Run Disney Costs

gzh6464

Mouseketeer
Considering running the Disney races.

Shocked at the entry costs....OK understand it's disney but....

What's even more shocking (maybe not because its Disney) is they don't offer any discount for doing multiple races so those who do either Goofy or Dopey pay similar prices as if you registered for each individual race alone (5k $85, 10k $125, half $188, full marathon $188 (cant believe half and full are the same) or a total of $586.....dopey is $585....guess you get 2 "free Tshirts and 2 medals", Goofy is actually $385 and if you registered for the half and full separately it would be $376....so there they are making you pay in part for the extra goofy medal and T shirt)

Another genius Disney marketing strategy. Set up cones, form a track on your property, and charge ridiculous prices to do it.

And of course people turn out in droves.

Prices are insane. And yet I continue to run them. :D

It's like anything with Disney. People pay outrageous prices for hotel rooms and food too. It's basic economics. They charge what the market will bear and thus far, although the races aren't selling out like they used to, they don't have problems selling tens of thousands of registrations at those prices, so there is no real incentive to reduce.

I have heard that there are some discounted rates out there now though for some of the January races through travel agents.

Another genius Disney marketing strategy. Set up cones, form a track on your property, and charge ridiculous prices to do it.

If you go back and look at the history of runDisney (previously the Disney endurance series) you will find that the original drive to do this wasn’t marketing and filling rooms. Back in 1994 it was about creating a world renowned endurance event. Today it most definitely is more about filling rooms.

Riding the bus to the w&d half I was thinking about it as I watched all these charter busses pull in. When you think of all the busses, county sheriffs, state patrol, rented traffic cones, porta potties and all the other support, shirts and medals, these races aren't cheap to put on even doing it on their own property.

I realize other races that have to close city streets have similar expenses minus all the busses or at least a lot fewer of them, and they have lower entry fees but Disney has always been more fun which is why I'm ok with the extra cost.

Actually it's substantially more than that. Disney from what I've seen has to maintain medical coverage and they provide entertainment on the course. While the cost is high it's actually not ridiculously high when comparing other large events. The NY marathon entry fee was $295, Chicago $205, Marine Corps is $170. For a large scale event like this logistics is a big deal. Disney is lucky in that they have transportation partly in place but they have to contract additional buses for resorts shuttles to the expo and to/from the finish line.

If you go back and look at the history of runDisney (previously the Disney endurance series) you will find that the original drive to do this wasn’t marketing and filling rooms. Back in 1994 it was about creating a world renowned endurance event. Today it most definitely is more about filling rooms.

I thought in Jim Hills discussion of it that while they did want to create world class events the big driver back in the late 90s was filling rooms in the off season. I only started doing runDisney races in 2011 but even at that time the parks were much less crowded during marathon weekend.

I thought in Jim Hills discussion of it that while they did want to create world class events the big driver back in the late 90s was filling rooms in the off season. I only started doing runDisney races in 2011 but even at that time the parks were much less crowded during marathon weekend.
The add on events yes are to fill rooms but back in 1994 when there was only the marathon the objective was not to fill rooms. The race field was only a couple thousand because they didn’t think it would sell out and it did. Today Disney has four major race weekends at WDW simply to bring people to the resort. The events have grown so much to help draw more people.

The events are overpriced IMO. I used to do races yearly but now I rarely do them. I'd much rather do another Florida race and then add on a few days at Disney. I did the W&D this year and it is the first race for me since marathon weekend 2011. I expect Disney to be more expensive than other races but the amount over other races they are is terrible. I also don't like how little of their entry fee goes towards charity as opposed to the bottom line of a billion dollar company but that is my own dislike of for-profit races.

There are better events that cost a fraction of the price of a Run Disney event within an hour drive. I've been doing those for the past handful of years and find it a much better experience.

I doubt if many people think the medals and shirts for challenges are free. Of course you pay for them. Why wouldn’t you?

Riding the bus to the w&d half I was thinking about it as I watched all these charter busses pull in. When you think of all the busses, county sheriffs, state patrol, rented traffic cones, porta potties and all the other support, shirts and medals, these races aren't cheap to put on even doing it on their own property.

Yep. I’ve done that early morning math, too. Just the diesel costs alone just be staggering.

I also don't like how little of their entry fee goes towards charity

Why do you think any goes to it?

They used to state that some went to charity but it hasn’t been that way in ages. It’s clear from the website that the charitable part is all about exposure, not money.

Can’t remember what it switched, but I’ve only been doing rundisney since TOT 2013. Sometime after that is when the wording changed.

I also don't like how little of their entry fee goes towards charity as opposed to the bottom line of a billion dollar company but that is my own dislike of for-profit races.

I find this kinda funny just because it shows how different runners can be - I prefer for-profit races over races for charity because in my experience, the for-profit races spend more money on making a good experience for the runners (although I do agree that for what they charge, Disney could be better about this), whereas races for charity sometimes don't create as great of a race experience because the focus is more on the charity. I do occasionally do races that benefit charities, but I don't go out of my way to do them. But that's also partially my personal philosophy of "if you want to give money to charity, give money to charity - what do you need some event for?"

I think runDisney is just the Disney philosophy of "if you can charge more, charge more." I do find the race weekends to be a good experience, maybe not fully worth what they charge, but certainly close enough for me to keep paying. But that's just me. YMMV.

Thought on this discussion:
DH ran the 1994 marathon, and all but 4 marathons since. While it may have been meant to put on a world-class endurance event, it was also to fill rooms at a particularly slack time of year. The resorts and parks were so “empty” that at times they even offered a free Monday ticket to all runners (thus requiring family members to buy theirs).

As far as charity giving, am I wrong, or did I hear an announcement from the stage at W&D of the amount of money Disney was donating to Second Harvest? It seems like it was in the xx,xxx range. My fleeting thought was, “They could do more.”

I love Disney race weekends. We are registered for Goofy and all 3 Star Wars runs. At 63, I have decided no more marathons after January. The intense training is getting too hard and long (and slowing) runs are just not fun anymore, but I will continue halfs and less for a little longer. My point is that our running ability has a “shelf life.” Consider your finances, your time allotment, and your enjoyment to decide if Disney races are for you. It is now something DH and I do together, and is worth the price to us.

As far as charity giving, am I wrong, or did I hear an announcement from the stage at W&D of the amount of money Disney was donating to Second Harvest? It seems like it was in the xx,xxx range. My fleeting thought was, “They could do more.”
They did give a donation to Second Harvest. I forget the amount by agree it could have been more. They said it was on top of the amount people were giving through their registration.

Donation was $4k from runners and $50k from them.

Contrast that with the Flying Pig marathon weekend that gave $1.5 million to charities in 2015 alone, is a registered non-profit, and puts on a better event for less money. That is the race I'd rather give money to.

Contrast that with the Flying Pig marathon weekend that gave $1.5 million to charities in 2015 alone, is a registered non-profit, and puts on a better event for less money. That is the race I'd rather give money to.
I don't think I could love this post more than I do! Flying Pig events (all of them--year round) are always top notch and give so much back to the community. FWIW, I looked up how much I paid for last year's Pig, and it was $101.90 after the online processing fee. The year before I signed up earlier and paid around $60. I signed my kids up for the 2019 5k when it opened and paid $25 each.

Boston 2019 is costing me about $200 (well, a ton more when I factor in flight and hotel!)
Chicago 2018 cost $195
NYC 2018 was my heavy hitter at $295
Berlin 2019 will be about $181 if I did my conversion correctly

Those are World Marathon Majors and I expect that--they are executed flawlessly. Boston and NYC require transportation to the start in the form of buses and ferries (NYC). Luckily, I can walk to the start in Chicago. No clue about Berlin since it is new to me.

I was looking at prices of the WDW Marathon events and the marathon seems to be the best bargain of the bunch @ $188. The 5k is $85? And doesn't even include timing unless you are doing the Dopey challenge? I don't understand that at all. $85 does not say "fun race" price. No way in the world would I pay that for a 5k, especially an untimed one. And I don't understand why the marathon and half marathon are the exact same price. I have been racing for decades and don't remember anywhere else charging the same for a half.

And I don't understand why the marathon and half marathon are the exact same price. I have been racing for decades and don't remember anywhere else charging the same for a half.
If you sign up for 2019 RnR Las Vegas right now both the Half and the Marathon are $99. (Just because you asked... Haha.) I heard the Marathon course is awful though.

Its all subjective. I don't do a lot of local races. I love running Disney though. Yes its expensive but I know that going in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter