Rumor? Seas and The Land closing?

Present Test Track, Frozen overlay, Grand Fiesta overlay of the Rio del Tiempo, loss of Dreamfinder, all those lost EPCOT attractions, cutting streetmosphere at all parks, Princess Meet and Greet instead of Snow White, etc, etc doesn't support your argument.

Anyone remember lumberjack contests in the Canada pavilion?
Ah the lumberjacks. That was certainly not an improvement.

I don't think that anything at Epcot has improved. It's just gotten worse and worse.

The bottom line is future world needs a direction, which it severely lacks currently. I really don’t think current management knows what they’re doing, and just are plugging in anything they can. But maybe they do have a vision, and it’ll all make sense in the end
Future world is dead. I have seen rumors and insiders confirm there will be a rename of BOTH sides of Epcot. The park is being re-imagined. I have not seen any rumors over the total scope...but considering they are now starting phase 3 - which will include SGE refurb and redo of middle of park.... you can be sure this won't be Epcot as it has been known

Gotta say you are the first person I’ve ever seen with this opinion. Usually there’s at least one change somebody disagrees with. Next to nobody seems to think that Stitchs Great Escape is better than ExtraTERRORestrial was, that the princess hall is better than Snow White, that new Figment is better than old Figment, etc.

Personally I always trust them with new builds, they rarely misfire there. Full on replacements tend to be lateral moves on average. And reimaginings of rides are nearly always a step down. So I prefer when they touch something, that they just demo it to start, and purpose build.

I think one factor that wasn't discussed is budgets.

"As a former cast member and Imagineer in the early '80s, I know first hand about the inner working are of these kinds of things. It's all about who's running the company and their mission.
The one thing I will say is that again WDI will only replace something with something BETTER. A LOT better. Look at Fantasyland, Wishes, Disney Studios expansion, things going on in Epcot already, all exciting and BETTER changes.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE those rides. I personally worked on all three of them. But to go with the new times and new Epcot theme they are going to have to be significantly updated or even replaced and it is a 100% chance of happening... eventually.
First of all - welcome to the Dis - I appreciate that you chose to join in on the conversation and share your experiences. I hope your career there was as fun as I imagine (haha) it would have been!!

In defense of your statement, I can see that the INTENT is noble, that the GOAL is to make the replacement better than the original. But others have listed quite a few examples on this thread where that was a failure. I'm good with using IP intelligently to maintain an overall theme to Epcot that is unique to the other three gates (culture, education, etc.) - LOVE the idea of Coco/Dio de los muertos at the Mexico pavilion. I will reserve judgment on Guardians, but for now, it seems like just a thrill ride thrown into a park that had the space. :confused3 My fear is that the new Spaceship Earth will just be "a ride", continuing to erode the original aspects of Epcot of "edutainment." And, yes, I get it - Iger doesn't care about that anymore. Pack the parks with people who don't long for "the good ol' days" of Body Wars and Dreamfinder. But, just as I, as a kid, wouldn't have *chosen* to be educated on my vacation, my kids wouldn't either. But I'd bet money that they would grow to appreciate it as they grow up. I've told them about Body Wars and they think it's a cool concept.

Now, I know that the higher ups and WDI are playing the long game, and there's more they're thinking about than I could even guess. I just hope that they don't completely abandon Epcot's original identity when it opened and make it "just another park."

The person who seems to have the most reliable info on changes at parks has said numerous times, there were/are numerous ideas and plans for the change to Epcot on the table. None of them have been agreed upon for a long term plan set in stone and as early changes are made ( GoTG, Spaceship Earth Upgrade, New M&G in the old WoL pavillion, Space Restaurant) plans for the other side of the park and even changes to the spine are adjusted due to budgets and other constraints. That person also stated Seas isnt going anywhere as far as he knows, and generally if there was an inkling of something he would know and would answer more open ended.

Future world is dead. I have seen rumors and insiders confirm there will be a rename of BOTH sides of Epcot. The park is being re-imagined. I have not seen any rumors over the total scope...but considering they are now starting phase 3 - which will include SGE refurb and redo of middle of park.... you can be sure this won't be Epcot as it has been known
Can certainly see future world being rebranded, because as you pointed out that concept as envisioned is dead. But I got rebrand world showcase? Even with IP additions like rat, it still keeps to the main idea

Are they renaming it IPcot? Or maybe IPA-cot. I have so many great ideas:

Living With the Land can be re-imaged into Growing the Booze with audio-animatronic brewers and the park can grow it's own grape vines, hops, potatoes, juniper and blue agave.

The Seas with Nemo & Friends could be re-imagined into the "The Outerspace Colonies with Ripley & Friends" where we travel through destroyed colonies with Ripley trying to outrun ovipositor aliens trying to make babies on our faces. They might have to speed up the omnimovers a smidge....

Turtle Talk with Crush could easily switch to "Monster Chat with the Predator". Just some minor animation changes. The kids will love it.

They could just fill the aquarium tanks with patent attorneys, whoops I mean sharks.

And Spaceship Earth would make an awesome Planet of Apes Earth. Just put some ape suits on the animatronics. Maybe someone can pull together a nice Charleton Heston deep-fake voiceover. So cool.

:(

I have no problems with new Concepts for future world. I want it to maintain its individuality and not just become Magic Kingdom part 2. So I worry about too many characters being added or just IPs we can't really put anywhere else. I mean I like the more green concepts of the entrance.

A great example of a one off rumour that is completely unsubstantiated gaining traction and validity through repetition. I am seeing this all over social media this morning. I don't buy this one at all.

That being said, anything is possible and I would personally miss both of those buildings and attractions, but I'd keep an open mind until I knew more about what was replacing them.

I think one factor that wasn't discussed is budgets.
Well the budget is an important factor on their end, but the people going on a ride don’t care what the budget was. They just want something fun. The budget affects what they can do greatly, sometimes they’re just held back too much by money.

But even with generous budgets and incredible talent, you’ll still have misfires.

My first visit to Disneyworld was opening year - I was very young... we won't say how young. (notice I didn't say "old"). Disney is in my DNA or at least it feels that way to me. I am the epitome of the purist and lover or the old school Disney. But, that said, I agree futureworld needs help. I love Living with the Land and the land pavilion, although it could use a make-over. I despise the new Test Track - it took the human/story element out and made it so generic I don't even care if I ride it and I once absolutely loved it. I miss Cranium Command. Universe of Energy - sooo outdated. and Journey Into Your Imagination is the biggest joke not to mention a 3D theater touting comics. The Seas I like to visit, but it is very dark and outdated. The restaurant sucks, even with the views. Mission Space does nothing for me except give me motion sickness and the green version is a one and done for me. Not worth repeating. I miss the old days of Epcot but I realize that due to the "future" theme, it's destined to become outdated and they have let it slip big time. I think Walt is turning over in his grave over this. Look at Tomorrowland at MK, it's on a smaller scale in the same situation. I'm all for a refurb but I don't like the IP is the answer to all that is theory. I prefer the Edutainment !! If the touch Spaceship Earth other than a sprucing up - it's on like donkey kong. I'll be livid.

Love World Showcase but I think they are overdoing it with festivals. They aren't unique anymore ... just one after the other.

Obviously I don't know the answer so all we can do is wait to see what happens. I hope they preserve the original intent of Epcot at least and give it the attention it so desperately needs. And, for the love of God, bring Figment and the original attraction back.

As I have said, I have not seen a sure path from any insider what the re-imagining will go to. I do recall at least Martin stating it is locking in on its "World Fair" type placement. But I am quite sure a few insiders have said both areas will be renamed...to what and how that will effect future designs I have no idea.

I'd be shocked if both pavilions were completely removed. I could see updates to both happening at some point, but the expense and effort to remove them would be substantial. I also have seen plenty of rumors from the source that don't come to pass. At best they get about 1/3 of the rumors correct. So I'm not going to worry about this one at least until we hear from more reliable sources that it's going to happen.

In relation to Future World, its going to happen but slowly over time. Future world needs help but the east half is in okay shape and will be in great shape once GotG is finished as well as the new "Play Pavilion" where WOL stands and theres the Space Restaurant as well. Serious attention is already being given to the east side. I think once they finish all of that work including the new entry way, attention will be paid to the west side of Epcot as well. But to those screaming FW needs a refresh, its getting one right now! Of course its just the first phase.

The original intent and funding model for EPCOT is discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on the internet, but suffice it to say, it didn't work because there wasn't a big enough ROI for the countries and companies paying the bills. The fact that EPCOT stagnated really ins't much of a surprise in hindsight; If they weren't seeing a payback on the attractions they had already paid for, why would they ever re-invest to make the attractions better? Innoventions was the most glaring example; I dutifully walked through the exhibits there every time I went, hoping that there would be something new to hold my interest. With the exception of the short-lived Sum of All Thrills, there never really was. That's fine if this was a State Fair exhibit hall, but it's not - It's EPCOT, and it's not cheap to get in. Sort-of, somewhat interesting, is nowhere near good enough. I'm glad it's finally getting the wreaking ball - it didn't come soon enough.

I wish they'd fix what doesn't work before they get rid of what does though. Franky I've always been very disappointed with World Showcase. It's a lot of restaurants and a very long walk to get around. On our last trip my family made it as far as Frozen on one side, then as far a France on the other side to get ice cream and that was it. It has been my stated goal to see the American Experience for about 3 trips now (yes, I know it doesn't get great reviews); still haven't seen it. I love that they are adding Ratatouille, but that's in France; somehow I don't think well make it all the way around the lake on my next trip either. How is Oh Canada still one of the best attractions in World Showcase? It's an outdated Circle Vision movie for God's sake!

So yeah, put me down in the "against" column for a Land/Sea removal/remodel. The Living with the Land is an iconic, forward-looking ride that deserves to stay. You may not like Nemo, but have you ever noticed the sea of strollers outside? The kids love it and it has a short line. There are few things in WDW that can make that claim.

I love the history that these two pavilions have. However, I understand that I very rarely visit these pavilions for their intended purpose. The last time I rode Living With The Land was in 2014 and The Seas I rode this past year but that was because someone in my group wanted to use that as an extra fastpass. Soarin' doesn't really make sense in The Land pavilion. However, I do enjoy the Garden Grill and Coral Reef restaurants. I will be more sad that The Land building itself would be gone. I just hope we don't lose the glass pyramids of the Imagination Pavilion in the future. However, this is just a rumor. One that I hope is not true.

Epcot is my favorite park and The Land Pavilion is my favorite place in all of WDW. I admit, it is mostly due to nostalgic reasons but I would be devastated if it were demolished. Dining at Garden Grill has now become a tradition for my kids and I during our trips. Epcot and I will both be celebrating our 40th birthdays in October of 2022!

Those pavilions are definitely in desperate need of a renovation but please don't demolish The Land!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter