Road trip help please.

All I can say is........WOW!! I am beyond amazed!
Now if I can just figure out how to get this wonderful stuff out of my computer and onto actual paper, I'll have it made!!
Thanks so very much for all that you do for your disney friends!!

So glad that you like everything. Hopefully you won't have any problems printing as I tried to put helpful printing tips with the things I made, but if you do have any problems send me a pm and I can help.

Here is a "disney" travel scavenger hunt for pre-schoolers. I made this 6x7 inches:

ScavengerHuntPre-School2.jpg

Here is another one for boys...since there are sooo many paper dolls for girls. It is also 6x7 inches:

ScavengerHuntPre-School3.jpg

Wal-mart usually has colored backpacks on sale for around $5 right before school starts that are great to fill up with Disney things from dollar stores and/or print off things from this thread and hang a tag off of if you are flying or driving to WDW or DL.

Nothing is more fun than getting a surprise the day of the trip, and there is no better way than to fill a travel bag full of "disney" things. For just $10 you can fill up a backpack at most dollar stores. You can find...playing cards, puzzles, crossword puzzles, coloring books, crayons, pencils, markers, games, squeeze bottles/drink cups, miniature disney characters, mazes, magnets...the list goes on. Keep your eyes open and look in the game isle and the office supply section any time you happen to be in one...or just once a month stop in with $5 to spend and put your disney finds in a "future disney trip" box. That is what I do!!! They also come in handy when your kids have a party to go to and you don't have time to shop for a present. I have put together Disney travel bags for other kids out of my stash when I knew their family was planning a future trip!

If you need to see a picture of a bag to get a better understanding...scroll through this thread to get ideas and see a picture of one mom's travel backpacks...I think on the second page in post #27: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2005108&page=2
but beware...she also has posted tons of pictures for things that she made for her trip and you may find more things you will want to make for your trip! I know if you are on these boards that you are working hard to make your own trip extra special for your family and I guarantee it will be magical!!!

Here is a blank tag that looks really cute hanging off a red backpack. Add your child's name below Mickey to make it extra special! You can also have their name embroided on the backpack. Most companies charge between $5-10. If you have $5 to waste...I'm wondering if you could iron on a design to the backpack. If you decide to attempt it...please post how it worked on this thread for future trips! If you don't have money to possibly throw away...some sewing stores (I think it is JoAnn's) have pre-embroidered disney characters that you could add to the backpack to give it that extra special touch/personalization!

BackpackTag.jpg

To make the tag last...buy the sturdy baseball card holders (not the flimsy ones). You can get a box of 35 for under $4 at Wal-mart where they sale their baseball cards (in most Walmarts this is near the registers). Then in the office supply section they sell metal rings that open up and come in different colors (there are 6 or 8 to a pack for under $3), or you can buy clear plastic zip/cable ties in the hardware section (they come around 20 per pack for under $3). Then insert the card in the baseball card holder, punch a hole at the top and secure to the backpack with either the ring or zip tie. Since you are buying a pack of baseball cards...use them also for luggage tags with zip/cable ties and name tags with lanyards!!!

Here are two more...one girly and one if you don't want a character:

Cinderella.jpg

WDWCastle.jpg

If you need a tag personalized...here is a great thread with wonderful tags that a DISigner will personalize for you:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2062559

Here are some different "Vehicle Bingo" cards...it only made sense to make some with the "Cars" characters. If you are throwing a "Cars" birthday party, all of the travel games with "Cars" characters on them would make great favors!

I made these cards 6x7 inches. Make sure you laminate them and use dry erase markers so that you can use them more than once. I purchased a laminating machine for $30 at Walmart and it worked great!:

VehicleBingo3Cars.jpg

VehicleBingo1Cars.jpg

VehicleBingo2Cars.jpg

VehicleBingo4Cars.jpg

I finally took the time to get organized so that you can find all of my travel games in one place. I added a link to my shared file in my signature below. Have fun travels!

Some great ideas in this thread. Thanks so much to everyone. We will be driving from Massachusetts to Orlando in October. Always on the lookout for ideas to keep my 8 yo busy.:):)

Donna

Milliepie...love the new outfits!!!

Here are a few pics of some travel games that I made as a party favor for my son's birthday in case someone wanted to see how they look and a great way to store them for traveling. I laminated the game and lacing cards to make them extra sturdy and so that they can be used over and over again. I purchased the dry erase markers at Walmart and they come with small erasers on the end which is great for wiping off the cards at the end of the game!

Here they are in a pencil bag which you can get in a lot of great colors at Wal-mart during the back to school sale for $1! There is plenty of room and I can fit more games in the bag. Also, you can throw the bag in your glove box or under a seat and forget about it until you are on your next road trip and the kids complain about being bored.
IMG_0759.jpg

Lacing Cards
IMG_0760.jpg

Sink the Pirate Ship...these are 8.5x5.5 (half a sheet of regular paper) which is a great size to store in pencil bags!
IMG_0763.jpg

Tinks Tic-Tac-Toe
IMG_0764.jpg

I made this for a different thread and thought I would post it here in case someone could use it for their travels. It is a "one world...four parks" crayon holder for a 24 crayon pack. If you want a special "disney" crayon holder for your child, I left one side blank so that you can insert a text box and personalize for your child.

Crayon4Parks1World.jpg

To print: Open up a word document and set the margins to .5 in the "page setup" and make sure the paper orientation is set to landscape.

Then copy and paste the crayon box image directly from this thread. To do this right click on the image and then paste directly into the word document. If you right click and choose the "save as"...it may change the dimensions and the measurements I listed below may not work.

Next, check the picture size by clicking on the image then go to "format" then click on "picture" in the drop down menu then click on the "size" tab and it should be 7.24 x 8.51 inches. Before you print a bunch of these and waste ink and paper...print one and put together to make sure the size is correct by either sizing it against a 24 crayon box from the store or putting crayons in it to make sure that they fit. I don't want you to waste ink and paper if for some reason the dimensions that worked for me don't work for you.

To personalize for your child or family...here is how to insert a text box:
• First copy and paste the image you want to add a name, word or words to.
• Next make sure that your cursor is below the image that you want to insert a text box over by hitting return twice.
• Then look for the tab at the top of word that says "insert", click on it and scroll down and click on "text box".
• Next, a big box will show up on the screen that says text box...ignore this box but look for your mouse that will show up as an +. Move the +/mouse to where you want your text box to go then left click and drag the mouse to make the size box you want for the area you want the wording to go.
• Then go back up to the top of word and click on "format" and click on "text box" in the drop down menu.
• Look for the tab that says "colors and lines". In the fill section make sure the color box says "no color". In the line section make sure the color says "no line". Then the background will show through behind whatever text you type in the box and there won't be a line around the text box.
• Now you can type whatever you want inside the box by clicking inside the box and choosing font and size.
• If the box isn't the right size you can drag the corners and sides to make it the right size.

If you don't want to make your own...I often find Disney crayon boxes at the Dollar Tree.

Two different license plate games. I made these 8.5 x 5.5 (my favorite size for making these games!) Open up a word document and set the margins all to "0". When you see a popup that says "...outside printable area..." click ignore. I left enough white space that they should print just fine. Also make sure the paper orientation is set to landscape. Then copy and paste into your word document directly from this thread and go to "format" then "picture" and make sure the size is 8.5x5.5.

One of these cards already has the name of the states listed and one is blank. You can print both on the front and back of one sheet of card stock and use it as a learning tool to help teach your children where different states are on the map.

If you want to use it over and over to teach your child where to find states on the map...laminate the card. But this is a great one to not laminate, use a pen and keep around until you can find all of the license plates on the card! Then you can look back over it and see dates that you found the license plates.

LicensePlateBlankStates-Plates.jpg

LicensePlateGameStates-Plates.jpg

Dolly you do fantastic work!!!! I love everything. I just recently became a stay at home mom and I have to pinch my pennies, so I was wondering if you could email me the journal you have that uses less ink. I am still new here, so I will try to do the pm thing.

Thanks so much,

Cathy

Dolly,

Here is the generic vacation atlas you requested for this thread. I am unable to put the castle on Florida (only non-Disney for me). You are more than welcome to add it if you wish - you have my permission.

atlas_generic.jpg

Yesterday I was at the Dollar Tree and they had some sports related games that fold up and fit in a binder that are cute. (I haven't opened mine yet, but, I think they even have the binder holes already punched) They had football, darts, baseball, basketball, shuffleboard, golf and a few others.

Breakingd_awn came up with a fun idea for an FE gift that I thought would be great for the travel thread! These are "picture books" for infants, toddlers and pre-schoolers. Dawn suggested making them 5x5 inches which I think is a great size for little ones to hold and view. If you want to save on paper and ink...you can make them 4x4 and get four images on one page.

There are lots of ways that you can make these:
1. You can make them into board books.
2. You can laminate them (that way you can wipe them off when food or drink ends up on them and it makes it harder for a little one to destroy them) and punch a hole in the corner, then use plastic shower curtain rings to attach them all together. Then attach the shower curtain ring to children's linking rings and to attach the book to a stroller or car seat. This was a trick that I saw on a Martha Stewart show!
3. If you wanted to make a really fun personalized book and you have been to Disney before...use the pictures you took with different characters by putting them on one side of the card and on the backside have the character's name.
4. Instead of making them into a book...you could print doubles 2-3 inches in size and use them for a Memory Game by placing the cards upside down and flipping one over at a time and flip a second trying to find it's match. When you get two that match set them aside. If they don't match...turn them back over and start again until all the cards are matched.

These great covers were made by Bababear (Mel). One is for those going on a Disney Cruise the other is for road trips:

disneybookbaby7.jpg

roadtripdolly7.jpg

Pages made by me of the Fab Five Babies:

BabyMickey.jpg

BabyMinnie.jpg

BabyPluto.jpg

BabyGoofy.jpg

BabyDaisy.jpg

BabyDonald.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter