Rumors of Genie+ price increase?

Exactly. $450 is just a hotel room with express passes. No park tickets, and no club level food.
Still don't see that price, all I find on their site is standard room is $710-790 + tax . Club level which you mentioned before is $920.

Still don't see that price, all I find on their site is standard room is $710-790 + tax . Club level which you mentioned before is $920.
it depends on what date you’re looking at. I see $450 with tax for Hard Rock on Dec 17. Tickets are an additional $164/pp for 1 day

In October, we paid $450 a night for standard 2-queen room at Royal Pacific which is the cheapest deluxe at Universal. Portofino was two price brackets higher.

Literally every company in this economy currently, have you seen the price of a 2x4?

Disney has added enough new attractions recently at their existing parks to hold down a 5th gate by itself, not sure why so many get hot for a 5th gate, capacity wouldn't change even if you did take all the new attractions, and put them in their own park. Also adding a 5th gate would drive up popularity, so i can't imagine that would change much at all. In my mind adding a 3rd park in the US could start to break up the demand at WDW, but being Disney's largest park, it may not help a ton either.

I think you are putting a lot of the blame on Disney for being so popular, to me it comes off as people demanding to drop the capacity limits at the park so that they can have a more enjoyable time, the problem being people are more than willing to pay higher prices currently to just sit and wait in line (Not saying i agree with them, but it is what it is). There is a reason that Universal is more reasonable, it all boils down to supply and demand, and Universal unfortunately doesn't come close to matching up to Disney in that category
For every attraction they add, another one closes. There are literally less total attractions today then there were 15 years ago. Attendance keeps increasing but they are not adding providing more things for people to do. Until they significantly increase total attractions the lines will just keep getting worse.

For every attraction they add, another one closes. There are literally less total attractions today then there were 15 years ago. Attendance keeps increasing but they are not adding providing more things for people to do. Until they significantly increase total attractions the lines will just keep getting worse.
that is an overstatement

Especially when you consider the Hotel and DVC expansions in recent years. Disney repurposes park real estate that creates even more demand and they are happy to expand hotel accommodations that ensure the parks will be busy. Especially on the DVC side with long term contracts, the park demand is not going away anytime soon expect prices to continue to rise in accord.

A club-level at Portofino is not $450, so I don't understand you thinking you're getting free food.

I can hook you up with an All-Star Sports at Disney for $200/night plus 4x$15 Disney Genie+ additions = $260. Much cheaper than Universal.

Disney is HALF the cost vs. Universal.
What are you talking about I booked a Club room at Portofino for $450 a night. I’ve paid $1904 in a Club room for 4 nights in December 2022 including all taxes.
So you are wrong I’m afraid.
Why would I want to stay at All-Star Sports? When I stay at Disney I use my DVC points.
Disney cash prices are way too expensive (although I appreciate they will charge what the market bears if they want). A Club room cash at a deluxe (which doesn’t include the Express Pass) costs way more than we have paid at Portofino. This is a fact!

Last edited:

Where are you finding that price? Looking at the Universal site, for Club level Portofino room (over Christmas) plus tickets as you must have them to get express pass, I'm seeing about $1100 a night.
It’s me who booked it. I live in the U.K., and come over twice a year. For our Christmas vacation have booked Vero with our DVC points for 3 nights, then Portofino Club for 4 nights then an RCI Cruise so we will be on the cruise actual Xmas day. We couldn’t face Disney again this Xmas after what it was like last, and have nearly 400 DVC points.
Secret to getting good Universal prices is booking early, we booked January for December.
But of course, someone on here is telling me I haven’t booked something I have 🤔
Having stayed in the top Universal hotels, I can say they are definitely better than Disney moderates and as good as Disney deluxe. The food and beverage offering at Portofino Club is also excellent. Obviously Portofino isn’t defined by its lobby, which is actually quite nice when you see the whole thing. The Club level can be seen here from 3.30 (just remodelled).
When did Disney offer that sort of value?

Attachments

• A0ABC0A7-8CC6-4787-9D2F-F4B345DF9A2B.jpeg
    A0ABC0A7-8CC6-4787-9D2F-F4B345DF9A2B.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 5
  • BF177940-9E17-42BA-B0F0-A2A35661FBB3.jpeg
    BF177940-9E17-42BA-B0F0-A2A35661FBB3.jpeg
    255.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 18E9A063-B677-4DC1-9BF1-A7C7274D39A8.jpeg
    18E9A063-B677-4DC1-9BF1-A7C7274D39A8.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
What are you talking about I booked a Club room at Portofino for $450 a night. I’ve paid $1904 in a Club room for 4 nights in December 2022 including all taxes.
That's $476/night. Lol

You got lucky with that rate, then. I can’t see them less than $700/night for any dates I pick.

Agreed. The problem with Express pass and Genie+ is the same. Too many people have access to it. IMO the best parks with the best skip the line systems is Cedar Fair parks. They limit availability a lot and price it high enough so that those who do buy it short waits.

Disney and Universal to an extent created a problem when the implemented FP and Express pass. They decided to make it fair for everyone as much as possible. Cause of that, this is the mess that comes of it.
Our local amusement park is Cedar Fair and the fastpass system is $85+ a person but includes the top 3 roller coasters. I wouldn't pay it now because I don't like roller coasters and only one of my 3 kids is big enough but if they were teenagers I would consider it for our once-a-year trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter