Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

That weather looks perfect!
Unrelated but we had a yoga instructor come speak to our running group and it inspired me to start small with some *very* simple poses. I'm so inflexible I can barely do these but I want you to know your yoga advocacy helped sway me too!

Excellent!!! :-) For the record, I come from a long line of very inflexible people, so it took me several classes to start noticing a difference when I first started. So don't get discouraged, the benefits are numerous.

So far the weather looks good. Let’s hope it holds.
View attachment 442635

Looks like the big issue is going to be the wind. Weather underground is saying that the cold front coming in on Friday night is going to bring a fairly strong steady wind. So you might be looking at sustained 16-18 mph winds for the majority of the race. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. But if it does, just tuck into a group of people to help block the wind as much as possible.

Looks like the big issue is going to be the wind.

I saw that. I'm hoping most of the wind will be gone by then, but I guess I'll take wind over a cold rain.

But if it does, just tuck into a group of people to help block the wind as much as possible.

Hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a problem with 40,000 plus people around. :P

Leaving tomorrow morning, travelling with my 3 BFF's. We are driving to Michigan City, IN and then taking the train in - saves on parking big time. I am the only one running this weekend, so it may be a little challenging behaving myself when my friend's priorities are way naughtier than mine. :laughing: Fortunately we are staying until Monday, so I can let loose a bit after the marathon.

Tentative plan:

Friday - Expo
Saturday - International 5K (shake out run with bling)
Sunday - 26.2 :-)
Monday - Sleep in!

We have some dinner reservations, but I cannot remember where they are - my friend was in charge of that and she has good taste, so I let her run with it. She is also a marathoner, who ran Chicago last year, so she will be helpful to have around.

The rest of the time will be filled with lots of shopping I'm sure. We have all been to Chicago many times, so we don't feel the need to do all touristy things this time around.

I'm getting really excited now! :dogdance:

I'll post a full recap next week sometime.

I've been MIA from most of the journals for too long and I had to stop by that I am currently catching up on your journal. I am very excited for your big weekend plans and will track you during the race :) Excited to hear what the International 5k is like too!

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time in Chicago!!!

Thanks for tracking @roxymama !! Darn, I missed donuts on Roosevelt?!?! :P

I'm going to work on my race recap tonight. Short version: Official time was 5:13:27 - not my best, but not my worst. Overall I had a blast and this was my absolute favorite marathon EVER!!!!

Stay tuned...

Congrats and I'm so happy to hear that you loved it. Think you'll want to do it again? :)

At then end of Michigan when you get to the last .25 mile you can turn right and go up the hill and finish the race or you can go left and visit Stan's donuts. You picked correctly.

I once finished a shorter race that used similar ending route and then ran through the crowd after to get donuts and ran back holding the box. It was one of my finer moments.

Thanks for tracking @roxymama !! Darn, I missed donuts on Roosevelt?!?! :P

I'm going to work on my race recap tonight. Short version: Official time was 5:13:27 - not my best, but not my worst. Overall I had a blast and this was my absolute favorite marathon EVER!!!!

Stay tuned...

Congrats on a good finish!

Chicago Marathon Weekend - Part 1

Friday morning my friends (Shannon, Molly & Jenna) and I traveled by car to Michigan City, IN, parked for free, and then took the train into Chicago. We arrived around 2pm and checked into the Embassy Suites on Columbus. Just as I suspected, my friends priorities for this weekend were very different from mine, as evidenced by this picture: 😆

37ACEC2D-436A-4A31-A67F-5D1A1920B60B.jpeg

I wanted to get the expo done and out of the way, so I left them with their wine and headed out. I walked a few blocks to the Nike store on Michigan Ave and took the shuttle to the expo. It was busy, but manageable, and I was able to collect my bib & shirt fairly quickly. I also picked up my package from the March of Dimes, which included a charity race tank, a Run for Babies T-shirt, and a water bottle. I then spent some time shopping the Nike marathon merchandise. I ended up buying a blue Nike marathon sweatshirt and a pint glass. On my way out, I snapped a picture of this beauty at the runDisney booth:

FC5581AB-1434-49B8-B673-25BE827662F7.jpeg

That night we ate at Sweetwater and I behaved and only had 2 beers. On the way to dinner I snapped this picture (no filter):

4FE93ADD-C181-45F5-8B00-67300D704E8E.jpeg
Such a beautiful city!!

International 5K

I was up at the crack of dawn to get ready for the 5K. Shannon was originally going to run this one with me, but she's been battling injuries lately, so we agreed it's best for her to sit it out. I was glad I decided to run it because I needed to get some nervous energy out. :P

I arrived at the start and snapped some pics of the amazing architecture around me.
24FCD50D-C96B-46FD-A715-D2287A3A0F1E.jpeg

The start line was lined with the flags of all of the countries represented. Everyone had their countries flag on their bib.

119DF276-70E7-4E89-A915-210884D07B4D.jpeg

The course snaked through the city streets and ended in Grant Park. It was a good shake out run.

79A4A411-7DED-476A-A217-7D520A6FF45D.jpeg2704CFEC-6C2B-450A-8331-049180C274EF.jpeg

The medal is great and they also gave us a winter beanie hat, which I was thankful for that morning because it was cold.

132CBDF0-8C35-4E64-96F3-57CF19BF80D3.jpeg4868C94D-FA37-4000-BFBE-8381F43987A9.jpeg

We spent the rest of the day shopping. I ate a large lunch at an asian restaurant I don't remember the name of, and then I had pizza for dinner at the hotel restaurant.
7F17297D-0060-40F7-91C7-E3BC4588908B.jpeg

I would normally go for deep dish while in Chicago, but I knew that wouldn't sit well the night before a marathon, so I opted for a safer flatbread version with one beer. I was in bed at 9:30.

