Rollercoaster Built Specifically with Paraplegics in Mind - Feedback Needed!

kvarnadoe

Earning My Ears
Hello!

My name is Katie and I'm a senior at Colorado School of Mines studying Civil Engineering. My senior design team has been tasked with designing a roller coaster, specifically created for paraplegics. We have some preliminary ride concepts but are trying to ensure that they're user friendly and would make everyone feel comfortable riding the coaster, so I was hoping some people on the Disboards could provide feedback on their experiences with coasters at the parks! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Some questions we're looking to have answered are:

1) Our harness idea is similar to a rock-climbing harness with additional support for the upper body to help keep users in place. Would having a more intricate and snug harness affect your willingness to go on a coaster?

2) What are your main concerns with coasters currently; Is the motion of the ride too jerky? Are you comfortable with loops? Are there certain pieces of a coaster that are more uncomfortable for you like corkscrews or quick 180s?

3) About loading/queue: Would a higher loading station make a difference in your ease of access? Do separate loading areas make your experience better? Would having a wheelchair-parking area at the loading area be significantly easier than having to do a transfer?

I'm not a paraplegic - but I'm thinking adjustable harnesses would be a liability issue? How do you make sure they are adjusted safely and appropriately? Would the rider be responsible or the worker? Also, paraplegic means loss of the ability to use/feel the lower appendages, right? So there would be more of a need to keep those safe and supported. I'm thinking more along the lines of a lower body pod for support, and then something along the lines of the 5 point harness used in kids' combined with the over the shoulder padded restraints found on most inverted rollercoasters?

PADDING. My husband is a paraplegic and the softness of the seats are actually more important than the smoothness of hte ride. WIth softer seats, there is less concern about bruising of the tailbone and hips. Remember, this is not just a person who cannot move their lower body - the muscles have atrophied, so there is basically just skin over the bones. Sitting on a hard seat and bouncing on it can create bruises, which can lead to pressure sores.

Also, you may want to find a way to secure the feet, like toe loops. Not having my husband's legs banging around in inside of the ride car is another concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter