ROFR Thread October to December 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im with you, and @KeyRose Im sorry if we are being harsh. Dont take it that way. We want you to get a better deal is all. And i want RM to stop the marketing BS. It falls very close to the 'scummy' timeshare sales tactics you hear about.
Totally agree. Considering how bad the deal offered by world of dvc, and how they're sponsors with pretty much everyone and have a pretty loud megaphone (relatively) with their social media presence, that I feel that warning people like you guys did is just the right thing to do.

Of course as someone else said it's their money and they should feel free to spend it as they please. And to be fair all of this dvc and timeshare world is viewed negatively by most financial advisers, so it's not like we're not also making a bad investment as well. I'm sure if I told my family/friends I got into dvc but it was a great summer deal I'd still get the same scolding, and they'd be probably right.

But this sign and stay stuff is just extra sleazy...

Im with you, and @KeyRose Im sorry if we are being harsh. Dont take it that way. We want you to get a better deal is all. And i want RM to stop the marketing BS. It falls very close to the 'scummy' timeshare sales tactics you hear about.
It is a good deal for the SELLERS though because they took a stripped contract that probably would have sat their for a long time and found a way to get the contract sold without dealing with lowball offers…

I know we don’t really care about sellers on this thread, but in reality it’s who the brokerage companies are primarily aligned with.

Definitely not taking anything too personal. We all have our own opinions. I could’ve did it differently and still can but I’m good with my decision and that’s all that matters. Will definitely do better on the next one!

I think it's important to remember that people spend their money how they want and do the research that satisfies them. I don't disagree with the financial analysis of "sign and don't stay" but also don't want to make people feel badly about what they have decided works for them.
That's good if they know the analysis of it. Too many take the word of "what a great deal we've come up with" and assume that means for you the buyer and don't really analyze it beyond if they can make the monthly payment.
It's of course up to them to either know and don't care or else an opportunity to re-analyze if they had not previously. That is a choice as long as they know it. We are on the internet and have no idea if they realize it or not.

That's good if they know the analysis of it. Too many take the word of "what a great deal we've come up with" and assume that means for you the buyer and don't really analyze it beyond if they can make the monthly payment.
It's of course up to them to either know and don't care or else an opportunity to re-analyze if they had not previously. That is a choice as long as they know it. We are on the internet and have no idea if they realize it or not.
Well, I agree, except for some, they might choose not to care about analysis or to really find out more. Those of us who scour the ROFR threads might not be like that, we might in fact proceed to over-analysis, but in the end, it's just a matter of what money we all have to spend on a non-necessity and how much we value savings.

It is one of those. I honestly forgot about this thread and do wish I saw this before but I redid the numbers and it really isn’t worth it for me personally to save $2k for the hassle. This isn’t going to be a long term loan. But I will keep this thread in mind for my next contract. Im hoping to have this one paid off in two years and then buying another $160. Still debating if I should do the next one direct or not though.
Don’t feel too bad. I watch these threads and the market like a hawk and still got swept into a DVC purchase which wasn’t a good deal at the time. Probably same broker - lol! After a few purchasing missteps, we all learn. I wish I had someone tell me all the different options before we took the plunge. If the long-term plan includes buying another 160, and this contract is pretty dead for almost 2 years, have you considered just buying a larger, less $ per point contract? You might get a really nice deal plus only have to pay 1 closing, possibly have useable points sooner AND not be paying on something you can’t use for 2 yrs. Honestly, if keeping the monthly payment lower is your goal, maybe even crunch the numbers going direct with incentives. That nearly 4% difference in financing and DVC financing makes a big difference. We were set to buy VGF during fire sale. Now we’re looking at resale add-on contract @ $10k less, if financed - payment is about $70 difference. Bonus, if you got a December contract direct tomorrow you would get 2022 and 2023 points plus some skimpy Direct “perks”. Best wishes on whatever path you choose.

Well, I agree, except for some, they might choose not to care about analysis or to really find out more. Those of us who scour the ROFR threads might not be like that, we might in fact proceed to over-analysis, but in the end, it's just a matter of what money we all have to spend on a non-necessity and how much we value savings.
I don't disagree if it's about trying to scrounge out the absolute best deal. Some love that but it can take time too. The one in question is not that though. They could rescind and have a new one sent into ROFR within a day or two that is not stripped and not even need to negotiate. At that point it's not really different than burning money. Or I guess throwing it to the broker.