Next up: Marathon day!

Chicago Marathon Weekend - Part 1

Friday morning my friends (Shannon, Molly & Jenna) and I traveled by car to Michigan City, IN, parked for free, and then took the train into Chicago. We arrived around 2pm and checked into the Embassy Suites on Columbus. Just as I suspected, my friends priorities for this weekend were very different from mine, as evidenced by this picture: 😆

View attachment 444411

I wanted to get the expo done and out of the way, so I left them with their wine and headed out. I walked a few blocks to the Nike store on Michigan Ave and took the shuttle to the expo. It was busy, but manageable, and I was able to collect my bib & shirt fairly quickly. I also picked up my package from the March of Dimes, which included a charity race tank, a Run for Babies T-shirt, and a water bottle. I then spent some time shopping the Nike marathon merchandise. I ended up buying a blue Nike marathon sweatshirt and a pint glass. On my way out, I snapped a picture of this beauty at the runDisney booth:

View attachment 444412

That night we ate at Sweetwater and I behaved and only had 2 beers. On the way to dinner I snapped this picture (no filter):

View attachment 444410
Such a beautiful city!!

International 5K

I was up at the crack of dawn to get ready for the 5K. Shannon was originally going to run this one with me, but she's been battling injuries lately, so we agreed it's best for her to sit it out. I was glad I decided to run it because I needed to get some nervous energy out. :P

I arrived at the start and snapped some pics of the amazing architecture around me.
View attachment 444409

The start line was lined with the flags of all of the countries represented. Everyone had their countries flag on their bib.

View attachment 444408

The course snaked through the city streets and ended in Grant Park. It was a good shake out run.

View attachment 444406View attachment 444414

The medal is great and they also gave us a winter beanie hat, which I was thankful for that morning because it was cold.

View attachment 444402View attachment 444401

We spent the rest of the day shopping. I ate a large lunch at an asian restaurant I don't remember the name of, and then I had pizza for dinner at the hotel restaurant.
View attachment 444400

I would normally go for deep dish while in Chicago, but I knew that wouldn't sit well the night before a marathon, so I opted for a safer flatbread version with one beer. I was in bed at 9:30.

Next up: Marathon day!
How considerate of your friends that they had bananas for you before the race!

I'm intrigued by that 5k as I've never seen that specific route for races in Chicago. It's like a frankenbaby of other races.
Love that beanie too!

Chicago Marathon (Start to Mile 13)

I slept okay, not great, but that's pretty typical for me before big races. I actually woke up about 10 minutes before my alarm. I had my coffee, oatmeal, & banana and then got dressed. I opted not to wear the March of Dimes tank. The fit was just not quite right and I didn't really want to gamble with the possibility of it rubbing me the wrong way. So I decided to wear an outfit I've worn many times before to minimize chafing, and because there was wind in the forecast, I wore one of my buffs as a headband to keep my hair out of my eyes.

My friends walked with me to my gate, about a 1.5 mile walk from our hotel. Security is high and there are only 3 gates to get in to the race area, where only runners are allowed, so I said my goodbyes to my friends shortly after they snapped this picture of me (with my nervous smile).
6C560E31-BE7B-4654-91E0-D3CABE393E02.jpeg

I headed for the potties first thing and I was shocked at how long the lines were. I was regretting not getting there earlier.
21540564-3851-464F-BECA-4B40341262A9.jpeg

I waited for 23 minutes! This totally stressed me out because 1) I was hoping to pee at least twice before getting in my corral and 2) they were going to close my corral at 8:10 and I didn't get out of the potty until 8:01.

I sprinted to corral J and got in at 8:04. Phew! They were already moving everyone up and layers were being shedded.
18D9A13F-DA70-44BA-9977-04F6E963D02F.jpeg

As we got closer to the start, you could feel the excitement in the air. The announcer did a great job of getting everyone fired up - 45,000 runners! That number is crazy!

The weather was perfect with temps in the upper 40's, not much wind yet. My corral started at 8:35.
16DF5957-3A21-4C66-B6D9-1542D19B08A7.jpeg

Miles 1-4
The first mile I ran right past our hotel where my friends were cheering for me. All smiles!
4A8862EA-97F0-410C-B910-693ABDBDF686.jpeg

My Garmin was drunk from all of the tall buildings, just as I knew it would be, so I just ran at a comfortable pace early on. I made a conscious effort to conserve.

During mile 4, I made a quick pee stop because the lines were short. Shannon had warned me not to wait until the Lincoln Park area to pee because the lines get really long there.

So far everything was feeling good and I was loving the crowd support.

Miles 5-10
I didn't run with music and I didn't need to. With the spectators cheering and the lively aid stations, there was plenty of entertainment. There was so much to look at, and lots of music playing along the way. The Boystown area was so fun and I just had to stop and get a selfie with the queens.
E720898B-C757-4B18-97A2-2988B84D3651.jpeg

I can't believe how fast the first 10 miles went.
BD07B0A4-D62F-44F2-9083-75A0F7001207.jpeg

Miles 10-13
Still cruising along at my comfortable pace, still loving the crowds. Heading back into downtown.

B367416C-6FFC-4304-B20E-83AA73F38592.jpeg

I got a text from Shannon that said they were waiting for me between miles 12 & 13 and to stay on the left after I crossed the river. It was great seeing them and it gave me a little boost going into the second half of the race.

B4EFC997-4B5E-429F-AFCA-CEFE99F12F43.jpeg
B78EA00A-2F9E-4283-9FC5-44597366E56D.jpeg

to be continued...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!