RUMOR: Overhaul coming to Downtown Disney

I'd be curious to know the statistics behind those who park at DTD. How many of them actually stay and enjoy DTD vs. who simply parks there to get on free buses to the parks.

They could alleviate some of the parking issues if they would disallow the use of Disneybusses by those who are not staying on property.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how would that make the parking lot less crowded? Wouldn't that only increase the number of cars in the lot, since those staying offsite would need to arrange their own transportation and be more likely to drive themselves?

LOVE DTD!!! However, some of it is getting really outdated. I am up for any new changes. :cool1:

That's how I feel. While I'm a huge DTD fan, I actually like the name. The other plans seem neat but something bothers me about them changing the name. Other than the name change, I'm all for the DTD changes.

Meh, I thought I'd never get used to the MGM-DHS name change, but I did. I also really like the DTD name, but I'm sure I'll adjust. Glad to hear they might be giving the area the total overhaul it deserves.

I would not be in favor of changing the name of DTD. Whatever else they do, as long as the *Market Place* remains basically the same, is fine with me. That's mostly where we have always gone anyway. :)

We also never drive there, so would actually hate to see an ugly parking garage in the front.

I hope that they never keep offsite visitors from riding the Disney buses. You will always get a few that try to save the parking fee but I doubt that too many do this due to the time lost. When we stay offsite, we love to tour a park and maybe bus somewhere later just to dine and shop or even play mini-golf.

Just remember that with whatever change they make, it hasn't always been DTD. It used to be Disney Village before it became Downtown Disney, so don't be too quick to dismiss any change, you may find yourself liking it if you give it a chance. :)

Just remember that with whatever change they make, it hasn't always been DTD. It used to be Disney Village before it became Downtown Disney, so don't be too quick to dismiss any change, you may find yourself liking it if you give it a chance. :)

This. I'm still nostalgic for the days of the "shopping village" and never quite accepted the "Downtown Disney" name. Whose downtown looks anything like this?

ETA: DP just suggested that perhaps it should be called "Disney Town Center". I like that...

I'd be curious to know the statistics behind those who park at DTD. How many of them actually stay and enjoy DTD vs. who simply parks there to get on free buses to the parks.

I would guess that it's a smaller percentage than what we might think. DTD bus service is not as frequent as the service between the resorts and parks. Add to that the fact that anyone wanting to get from DTD to a park would have to get a bus to a resort first. This can take up a great deal of time and I suspect that there are many who try this a few times before figuring it's just a whole lot less trouble to suck it up and pay for the parking.

I can't see any reason why Disney or anyone else would want to stop visitors from going to see the various resorts

Not sure about the proposed new name for DTD, but like anything, with time, you get used to it. It's probably due for a bit of updating anyway so I'm keen to see more info on this

I would like to see changes to the area incorporate more Disney theming. I visited the World including DTD via boat from Port Orleans in 06. As a Californian, I have more experience at DL's DTD. The main reason I liked Orlando's DTD much better was because the vast majority of the shops were Disney oriented. I understand that since my visit in 06, Disney removed the pet shop where Disney branded pet toys were sold. I am not sure if any other Disney shops were removed since my visit.
I feel it is important for my experiences at Disney including DTD to be something Unique that I can't have anywhere but Disney. Yes, Disney Stores can be found in many malls, but the selection at Disney Parks is far more vast and unique. I would say with the exception of World of Disney at DL's DTD, the rest of the shops and foods are identical or similar to those at my local mall, so why would I want to spend money to go all the way to Disney and do something I can do much closer to home? At least when I was at DW's DTD, I felt much more surrounded by the Disney aura, which is what I want on a Disney vacation. I hope that any plans to change DTD in DW are designed to increase the Disney atmosphere, not move away from it.

Doubtful, unless room rates and DVC dues increase to cover the transportation subsidy that is part of multi-day park tickets, since multi day tickets include the use of WDW transportation system. Especially with the ever increasing cost of fuel.

Remember, they discontinued the requirement to show resort ID to use the resort bus system in the early 1990s.

DVC members already pay dues for transportation, why should they pay more for none resort guests ?

going/again said:
DVC members already pay dues for transportation, why should they pay more for none resort guests ?

Thank you for bringing this up. Far too often I'm trying to bus back from DTD to Beach Club and I have to wait two or three cycles to get on since so many people hitch along to get to Epcot or wherever they're going. Clogs it up real nice.

Adding a parking garage may make it easier for Disney to justify charging for parking. Charge for parking would probably be waived for resort guests and maybe customers who meet minimum purchase requirements.

At one time the rumor was Disney wanted to build garages in DTD similar to Universal. A second TTC. Offsite guests would park and walk through at least part of DTD before they would board buses, maybe even some kind of rail, to a theme park.

The Downtown Disney parking lots at the Disneyland Resort (California) are gated. The lots provide 3 hours of free parking without validation or 5 hours of free parking with a table service meal at one of the Downtown Disney restaurants. Beyond these free limits, there's a rather steep parking charge.

That means guests can enjoy dinner, a movie, and shopping at Downtown Disney with free parking. But guests who try to use a Downtown Disney parking lot for a theme park day will pay dearly.

It's a pricing model that would also work at Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney.

Yes, we pay dues for transportation, just as every other cash resort pays into the system. But multi-day ticket guests and annual passholders also pay into the system. A portion of the ticket price is also paid into the overall transportation system. Lose that subsidy by denying them use, and the difference will be made up somewhere, through increased cash room rates and increased transportation contract costs with DVC, increasing our dues. Or cutting back on the resort bus services. Cost to provide the transportation will not go down, it cost the same to run x number of buses, full or empty.

Think of it this way, a DVC Member may drive to WDW, and drive to every park, never using the bus system...but we still pay dues. If they refunded dues to members that drive to the parks, where would the cost be made up? Through increasing everyone else's dues.

I hope that Any changes/additions include bringing back the Adventures Club! I Demand that this is a must, Someplace that is a Fun, Adults Only, is very much needed throughout WDW.pixiedust:

Thank you for bringing this up. Far too often I'm trying to bus back from DTD to Beach Club and I have to wait two or three cycles to get on since so many people hitch along to get to Epcot or wherever they're going. Clogs it up real nice.
Complain to your resort that there should be more buses to accommodate the demand.

The Downtown Disney parking lots at the Disneyland Resort (California) are gated. The lots provide 3 hours of free parking without validation or 5 hours of free parking with a table service meal at one of the Downtown Disney restaurants. Beyond these free limits, there's a rather steep parking charge.

That means guests can enjoy dinner, a movie, and shopping at Downtown Disney with free parking. But guests who try to use a Downtown Disney parking lot for a theme park day will pay dearly.

It's a pricing model that would also work at Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney.

This sounds like a great plan if they build the garage, which I would be in favor of.

I would think that it is a small percentage overall. Not an easy way direct way to get to parks. From DTD to Hotels and then to Parks. Plus to leave reverse the whole process. I'm sure there are some. With almost 30,000 rooms on site plus neighboring areas I think its just a lot of people and not enough parking near the areas where people go . Park near the Westend during the day and its a ghost town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter