Rumor by agent - Blue Card min. going up

I mean what is the biggest benefit of owning DVC in general? You just explained getting a hotel room is not a benefit. Yes I am being a little snarky here.

While I agree that staying in future resorts is not the biggest benefit it still is a benefit none the less. I think its a bigger thing in 2042 when Epcot disappears from the DVC resale landscape option but thats 21+ years from now.

My personal view is that Ticket discounts are the biggest benefit of direct DVC but that is only the first 100 (soon to be 125) points that you buy. After that its about RIV and future resorts because honestly once you get the blue card what else is left as a benefit of the points themselves?
IMO the biggest benefit to owning DVC is a discounted room and IMO it's a qualifying circumstance to owning being reasonable. Having control of the reservation is likely second and for a relatively small subset, the pass discount is the biggest additional benefit of having qualified points. Whether losing out on Riviera or future resorts is a negative depends on the individual, I'd say for most it isn't an issue and never will be. But even then there are other ways to stay at Riviera besides owning there including rentals, direct cash reservations and direct exchanges. So one is not necessarily shut out in any situation.

I mean what is the biggest benefit of owning DVC in general? You just explained getting a hotel room is not a benefit. Yes I am being a little snarky here.

No, I explained that not being able to trade into all DVC resorts is not the biggest benefit. Since nothing other than your home resort is actually guaranteed it's something to remember. DVC marketing wants you to think that this 1 resort is very important to trade into but I'm countering that point that there are other ways to stay there and you are not locked out of staying at Riviera or any other resorts they bring online.

The point that you took is very different - the benefit of DVC itself.

Since owning DVC isn't even a requirement to stay at any DVC resorts I'd disagree that is the biggest benefit. There are ways to stay at any DVC resort that you cannot trade into - rent a reservation from an owner that can book there and then rent our your own points to offset, pay cash thru CRO and have all the benefits of a cash booking (daily housekeeping, ability to cancel without penalties and get cash back) or transfer in points from someone that can book the 1 new resort that the most recent resale buyers cannot book at.
And when you line up the cash prices for the various resorts, the Epcot resorts are middle of the pack for deluxes, and I think it’s fair to assume Riviera will settle somewhat below them when it’s not new due to the inability to walk to a park. Comparing that to the point chart and it may often make good sense to pay cash for a stay, just as discounts can make cash at AKV, SSR, and OKW cheaper than renting points (and even owning for 1BR rates) on some dates.

So I absolutely agree that there are ways to work around not having access to Riviera and new resorts, I'll just note that for me at least, one of the reasons I bought into DVC was also convenience. I think the point being made was that if you have Direct points, an absolute benefit is the ability to book at Riviera and Future resorts without having to jump through hoops (which any of the work-arounds are). They are completely valid in that, yes, you can still stay at Riviera without needing Direct points, but if you are looking at the value of direct, it *IS* absolutely a benefit that purchasing Direct gives you the ability to use your points at Riv, DL Tower, and any future resorts without the extra steps (and cost) around renting, transferring, or paying cash. Especially if you factor in taxes, you'd need to rent out more points per night than the actual reservation to pay for renting, transferring, or paying cash. After all, many of us bought into DVC to begin with for the convenience (and savings) over renting or paying cash. The older I get, admittedly, the more I value things that save me time and make my life easier / more hassle-free. :)

Being able to trade into future Resorts is only a benefit if it's going to be reasonably possible at 7 months. That could be a problem, especially if you are looking for studios. I expect getting a studio at 7 months at Riviera will be very tough once we get past the pandemic. We see that pattern already at CCV & VGF. If there isn't going to be reasonable 7 month availability, having direct points won't matter.

Being able to trade into future Resorts is only a benefit if it's going to be reasonably possible at 7 months. That could be a problem, especially if you are looking for studios. I expect getting a studio at 7 months at Riviera will be very tough once we get past the pandemic. We see that pattern already at CCV & VGF. If there isn't going to be reasonable 7 month availability, having direct points won't matter.
Sure, but that's arguably a point of Home ownership regardless of Direct vs Resale and is not just a thing with Riviera. If you want HHI in the summer, you probably need to own there. If you want AKV Value or Concierge, you should probably own there. If you want BRV or CCV at Christmas, or Epcot resorts at F&W, VGC any time of year really, etc. But you will certainly have NO chance of getting Riv Studios at 7 months if you don't have direct points (unless you add the extra steps around renting, transferring, or paying cash).

And to be clear, MOST of my points are in fact resale points and ineligible for future resorts. That is, though, part of why I bought some points direct: I wanted the AP discounts for our family, and I wanted the ability to book at Riviera, DL Tower, Reflections (which I am holding out hope is revived at some future point), and future resorts.

And to be clear, MOST of my points are in fact resale points and ineligible for future resorts. That is, though, part of why I bought some points direct: I wanted the AP discounts for our family, and I wanted the ability to book at Riviera, DL Tower, Reflections (which I am holding out hope is revived at some future point), and future resorts.

I am also holding out hope that Reflections is revived as well. Having the opportunity to book Riviera and other future resorts and the AP discounts were our main reasons for buying direct recently at SSR. We also knew that we would never book even studios at cash rates. It's just more than we would be willing to spend.

Why is anyone assuming that the new resort at Disneyland will be part of the current system? The DLH project is going to be in such demand that I am not sure if it doesn’t just make more sense to keep it separate from the other DVCs. They don’t need the other resorts to help sell it and you probably can charge an extra premium to the sales price if you can tell people the only way to ever stay there is to own there.

This is us too. I sooo want to buy direct but having a very hard time spending $19,000 and the DVC rep I have been chatting with also confirmed minimum is going up 10/1.
You can buy direct at other resorts that are cheaper than $19000. I asked for quotes on SSR and Vero as well. I want the option to stay at all resorts so I will probably buy 100 points direct to not lose that option.

The DLH project is going to be in such demand that I am not sure if it doesn’t just make more sense to keep it separate from the other DVCs.

It makes 0 sense not to include it. As you said it will be in demand and thus push more people to buy RIV and the future WDW resorts so they can possibly get 1 or 2 rooms over the next 50 years there. I guess what benefit does Disney get from not including it in the new RIV style system?

Why is anyone assuming that the new resort at Disneyland will be part of the current system? The DLH project is going to be in such demand that I am not sure if it doesn’t just make more sense to keep it separate from the other DVCs. They don’t need the other resorts to help sell it and you probably can charge an extra premium to the sales price if you can tell people the only way to ever stay there is to own there.

It will be popular but not as a stand alone timeshare. People are not going to want to buy something to the same level when it is only good there.

Disney can keep it with the same rules as RIV and make it good at other DVC resorts at 7 months,

Now, I do think the resale restrctions...I cant imagine they wont have them...will be less impactful there...but it makes zero sense for build it without trading,

If they were going to do that, they might as well just leave it as a cash resort.

It makes 0 sense not to include it. As you said it will be in demand and thus push more people to buy RIV and the future WDW resorts so they can possibly get 1 or 2 rooms over the next 50 years there. I guess what benefit does Disney get from not including it in the new RIV style system?
Keeping it out of the system will create more breakage at the resort allowing Disney to to generate more revenue
It will be popular but not as a stand alone timeshare. People are not going to want to buy something to the same level when it is only good there.

Disney can keep it with the same rules as RIV and make it good at other DVC resorts at 7 months,

Now, I do think the resale restrctions...I cant imagine they wont have them...will be less impactful there...but it makes zero sense for build it without trading,

If they were going to do that, they might as well just leave it as a cash resort.

Nobody is going to pay the $250 or more per point that they will charge with the intention to ever use those points anywhere else.

Keeping it out of the system will create more breakage at the resort allowing Disney to to generate more revenue

Nobody is going to pay the $250 or more per point that they will charge with the intention to ever use those points anywhere else.

There is a difference in some not intending to and being prohibited. I do not believe the only people who buy there will only be buying for there.

There is a difference in some not intending to and being prohibited. I do not believe the only people who buy there will only be buying for there.
The only two resorts I would ever consider buying direct are VGC and the new DLH. If I wasn’t able to book those point anywhere else, it wouldn’t change my opinion on that. I would never use those points anywhere else.

IMO, the new DLH being separate from the other resorts would make it even more attractive to buy. I wouldn’t have to worry about planning my vacation at the resort as far out because I wouldn’t have to compete with other resort owners at 7 months. I would pay a premium for that.

I would say because most of their sales of DLV will be to on-site vacationers at WDW instead of the regional theme park crowd at DLR.

And I’ll eat my hat if it’s $250/point. DLR has offsite options that are a (much) shorter walk to both park entrances than BLT is to MK for Value resort prices and virtually no on-site benefits.

Even if Disney offered eligibility to purchase SoCal APs, DLV is still a tough sell for our family.

DLV backs onto Walnut street. We once rented a vacation home on Walnut street. It was a much longer walk to the park gates than many great options on Habor Blvd. Cash rooms at Couryard Marriott Theme Park Entrance are hard to beat!

There are alot of people who would buy it at 250 per point and use it elsewhere. People still trade into cruises etc so alot of their customers do not think about what the most efficient way to use points are IMO.

But, ability to possibly stay at the new DLH resort could sell other direct points. Buy X resort direct and you could possibly book at the new DLH resort at 7 months. Buy resale and you're locked out.

It'll be a DVC resort just like the others, under whatever terms are being offered at the time.

I am not sure overall across all DVC the breakage would increase by keeping it separate unless you are saying they are not going to give owners the options to trade to RCI, Cruises, or AVD? I can't see them completely going away from their model and putting this resort on an island. I also think if they did do this you actually would have owners more in the loop on renting out their points possibly even lowering breakage again overall across all of DVC.

This DL owner is much different than the WDW owner with DVC IMO. I think you can see this through the 7 month availability at VGC which is hands down the hardest location to get in. Yes DL tower will be large so maybe a little easier but I don't think it will be any easier than maybe VGF as an example (especially since its mostly studios).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!