Rock n Rollercoaster in the wake of the possible change to Disney's Hollywood Adventure.

My idea is that the Animation Building can leave, and in return, a path links the RNRC area to the front of the park and breaks the dead end. Then, that area can have Disney Jr, a new show in the Mermaid building (Muppets relocation?), RNRC, and the new Flex theater for a "Studio Lot" area, right next to modern Hollywood (Hollywood Boulevard) and 1930s Hollywood (Sunset Boulevard), and that's the entire "Hollywood Land" area. And if they do that, the theme could stay the same, or change to something else. Guardians of the Galaxy would make sense, imo.
Mermaid building is likely gone wit toy story coming in. Animation is where Star Wars launch bay is going.

Mermaid building is likely gone wit toy story coming in. Animation is where Star Wars launch bay is going.

Launch Bay is presumably temporary... well 4-5 years temporary. So I guess there's a question about what happens to that building then. But that's a long way off.

Launch Bay is presumably temporary... well 4-5 years temporary. So I guess there's a question about what happens to that building then. But that's a long way off.

Temporary for Disney usually means 10+ years. Look at One Mans Dream and the sorcerers hat both temporary, one finally gone and the other on the way out.

Temporary for Disney usually means 10+ years. Look at One Mans Dream and the sorcerers hat both temporary, one finally gone and the other on the way out.

Very true. The reason I think this will be a little bit more temporary is that I think they will want the meet and greets in their Star Wars area when the expansion opens. But it's also designated a sort of "Blue Sky" area so if there is a further phase they might just transition it to that.

HTOT and RNRC have an intertwined story so you would have to adapt that as well

I'm not sure I see where there's an intertwined story between HToT and RnRC. Between the two though, i definitely see how HToT falls into the park's possible future theme of immersing guests into the movie/TV show. HToT to me seems like the epitome of what DHA (Disney's Hollywood Adventure) is looking to do. In HToT, the guests are put right into an episode of the Twilight Zone.

*On an off note, I wonder if any tweens who have NOT been to Disney, read Twilight zone, and immediately start thinking Vampires and werewolf boys who don't wear shirts. Hahahahaha.

Given all that's happening though, It's gonna be soooo long before any possibly re-brand could even be thought of. I go back to a comment Pete had said in Podcast episode for the week of 2015-09-01. He basically, said that the fact that Disney has not released many dates regarding the expansions, is really telling. I'm taking that to mean that the true opening dates for even sections of the expansions will come later rather than sooner than we expect.

Construction and further future opening dates, are truly becoming the running gag for Disney parks. It's a bit sad, but the way I'm choosing to look at this is this way: Since me and my family can only go to Disney every couple of years or so, due to logistics and finances...when we finally do go back, it will truly be a whole new WDW to explore and interact with.

Check this out...
RnRC could totally use this technology to work with the BIG HERO 6 concept, and add in possible video game elements (ala Toy Story Midway Mania).

There are a lot of issues with using that type of VR experience in a theme park setting, and they are ones that the theme park industry as a whole are trying figure out how to solve before you see it appear in parks:

1. Guest to Guest headset transfer. There is a market building now for sanitary head mounts/cleaning techniques. It's not an easy issue to solve when you combine the need for cleanliness, limited number of devices, and high guest throughput (VR headsets can get real gross, real fast).

2. Hardware/Software maintenance, stability, and costs. Smartphone based VR also has battery life issues that need to be solved.

3. Sim-Sickness

4. VR vs Immersive themeing. This is where the new Millennium Falcon ride comes in. It's said to be a new "virtual reality" experience according to ILMxLAB. This is (likely) the future of these types of experiences at Disney:

http://behindthethrills.com/2015/06...rk-endeavors-including-star-wars-attractions/

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing over whether or not an IP remains relevant in a Disney park. All of the parks have rides based off of movies that are decades old, which are, in turn, based off of stories that are more than a century old. You don't necessarily have to be intimately familiar with a property to "get it" and enjoy the ride.

The Twilight Zone was long past the height of its popularity when The Tower of Terror was built -- minor resurgence aside. The Rock n Rollercoaster works because it's fast and it's loud. Even people that don't like Aerosmith enjoy the ride. These are both good rides on their own and the IP is just flavor.

Attraction works the other way as well: my kids were passingly familiar with Aerosmith when they first went to DHS, thanks to my wife and me. After riding RnRC, they're big fans. They had no idea what The Twilight Zone was before going on the ride, but it was creepy and fun and it didn't matter. I honestly don't think it even occurred to them that The Twilight Zone was even a real show, and the best part is that it didn't really matter.

Disney doesn't do "flavor of the month" like Universal. No change is needed to either ride.

I think there's a lot of unnecessary hand-wringing over whether or not an IP remains relevant in a Disney park. All of the parks have rides based off of movies that are decades old, which are, in turn, based off of stories that are more than a century old. You don't necessarily have to be intimately familiar with a property to "get it" and enjoy the ride.

The Twilight Zone was long past the height of its popularity when The Tower of Terror was built -- minor resurgence aside. The Rock n Rollercoaster works because it's fast and it's loud. Even people that don't like Aerosmith enjoy the ride. These are both good rides on their own and the IP is just flavor.

Attraction works the other way as well: my kids were passingly familiar with Aerosmith when they first went to DHS, thanks to my wife and me. After riding RnRC, they're big fans. They had no idea what The Twilight Zone was before going on the ride, but it was creepy and fun and it didn't matter. I honestly don't think it even occurred to them that The Twilight Zone was even a real show, and the best part is that it didn't really matter.

Disney doesn't do "flavor of the month" like Universal. No change is needed to either ride.
I can't see them retheming ToT despite the rumors. RnRc sure go ahead retheme that all you want. ToT is arguably one of the best rides Disney has ever built.

In light of the rumoured theme park name change of Disney's Hollywood STudios to Disney’s Hollywood Adventure, I started thinking about wether a possible rebranding of the Rock n Rollercoaster could/should be done, to bring the attraction closer to the park’s new overall theme.

Personally, I love the attraction as it is …and in its self-contained environment, it’s a solid attraction that hits all the right points in story and attraction mechanics.

But...fast forward to Disney’s Hollywood Adventure…and the whole music adventure sort of feels out of place for the theme of guests being immersed in the movies.

Here’s my idea for the rebranded attraction:
Big Hero 6: Escape through San Fransokyo.

The story could go like this:

You are on a guided tour through the university where Hiro and his friends attend, and during the tour, the school is being attacked by a new Yokai (an unknown individual who has managed to steal the nanobot tech from Hiro and the previous Yokai...Professor Callaghan). Gogo, tells the audience that she has been working on a new ultrafast transportation system for the city…though it’s still in the prototype phase…it’s still the best and fastest way to get out of danger at the moment. You are quickly (but safely) ushered into the loading room, where the prototype trains, are deployed. The trains shoot out, and you manage to travel through the city as Yokai and the Big Hero 6 team do battle. At the end, you make it to the “San Fransoyoko central transportation center” where you see news vids of Big Hero 6 managing to heroically capture and contain the villainous Yokai.

Some attraction details.

· The video room shows how the story unfolds. The floors, could now have “rumbling” effects as the villain starts to attack the University.

· In the queue towards the trains, you could have rumblings sounding out, as well a “crumbling dust effects”

· New lighting/holographic effects would outline the interior of the ride, showing vids of the battle between the team and Yokai. I’d leave it to Imagineering to figure out how to give guests good views of that battle, despite the speed and thrill of the attraction. But, if anyone can figure that out, it would be the imagineers.

· Unsure if the attraction would take place in a nighttime setting (to go with the dark), or if they could possibly set it in a daytime setting (complete with a grand animated environment, featuring the sky of the city, buildings, etc)

· The sound system could be used to add sound effects of that battle adding to the immersion factor.

· Of course the central station has a “gift shop” that would sell Big hero 6 merchandise, and possibly have a Hiro/baymax meet and greet nearby.

What do you guys think?

What would you possibly add/take away from my idea?

What would your idea be?
So I was one of the lucky ones who scored the special opening night of Star Wars The Force Awakens event here in Orlando. If you hadn't heard about it it came with a movie ticket the Day before the official release and an after hours night @ DHS. Well anyway Rockin' Roller Coaster used a star wars soundtrack just for that night. AWESOME! They could rebrand it into a star wars themed roller coaster. But unlikely they would change it.

There are a lot of issues with using that type of VR experience in a theme park setting, and they are ones that the theme park industry as a whole are trying figure out how to solve before you see it appear in parks:

I agree that there are certainly issues with using VR, but it could be a less expensive way to add many effects and visuals, without having to build the physical items. But, such stuff I would leave to imagineering.

So I was one of the lucky ones who scored the special opening night of Star Wars The Force Awakens event here in Orlando. If you hadn't heard about it it came with a movie ticket the Day before the official release and an after hours night @ DHS. Well anyway Rockin' Roller Coaster used a star wars soundtrack just for that night. AWESOME! They could rebrand it into a star wars themed roller coaster. But unlikely they would change it.

I agree...no change is truly needed. I love both RnRC as well as ToT as they are. But, if changes WERE going to be done, I always felt that BH6 could work. A Star Wars re-skin would work as well...but you already have Star Tours, so why re-work a physical coaster to a similar theme?

I agree that there are certainly issues with using VR, but it could be a less expensive way to add many effects and visuals, without having to build the physical items. But, such stuff I would leave to imagineering.

I agree...no change is truly needed. I love both RnRC as well as ToT as they are. But, if changes WERE going to be done, I always felt that BH6 could work. A Star Wars re-skin would work as well...but you already have Star Tours, so why re-work a physical coaster to a similar theme?

A Star Wars re-skin doesn't make sense given its location in the park.

I'm not convinced the VR technology is where it needs to be yet in terms of price, reliability and motion sickness issues. Right now I think it actually might be more expensive than the alternatives (or just a bad experience.)

Less expensive in terms of startup time (theoretically). Much more expensive in terms of guest experience and getting it right.

VR is easy to create demos that might work. Developing VR into something for everyone is very difficult (speaking with first hand experience).

I'm not a big fan of bringing VR to Disney parks. Many Six Flags are adding it to their coasters, and I've read that some parks in Europe have been experimenting with that too, mostly to mixed reviews.

I personally see VR as an excuse for theme parks to stop spending money on theming, but maybe that's just me. I'd rather have physical stuff to actually feel like I'm part of a story.

I'm not a big fan of bringing VR to Disney parks. Many Six Flags are adding it to their coasters, and I've read that some parks in Europe have been experimenting with that too, mostly to mixed reviews.

I personally see VR as an excuse for theme parks to stop spending money on theming, but maybe that's just me. I'd rather have physical stuff to actually feel like I'm part of a story.
It works for six flags because they don't do a lot of theming as it is.

I honestly believe this will stay branded to Aerosmith. Why change that when you have tower of terror right there also. Leave that section of the park alone.

This thread was started long ago...but in light of the announcement of Tokyo Disney's expansion (which will include an attraction inspired by Big Hero 6, i wonder if perhaps they stole...errr appropriated my suggestion. Mwahahaha. Would be kinda cool if they actually did, but I think it may end some kind of interactive meet and greet with Baymax, ala Turtle Talk with Crush.

Wow...that long huh (just for a name change...oh well)? If that's how long it might take before Disney even considers a rebranding of the park and any attractions, I wonder how relevant BH6 might be at that time. Maybe a sequel would have hit the screens by then. :)

BH6 TV series starts this Fall. A second season has already been ordered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter