Rumor: Water Sprites Have Been Eliminated

For us, when the lines in the park get too long, it is time to leave and have fun at the resort. Covid aside, that's been happening a lot over the past several years. Having fun, recreation choices at the resorts is more important to us. I really hope the rumor turns out to be not true.

As for profit or not, I know for a fact that a 3rd party, not Disney, operated the boat rentals at the Wilderness Lodge. Perhaps that was the case at other resorts too and maybe those businesses have struggled or ceased operating.

Can you back up that "fact" with pertinent info . . . . . .

They are definitely are operated by a 3rd party. A quick google search leads to multiple stories about their decision to end rentals at Port Orleans – Riverside, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs and Caribbean Beach Resort.

Can you back up that "fact" with pertinent info . . . . . .

Sure...

When we were staying at CCV before Covid, upon arrival there was a note in the cabin from the GM of the WL welcoming us and a statement that we should contact her directly if there were any problems. I experienced really poor customer service at the boat rental and took her up on the offer and emailed her. I got a nice reply back apologizing for the experience along with an explanation that the boat rentals were not operated by Disney, but she would pass my comments along to the owner of that business.

Sure...

When we were staying at CCV before Covid, upon arrival there was a note in the cabin from the GM of the WL welcoming us and a statement that we should contact her directly if there were any problems. I experienced really poor customer service at the boat rental and took her up on the offer and emailed her. I got a nice reply back apologizing for the experience along with an explanation that the boat rentals were not operated by Disney, but she would pass my comments along to the owner of that business.

Are you talking water sports, fishing excursion or just straight boat rental?

Are you talking water sports, fishing excursion or just straight boat rental?

For my case, it was the Wilderness Lodge marina rentals, operated from the little shack by the rental docks and kind of diagonally across from Reunion Station... That included the Sea Raycers and pontoon boats, which we were (hoping to) rent. Sorry... I didn't notice if that also specifically included the fishing excursions or other water sports.

Dang, I got to do the Sea Raycers one time for like 15 minutes before a storm came in. I was looking forward to doing it again

I feel like they started meeting their fate between 2005-10 depending on the resort. I don’t think we’ve rented either a pontoon boat or Water Mouse since 2010 (2008???).

The expansions at MK Resorts took away/reduced dock space that they once had. At least at WL and Poly. Some of the moderates resorts cut back on the boat and bike rental activities, or had construction on their lakes that temporarily (permanently) discontinued it.

While it’s sad to see it too discontinued it was bound to happen.

Not surprising if they do go away, I hardly ever saw them out on the water. I used them back in the '80s when we stayed at the contemporary, it came as part of the resort package (think it was 30 or 60 minutes a day?). They were well used then, I remember having to wait on the dock for a return. Tons of watercraft on the lakes, water skiing, sail boats, pontoon boats. Lots of fun back then.

Not surprising if they do go away, I hardly ever saw them out on the water. I used them back in the '80s when we stayed at the contemporary, it came as part of the resort package (think it was 30 or 60 minutes a day?). They were well used then, I remember having to wait on the dock for a return. Tons of watercraft on the lakes, water skiing, sail boats, pontoon boats. Lots of fun back then.

Part of the problem is, like most things at WDW today, the prices have risen far more than inflation. In 1990, it was $11 per half hour, which would be equal to around $20 today, but the current price is $32 per half hour. Profit margins might be higher but volume is way down as a result.

And as you mention, they use to be part of the package.I hear people say often that these extras are just that…extra and Disney doesn’t have to offer them and it’s a business that needs to turn a profit, etc. But these extras and others like live music and streetsmosphere, created the magic or ambiance that made Disney World a special place like no other and made it worth the extra cost to go there, where people were willing to save up for years to go. I remember my brothers and I saving our paper route money to be able to go. It’s also what created the nostalgia so many of us feel that makes us want to bring our own kids today. It’s why I am a DVC member and go for 2 weeks every two years. The parks are only half of the reason I go. The rides are fun and I can enjoy them with my kids but it’s everything else, the extras, that made Disney different from any other theme park. If I just wanted rides, I can save thousands and go anywhere else. I want to hear the boat horns on bay lake, I want to sit in the lobby and listen to music, I want to be in the magic kingdom at midnight without having to pay $500 on top of the thousands I’ve already paid for park passes. Disney needs to give us the extras if they expect us to pay extra and keep coming back.

I was at WDW last week and overheard some CMs at the BWV pool chatting near the bar as we were sitting there. One was saying that she had previously been assigned to boat rentals and loved working there, but had been permanently reassigned to pools because "those aren't coming back". The other CM expressed surprised and CM1 said she was told the only boat rentals are going to be fishing excursions and fireworks cruises.

I was at WDW last week and overheard some CMs at the BWV pool chatting near the bar as we were sitting there. One was saying that she had previously been assigned to boat rentals and loved working there, but had been permanently reassigned to pools because "those aren't coming back". The other CM expressed surprised and CM1 said she was told the only boat rentals are going to be fishing excursions and fireworks cruises.

a ton of smoke around this rumor - doesn't look good. Seems like a great, un-hectic spot to work for sure. I wonder if they will make an official announcement or just try and quietly kill iit....feels Disney should at least address it given their history.

Last edited:
a ton of smoke around this rumor - doesn't look good. Seems like a great, un-hectic spot to work for sure. I wonder if they will make an official announcement or just try and quietly kill iit....feels Disney should at least address it given their history.
This does seem like it has a ton of smoke. Fishing excursions coming back was announced today so it sounds like the cast member was onto something. I loved the sprites as a relaxing (and nostalgic) activity at the resort. I really hope they come back.

This does seem like it has a ton of smoke. Fishing excursions coming back was announced today so it sounds like the cast member was onto something. I loved the sprites as a relaxing (and nostalgic) activity at the resort. I really hope they come back.

Fishing excursions have been offered since the resort reopened in July 2020

Fishing excursions have been offered since the resort reopened in July 2020
Ah, you're correct - thank you. I just saw an ad on a Disney Blog promoting it and thought it a new return. Regardless, I want to rip around in a water sprite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter