Rocket Rods is CLOSING for GOOD....

Michelle

<font color=darkgreen><i>"It's like Lord of the Fl
Yep, it's true, just read it in the Los Angeles Times this morning. Rocket Rods will be closed permanently due to continual problems with it.

I for one am disappointed, although it wasn't a headliner ride, it was kind of fun...and it offered a single rider's line.

Now what on earth will Disneyland put in it's place? Tomorrowland needs another attraction...

Gosh I read somewhere they are going to replace Rocket Rods with Buzz Lightyear!
I know my DS would love that!:)

Buzz would be great! I don't know how they'd do that where Rocket Rods is currently located, though, since the track is so spread out. Guess they'd have to build a whole new attraction, and since nothing has been announced I think we have a while to wait. :(

We can only hope! :)

Not a big suprise tho they have been closed for over a year.. It was a ride doomed from the start.... Maybe bring back the People Mover ? :) I know wishful thinking on my part...

What a shame! That was a fun ride, even the surround film in the waiting queue was fun. I wonder what they have in mind to replace it.

We will miss this ride, it was one of my kids' favorites.

Didn't one of the original concepts for the Rocket Rods include a Buzz-type interface? Targets would be set up all over roofs and stuff in Tomorrowland and you'd shoot things as you went? Maybe they'll be implementing that change, which would have the cars move slower, which is what that track was designed for in the first place.

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>Well, I'm glad that I was able to ride it when DL did have that ride. The kids & I all enjoyed it at night, and always took advantage of the single rider line. Maybe they can make two attractions, utilizing the theater space for one and the track for another. I really like Rajah's idea, though I don't know how that would work in the daytime.....

Amount of light doesn't really affect how a laser target would react, I don't think. It's just usually done more in the dark because it "looks neater" :)

I'm sooo glad we rode this last April when we were in SoCal for a family wedding. Otherwise, our kids (college-aged) would have never ridden it! It was the last thing we did on the day we were there and we waited for over well over an hour for it!

I am glad I got a chance to ride it.
Althought I heard alot of folks who prefered the people movers. I guess they will be happy.

Count me as another vote for Buzz.

Once it closed I never thought it would be back. Buzz would be fun, and something I would enjoy a great deal. I really do wish they'd update the People Mover, I love that ride on a busy day at WDW just to cruise around through things and take a breather. I do admit though that DL is getting far to many closed rides though. Tickets keep going up, and the rides get fewer.

I do admit though that DL is getting far to many closed rides though. Tickets keep going up, and the rides get fewer.

Amen no Roger Rabbit, no Rocket Rods, no 20,000 Leagues, no Skyway... Country Bear Jamboree is on its way out and they replace COP with Innoventions which I'm sorry to say isn't very popular...and we get Indiana Jones 6 rides gone in exchange for 2...And don't even get me started on DCA...

Is this a permanent closer? That was a GREAT ride. I never got a chance to ride the Rocket Rods. I was hoping to do it in 2002. What a double bummer!:(

Laz, Roger Rabbit closed several months age after a child was injured on the ride; they are making modifications to it and it IS supposed to open again at some point...no idea when, though!

I think they were putting most of their energy on the DCA attractions, and the budget didn't allow for development at DL. Let's just hope they do make the necessary improvements at both parks.

Roger Rabbit closed several months age after a child was injured on the ride; they are making modifications to it and it IS supposed to open again at some point...no idea when, though!

Rumor has it all modifications have been complete for some time but the ride hasn't reopened due to cost cutting...

I, for one, will miss it. I only rode it one time, but just having the things screaming around added to the Park experience.

MY DW and I did Buzz at WDW, and neither one of us liked it.

Hey guys, what were the Rocket Rods like? I assume they were using Test Track technology for it. Was it like a jacked up version of the People Movers? I'm very curious.

BTW; personally I don't like Buzz. I think the attraction is very cheaply done. When you do this ride and then ride Men In Black Alien Attack at Universal Studios Florida, there is NO turning back.

I really hope Car toon spin re-opens before I come there in June!

Quentin, it was on the old Peoplemover track, but the sleek cars accelerated very fast and took the corners hard. It went under and over the Monorail, Autopia, and most of Tomorrowland. It was a very cool ride. People use to queue up for hours to ride it. There was a surround movie in the queueing area inside, similar to the circlevision theatres at Epcot but not full screen all around. We will miss it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!