Rumor: Water Sprites Have Been Eliminated

I could rent a ski boat on just about any lake for what they charged for those boats, if they weren't making a profit they have some serious cost issues or have placed way too much burden on them. From a pure cash POV, I'm sure they were cash flow positive.

They werent.

If that's the case it seems like it was a management issue, not a problem with the boats themselves.

On the upper level maybe. Youd have to imagine that even if they were running a profit Disney likely still wouldnt keep them because the staffing and upkeep didnt justify the cost.

People need to remember its not just the cost to rent the boats, its the maintenance, the gas, life jacket costs, cleaning supplies and most importantly....staffing.

They werent.
You have access to Disney department level cashflow P&L sheets? If those weren't cash flow positive, there was a massive management issues or every boat rental marina in the country is losing money.

I would believe that after they dumped a lot of burden on them that they may show a loss, but that is only relevant if that burden goes away when the boast go away, which most of it likely doesn't.

You have access to Disney department level cashflow P&L sheets? If those weren't cash flow positive, there was a massive management issues or every boat rental marina in the country is losing money.

I would believe that after they dumped a lot of burden on them that they may show a loss, but that is only relevant if that burden goes away when the boast go away, which most of it likely doesn't.

Ok...so why are they going away?

Well, I loved the Sea Raycers and will be really disappointed if these don't return. We used them on every stay. But they clearly were not hugely popular - there were always loads of them sat in the boat docks unused. If you think that each resort marina needs at least 2 people to staff it (one to take payment and one to set you up on the boats), and the additional patrol boats they need on the lake to manage the traffic - its quite a big operational cost. Then the cost of maintaining them, safety checks, fuel etc. I can see why from a strictly bean counting perspective, these would be cut - they definitely won't be making any money from them.

No single one of these decisions will reduce occupancy in the hotels. But there will be a tipping point when you're paying a deluxe price for a hotel with no amenities, other than some nice lobby theming.

No single one of these decisions will reduce occupancy in the hotels. But there will be a tipping point when you're paying a deluxe price for a hotel with no amenities, other than some nice lobby theming.

I dont think Disney cares on this one, but amenities also relate to a hotels * rating.

As for lobby theming...yeah thats also gone out the window. Polynesisan lobby may as well be a marriot in podunk idaho.

Nobody even knows if they’re going away. This is totally unconfirmed rumor. The OP said that’s what “insiders in other places” are saying. The boats aren’t back yet, but no one has actually confirmed that they aren’t ever returning.

This whole discussion could be over absolutely nothing.

Yes, this is the Rumors and News forum. I apologize for throwing facts into the discussion.

I could rent a ski boat on just about any lake for what they charged for those boats, if they weren't making a profit they have some serious cost issues or have placed way too much burden on them. From a pure cash POV, I'm sure they were cash flow positive.
They werent.
As a recovering bean counter, I'm curious how we know they weren't "cash flow positive". What is the source of that information?
Ok...so why are they going away?
So far all I've seen here are rumors that they are going away. Do we have any official statements that they won't return?

Yes, this is the Rumors and News forum. I apologize for throwing facts into the discussion.

Your previous post said “Ok ... so why are they going away then?”

Simply answering you. Maybe they aren’t going away. Nobody really knows.

Could this unsubstantiated rumor be true? Sure. Could it be false? Sure.

Also, you and I have a very different definition of the word “facts.” 🤣 It’s more like speculation.

Your previous post said “Ok ... so why are they going away then?”

Simply answering you. Maybe they aren’t going away. Nobody really knows.

Could this unsubstantiated rumor be true? Sure. Could it be false? Sure.

Also, you and I have a very different definition of the word “facts.” 🤣 It’s more like speculation.

I think marina signs being removed is fairly credible to say its a a rumor. Either they are redoing the sign packages and changing pricing/offerings or the boats are going away.

With the cuts in services recently it wouldnt be shocking to see the boats go away as they dont make Disney money. I think the bigger play here would be staffing related. 1. Disney was desperate to trim their labor force pre-pandemic and now 2. Disney (and the industry as a whole) isnt getting the labor back that they once had to provide services like this.

We always called them “water mice”
DH is 6’3 and hated them, but I loved them and will miss them if this comes to be. I’m really worried they won’t bring back the Grand 1...

Thanks. They had a few at Port Orleans too, yeah? I think I remember seeing some there.
Correct and you could also rent them at Downtown Disney. The dock was to the right fo where the Margarita stand is now.

Obviously I'm just forwarding the rumor - but supposed employees in other places say they have been junked, the sea raycers themselves are all gone....Believe me, I hope this is somehow wrong or maybe they are secretly upgrading them, but the prospects don't sound great.

I was there in March and the signs were up. I was super curious and that’s how I found out about the awesome deals. I can’t remember where I saw them. I went to a lot of places. I think it was Yacht or Beach Club.

Insiders in other places are saying Disney resorts have ended boat rentals - with the water sprites gone forever and only the pontoons with a small chance to return.

Probably sounds crazy to many, but this is one of the reasons I was happy to pay the premium for Contemporary or Poly. Not to be all dramatic, but as a 14-16 year old I would cruise around Bay Lake in my own boat - never driven a car of course. It was one of the coolest, freeing feelings - wind in your face and bombing around DI, Poly, dodging large MK ferries....just exploring and forgetting any of stresses of those days - school, girls. etc, etc. Disney memories/feeling that always stayed with me. Another truly unqiue WDW experience sadly gone.

I have similar memories from the same age period. It was always a fun splurge. On one occasion I witnessed my brother and cousin crash their separate boats into each other resulting in the two people from one boat ending up in the water. The boat patrol folks were not happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter