Royal Caribbean bringing back upscale dining!

Disney already says no bathing suits or tank tops. And DCL doesn't have a buffet to revert to for dinner and pushes everyone towards MDRs.

And even in the buffet bathing suits are supposed to be a no-go.

Whoever wrote that article doesn't seem to know that Royalcaribbeanblog is not run by RCI. Plus the blog they linked is from 4 months ago.

Disney already says no bathing suits or tank tops. And DCL doesn't have a buffet to revert to for dinner and pushes everyone towards MDRs.
NO bathing suits or tanks should be a common sense given in ANY dining establishment that isn't beachside or poolside, including the buffet, which IS open for dinner, just in a seated format. It's sad that they even have to say that. I feel like MDR's should have a dress code that befits their atmosphere. No shorts for adults, collared shirts for men, dresses or dress pants for women. It really isn't that hard to run back to the room and throw on a sundress.

I prefer casual, although I will begrudgingly follow a dress code if imposed.

I see nothing wrong with flip flops, shorts, or tanks in the MDR as that is dining room that is included for EVERYONE in their cruise fare.

Just like I expect to pay more for a dinner at Mortons than I would at Chili's, I would expect a more formal dress code in the for-pay restaurants. If you want that atmosphere, pay for it.

And GROSS suggesting wearing the same pants that you have been sweating in for 7 days straight. Disgusting. Can't imagine what the pants will smell like in the private area after sweating in them for a week straight. That is more disgusting to me than seeing a pair of flip flops.

What I find amusing in these threads, which seem to pop up ad nauseum, is that those in favor of a more formal dress code in the MDR always seem to say "it is those that say that they pay a lot for these cruises and they will dress like they want who are ruining the atmosphere."

Well, they are saying the EXACT same thing. They are saying that they are paying a ton for their cruise and they want everyone to dress up so they can feel special. They paid a lot so they want it their way. And their way is the best way apparently.

Leaving the MDR to an open dress code since that is what is included for EVERYONE and then offering a more formal atmosphere for those that desire that atmosphere actually gives everyone the option they prefer.

I have 2 RCCL cruises (Caribbean and Med) and 1 Carnival booked for the next year. (Sorry, never, ever will sail Disney because I want flexible dining times and guaranteed no sharing.) I am hoping they won't change the dress code because I do like my shorts, but again, if they do, I will begrudgingly comply although I plan on doing the for-pay restaurants most of the time, so it is a moot point.

Last edited:

We just booked our first cruise. And it is my understanding that dressing up for dinner is a long time tradition of cruising. I am looking forward to it. I hope most of the other passengers dress as well. If they don't, oh well. I'm enjoying it anyway. I plan to wear gowns on formal nights and hubby a suit and tie. We will dress "wedding" fancy the other nights. Hubby will only be wearing his slacks a few hours so I don't see why he can't wear his suit twice and dress slacks two times? It's part of the fun! Can't wait! :)

I prefer casual, although I will begrudgingly follow a dress code if imposed.

I see nothing wrong with flip flops, shorts, or tanks in the MDR as that is dining room that is included for EVERYONE in their cruise fare.

Just like I expect to pay more for a dinner at Mortons than I would at Chili's, I would expect a more formal dress code in the for-pay restaurants. If you want that atmosphere, pay for it.

And GROSS suggesting wearing the same pants that you have been sweating in for 7 days straight. Disgusting. Can't imagine what the pants will smell like in the private area after sweating in them for a week straight.
That is more disgusting to me than seeing a pair of flip flops.

What I find amusing in these threads, which seem to pop up ad nauseum, is that those in favor of a more formal dress code in the MDR always seem to say "it is those that say that they pay a lot for these cruises and they will dress like they want who are ruining the atmosphere."

Well, they are saying the EXACT same thing. They are saying that they are paying a ton for their cruise and they want everyone to dress up so they can feel special. They paid a lot so they want it their way. And their way is the best way apparently.

Leaving the MDR to an open dress code since that is what is included for EVERYONE and then offering a more formal atmosphere for those that desire that atmosphere actually gives everyone the option they prefer.

I have 2 RCCL cruises (Caribbean and Med) and 1 Carnival booked for the next year. (Sorry, never, ever will sail Disney because I want flexible dining times and guaranteed no sharing.) I am hoping they won't change the dress code because I do like my shorts, but again, if they do, I will begrudgingly comply although I plan on doing the for-pay restaurants most of the time, so it is a moot point.

No one said wear the pants all day every day for 7 days. Most people have said they shower and change before dinner, ergo you'd be wearing those pants in the air conditioning of the ship for a couple of hours. Absolutely no reason you could not use those 2 or 3 days.

Now, if your idea of "cleaning up" after a day at port is just changing clothes and not showering...THAT is far more disgusting than wearing the same pair of pants for 2 or 3 nights on board the (I repeat) air-conditioned ship.

We just booked our first cruise. And it is my understanding that dressing up for dinner is a long time tradition of cruising. I am looking forward to it. I hope most of the other passengers dress as well. If they don't, oh well. I'm enjoying it anyway. I plan to wear gowns on formal nights and hubby a suit and tie. We will dress "wedding" fancy the other nights. Hubby will only be wearing his slacks a few hours so I don't see why he can't wear his suit twice and dress slacks two times? It's part of the fun! Can't wait! :)
It is a long time tradition and I believe it is upheld on some of the more "upscale" lines like Crystal and Cunard. On Royal, it's technically required but not enforced, so a guy in a tux could end up at a table next to a guy in shorts.

As I've said, you do what you like (with regards to dress) and don't worry about everyone else. You'll enjoy yourself more that way.

I find this all very interesting. We are going on the Harmony in 68 days I have 2 staterooms booked for 5 people. Just the other day my mother says to me how many suits are you bringing with you...I thought she meant bathing suits...so I said 2. She said that my father was just going to not wear a tie. I was like *** are you talking about...she said for the formal nights....I was like yeah the formal nights are for the MDR and I will try to avoid them...she wasn't so happy about that....so there is my question....on formal nights if they still exist what will the majority of people be dressed like? I am not asking for ALL just the majority...TIA

I've never done My Time Dining, so I can't speak for the upper two floors. But my experience with the fixed dining floor is that the majority of men do go at least "smart casual" for the formal nights. As for how many are going suit and tie... I've never done a hard look around, so probably any guesstimate I give will be wrong.

As for myself, specifically... The cruises are usually generational with my parents, my family, and my brothers' families. And we go with one rule for dressing on formal nights - follow my dad's lead. Obviously, we hash that out before we leave, but this allows us to be (somewhat) coordinated when doing stuff like group pictures et al. So basically I'm not concerned with what other people are doing wrt dress.

I was just on Allure 2 weeks ago and someone at the table next to us complained to our head waiter about a guy wearing shorts. They were nice shorts with a nice polo shirt, definitely not shabby. They must have seen the guy walk into the dining room because when they pointed him out, I looked and you could not see he had shorts on because of the table cloth. The resolution RCCL employed was not to "turn away" the guy in shorts. They never talked to the shorts guy. Instead they moved the people that complained to another table in the dining room. I thought that was kind of funny but it worked. Regardless of the dress code I think RCCL heavily leans towards letting people dress as they like. They don't want to have a run-in with any passenger or embarrass anyone.

The head waiter told me that RCCL has lost some market share to NCL recently partly because NCL is drawing people wanting that more relaxed dress code. He told me people have told him they don't want to pack all the clothes it takes for a more formal dining experience nor do they want to spend as much time to get ready for dinner with so many fun things to do on the ships. However, they do want the service in the main dining room and don't want to go to the buffet. You just can't please everyone. Personally I couldn't care less what people wear to the dining room. I never pay attention to that kind of thing.

I just got off Allure of the Seas this Sunday. Other then the two formal nights there were tons of people who wore shorts, tees and flip flops in our main dining room (Silk) at the 5:30 seating. I foolishly battled my husband and college age sons before we left telling them they had to wear long pants and at least polo type shirts. Boy did I get an earful of complaining from them over this. I wish that whatever the rules are that they would stick with them. We took a whole lot of unnecessary clothing that ended up not getting worn. So frustrating.

Just off Radiance of Seas on September 17. I was happy that dress was NOT more formal than I experienced in the past. There were two formal nights, and they were typically driessier than nights designated “tropical” or “‘70’s” attire.

Hi Bobbi
Recently off Explorer and the sign outside the dining room only says no shorts, swim suits or flip flops.
People were still dressed in what ever and all could enter.

Hi Bobbi
Recently off Explorer and the sign outside the dining room only says no shorts, swim suits or flip flops.
People were still dressed in what ever and all could enter.
Well on our cruise, a person in obvious gym attire was turned away from breakfast in the MDR. The sign you mention was on our ship too.

It's always a great argument. Someone dresses up and they believe everyone should do the same so they can feel happy. How about, it's my vacation and I'll dress up if I want. Maybe everyone should have to wear shorts because that's what I like to wear. Is it so hard to pack some shorts? If I'm cruising and the temp is 90 with 99% humidity, I sure as heck don't want to sweat through dinner to make you feel happy. Is it possible for people to wear what they want and not worry about anyone else? Because the fact is, you will never be happy with what everyone else wears.

How about: You are a guest in someones home( okay, ship) and its polite to dress according to their suggestions? would you wear shorts to a funeral in Florida in August? ? a formal wedding ? a courtroom?

there are many different light weight fabrics for both men and women that are perfectly cool and comfortable in humid climates. personally, as a female I choose to wear sundresses and a light wrap for dinner. those same sundresses get me through a port call in nearly every place on earth. I also have several breathable slacks that take about an hour to dry off when hung in the cabin after a sweaty day of sightseeing. a bottle of febreeze and they can be worn a second time. my closet also includes a several skorts in fun prints.

or if you absolutely insist that you are only capable of wearing shorts, then follow the Bermuda model. belted, dressy with pleats, black socks and shoes( please no sandals though) no cut offs, no basketball shorts, no knit shorts better suited to the gym.

How about: You are a guest in someones home( okay, ship) and its polite to dress according to their suggestions? would you wear shorts to a funeral in Florida in August? ? a formal wedding ? a courtroom?
The problem with the “what about” argument is it doesn’t always provide an analogous context. Your first three comparisons are for things that you’ve been personally invited to. In that context, you will almost always conform to the request of the host.

A courtroom has no requirement to dress formally. The reason one does so is to, on a subconscious level, influence the judge and/or jury.

Eating in the MDR is more akin to a Mother’s Day brunch. There is generally no dress code for this, but if you dress up, it’s because you want to and it works for your group of diners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter