever heading down I-85 or I-77 for any reason, stop by my place. I’ve got an extra guest room and I’ll show you around. It ain’t as historic as Charleston, but there are a few interesting things to get into around here.

NASCAR Hall of Fame
Discovery Place
Knight’s Baseball
Reed Gold Mine Site & Museum
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Historic Brattonsville

…just to name a few.

We had a little pixie dust spread on our plans as well.

Congrats on finding a way to add a little bit o magic to the trip

Our Mysterious Benefactor and his Budget Committee

Very kind. Very kind indeend.

Coming Up Next: If she has time, Julie will do an add-on mini-TR here about her trip to California with Sarah to see the Rose Bowl Parade.

R-e-a-l-l-y looking forward to hearing more about this….

Would it be Scooby Doo style, where you unmask him/her at the end of the trip and yell "It's the old caretaker!"
Then he/she replies with "And I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those kids and that dog!"

Those meddling kids....

:rotfl2: At first I was wondering how you got a picture of my garage. ( I have the same opener) but then I never caught my kid on my van. Notice how I said caught?

All kidding aside - your sentiments are spot on and yes one day you will realize you youngest is about to go off to college. <sniff sniff>
I just put this in a card for an expectant mom at work.
The days may be long, but the years pass quickly. So true.

There’s no good reason for y’all to be heading as far inland as the spot I call home, but if you’re ever heading down I-85 or I-77 for any reason, stop by my place. I’ve got an extra guest room and I’ll show you around. It ain’t as historic as Charleston, but there are a few interesting things to get into around here.

NASCAR Hall of Fame
Discovery Place
Knight’s Baseball
Reed Gold Mine Site & Museum
Kings Mountain National Military Park
Historic Brattonsville

…just to name a few.

There's always Carowinds

Judging by your location and the sites you chose, you might be my neighbor.
I am guess you are probably between Marv and me. :confused3

Well dear Captain thanks for taking us along for the adventure.

We were fortunate to get to meet you along the way and your family was a joy to get to know (unfortunately for only a brief evening).

Your summer trip sounds like a blast, I can't wait to read all about it.

Also love the motto. That should be posted on a wall somewhere.

Well, we're finally here. The end of the report.
I hate to see it come to an end, but what a well-written TR it has been. Especially this last portion.

:rolleyes1 :sad2:

It took me a while to figure out that trying something new is not to be feared, but embraced. If you love it, you've got a great new experience to share. And if you hate it, you've more than likely got a great story to tell. These are the times your family will look back on and cherish.
I know it is the wrong thread, but MANLAW:thumbsup2

Well, it makes the end a little bit easier this way.:thumbsup2

And Patriots Point would give us the chance to tour an actual aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown.
I've been there! :banana: I'm sure you and your boys will love it. Julie and Sarah will probably tolerate it. :lmao:

Hmmm... so you might be meeting my nemesis... :rolleyes1

Absolutely! :thumbsup2:woohoo:

Our plan is to spend maybe 2 days in the parks, concentrating on things we haven't seen yet (like the new Star Tours ride). With judicious use of FastPasses, anything else will be a bonus. We're also hoping to do a day at Typhoon Lagoon, since we haven't tried the water parks yet. Maybe Monday, early in the week.
Looks like a fantastic plan to me!

:woohoo::banana::yay::cheer2:

I love that idea. I'm sure the reaction will be priceless.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us and allowing us to feel like part of the family. :thumbsup2

Oh, I really hope to read about this trip. :thumbsup2

People thought we were crazy, but it was great! Sarah said her favorite part of the trip was spending time together as a family. :love:
And that's what it is all about. :thumbsup2

Only without the trip to the urgent care clinic, ok?
Mark, what did you do?

Scotty. Probably about the time he finds out you'll be in Florida.

:rotfl2: At first I was wondering how you got a picture of my garage.

It looks a lot like my garage as well. I found myself hunting for the differences.
Beyond the boy sitting on top of the van that is…

There's always Carowinds

Judging by your location and the sites you chose, you might be my neighbor.
I am guess you are probably between Marv and me. :confused3

Price Point… I left off our ties to the NBA & NFL for the same reason, but…

Being an amusement park, and a fairly decent one for its size…
I’m glad you tossed it in.

Actually we live less then five miles from “C-Dub”, and only about three or so from the “current” Knights Castle.

You can make some up - we'll never know the difference.

We'd been waiting for the kids to get old enough that they would start to be able to appreciate sightseeing, and thought they were finally ready
It's a very narrow window between them being ready to go and them getting too busy with school or heading off to college when they can't go with you anymore. By the time Ryder is 10 (an arbitrary age where I think he is old enough to experience, enjoy, learn from and remember everything we do) Madison will be 17 and almost off to college. Family time is so short....that's why I'm wasting work time to read and comment on your trip report.

1. The kids were more than ready. They've always traveled well, but they were terrific surviving long hours in close quarters.
I didn't see any of them getting nervous twitches when we walked past the parking lot in Chicago. That was a good sign.

and giant bucket of cheese balls were also instrumental in our success.
No truer words have ever been said. Or typed.

2. There's so much to see in this country. Even states you normally wouldn't think of as big tourist attractions have something to offer.
Wisconsin is pretty cool, you know. :rolleyes1

Thank you to each one of you who took the time to meet us.
I'm glad we did it!

All 3 of my kids are now in school full-time. I remember thinking it would take forever to get to that point. Now I'm wondering why it came so soon, and can barely remember what they looked like as babies. All I have are the memories.
:sad1:
I've got to talk to the building supervisor about all the dust in my office....

(The pictures are adorable, by the way. You and Julie make cute kids)

Great wrap up, Mark. My fancy words would just pale in comparison to your fancy words, so I won't even try.

It is out there, you said so yourself.

:)

:eek:

:cool2:

That's better. The shades cut down on the glare.

And Patriots Point would give us the chance to tour an actual aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown.
That sounds awesome!

Yes, yes it would.

That really was just an off hand remark about Animal Kingdom, wasn't it? Amazing how things work out...

You're going to LOVE it there!*

(*not an actual guarantee. No refunds if you do, in fact, not love it)

If SOPA or PIPA become law, I could take the entire Disboards off the interwebs!

Our pleasure, Mark. Like I said before, we had those DVC points earmarked for a Hilton Head trip this spring, but with Ryder being due right about that time, that trip was canceled. Those points literally would have gone to waste if you didn't use them.

Oh, and for everyone else reading: "Mysterious Benefactor" may be a bit of a stretch. Mark is paying for this, dearly. He probably hasn't read the fine print on our agreement yet, but let's just say that if I ever need an organ, he'll be getting a visit from my "harvest team."

How cooler would it be if you get checked in to Animal Kingdom, see a giraffe walking by your window and hearing Scotty say "Hey, this isn't Delaware!"

I, for one, enjoy your drivel. :thumbsup2

Awesome!

:goodvibes:goodvibes

Can I vote Mark will notice last? I know it's a stretch, considering he's planning it and driving, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Also love the motto.
What's a motto?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter