ROFR Thread July to Sept 2021 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You
Good luck! I’ve got a similar 220 point one for $127 I’m nervous about!

Thanks, good luck to you as well. You will probably be okay. I don’t think they have taken any AKV that high yet. I haven't seen anything above 117 on here… but it looks like DVC RM had one at 123 taken… so I’m a bit nervous now. Looks like mine is also going longer then what most have been taking the last little while witch makes me even more nervous…. That could just be the shutdown though.

This is spot on. Like I told my sales associate at DVCRM when offering on a contract, someone might be willing to over pay, but it’s not going to be me. Like you we held firm, missed out on several contracts there because people were willing to over pay the market price by upwards of $20pp, meanwhile we were patient and got one just at what we felt was the ROFR line. We also felt like these other buyers are contributing to the rapid price escalation. Certain brokers listing them at ridiculous prices is another factor as well. Just because someone lists something for a certain price doesn’t make it worth that price. However, the number of buyers willing to accept their high price and the number of high listings, with notes stating “only full price offer will be accepted” is shocking to me. With all these crazy prices I’m just glad we are done with buying points, for now.
I am with you. That’s why on my last 2 contracts I offered $30 less than the asking price. I got 1 for $10 less and the 2nd at $12.50 less and seller paid ‘21 MF.

I currently have 4 UY's (and I'm committed to not going beyond that!!). But, I use all my points from 3 of those UY's in the 7-11 month window. My one rule, I don't purchase contracts for the same resort in different UY's.
Similar for me. 3 resorts each in different UY. I use by AKV and BWV points exclusively at home (usually at 11 months since I target Value/Con at AKV and Std at BWV), and I use SSR as sleep around points. Different UY has never really been an issue. I have 3 contracts at SSR all the same UY. I did create a situation for me to manage however... I bought a small 25 pt direct back in 2017 when that was all it took to get member benefits. I later added my daughters to that contract, so they get benefits as well. Since the owners are different, that contract is now separate from the other SSR contracts. So once a year I need to book a stay, and then call MS and transfer the points between the two contracts and refresh the stay to consume the 25 transferred points.

I am with you. That’s why on my last 2 contracts I offered $30 less than the asking price. I got 1 for $10 less and the 2nd at $12.50 less and seller paid ‘21 MF.
On the ones listed at a certain broker we offered $20+ less than ask, because there really was no justification for their asking price. We explained in detail to our associate why we felt it was a reasonable offer, so he took them to the owners. We could never reach an agreement. At another site we only offered $10 less, and settled at $6 under asking, but it was a much more reasonable listed asking price, and it was equally or better loaded than the other site’s listings. So many of these contracts listed just make zero sense to me when you factor in price with restricted points available vs direct. But maybe it’s just my calculator that’s broken.

On the ones listed at a certain broker we offered $20+ less than ask, because there really was no justification for their asking price. We explained in detail to our associate why we felt it was a reasonable offer, so he took them to the owners. We could never reach an agreement. At another site we only offered $10 less, and settled at $6 under asking, but it was a much more reasonable listed asking price, and it was equally or better loaded than the other site’s listings. So many of these contracts listed just make zero sense to me when you factor in price with restricted points available vs direct. But maybe it’s just my calculator that’s broken.
A few weeks ago I offered $25 less than asking for a 200 point VGF contract asking $195, and the sellers immediately countered with $180. They came back down to reality pretty fast. I knew I could probably close at $175, but I didn’t think that price was worth it either and passed. I think buying VGF2 direct is better for us, and arguably a better deal with unrestricted points.

I have similar experienced. On certain broker I offered $10 less, she wrote back that the seller won’t do it for anything less than $3. I sure my offered never reached the seller since I got replied within 5 min. Good thing I waited and found my second contract a week later that $27.50 less than the other broker listed. Some broker are not reasonable since they want the higher commission. I don’t blame them since this is a seller market and that how they make their living.

I have similar experienced. On certain broker I offered $10 less, she wrote back that the seller won’t do it for anything less than $3. I sure my offered never reached the seller since I got replied within 5 min. Good thing I waited and found my second contract a week later that $27.50 less than the other broker listed. Some broker are not reasonable since they want the higher commission. I don’t blame them since this is a seller market and that how they make their living.
I've found that a lot of brokers are fine with submitting lower offers. I think a lot of them deal in volume and won't hold up a sale for a few hundred dollars extra in commission. On the other hand, if I were selling some of my contracts, I'd probably hold out for full price in this market.

I've found that a lot of brokers are fine with submitting lower offers. I think a lot of them deal in volume and won't hold up a sale for a few hundred dollars extra in commission.

A lot but not all. We contacted 4 different brokers about our BLT purchase. 1 said it would not get past ROFR for less than 175$ per point, a second told us her seller wouldn’t entertain anything less than 170$, and the other 2 were fine. Ultimately we bid 155$ on an original asking of 170$, they countered with 165$, and we all settled at 160$. We passed ROFR this week.

I do think some of the brokers are counting on prospective buyers not doing their homework on pricing, ROFR, etc.

A lot but not all. We contacted 4 different brokers about our BLT purchase. 1 said it would not get past ROFR for less than 175$ per point, a second told us her seller wouldn’t entertain anything less than 170$, and the other 2 were fine. Ultimately we bid 155$ on an original asking of 170$, they countered with 165$, and we all settled at 160$. We passed ROFR this week.

I do think some of the brokers are counting on prospective buyers not doing their homework on pricing, ROFR, etc.
What about some SSR are listening for less than $120? Do they want multiple offers over asking?

We've talked about it before since both of us were grabbing BLT at the same time but I had an identical experience. Had a few brokers that would only budge $2 from asking price and they were "firm". There wasn't even an instance of "let's meet half way" either. The minute they said firm I said nope lol They can sit there and wait with their "firm" counter. We were told by two agents at the same broker that nothing in the low 160s were passing ROFR and again I said that wasn't true because I've done my research. And as we know some of these brokers are board sponsors. I get wanting to make the most commission you can, but don't make it out like some of us are idiots and don't do our research before we actually put in an offer. I'm sure many don't bother doing the math and having fancy excel spreadsheets, but some of us do bother to do that before putting any offer out there.

I get wanting to make the most commission you can, but don't make it out like some of us are idiots and don't do our research before we actually put in an offer.
Agreed. Granted I am sure there are people who don’t do their research but for people who want to do their own research the internet makes it super easy. We thought we’d get past ROFR at 155$ and probably would have: going in we decided 160$ was the top of what we’d pay. But again we knew that in large part due to the dis boards!

fingers crossed you hear on your BLT soon!!

Does anyone know for sure if the website shutdown is effecting the ROFR process? It doesn’t seem like ROFR is something that would have anything to do with their website or point transferring system, but rather a decision that an actual person would make.

Does anyone know for sure if the website shutdown is effecting the ROFR process? It doesn’t seem like ROFR is something that would have anything to do with their website or point transferring system, but rather a decision that an actual person would make.
General wisdom has been ROFR will be held up. Data point- several people reported passing ROFR this past Monday and no one has since.

we passed on Monday and are assuming estoppel will be held up until they reopen. Please someone correct me if I’m wrong - I want control of our points!

We are interested in this, too. There seemed to be little to no movement with ROFR results over the last week. Our recent SSR purchase was submitted on June 24th, and we are REALLY hoping to hear before we visit WDW on July 29th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts