Rumor: Direct Minimum for DVC Purchase Increasing to 150 Points

Bring back AP's! Increasing the price to become a direct member while perks are missing. Ugh!
I bought 100 point direct contract last year basically for that AP savings for a family of 4. Still waiting... have bought 10 days each for a family of four of day tickets so far since joining. I could have saved a ton had I been able to get AP's!!!!!!!

I thought it already was 150 points. 🤣 I’m obviously not too up-to-date with the minimums.

All the current physical blue cards expire at the end of 2021 so my GUESS is that they want to reach whatever the final target is before then. And, may as well do it before the 50th kicks off so they can start selling 150 a pop. Maybe they'll finally have some sort of electronic validation, too, vs. inconsistently asking for a plastic/digital card and sometimes your ID.

Also, may as well bump it up before bringing back AP sales, too. No sense in letting people lock in at 125 for a gold pass now.

All the current physical blue cards expire at the end of 2021 so my GUESS is that they want to reach whatever the final target is before then. And, may as well do it before the 50th kicks off so they can start selling 150 a pop. Maybe they'll finally have some sort of electronic validation, too, vs. inconsistently asking for a plastic/digital card and sometimes your ID.

Also, may as well bump it up before bringing back AP sales, too. No sense in letting people lock in at 125 for a gold pass now.

To add, maybe we will get lucky and they will introduce some more perks to the program!

True, I do. But we don't buy that much stuff, cook a lot in our rooms, and it seems like white card members are getting the same discounts (which I really, really don’t care about). It would take a buttload of food and drink and t shirts to make up for that direct cost.

It's debatable whether all food and merchandise discounts are "membership extras" and require a blue card. I suspect white-card holders can get most of those discounts by showing their membership card.
It states so on the DVC site. Enforcement and CM training are a separate issue altogether (case in point: my wife effectively being accused of trying to steal 10% off by presenting the digital card when certain DL CMs apparently didn't get the memo.)

We'll see if they add it to your MDE profile after the current plastic cards expire at the end of the year. I'm surprised they haven't implemented electronic verification but perhaps it hasn't been a big enough issue to warrant the implementation cost (let alone the inevitable new bugs that will be introduced.)

It's debatable whether all food and merchandise discounts are "membership extras" and require a blue card. I suspect white-card holders can get most of those discounts by showing their membership card.

Well, I know people that have been denied, Regardless, it’s a blue card membership perk

The official document only lists "select dining or merchandise discounts" and has, in the past, been interpreted to mean special event discounts, not routine dining discounts. It does seem ambiguous, which is why I said it's debatable.
That's a very charible interpretation, IMO. The official document you linked to also states to visit the DVC site for the specific details. There they publish the "membership extras" with all those discounts listed and the restriction specified at the bottom relating to qualifying for said membership extras. Granted the list is sometimes missing some locations or may not be fully up to date, but the intent is clearly that you have to qualify for the blue card to receive those discounts.

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/

Whether or not it's enforced according to the rules is a different issue and goes back to CM awareness and training.

Again, I can get most of those discounts with my Disney Visa...

Oddly, I was at Olivia's for thanksgiving dinner. DVC and AP were blacked out, but not the Disney Visa.

I don't think Disney Visa covers quite as many dining locations, though, and not sure about 20% on merch either. But it's true that many are covered by it.

There they publish the "membership extras" with all those discounts listed and the restriction specified at the bottom relating to qualifying for said membership extras.
To be clear, that list is for "Membership Extras and benefits." That indicates there's a different between "benefits" and the legal defined term "Membership Extras." Call it charitable, but they use those words on purpose.

It would surprise me if the benefits for being a Direct Buyer don't get beefed up sometime in 2021, unless Disney knows something we don't (Riviera is selling like hotcakes, maybe?). The biggest warning shot to us white card people seems to be the reservation restrictions on RIV; I guess this is going to propagate to the new Floridian conversions they announced also? Maybe they are going to announce Reflections and the new Disneyland projects are restarting so there are 4 "direct-only" resorts and have special activities that are only available there?

In addition to the points level, they have pushed up the direct pricing; I can't believe that won't slow down direct sales at some point. But, hey, they're running DVC and I'm not, so what do I know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter