Running and Racing and Dancing and Chasing: A 2017 Princess Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

:cloud9:Have to comment on the 10K before I start reading about the half :). I completely agree - that is my best distance. We have a late september 10K here at home and it's my very favorite race (with the exception of Disney races of course!).
The 2014 inaugural Princess 10K was my first runDisney race, and it was awesome! I still clearly remember running through a lit up Epcot, with "Someday My Prince Will Come" blasting on the speakers. :cloud9: Also, just a tip for any spectators, the boardwalk area was great for watching the race. My parents were staying at the Boardwalk, and were able to just walk right out the door and see me run past. Was very easy for me to pull off and grab quick hugs. Not sure you how you can access it if you're not staying there, but it was a good spot.
Abosolutely love the green plaid skirt for the half!! :thumbsup2.

Okay, now I get to read some more :dance3:

Hey, at least your first marathon will be in Disney! Good decision. ::yes::

Well, I signed up for a "practice" one in November - so second will be at Disney! Hopefully I like these things and don't hate myself for signing up :P

The race start was even delayed by a few minutes due to so many late arrivals, which I don't think has ever happened at any of the runDisney races I have participated in...or maybe it did happen once?

I wondered about this!

I was walking through the staging area by 4:30 today...like the previous 2 mornings, I just kept on walking. The start for the longer races is in a different location than the shorter races and requires about a 20-minute walk to get to!

Seriously, it took forever - I met with some people for a photo at like 4:50, and probably wouldn't have made it to my corral in time if they had really started on time. It was a close call - I will definitely be earlier next time!

Even though the mini waves were a little confusing, I'm definitely a fan - the first few miles didn't feel crowded at all!

This was so, so nice. I didn't really realize how nice it was until this past weekend. I ran a race where everyone just sort of took off at once, and it took so long before the course wasn't just a solid mass of people. I much prefer this method!

Yay for the 1/2! The mini waves seems like a good system to me. It's so hard when you start- but you don't really start for a mile or so because its so crowded! That's too bad the fireworks weren't going.
(unrelated- I got my first inknburn skirt yesterday with the sale! I'm so excited to try it out. I love the outfits you put together with your skirts!)

Ooooh Aaaaah your 10K medal pics are phenomenal!!! Seriously looks like the professional medal pics rD puts on FB (except better!). My new goal in life: to get medal photos as good as Ariel484! :worship:

Really stinks about your friend's race experience. I have talked up rD races to so many of my running friends (and managed to convince several to join me in WDW to run) and I'm always worried they won't love it as much as I do.

Boma breakfast looks amazing! We have only ever had dinner there (and always leave more than stuffed!). Also love Via Napoli - the cute waiters are a bonus :thumbsup2

Off to a great start on the half! I would have totally stopped for Maleficent and the Evil Queen - I love how "in character" they always are.

Just caught your trip report - Thanks for being part of the bus crowd cheering on those of us in corral F for the 5k! It was so fun to see all the runners with their medals already, actually quite motivating to think that'll be us in a little while! The port-o-potties were way better by the corrals - I think the one I used when we got there hadn't even been used yet! It was a little miracle!
Congrats on your 5K!! :yay: An unused porta potty is pretty great to find, that's for sure!
:cloud9:Have to comment on the 10K before I start reading about the half :). I completely agree - that is my best distance. We have a late september 10K here at home and it's my very favorite race (with the exception of Disney races of course!).
The 2014 inaugural Princess 10K was my first runDisney race, and it was awesome! I still clearly remember running through a lit up Epcot, with "Someday My Prince Will Come" blasting on the speakers. :cloud9: Also, just a tip for any spectators, the boardwalk area was great for watching the race. My parents were staying at the Boardwalk, and were able to just walk right out the door and see me run past. Was very easy for me to pull off and grab quick hugs. Not sure you how you can access it if you're not staying there, but it was a good spot.
Abosolutely love the green plaid skirt for the half!! :thumbsup2.

Okay, now I get to read some more :dance3:
Yes, they had princess music playing in Epcot when we were there, too! It was so awesome! It's just surreal to be there in the dark with the princess music playing. Love it so much!!
Well, I signed up for a "practice" one in November - so second will be at Disney! Hopefully I like these things and don't hate myself for signing up :P
Seriously, the marathon at WDW is something else. It's hard to really describe it. The training is the tough part, the race itself is awesome. And the feeling of becoming a marathoner is pretty great!
I wondered about this!
There's a story about this in another thread, I think about "what time do you set your alarm on race day." sounds like it was a mess!
Seriously, it took forever - I met with some people for a photo at like 4:50, and probably wouldn't have made it to my corral in time if they had really started on time. It was a close call - I will definitely be earlier next time!
That walk is a long one for sure! I think a lot of people don't realize just how long it actually is!
This was so, so nice. I didn't really realize how nice it was until this past weekend. I ran a race where everyone just sort of took off at once, and it took so long before the course wasn't just a solid mass of people. I much prefer this method!
It's so much better! I was confused because I couldn't really hear them, but the actual running part was great!
I love that the Half for Princess goes through MK, can't wait to see those shots!
Love running through the MK, nothing like it!!
Yay for the 1/2! The mini waves seems like a good system to me. It's so hard when you start- but you don't really start for a mile or so because its so crowded! That's too bad the fireworks weren't going.
(unrelated- I got my first inknburn skirt yesterday with the sale! I'm so excited to try it out. I love the outfits you put together with your skirts!)
I am a fan of the mini waves for sure. I felt like I had tons of room, and you can sort of see that in my earlier pictures - empty-ish course!

I hope you love your skirt!! Which one did you get?
I saw this today and thought of you and your race photos

View attachment 224836
I wish I were as cute as that basset hound!!
Ooooh Aaaaah your 10K medal pics are phenomenal!!! Seriously looks like the professional medal pics rD puts on FB (except better!). My new goal in life: to get medal photos as good as Ariel484! :worship:
Thanks!! :yay:
Really stinks about your friend's race experience. I have talked up rD races to so many of my running friends (and managed to convince several to join me in WDW to run) and I'm always worried they won't love it as much as I do.
Yeah, I felt bad for her! I think she got over it pretty quickly, but it stinks when it's something that you prepare for and anticipate for months and pay a decent amount for and it's just not what you thought it would be. :(
Boma breakfast looks amazing! We have only ever had dinner there (and always leave more than stuffed!). Also love Via Napoli - the cute waiters are a bonus :thumbsup2
We had some good eats on this trip for sure!!
Off to a great start on the half! I would have totally stopped for Maleficent and the Evil Queen - I love how "in character" they always are.
I totally would have as well if I hadn't already met them!! The line was nuts though!

2017 Princess Half Marathon! Part 3

Mile Marker 5 was just before the Magic Kingdom!

32326815274_e1f15d6ac8_z.jpg

32517196406_3b37a5b864.jpg

Running right down the middle of Main Street USA!

33156109166_0f1bb0c44b_z.jpg

Made the turn toward Tomorrowland and stopped for a pic!

33044496691_4dcab77173_z.jpg

32356812463_7ca90efdff_z.jpg

Buzz was out near the Lunching Pad and the Queen of Hearts was at the teacups (with @tigger536 waiting in line!). I passed them...but put the brakes on at Be Our Guest!

The line went alllll the way across the bridge. This is where I was when I got in line!
33172143595_45e6134305_z.jpg

33130562336_5138460fcd_z.jpg

About a 7-minute wait, but worth it! Gaston was also out in a separate location nearby, but I skipped him since I'd just met him the other day.

33172164495_7f90f5a0e3_z.jpg

Anna, Elsa and Kristoff were at the castle...
32326849114_15ea749a72_z.jpg

And the castle run was fun! Crowds were a little heavy by now, but not terrible!

33069987931_fce5376b12_z.jpg

The course then turns into Liberty Square (disappointing that there were no characters here!) and goes on into Frontierland. I stopped for a bathroom break in Frontierland (a real bathroom with no lines during a race...living the dream!). I lost a couple of minutes but it was the right call! Then I headed out to grab a picture with Woody!

What's with my face here? Ugh.

32789726720_a9ee695de1_z.jpg

New part of the course that I remembered from the marathon - up by Splash! Fun!

33069985981_62aca54967_z.jpg

A 30-minute mile! :rotfl2:

32326815164_8a2908bcf0_z.jpg

We headed backstage at Magic Kingdom...Cinderella and Charming were out, as well as Snow White and her Prince. HUGE line so I passed them up!

2017 Princess Half Marathon! Part 4

It was time for one of my least-favorite areas of the course - Cone Alley. It's basically a back road where we have just one lane to run. It is lined with cones on the right-hand side, hence the name Cone Alley. Just always crowded and a little boring. Zzzzzz. :rolleyes1

33130552996_4219c67c27_z.jpg

I spotted a character meet by the Grand Floridian, one I have passed up during past races - today was the day to stop! I waited behind maybe 10 people.

Oh it's a jolly holiday...with penguins!

33130566266_869aab1afc_z.jpg

33130569376_ea60eb7818_z.jpg

I think this is the stretch where the weekend, and lack of training, was really starting to catch up to me. :faint: I wouldn't say I hit the wall or anything, but I was definitely taking some longer and more frequent walk breaks by now! From a cardiovascular standpoint I felt okay, but I'd been doing non-weight bearing cardio over the last few weeks and my legs/feet were just not used to the pounding from running! The last 4-5 miles of this race seemed like they went on forever!

32789721470_41d9d833ce_z.jpg

We were now heading back down World Drive toward Epcot. I passed the pirates again (they'd moved to side of the road we were now running on) and hopped in line for the Heroes! John Smith was originally there too, but left shortly after I got in line. Hey John, could you not?

Captain Phoebus, though! Not one you see every day! And I'm not sure I've seen Prince Eric in this outfit…

33044496851_51be8432df_z.jpg

Long mile! And now time to climb an overpass!

32789729540_8ed89689fa_z.jpg

Sarge was here barking out orders to all of the runners - anyone caught slowing down had to do push-ups! I did not slow down. :eek:

I think this is the craziest picture from the day...really gives you a sense of how big this race is. This is everyone coming from Magic Kingdom, heading toward the overpass I'd just run up.

33172142675_a13b7fc140_z.jpg

33172149455_d8dacd7447_z.jpg

Mile Marker 11...slowly but surely getting closer!

33172158765_752a266aef_z.jpg

Check out this girl that was running in front of me - Taco Belle! I've seen this joke before and it still makes me laugh every time!

33172197905_64dea56f25_z.jpg

Up next - the finish!!

Last edited:
I feel like I'm running along side of you! You're doing great! Running thought MK looks like a blast! Someday I'll experience it! Lol! I'm not sure I told you that my BFF and I signed up for the full! I'm terrified and excited at the same time! Sarge scared me at W&D...I boogied up the overpass. Taco belle has me cracking up! You're almost there.....yay!

I love all the photos, I can't believe how many character meets there seemed to be on this course!! AND the PRINCES...swoon! Is this the same current 1/2 course as January? Which aspects have been varied? I think it's great that it's different than WnD!

Great shots with the characters! I love how they bring out rare 'princes' for that race as how often do you ever see that guy from Hunchback? I think only at races!

I feel like I'm running along side of you! You're doing great! Running thought MK looks like a blast! Someday I'll experience it! Lol! I'm not sure I told you that my BFF and I signed up for the full! I'm terrified and excited at the same time! Sarge scared me at W&D...I boogied up the overpass. Taco belle has me cracking up! You're almost there.....yay!
Running through MK is awesome, there's nothing like running down Main Street USA!

Ahhhh you will do so great at the marathon! It is my favorite runDisney race! If I had to just pick one race to run, that would be it. You'll have a blast!
I love all the photos, I can't believe how many character meets there seemed to be on this course!! AND the PRINCES...swoon! Is this the same current 1/2 course as January? Which aspects have been varied? I think it's great that it's different than WnD!
Yes, this is the same course as the January half course! They have been the same for year so I imagine they will continue to be the same. Going through New Fantasyland and up by Splash was different than the last time I have done this course, but they also did that for the marathon.

The interesting thing about Wine & Dine is that last 4.1ish miles of the new course ("the new course" = the 2016 Wine & Dine course) are exactly the same as this course - the Princess/January half. It's really obvious if you look at the maps side-by-side.
Great shots with the characters! I love how they bring out rare 'princes' for that race as how often do you ever see that guy from Hunchback? I think only at races!
This is the only time I have met him, I think! I know my BFF also has met him - but for her it was also during the Princess half! You may be right that he just comes out for races. :)

2017 Princess Half Marathon! Part 5

We headed up an incline before coming back down to find Mile Marker 12!! :banana:
32356807853_c343ba1895_z.jpg

YES! Back to Epcot! Such a great feeling to get to this point - last mile AND back in a park! :cool1:

31714212904_cdc5652688.jpg

Mushu was hanging out backstage!

32326868624_50209a30de_z.jpg

Hello, you glorious geodesic sphere!

33130541876_12c4eb32cf_z.jpg

Really glad I remembered the sunscreen this morning!

32815307590_7c61987ba6_z.jpg

I ran up to the Port of Entry and quickly pulled off to the side - Princess Daisy was walking away!! :sad: "DAISY WHYYYYYYY" I screamed (j/k).

The CM assured me she'd be right back, so I waited and was first in line when she returned!

33130554356_6e1048b783_z.jpg

Disney even put a topiary up to match my shirt, how thoughtful! :butterfly

From there, it was back toward Spaceship Earth...the elusive thumbs-up pose from me instead of the regular hands-up!
33041082602_48a31a3832_z.jpg

And out of the park...gospel choir! I wish I'd taken a selfie with them, I saw other runners doing it and the choir members would photobomb them...it was hilarious! Definitely doing that next time!

32326827014_24bab7a00f_z.jpg

And Mile Marker 13 a little further down!

33015629452_d9cb954e6e_z.jpg

And the finish!

33015645632_3c51a10306_z.jpg

Donald and Goofy were out but people weren't allowed to stop for pictures with them...I totally get this as they don’t want a bunch of people stopping at the finish line, because that would be a mess. A little disappointing though, because look at their great outfits! At least I have pictures with them in these outfits from PHM 2011!

Today, I settled for a high-five from my #1 duck. I love this picture! I look happy, no? :)

32815310150_e3f6a9af46_z.jpg

So happy to finish this one...the last 5 miles were a struggle! The race was less painful, but slower, than I'd expected. Overall, proud to have finished considering my less-than-ideal preparation for the weekend as a whole (which I DO NOT recommend! But better to go in undertrained than injured, so it’s what had to be done!) and very happy to be halfway to that pink Coast-to-Coast medal! And speaking of that Coast-to-Coast medal...I am more motivated than ever to be well-trained for Tink after slogging my way through these Princess races! :tinker:

Up next: the aftermath! :faint:

Yay!!! I loved reading your half recaps! So many thoughts...

I also walked almost straight to my corral (H) and waited there- I didn't realize they delayed the start until after the race. I would have been freaking out if I was late for the start! Your picture showing all of the runners is just crazy- I remember looking down and being amazed at all of the people. My run through the castle (and all of MK really), was not nearly as crowded as I expected, but your picture looks like there were more people and we were in MK at the same time (my mile 6 pic shows 1:34:48 on the clock), so I must have hit a weird empty spot. I really wish I would have stopped for a picture with the penguins- your penguin pose is so cute!

What an incredible run!! I love the different character set ups/backgrounds. So cool!! I imagine I will hit the 16 minute mile because I'll be wanting to stop for EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. This TR has me SO excited that I signed up for my first runDisney events!!

Okay, lots of catching up to do...

I'm not going to comment on the matching because my running clothing rarely matches :) (seriously ... yesterday's outfit was a badly mismatched collection of "whatever's going to keep me warm")

I'm sad to hear that K had such a bad experience at the race! I hate when people are not-very-nice at races ... we're all here to have a good time, why can't people just be nice! Believe me, I understand the desire to be at the front of the corral, but ... if you want to be in the front, get there early! We always try to get to the front ... but we only push as far as we can without being rude and/or interfering with other people. It's one thing to take up the available space. It's another thing entirely to push people out of the way. Sometimes you have to decide between spending time in the pre-race area and being in the front of the corral ... if you choose to spend time in the pre-race area (which I have no problem with - that's what I do mostly), then don't be surprised if you can't get to the front. Ugh.
Sorry, rant over.

Sounds like a wonderful time at Epcot. Glad to hear that your future is 100% okay!

Okay, what is up with the no fireworks for each corral thing? That's at least 75% of why I do these races (okay, that's not actually true). I am not a fan.

Sounds like there were some nice characters out at the half. You made some excellent stop choices - that wait for the Beast is definitely worth it! And Woody and the Penguins and the heroes and Mushu (Mushu!) and Princess Daisy... all excellent stops! I love that you're doing the penguin hands in the penguin picture!
(I just realized that the only part of race recaps that I seem to pay attention to is characters. I think that says a lot about my runDisney race strategy...)

Taco Belle. It's really never not funny.

I love that Disney had a special topiary up to match your butterfly outfit theme - very cool!

Your Donald Duck high-five finish line picture is amazing. Such a big smile ... you really look like you're having the time of your life!

Congratulations on another great race!! :thumbsup2 Looks like it was absolutely beautiful weather. Love that you got character meets with Beast and Mushu - I don't think either of them were on the course in 2015. But, what happened to all the princes??? We had Aladdin, Hercules, Prince Eric, Flynn Rider, Phoebus and John Smith. Wonder if they cut down, or if they were just taking breaks when you hit them :( Still a great shot though!!

Thanks so much for sharing your report! :goodvibes

Yay!!! I loved reading your half recaps! So many thoughts...

I also walked almost straight to my corral (H) and waited there- I didn't realize they delayed the start until after the race. I would have been freaking out if I was late for the start! Your picture showing all of the runners is just crazy- I remember looking down and being amazed at all of the people. My run through the castle (and all of MK really), was not nearly as crowded as I expected, but your picture looks like there were more people and we were in MK at the same time (my mile 6 pic shows 1:34:48 on the clock), so I must have hit a weird empty spot. I really wish I would have stopped for a picture with the penguins- your penguin pose is so cute!
Weird! We must have bee really close together. I know what you mean about the weird empty spots, I feel like I hit those once in awhile, too.
What an incredible run!! I love the different character set ups/backgrounds. So cool!! I imagine I will hit the 16 minute mile because I'll be wanting to stop for EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. This TR has me SO excited that I signed up for my first runDisney events!!
Yeah, I wasn't right at 16:00/mile...but I was close!! :faint: I try to be a little choosy with who I stop for (i.e. I skipped Buzz in the MK because I don't feel he is very rare) but it's hard to pass some of the photo-ops up!
Okay, lots of catching up to do...

I'm not going to comment on the matching because my running clothing rarely matches :) (seriously ... yesterday's outfit was a badly mismatched collection of "whatever's going to keep me warm")
Hey, whatever works. Especially when it's tundra-like outside.
I'm sad to hear that K had such a bad experience at the race! I hate when people are not-very-nice at races ... we're all here to have a good time, why can't people just be nice! Believe me, I understand the desire to be at the front of the corral, but ... if you want to be in the front, get there early! We always try to get to the front ... but we only push as far as we can without being rude and/or interfering with other people. It's one thing to take up the available space. It's another thing entirely to push people out of the way. Sometimes you have to decide between spending time in the pre-race area and being in the front of the corral ... if you choose to spend time in the pre-race area (which I have no problem with - that's what I do mostly), then don't be surprised if you can't get to the front. Ugh.
Sorry, rant over.
You are preaching to the choir. I don't understand the entitlement that is on display sometimes. It's so annoying.
Sounds like a wonderful time at Epcot. Glad to hear that your future is 100% okay!
Me too, what a relief!
Okay, what is up with the no fireworks for each corral thing? That's at least 75% of why I do these races (okay, that's not actually true). I am not a fan.
Arg, I don't know!! I was bummed!
Sounds like there were some nice characters out at the half. You made some excellent stop choices - that wait for the Beast is definitely worth it! And Woody and the Penguins and the heroes and Mushu (Mushu!) and Princess Daisy... all excellent stops! I love that you're doing the penguin hands in the penguin picture!
(I just realized that the only part of race recaps that I seem to pay attention to is characters. I think that says a lot about my runDisney race strategy...)
Yeah, I had met the Beast before but it was back in 2011 and I think his outfit is a little snazzier now. So I was happy with that one!!

The characters are basically why I do these things, soooo...:teeth:
Taco Belle. It's really never not funny.
Exactly. ::yes::
I love that Disney had a special topiary up to match your butterfly outfit theme - very cool!
It was quite magical! :wizard:
Your Donald Duck high-five finish line picture is amazing. Such a big smile ... you really look like you're having the time of your life!
Yeah at first I was a little sad that I didn't get a clear shot crossing the finish line, but I think this one is so much better! And I totally was having the time of my life. :lovestruc
Congratulations on another great race!! :thumbsup2 Looks like it was absolutely beautiful weather. Love that you got character meets with Beast and Mushu - I don't think either of them were on the course in 2015. But, what happened to all the princes??? We had Aladdin, Hercules, Prince Eric, Flynn Rider, Phoebus and John Smith. Wonder if they cut down, or if they were just taking breaks when you hit them :( Still a great shot though!!
Thanks! They don't keep the character line-up exactly the same from year-to-year so I'm not surprised to hear that you saw some differences from 2015! John Smith was out when I got there but went in for a break a couple of people before me. When I made this stop in 2011 it was Prince Eric, Tarzan, John Smith, Flynn and Aladdin. I haven't met Hercules yet!! He's on my "stop for" list whenever I see him!
Thanks so much for sharing your report! :goodvibes
Thanks for reading! :)
Hooray! You did it and looking great! Here's to Tink! You've got this! :thumbsup2
Hooray! :tinker: Dang I hope so!! Less distractions at Tink since so much of it is outside the parks![/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter