Royal Caribbean bringing back upscale dining!

Discussion in 'Royal Caribbean' started by Sleepyluke, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Sleepyluke

Sleepyluke DIS Veteran

2. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

Interesting.

You would think the Cruise Critic board would explode...but nothing as of this moment.

MillauFr, MelSpees and darnheather like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

This will affect our RCCL cruise to Hawaii. :worried: I prefer more casual dining attire.

It’s the food that should be “upscale.”

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  5. cadien

cadien DIS Veteran

There's a huge range between fancy and "no shorts and tanks." You can easily be casual/comfortable and still follow that rule. Unless the a/c is out, I guess.

OKW Lover, kiford, NS8VN and 6 others like this.
  6. darnheather

darnheather DIS Veteran

I wouldn't call this bringing back upscale dining. They are just saying no shorts or tank tops. That isn't difficult. Capris, slacks, skirts, sundress, polo shirt. Still not fancy. I'm sure young ladies and boys will still be allowed shorts.

7. Dug720

Dug720 DIS Veteran

Ok, I finally found ONE thread where someone was asking about it. The responses are pretty much "I've seen that but am getting conflicting information." So...TBD I suppose.

8. bobbiwoz

bobbiwoz I'm happy to dance with you!

You are right. We were on 10 night Princess Cruise in January, had no problems with what was expected.

darnheather likes this.
  9. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

Not wearing shorts is considered fancy attire?

10. starvenger

starvenger DIS Veteran

If they keep changing the dress code to address customer complaints, I expect that they'll reverse this reversal about 3 months from now. And then reverse again 3 months after that etc. ad nauseum.

And while people are up in arms about this, they'll raise the price of the specialty restaurants by $5 across the board, because no one is paying attention to that.

I mean, I guess we'll see if they actually enforce this. It's not like they did before.

I suppose it depends if you're wearing pants instead of shorts, or not wearing anything at all.

11. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

They do have not wearing anything cruises.

12. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS veteran

Apparently that's the current attitude toward how to dress.

13. apathetic

apathetic Mouseketeer

It's always a great argument. Someone dresses up and they believe everyone should do the same so they can feel happy. How about, it's my vacation and I'll dress up if I want. Maybe everyone should have to wear shorts because that's what I like to wear. Is it so hard to pack some shorts? If I'm cruising and the temp is 90 with 99% humidity, I sure as heck don't want to sweat through dinner to make you feel happy. Is it possible for people to wear what they want and not worry about anyone else? Because the fact is, you will never be happy with what everyone else wears.

smadath, darnheather, MikeGS and 4 others like this.
  14. nearlyfallinstar

nearlyfallinstar The line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me!

I don't think that a no shorts and no tank tops policy is asking too much for a dress code. You can be very comfortable and casual while following this dress code, so meh. :confused3 It isn't like you have to wear a suit and tie/dress and heels to go eat dinner.

MyDisWorld and HopperFan like this.
  15. PrincessShmoo

Is it so hard to pack long pants? Same answer for both questions - no.

I've never found the temperature in the dining rooms to be 90 degrees, or 99% humidity.

16. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

It's time to bring back the skort. I can't imagine why you'd pack long pants on a caribean cruise.

17. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

Not true. I'm happy with what other people wear. I honestly never pay attention. The only time I notice is if I see a grown women in a Minnie Mouse or Cinderella dress then I think they look stupid, but I still don't care whatever floats your boat...no pun intended.

MelSpees likes this.
  18. starvenger

starvenger DIS Veteran

That we know of. I mean, they do have charters every once in a while.

Anyway, I was just kidding around. Your original comment was phrased such that it could be interpreted in different ways.

19. PrincessShmoo

Well, some of us have really ugly legs, and just don't want to subject others to that view.

20. TestingH2O

TestingH2O DIS Veteran

This reminds me of student council. Teachers let students complain about food and dress code so they don't realize they are losing vacation days or something.

21. cruiser21

cruiser21 DIS Veteran

I have a coworker that goes on those cruises. She's from Europe I think it's more of a European thing.