Don’t feel too bad. I watch these threads and the market like a hawk and still got swept into a DVC purchase which wasn’t a good deal at the time. Probably same broker - lol! After a few purchasing missteps, we all learn. I wish I had someone tell me all the different options before we took the plunge. If the long-term plan includes buying another 160, and this contract is pretty dead for almost 2 years, have you considered just buying a larger, less $ per point contract? You might get a really nice deal plus only have to pay 1 closing, possibly have useable points sooner AND not be paying on something you can’t use for 2 yrs. Honestly, if keeping the monthly payment lower is your goal, maybe even crunch the numbers going direct with incentives. That nearly 4% difference in financing and DVC financing makes a big difference. We were set to buy VGF during fire sale. Now we’re looking at resale add-on contract @ $10k less, if financed - payment is about $70 difference. Bonus, if you got a December contract direct tomorrow you would get 2022 and 2023 points plus some skimpy Direct “perks”. Best wishes on whatever path you choose.
I hadn't thought about that! Hmm 🤔. This does give some food for thought….

At the end of the day, it is your contract and your money so if you think 109 w/o closing cost on a fully stripped contract is worth it to you and your family then do you. I don't think anyone is trying to critique your purchase but rather offer up friendly advice that you could very likely do better. As a fellow SSR owner, I would like to welcome you home so Welcome Home. Regardless if you buy this contract or another one, welcome!
And yes I am in the "get out of this contract camp" but I can't speak from your perspective, just my own :-)
With that said, still waiting for my ROFR to clear......hopefully tomorrow!

@KeyRose When u have decided please feel free to send a PM to anyone here who has helped you. I’m sure anyone will help analyze a deal you are considering (u might have to get your post count up first before you PM). If anything, you might speed up your learning process.
My main gripe other than the financing, is the lack of points and the price isn’t great either. But if you can’t use the pts yet, the interest is super high, this is your first contract so it’s not like it’s matching a current use year you have, there is literally no reason to move forward with your purchase. (My $0.02). And SSR contracts are for sale with every broker imaginable.

@KeyRose When u have decided please feel free to send a PM to anyone here who has helped you. I’m sure anyone will help analyze a deal you are considering (u might have to get your post count up first before you PM). If anything, you might speed up your learning process.
My main gripe other than the financing, is the lack of points and the price isn’t great either. But if you can’t use the pts yet, the interest is super high, this is your first contract so it’s not like it’s matching a current use year you have, there is literally no reason to move forward with your purchase. (My $0.02). And SSR contracts are for sale with every broker imaginable.

I couldn’t agree more. Waiting until 2025 to use the points when you can easily get a contract with double points for a lower price just doesn’t make sense. What could be stopping you? Telling a broker you backed out? So what! It happens all the time. Trust me, they will still take your call and present an offer on the next contract.

And by the way, the seller of this contract is an investor from DVCRM. All contracts they list with the “2” after the resort acronym indicates investor. So they likely own the contract. Any other logical or normal seller (like us) isn’t going to agree to not have a buyer place a deposit in escrow.

Do as you please @KeyRose … we’re just trying to help you.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more. Waiting until 2025 to use the points when you can easily get a contract with double points for a lower price just doesn’t make sense. What could be stopping you? Telling a broker you backed out? So what! It happens all the time. Trust me, they will still take your call and present an offer on the next contract.

And by the way, the seller of this contract is an investor from DVCRM. All contracts they list with the “2” after the resort acronym indicates investor. So they likely own the contract. Any other logical or normal seller (like us) isn’t going to agree to not have a buyer place a deposit in escrow.

Do as you please… we’re just trying to help you.
What?!?!??! They might own this contract as well ? Is it possible it was a monera foreclosure or “take back” ?

I think this strategy would have to depend on how large the potential contract would actually be. The larger the contract, the harder they are to sell down the line, certainly resulting in less potential profit or even a possible loss. It always good to keep an exit strategy in mind. We’ve all seen various large point contracts sit on some resale sites for months and months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest