Rock N Roller Coaster and Motion Sickness?

doctorintheTARDIS

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys!

Was just wondering if there is anyone out there that both suffers from motion sickness and rode Rock N Roller Coaster without much of an issue?

I know that I'll never know how my body will react until I try it, but I thought I'd ask around!

I can generally handle regular roller coasters (I've done big ones-- IE: The Hulk at Islands of Adventure) as long as I ride them once with breaks in between.

I've done rides that launch you like RNR and then send you straight up in the air and back down, but were outdoors.

What I'm really worried about is it being in the dark and it having similar issues to something like reading in a car (moving and not seeing whats moving). For example, I felt a bit ill during the Forbidden Journey ride at Islands of Adventure....

Hopefully there's someone out there that can help me out with this :D

My husband has motion sickness and rode it. He never vomited but did feel pretty queasy. He generally takes Dramamine daily during our trips and forgot it that day.

I think if you can ride Hulk you can ride RnRC.

I really don't like the ride. But the first time was worse because I let my head get tossed around between the sides of the restraint. If you've been on California Screamin' at DCA, it's like that. Do NOT look around. Look straight forward with your head against the back. Don't let your head move around, or you're going to slam your ears against the restraint.

Half the time when I've ridden Forbidden Journey I feel ill. I've realized that I have to have a perfect level of hydration and, hmm, food'ation to feel OK on a ride like that.

Like others mentioned, look straight ahead and make sure you have something in your stomach. I finally rode it last month snd rode on an empty stomach, was a bit queasy, but rode later after we ate and it was great.

Being prone to motion sickness, I'm surprised I can ride RNR. However, the "level of darkness" of Space Mountain is problematic for me.

To be safer, maybe try taking a Bonine an hour before you ride?

I agree with PP, RnRC shouldn't be an issue. Its not as dark as Space Mountain, and goes so quick its over before you have time to get sick. The ride at HS I struggle with is Star Tours :( I love it, but it makes me queasy every time!

I agree that you'll probably be fine (and echo the advice to look straight ahead). I get sick in an instant reading in cars, but the only thing I won't ride at Disney even once due to motion sickness is Tower of Terror. All the mountains are fine, Star Tours gets my vertigo going but I just close my eyes for a little bit, Everest is OK one time, and my family knows teacups are not permitted to spin in my presence. RnR is intense but not a really big vertigo thing for me.

I get motion sick - Universal killed me and Forbidden Journey was a one long torture. Dueling Dragons about killed me - that whole day almost ruined the entire trip as went to Universal first. I fought the motion sickness the rest of the trip,

RnR can get me a bit queasy and the front is much better. But is not in the same league as Forbidden Journey or Mission Space. Motion simulators are much worse for me. Space Mountain is worse than RnR. RnR is my absolute favorite at WDW

I take Bonine- works better on me than Dramamine, and no drowsy feeling. I ride RNR just fine. It's not "dark" so you can see where you're headed. Now, pretty much EVERY 4D ride at Universal made me nearly puke. I felt sick both days there, and the Bonine didn't help. Had to keep my eyes shut tightly, and the Hogwarts ride nearly killed me, or so I thought. I honestly thought I was going to barf, and faint from the claustrophobic conditions and the heat.. Same experience on Star Tours and that God awful SPACE ride at Epcot.

I suffer from motion sickness now and don't bother with Dramamine. I just wait for other party members who will ride for things I don't care for /make me fell a little queasy. Here for example are things I skip. I will skip Gringott's, Forbidden Journey, Hulk, and Dueling Dragons at Universal. I also skip all the Universal simulator rides (Simulator rides are the worst for me and I don't really like them anyway.) I'll also be skipping the Wild Artic simulator ride at SeaWorld and Kracken. I would (if we were going to Animal Kingdom) also be skipping the coaster with the Yeti there. I won't be doing Star Tours at DHS either, another simulator. I skip all carnival type spin rides too.

DHS: I will do Rock in Roller coaster, though, as it's not too bad and I like riding to Aerosmith tunes. I think the jerkiness is worse than the queasiness, but not bad enough for me to skip. I try to do front if I can. I may even ask if they can put me closer to the front this time due to the jerkiness bothering me. Drop rides don't bother me (I love those actually) and I will do Tower of Terror (my second favorite ride in all of Disney).

At SeaWorld: I still do Manta (I just love that first big loop).

At the MK I still do Thunder Mountain, 7DMT, and Space Mountain. I feel things a little on Space Mountain, but I like the special effects a lot and still do it. (If it weren't for the special effects I'd skip for motion sickness reasons).

I find that I can do a few things where I feel the motion, but am quite selective. Doing stuff that would bother me all day might mean I feel queasy all day vs. maybe five minutes here or there.

At Epcot (won't be going to the park this next trip) but if I were going I would still do Test Track and Soarin (a simulator I actually love that doesn't bother me).

Last edited:
You sound similar to me, and I can ride it at least once. Multiple times would push it. You can see, sort of. And I thought it was much smoother than SM. i have now gone on it about five times. To put it in perspective, I cannot even sit as a passenger in a car without some level of motion sickness. Reading is impossible. Motion simulators are a guarantee for hours of nausea. But I can ride roller coasters. RnR is a fun one!

I suffer from motion sickness. Can't ride Mission Space Orange or the Tea Cups without losing my lunch. I have gotten a little woozy after riding RnRc once or twice throughout the years. Same for EE.

I can get motion sickness from reading in a car on a 5 minute trip. I take Dramamine every day of my trip (less drowsy, all day kind) Even with Dramamine, RnRc made me queasy. That and Star Tours are the only Disney rides I can't do. Closed my eyes on star tours within about 20 seconds. At Universal, I can't do Minions and didn't even try forbidden journey since I saw multiple people vomiting coming off it. I'm not a fan of big coasters so didn't try Hulk or any of the others at Universal.

ETA- there are some rides I just know to not even try. Circle rides are one of them so no teacups for me!

I don't get motion sickness (although the older I get the more time I need before a second roller coaster in a row) but I'd say if you can do Hulk you should be fine with RnR. I'd think Forbidden Journey is FAR worse from a motion sickness perspective because of the jerky movements and the changes in direction. RnR is fast but mostly smooth.

Still didn't do this one this past time, we were considering doing it as a last ride of the night but then we weren't in the area at the time and then we had to get a place for the Star Wars fireworks. Maybe someday we'll try it, we're always a bit uneasy about it

Hi Guys!

Was just wondering if there is anyone out there that both suffers from motion sickness and rode Rock N Roller Coaster without much of an issue?

I know that I'll never know how my body will react until I try it, but I thought I'd ask around!

I can generally handle regular roller coasters (I've done big ones-- IE: The Hulk at Islands of Adventure) as long as I ride them once with breaks in between.

I've done rides that launch you like RNR and then send you straight up in the air and back down, but were outdoors.

What I'm really worried about is it being in the dark and it having similar issues to something like reading in a car (moving and not seeing whats moving). For example, I felt a bit ill during the Forbidden Journey ride at Islands of Adventure....

I have horrible motion sickness in cars, planes, boats....basically anything that moves. I drive just fine and I'm ok riding in a car IF I'm in the front seat and not trying to look at anything in printed form, but forget it if I need to look at the GPS or a map....I'm sicker than a dog in 5 minutes or less. For amusement park rides, I've always been OK, but I noticed this past summer that I wasn't able to handle "big time" rides (coasters, dark rides, etc.) as well as I used to. I'm blaming that on getting older. Dramamine (which is the same active ingredient as Benadryl, by the way) does nothing for me...neither does the Bonine. This is our first trip to WDW and our kids are 7 and 8....I REFUSE to let motion sickness dampen the fun for my kids. So, I went to the doctor and got a prescription for the Transderm-Scop. It's the little round patch alot of people wear behind their ear when they go on cruises. 1 patch works for 3 days (tho, you have to be careful if you are going to be doing alot of swimming). There are 4 patches in a box and the pharmacy will not break the box (meaning, you have to get the entire box). Both my husband and I got a box for our trip. It's worth a try! You still have time to get a script before your trip. :)

I have horrible motion sickness in cars, planes, boats....basically anything that moves. I drive just fine and I'm ok riding in a car IF I'm in the front seat and not trying to look at anything in printed form, but forget it if I need to look at the GPS or a map....I'm sicker than a dog in 5 minutes or less. For amusement park rides, I've always been OK, but I noticed this past summer that I wasn't able to handle "big time" rides (coasters, dark rides, etc.) as well as I used to. I'm blaming that on getting older. Dramamine (which is the same active ingredient as Benadryl, by the way) does nothing for me...neither does the Bonine. This is our first trip to WDW and our kids are 7 and 8....I REFUSE to let motion sickness dampen the fun for my kids. So, I went to the doctor and got a prescription for the Transderm-Scop. It's the little round patch alot of people wear behind their ear when they go on cruises. 1 patch works for 3 days (tho, you have to be careful if you are going to be doing alot of swimming). There are 4 patches in a box and the pharmacy will not break the box (meaning, you have to get the entire box). Both my husband and I got a box for our trip. It's worth a try! You still have time to get a script before your trip. :)

Be careful with the patches! I got them for scuba diving because a lot of my fellow divers use them for seasickness (on the boat before we dive) and I got the OK from my doctor (they don't come off all that easily to be honest, divers wear them for hour long dives with full head hoods and they don't fall off). I ended up having blurry vision for 5 days afterwards and extreme dry mouth. Apparently side-effects are VERY common for them, so if you start feeling any weird things take the patch off immediately because it only gets worse! I sincerely hope that they work for you though! Motion Sickness sucks :(

Hi Guys!

I do get motion sickness and have ongoing vertigo.

Forbidden Journey makes me very sick, hate the technology ..... LOVE RnR. Could ride it many times without stopping.

Best bet is ask to sit up towards the front. Smoother and head rolls less.

My DD and I both get motion sickness. Bonine doesn't work for us so we use Dramamine and are fine on all of the rides :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter