Riviera resale restrictions lifting: possible

You do not think Disney would be so sneaky to reverse decision on Riviera resale for now and after the resort is close to selling out, put them back on-----Or would they?

I think here is the thing. Disney has to be able to explain it to future potential buyers.

Remove and then re-adding them later I don't think would be able to be explained. While people might not like the resale restriction I think its fairly straight forward and there is no "gotcha" that is associated with it.

Of course I have no way of knowing, but I suspect if the dreadful resale restrictions on Riviera were reversed today, tomorrow some people's reasons for not buying Riviera would be the per point price tag, higher than normal point charts, high maintenance fees, and not liking the Skyliner. People that like Riviera will buy regardless and people that don't like it will simply find other reasons to stay away.

Of course I have no way of knowing, but I suspect if the dreadful resale restrictions on Riviera were reversed today, tomorrow some people's reasons for not buying Riviera would be the per point price tag, higher than normal point charts, high maintenance fees, and not liking the Skyliner. People that like Riviera will buy regardless and people that don't like it will simply find other reasons to stay away.
I think half of the people would change their excuse for not buying it. The other half would consider it. I know I would.

I think you’re right about some-for me, though, I hadn’t even watched the room tour videos because I knew we wouldn’t buy with the restrictions. After reading this thread, I went and watched :). I would like a resort close to
Epcot after our first BWV stay last March, but want a longer expiration, so this would be tempting. The rooms are lovely-though still the high point cost is a sticking point. And as someone who has been obsessively reading home design blogs as we remodel, I think a lot of the decor choices they made here are right at the point of moving out of style...I like them now, but it think they may quickly look so “late 2010s” to us.

Whether or not RIV is selling better or worse or even the same as CCV right now, they have a TON more points to sell for this resort and unless theyslow the build on reflections, they will have to pull all the stops out to blow out the RIV points.

Disney left a lot of money on the table for years and they are now trying to recapture as much as possible without hurting themselves. they are just experimenting and testing the limits of the customers demand. IMO they have pushed the envelope with the restrictions and will pull back soon.

I think if RIV was a smaller resort they would be less nervous and let it ride a bit longer. But because of the size, they are more vulnerable especially with other capital projects in the pipeline

it might happen in a more creative way than just dropping the restrictions.

They have in fact created an unofficial tiered system. They could just make it official and have tiered system (Within the legal bounds of course).

It’s what they want and it also makes sense strategically for them.

I’m not sure they can do it, but Marriott and Hilton give priority status for total number of direct points owned for booking resorts...

There are a lot of ways they can go, but the restrictions “as is” are a very clumsy way of trying to achieve their goals and it will be modified within the next 9 months. IMO

Last edited:
Our guide did not mention the restriction going away and when I voiced our concern regarding it he merely stated that when selling resale it won't be so much of a problem since whoever buys it is already wanting it to stay there only, nowhere else. He then segued into how he has clients on the waitlist for years for certain resorts and that RIV will be the same and will use resale to get there faster.

we didn’t buy RIV, just sharing our experience during the call.

Whether or not RIV is selling better or worse or even the same as CCV right now, they have a TON more points to sell for this resort and unless theyslow the build on reflections, they will have to pull all the stops out to blow out the RIV points.

Disney left a lot of money on the table for years and they are now trying to recapture as much as possible without hurting themselves. they are just experimenting and testing the limits of the customers demand. IMO they have pushed the envelope with the restrictions and will pull back soon.

I think if RIV was a smaller resort they would be less nervous and let it ride a bit longer. But because of the size, they are more vulnerable especially with other capital projects in the pipeline

it might happen in a more creative way than just dropping the restrictions.

They have in fact created an unofficial tiered system. They could just make it official and have tiered system (Within the legal bounds of course).

It’s what they want and it also makes sense strategically for them.

I’m not sure they can do it, but Marriott and Hilton give priority status for total number of direct points owned for booking resorts...

There are a lot of ways they can go, but the restrictions “as is” are a very clumsy way of trying to achieving their goals and it will be modified within the next 9 months. IMO
IDK, Aulani is now 10+ years selling and there doesn't seem to be any urgency in selling the remaining points......

unless theyslow the build on reflections

The build on Reflections just barely has shovels in the ground, so I'm not sure there is any speed involved there right now. Much like other labor, there's not a surplus, and they have a lot of cap projects going right now.

Probably wouldn't cost much now to just make those people whole. Can't believe there are very many of them.

FWIW, I personally don't think it will happen and is just wishful thinking on the part of some sales guides. DVD is in this for the long haul.

I agree. If they reverse it, they will set a precedent for the future. People will hold out waiting for a change on the next thing that happens

I would also add that guides frequently wish things out loud that they do not actually know a thing about, and couldn't have advance notice of due to it being material information. Material information that impacts a real estate price can't just be told to all the CMs in advance of a public announcement. Especially a group of CMs who spout off a lot.

Our guide did not mention the restriction going away and when I voiced our concern regarding it he merely stated that when selling resale it won't be so much of a problem since whoever buys it is already wanting it to stay there only, nowhere else. He then segued into how he has clients on the waitlist for years for certain resorts and that RIV will be the same and will use resale to get there faster.

we didn’t buy RIV, just sharing our experience during the call.
Wow, is your guide in la-la land.

They will not reverse the restrictions. That would be the leadership at Disney admitting a major mistake. That never happens at Disney. If sales remain sluggish after RIV opens they will increase incentives for buyers instead of removing restrictions.

The RIV restrictions are never going to go away, No matter what happens with sales. People need to realize this. That is just how Disney operates.

While you may be right, this is the first time the direct product has changed so drastically so while I am sure a lot of people blaming the restrictions are blowing smoke, some like myself actually would consider it. With the restrictions I wouldn't.

They will not reverse the restrictions. That would be the leadership at Disney admitting a major mistake. That never happens at Disney. If sales remain sluggish after RIV opens they will increase incentives for buyers instead of removing restrictions.

The RIV restrictions are never going to go away, No matter what happens with sales. People need to realize this. That is just how Disney operates.

I think there could be ways where the can “evolve” the restrictions and still save face

I agree. The restrictions are in the deeds themselves. For Disney to reverse course, they would have to quitclaim that interest or otherwise have the deeds reissued to remove the restriction. Talk about a total pain in the paperwork department. You will have people who regrettably passed away and have a pending probate, or a pending bankruptcy, or who got a divorce and now the nature of the community property interest has changed, etc. It will be infinitely easier for Disney to just offer better incentives and keep the restriction in place.

I would have considered Riviera for sure. The resale restrictions made it a no go, so I bought another SSR resale instead. As that was my fourth contract it’s now likely my last, but I also said that after number 3 so I could still be tempted if they removed the restrictions and I decide to buy more points, or I’m blown away by it when visiting at Xmas.

I would also add that guides frequently wish things out loud that they do not actually know a thing about, and couldn't have advance notice of due to it being material information. Material information that impacts a real estate price can't just be told to all the CMs in advance of a public announcement. Especially a group of CMs who spout off a lot.

Exactly, that would be veering into insider trading territory, too.

They did reverse the 2020 point charts. That could have been related to a growing desire to start a lawsuit, but it also could have been just because they were admitting a mistake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter