Riviera murphy bed fell off of the wall

Ironic timing ... I just received an email from DVC encouraging me to add on at Riviera.

Subject: Save $750 or more when you add on at our new Resort!
Date: Wed, Dec 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Dear xxxxxx Family,

There’s still time to save $750 or more this holiday season, when you give your family the gift of more Vacation Points at the newly opened Disney’s Riviera Resort!

With more Points, your family can visit this getaway more often and lounge in luxury, or take the Disney Skyliner to discover new adventures — like Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure, projected to open Summer 2020 at Walt Disney World® Resort.

Lock in the current rate before the price-per Vacation Point at Disney’s Riviera Resort increases from $188 to $195 on 1/29.
CALL (866) xxx-xxxx

LEARN MORE
xxx xxxxxx
Your Disney Vacation Club® Guide
Disney Vacation Club | Stay Magical Year After Year

Offer requires Members to add on a real estate interest in Disney’s Riviera Resort equal to at least 150 Vacation Points. Savings is a credit off the purchase price and does not represent any portion of the minimum down payment required of at least 10%, depending on qualified financing. Offer to save $750 expires 1/28/2020. Offer cannot be combined with select offers or discounts and may be extended, modified, or withdrawn at any time without notice. Additional restrictions may apply.

I got the same email and deleted it without reading it. Once you posted this, I went back and read it. Yikes! I knew they would increase the price, but $188-$195 is more of an increase than I was expecting.

I got the same email and deleted it without reading it. Once you posted this, I went back and read it. Yikes! I knew they would increase the price, but $188-$195 is more of an increase than I was expecting.
There’s a full month before the price increases. Usually there seems to be a bit less notice. I feel like they’re trying to push people to buy now under pressure of impending cost increases.

And now all Murphy beds are "out of order" in the resort. That's not the best thing to hear. Hopefully it is just being over cautious and not some major construction boo boo

And now all Murphy beds are "out of order" in the resort. That's not the best thing to hear. Hopefully it is just being over cautious and not some major construction boo boo
Hopefully so, but it makes me wonder.

I saw someone report that maintenance had come into their room yesterday and put more anchors/screws into theirs to better secure it to the wall (not a lot of details were given as to what was actually done).

I got this email from my guide yesterday talking about Aulani.

Lock in the current rate before the price-per Vacation Point at AULANI increases from $188 to $193 on 1/29.

Seems like Aulani will be cheaper by $2 a point over Riviera. Maybe this is just a marketing technique they want to try out.

I just got off the phone with a CM regarding our upcoming reservation for 5 in a 1-bedroom. She said the murphy bed problems only affected deluxe studios . . . ? Is is possible this contractor only installed these units in the studios and not in any other room categories? I'm really concerned about anyone sleeping on the pull-down, but I suppose if we show up and the "do not use this bed" sign is down it means they inspected it? ugh.

I just got off the phone with a CM regarding our upcoming reservation for 5 in a 1-bedroom. She said the murphy bed problems only affected deluxe studios . . . ? Is is possible this contractor only installed these units in the studios and not in any other room categories? I'm really concerned about anyone sleeping on the pull-down, but I suppose if we show up and the "do not use this bed" sign is down it means they inspected it? ugh.
That sounds very unlikely and considering the phone CMs are wrong more often then they're right I wouldn't be surprised if both are affected, but it does sound like they are going around and securing them better right now so hopefully it will be set by check in. I heard those that needed to use the 5th sleeper were being upgraded to a 2 bedroom so just wait until you get there and see how it goes. I think you will have better luck with correct information once there.

That sounds very unlikely and considering the phone CMs are wrong more often then they're right I wouldn't be surprised if both are affected, but it does sound like they are going around and securing them better right now so hopefully it will be set by check in. I heard those that needed to use the 5th sleeper were being upgraded to a 2 bedroom so just wait until you get there and see how it goes. I think you will have better luck with correct information once there.
Some were just given air mattresses. I think they just did whatever they could to get through these first few days while they fix the issue.

The one post I read from someone said they were given an air mattress for the night. Then maintenance came in and "secured" it the next day.

when I was in construction (now retired) whenever we had a heavy object to hang we had to add a backer piece of plywood between the studs for the length of the object to be hung. It was usually 8 to 10 inches wide and centered horizontally at the height of where the the attachment takes place. Seems like that's not what they did. To much cost involved I guess. All they tried to do was ( I don't know

It’s sad. We had so many DVC vacations with our daughter starting when she was 5 years old. She’s now 30..so for many years and always felt very safe at Disney properties. I think this just shows how much their standards have changed thru the years. We just returned from an Aulani trip for my daughters wedding. We had several very scary incidents with their elevators losing lights and going into a free fall. Fortunately no one was injured. But we had to make several complaints. After the second time my daughter would not take the elevator and walked down 8 floors. We were not the only ones that experienced this. They only closed off one elevator and didn’t check them all....I chalked it up to being on Hawaiian time, but after hearing this I’m thinking they need to supervise their builders better. Sorry...got a little off subject with Aulani.

That definitely is a scary thing to happen to you and your family at Aulani!! How many in your party were on the elevator when it happened (not that it matters but just curious)?

Hmmm...no more commenting from the family involved
I wish you would link any comment from the family involved. I have never seen anything from the family involved.
Are you referring to the image in post 2 from another site which is unknown and we cannot look at, or do you have another source or direct link to comments from the family involved?

Last edited:
I wish you would link any comment from the family involved. I have never seen anything from the family involved.
Are you referring to the image in post 2 from another site which is unknown and we cannot look at, or do you have another source or direct link to comments from the family involved?
The second post here is a copy of the family’s initial post in what appears to be a Facebook group or something since the original site can’t be linked here. It’s been reported multiple places and the Murphy beds out of order has been confirmed so it lines up. I’m assuming the family has shut up because they are working with Disney or a lawyer on a settlement. The way the family phrased it that they won’t comment anymore at this time sounds right out of an intro law school text book.

The daughter of the woman involved was posting on a FB page. It has been reposted many places. I don’t know if this link will show up, but here is the original article which showed the FB post:

***LINK NOT ALLOWED***

That same person posted later and said she wouldn’t be commenting while they were working with Disney on an investigation or solution or something. I was saying, as an attorney myself, this is clearly a “Stop posting on FB if you want any compensation from Disney,” type situation.

ETA: Link isn’t allowed. I’m sure you can find it if you so choose to do so. Good night everyone. :)

when I was in construction (now retired) whenever we had a heavy object to hang we had to add a backer piece of plywood between the studs for the length of the object to be hung. It was usually 8 to 10 inches wide and centered horizontally at the height of where the the attachment takes place. Seems like that's not what they did. To much cost involved I guess. All they tried to do was ( I don't know
Probably right on this one.

It has to be screwed into wood. Drywall only provides vertical support. "Adding more anchors" isn't going to solve the problem.

I stayed at a Hampton Inn once just after a remodel. At some point while taking a shower, I braced myself against the grab bar for support (as anyone would) and pulled the entire shower enclosure right off the wall! I bet that same guy who installed that worked for a sub on this job. :laughing:

If I was paying those prices and had to deal with an air mattress I would certainly want a discount on my room too.
If I had bought very expensive DVC points for a room that claimed to sleep 5 adults and the 5th was told to sleep on an airbed in the opening week, I think I might be suffering buyer remorse and asking for a total refund of the points purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter